to keep calling Okie Light OUr "arch rivals." :rolleyes:

Newbomb Turk
2/7/2007, 10:19 PM
in basketball - they probably are.

badger
2/7/2007, 10:49 PM
this is why i like capel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbh7x_sO_9k
he's not afraid to express how everyone feels. I hope they zoom in on sutton when we beat osu today.

GottaHavePride
2/7/2007, 11:15 PM
He didn't have to pay ESPN - it was Doug ****ing Gottlieb calling the game.

mdklatt
2/7/2007, 11:42 PM
Who is our biggest basketball rival, then? Don't forget that Texas didn't take basketball seriously until about five years ago (did the SWC even have basketball?), and Nebraska never has.

picasso
2/7/2007, 11:54 PM
Gottlieb is good at what he does but it didn't take me long to see he wasn't making that much effort in his need to be neutral tonight.

colleyvillesooner
2/8/2007, 12:10 AM
I thought that was his bitch ***. They did a real good job of not mentioning his last name.

He was such a homer. He did admit when a few calls went their way unfairly, but I still think Eat-a-ton's sack is firmly planted you know where.

King Crimson
2/8/2007, 12:12 AM
Who is our biggest basketball rival, then? Don't forget that Texas didn't take basketball seriously until about five years ago (did the SWC even have basketball?), and Nebraska never has.

we owned Texas in all kinds of ways before the TJ Ford years. both Billy and Kelvin owned Tom Penders--who actually did have some decent teams at UT. one made teh sweet 16 or maybe 8 if i recall. but, to be fair, the vintage Houston teams were in the SWC, as were some good Dave Bliss SMU teams and James Dickey had a couple outstanding TTech teams right at the end of the SWC. other than that....i can't think of much. and Arkansas was pretty good before leaving for the SEC, i think Nolan won it all in 94?

Nebraska has never won an NCAA tournament game. OSU is always going to be a rival but in hoops in the Big 8, i'd say depending when you are talking about it was either KU or MU. obviously, the Big XII scheduling and UT becoming a real player with Barnes have changed that dynamic.

stoopified
2/8/2007, 12:13 AM
In the Billy Ball days it was KU because they were the best of the Big 8 and Billy wanted to dethrone them.Today ( proably since Sampson)IMHO it is a toss-up between oSu and UT because Drunk Sutton and Barnes raised their teams to where we want to be.I do know that because of their friendship Sampson and Barnes treted the B-ball version ofthe RED RIVER WAR as a very big game.I think their long-standing friendship made the game even more intense.Just because they ARE good friends didn't mean they didn't want to BEAT each other,qiute the opposite was true in fact.

With their rise from obscurity to national notice under Drunk Sutton the Sooner team AND FANS have had to accept oSu as true rivals(unlike football).Wether that continues long term under Punk Sutton remains to be seen.:)

scotplum
2/8/2007, 12:23 AM
KU, KSU, Mizzou, Iowa State....every game seemed to be a rivalry game in the Big 8 days. It was really hard to beat Big 8 basketball back in the 80s.

King Crimson
2/8/2007, 12:25 AM
KU, KSU, Mizzou, Iowa State....every game seemed to be a rivalry game in the Big 8 days. It was really hard to beat Big 8 basketball back in the 80s.

i couldn't agree more. the home and homes were great. if they got you at their place...you knew they had to back to yours. and you had to hold serve at home....

SleestakSooner
2/8/2007, 01:09 AM
Well it is "Rivalry Week" at ESPN. Aggie is most definately our rival in both b-balls. They are trying hard to catch up in foolsball but to them it's still da debil!

King Crimson
2/8/2007, 01:31 AM
in football season, the last 2 weeks of October all through T-Giving are "Rivalry Week" on ESPN.

GoState
2/8/2007, 02:09 AM

I agree. I loved having KU/MU/KSU at GIA every year. The Big 12 is a pretty good product though. As we have proved this year, there is no sure 'win' in the Big 12. For years, OSU and OU could count on 4 sure wins against Baylor and A&M. That's just not the case anymore.