PDA

View Full Version : Bands that are better than The Beatles.....

OUAndy1807
2/7/2007, 06:36 PM
The Kinks
The Band
Neil Young and Crazy Horse
David Bowie (during the Ziggy Stardust years)
Neutral Milk Hotel

I'm sure I'll think of more.

TheUnnamedSooner
2/7/2007, 06:37 PM
I can only think of one band that isn't better - oasis

soonerboomer93
2/7/2007, 06:55 PM
crack kills...

Octavian
2/7/2007, 06:59 PM
C&C Music Factory

New Kids On The Block

Cinderella

Limp Bizkit

Soul Asylum

Lisa Loeb and Nine Stories

Zwan

Kris Kross

obviously those....just off the top of my head

C&CDean
2/7/2007, 07:02 PM
It looks like I'm gonna have to go on a nimrod banfest this evening.

Octavian
2/7/2007, 07:06 PM
oh...and 98 degrees

Milli Vanilli

Crash Test Dummies

Color Me Badd

Whitesnake

Michael Bolton

ICP

BigRedJed
2/7/2007, 07:19 PM
I think my sarcasm detector is going off...

BigRedJed
2/7/2007, 07:20 PM
I was about to post that this thread might as well have been titled "which football programs are better than OU?" but I think Octavian covered all of the bases here. Either that or he really hates the Beatles. A lot.

soonerboomer93
2/7/2007, 07:25 PM
Ace of Base
Ashlee Simpson

1stTimeCaller
2/7/2007, 07:28 PM
Billy Gillman

Rogue
2/7/2007, 07:57 PM
This thread could easily go 9 pages.

C&CDean
2/7/2007, 08:04 PM
This thread could easily go 9 pages.

Wanna bet?

BigRedJed
2/7/2007, 08:19 PM
Heh.

soonerboomer93
2/7/2007, 08:36 PM
Bread - Cause sicem says they're panty droppers

Widescreen
2/7/2007, 08:42 PM
Dissing the Beatles earns you a fast track to Hades. Just sayin.

SoonerStormchaser
2/7/2007, 08:52 PM
WILLIAM HUNG!

THREAD...OVER!!!

VeeJay
2/7/2007, 09:33 PM
Two:

Men At Work

Flock of Seagulls

royalfan5
2/7/2007, 09:51 PM
Ringo's All Starr Band.

jacru
2/7/2007, 10:02 PM
Riiiiiiiiight! :rolleyes:

Tailwind
2/7/2007, 10:43 PM
Amazing! Anyone who disses the Beatles gets their cool card pulled. The end.

sooneron
2/7/2007, 11:18 PM
Vitamin Z

watch it if you dare!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqsIUu4q5ts

TUSooner
2/7/2007, 11:52 PM
If by "better" you mean "worse" then I agree.

SleestakSooner
2/8/2007, 02:08 AM
Doesn't OU have a music appreciation course totally dedicated to The Beatles?

Why do you hate OU? :rolleyes:

OUAndy1807
2/8/2007, 07:23 AM
wow.

I'm not saying the Beatles weren't a great band. They obviously were, but there are better.

btw: The best track ever recorded by a Beatle wasn't a Beatles song. It was the live version of Venus and Mars/Rock Show from Wings Across America

also, does anyone else think that the Beach Boys songs all sound so similar that they should have just saved time and recorded the same song over and over? One. Trick. Ponies.

Xstnlsooner
2/8/2007, 07:57 AM
Sometimes some of you guys absolutely amaze me!!

(shaking head....)

soonerboomer93
2/8/2007, 08:17 AM
i'm still waiting on you to list any one better

The Kinks? some cool stuff, but better, nope
Neil Young - eh, after 2 songs i'm done with him for the year
The Band - uh
David Bowie - please
Neutral Milk Hotel - wtf is this, I mean really

TUSooner
2/8/2007, 09:33 AM
wow.

I'm not saying the Beatles weren't a great band. They obviously were, but there are better.

btw: The best track ever recorded by a Beatle wasn't a Beatles song. It was the live version of Venus and Mars/Rock Show from Wings Across America

also, does anyone else think that the Beach Boys songs all sound so similar that they should have just saved time and recorded the same song over and over? One. Trick. Ponies.

You're actually serious, aren't you?

:eek:

sanantoniosooner
2/8/2007, 09:40 AM
You're actually serious, aren't you?

:eek:
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88931:D

TUSooner
2/8/2007, 09:47 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88931:D
Yeah, that's exactly what I first thought. But I'm not so sure anymore. ;)

85Sooner
2/8/2007, 04:01 PM
Dissing the Beatles earns you a fast track to Hades. Just sayin.

Yes it does.

Rogue
2/8/2007, 09:24 PM
I still dig me some Beach Boys. At one time there was a "medley" out that would back up Andy's point, but I still like 'em.

MamaMia
2/8/2007, 09:29 PM
Has anybody said Fleetwood Mac?

sanantoniosooner
2/8/2007, 09:36 PM
If Chili's could have a "Beatles Night" Andy could live it up.

sooneron
2/8/2007, 10:06 PM
Andy, you don't know music if you think all Beach Boys songs are the same. Buy a clue and Pet Sounds, while you're at it.

OUAndy1807
2/8/2007, 10:13 PM
Andy, you don't know music if you think all Beach Boys songs are the same. Buy a clue and Pet Sounds, while you're at it.

most overrated album ever. what would you have me listen to, Sloop Jon B? That's Not Me?

sooneron
2/8/2007, 10:16 PM
:rolleyes: lost cause

First of all, it's not some crap pop album where you just pick up at one song. It's this thing called a CONCEPT album, which is to be listened to on the merits of the whole. Kind of like OK Computer. It's from a time when artists were trying to make albums, not stars being forced to follow formula and put 4 hits on a record and call it a day.

OUAndy1807
2/8/2007, 10:20 PM
good point.

BigRedJed
2/9/2007, 02:50 AM
most overrated album ever. what would you have me listen to, Sloop Jon B? That's Not Me?
God Only Knows is one of the greatest songs, EVAR. Do not question the greatness that was/is Brian Wilson. Or the greatness that was Pet Sounds. Even the Beatles were in awe.

BigRedJed
2/9/2007, 02:58 AM
I think that all albums/artists suffer due to what has come since. You need to have experienced them at the time to have truly appreciated the paradigm shift. Pet Sounds, Sargeant Pepper and others might sound tame now, but at the time they were light years beyond what anyone had heard before. Even Hendrix sounds tame now. But if you heard these coming out of your AM radio or your hi-fi at the time of release, you would have surely **** your pants.

Everything that they did then has been repackaged a thousand times by less talented people who had the benefit of not only hearing what had gone before, but also of continuously improving recording technology. Don't discount the innovative nature of bands like the Beatles or the Beach Boys. Everyone since owes EVERYTHING to them.

King Crimson
2/9/2007, 03:06 AM
Andy's wrong, and I like Andy. and I'm a big Bowie/Ziggy/Hunky Dory/Man Who Sold the World fan and most of the other bands Andy likes in the first post. Neutral Milk Hotel put out two great LP's and an EP....and is essentially one guy: Jeff Mangum. and a couple other folks from Ruston, LA who ended up in Denver and a part of a cross band collective called Elephant 6. included among these: the Apples in Stereo. who, along with XTC, are among the best to take the post-Peppers pop structure to heart and make good original music and some of it outright homage. NMH is pretty Beatles-esque most of the time. not as much as the Apples, but it's there. especially in the George Martin or Revolver type recording fuzz sonic quality.

anyhoo, Apples have their first record out in 5 years, featuring none other than Jeff Mangum. hey ho.

def_lazer_fc
2/9/2007, 03:33 AM
the beatles were amazing. not only the music, but the moment in time they were doing it. incredible. so many acts these days can thank the beatles. but i will give it up for the band. absolutely incredible.

Frozen Sooner
2/9/2007, 05:31 AM
God Only Knows is one of the greatest songs, EVAR. Do not question the greatness that was/is Brian Wilson. Or the greatness that was Pet Sounds. Even the Beatles were in awe.

Brian Wilson was so amazing that Barenaked Ladies were able to even write a pretty good song about him.

OUAndy1807
2/9/2007, 08:25 AM
you guys must have missed the post where I said the Beatles were great. I'm not denying that. Revolver might be the best album ever. But Sgt Peppers? Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite? When I'm 64? Good Morning, Good Morning?

There are a few Beach Boys songs that I like "Wouldn't it be nice" "God Only Knows" "Don't Talk", but most of those other songs are passable at best. oh, and how could I have forgotten Kokomo? Surfin Safari, Be True to Your School, Little Deuce Coupe, Fun, Fun, Fun, I Get Around, they all sound the same to me.

and obviously I'm being a little over the top here for effect. Both bands were hugely influential, probably the 2 most influential ever and you can't deny that, but does that make them the greatest? Above questioning even?

C&CDean
2/9/2007, 09:44 AM
Hey Andy,

How about saying "there's lots of bands I like better than The Beatles?"

With that statement you're safe. When you list some garage band outta Denver or whoever the **** that is that you and King Crimson dig as "better than The Beatles" that's like saying Norman High is better than the Sooners. I like the bands you mentioned (other than the one nobody's ever heard of), but there's no way in hell any of them are "better" than The Beatles. You just like them more than you like The Beatles.

sanantoniosooner
2/9/2007, 10:09 AM
If we are in the mood to rip highly influential bands I'd suggest the BeeGees.

C&CDean
2/9/2007, 10:14 AM
If we are in the mood to rip highly influential bands I'd suggest the BeeGees.

:eek: One. Post. From. Banishment. :eek:

sanantoniosooner
2/9/2007, 10:16 AM
:eek: One. Post. From. Banishment. :eek:
I knew you "cattle called" in falsetto.

C&CDean
2/9/2007, 10:20 AM
Nothing brings them bitches in better than "ooh ooh ooh ooh stayin' aliiiiiive aaaahivvvve aaahiiiiiiiiivvvve aaaahiiiiiivvvveee....."

SoonerGirl06
2/9/2007, 10:22 AM
What about the Rolling Stones? They definitely had some amazing songs IMO... Satisfaction, Paint It Black.. etc.

King Crimson
2/9/2007, 10:23 AM
Hey Andy,

With that statement you're safe. When you list some garage band outta Denver or whoever the **** that is that you and King Crimson dig as "better than The Beatles" that's like saying Norman High is better than the Sooners. I like the bands you mentioned (other than the one nobody's ever heard of), but there's no way in hell any of them are "better" than The Beatles. You just like them more than you like The Beatles.

you don't read well do ya. see that part where i say "Andy is wrong" in my post....it's about the initial thread premise. i then go on to talk about the Beatles influence on the band he says is better (and they are a good band, but it's not a valid comparison--which is the point of my response there).

i've been consistent over 7 years of nonsense music posting on this board as a shameless "Beatles are the best" guy. and as recently as yesterday in a different thread. so, there are no fish in your pond.

sanantoniosooner
2/9/2007, 10:25 AM
One. Post. From. Bannishment.

SoonerGirl06
2/9/2007, 10:28 AM
Nothing brings them bitches in better than "ooh ooh ooh ooh stayin' aliiiiiive aaaahivvvve aaahiiiiiiiiivvvve aaaahiiiiiivvvveee....."

Hey Sicem... take note... :D

King Crimson
2/9/2007, 10:29 AM
Hillary Clinton is a robot. i'm convinced of it.

edit: wrong thread.

C&CDean
2/9/2007, 10:39 AM
you don't read well do ya. see that part where i say "Andy is wrong" in my post....it's about the initial thread premise. i then go on to talk about the Beatles influence on the band he says is better (and they are a good band, but it's not a valid comparison--which is the point of my response there).

i've been consistent over 7 years of nonsense music posting on this board as a shameless "Beatles are the best" guy. and as recently as yesterday in a different thread. so, there are no fish in your pond.

Huh? Sensitive much? I don't believe I said a word about you liking anybody better than anybody else. You just mentioned you knew about that band that Andy listed that nobody else ever heard of. That's it. Nothing more. I have several ponds, but I ain't fishing.

King Crimson
2/9/2007, 10:49 AM
Huh? Sensitive much? I don't believe I said a word about you liking anybody better than anybody else. You just mentioned you knew about that band that Andy listed that nobody else ever heard of. That's it. Nothing more. I have several ponds, but I ain't fishing.

you say "that band that you and King Crimson like that is better than the Beatles...".

whatever. it could be read a couple different ways...if i overreacted, my bad.

seriously, i'm not trying to pick a fight. i had enough of that last week. but, you know, you did include me in your dismissal of Andy. it seemed out of the blue....

no need to talk about it anymore on my end.

C&CDean
2/9/2007, 10:53 AM
KC,

XXOO

And I'm going to the Anthony Gomes show at the Route 66 Roadhouse tonight. Doors open at 7, show starts at 9:30. He's good, but he's no Paul McCartney...

King Crimson
2/9/2007, 11:04 AM
Gomes is good. but, i don't like being asked out on dates i can't make. or in public.

what is the 66 Roadhouse venue? is that what they are calling the Rentiesville/DC Minner place these days?

C&CDean
2/9/2007, 11:13 AM
Gomes is good. but, i don't like being asked out on dates i can't make. or in public.

what is the 66 Roadhouse venue? is that what they are calling the Rentiesville/DC Minner place these days?

Actually, I do have one extra ticket.

I've never been to the Route 66 Roadhouse. It's on NW 39th by Meridian. I'm a southern hillbilly (south of Norman) and ain't really familiar with the northside, yo. When I get up there I may go "ah, this used to be ........."

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/9/2007, 11:32 AM
What about the Rolling Stones? They definitely had some amazing songs IMO... Satisfaction, Paint It Black.. etc.The Stones are good, but if it weren't for the Beatles there wouldn't have been a British Invasion. Great bands like The Stones and The Monkees followed them.

BigRedJed
2/9/2007, 11:34 AM
The Stones are good, but if it weren't for the Beatles there wouldn't have been a British Invasion. Great bands like The Stones and The Monkees followed them.
Actually, if it weren't for the Dave Clark Five there wouldn't have been a British Invasion.

Well, it probably still would have happened, but they were the first. And it probably still would have happened without the Beatles, too.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/9/2007, 11:37 AM
Dave Clark Five may have been first, but as far as standing the test of time, they aren't The Beatles.

PS I still blame Yoko Ono for The Beatles break up.

Viking Kitten
2/9/2007, 11:41 AM
The Monkees thing was a joke, right? I'm just checking.

BigRedJed
2/9/2007, 11:43 AM
Dave Clark Five may have been first, but as far as standing the test of time, they aren't The Beatles.

PS I still blame Yoko Ono for The Beatles break up.
I never said they were the Beatles, or that they have stood the test of time the way the Beatles did. But the kids went wild over them, and they started the British Invasion. Your original post suggested the British Invasion wouldn't have happened without the Beatles. All I was saying was that your statement wasn't entirely accurate.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/9/2007, 11:48 AM
I never said they were the Beatles, or that they have stood the test of time the way the Beatles did. But the kids went wild over them, and they started the British Invasion. Your original post suggested the British Invasion wouldn't have happened without the Beatles. All I was saying was that your statement wasn't entirely accurate.Oh I know. We're in agreement.

VK--No joke about The Monkees. They are the best band EVAR! They started the whole Boy Band Craze. No Monkees = No NKOTB.

sanantoniosooner
2/9/2007, 11:49 AM
Oh I know. We're in agreement.

VK--No joke about The Monkees. They are the best band EVAR! They started the whole Boy Band Craze. No Monkees = No NKOTB.
You mean I can stop the whole thing as soon as my time machine arrives from ebay?

sooneron
2/9/2007, 11:52 AM
No Monkees = No NKOTB.
YOu seem to think that it would have been a bad thing.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/9/2007, 12:00 PM
YOu seem to think that it would have been a bad thing.Well, I was a teenage girl in the 80s.

C&CDean
2/9/2007, 12:05 PM
No love for Hermit's Hermits?

IB4OU2
2/9/2007, 12:06 PM

or Paul Revere and the Raiders?

C&CDean
2/9/2007, 12:07 PM
"Cherokee people, du du du du, cherokee tribe, so proud to live, so proud to die....."

BigRedJed
2/9/2007, 03:29 PM
...VK--No joke about The Monkees. They are the best band EVAR! They started the whole Boy Band Craze. No Monkees = No NKOTB.
Wow. Suddenly I hate the Monkees. I always loved them before reading that post.

I wish the Monkees would register on SF so's I could neg 'em into Bolivian.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/9/2007, 03:37 PM
Wow. Suddenly I hate the Monkees. I always loved them before reading that post.

I wish the Monkees would register on SF so's I could neg 'em into Bolivian.Sorry, my license to create troll handles of "famous" musical acts has been revoked.

OUAndy1807
2/9/2007, 03:44 PM
so in summation:
Dean asked KC on a man-date
BRJ and SBSB hate each other now
VK hates Davey Jones
The first 10 posts in a sf.com thread are still always sarcastic
I still generally don't like the Beach Boys
and, everyone hates me

BigRedJed
2/9/2007, 03:46 PM
...I still generally don't like the Beach Boys
and, everyone hates me
Don't take it so hard. Now I feel bad for negspeking you. Well, not really, but a little bit.

Also, thanks for the meeting minutes. Move to adjourn.

Frozen Sooner
2/9/2007, 03:48 PM
Seconded.

OSUAggie
2/9/2007, 03:50 PM

Who? Are they related to Herman's version?

Petro-Sooner
2/9/2007, 03:52 PM
Motley Crue

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/9/2007, 03:58 PM
so in summation:
VK hates Davey Jones
and, everyone hates meI move to strike "BRJ and SBSB hate each other now" from the minutes.

The Monkees were an early day boy band, not that that's a bad thing.

Viking Kitten
2/9/2007, 04:34 PM
Please let the record reflect that I don't hate Davy Jones or the Monkees.

However, someone mentioning them in the same breath as the Rolling Stones makes me want to curl up in the fetal position and softly weep.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/9/2007, 04:43 PM
And if it pleases the body, let it also be known that I didn't realize use of the ;) was required of posts which use sarcasm, i.e. placing The Monkees in the same sentence with The Stones.

C&CDean
2/9/2007, 04:45 PM
To be honest, I've probably still got a couple Monkee's 45's laying around up in the attic. I don't own (and would never own) anything of the Stones. They just never did it for me. No, I'm not saying The Monkees > The Stones, I'm just saying I don't like the stones.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/9/2007, 04:46 PM
Uh oh The Dean has spoken. . .I sense a VK/Dean throwdown.

Viking Kitten
2/9/2007, 04:48 PM
Wait... was that sarcasm again?

Fugue
2/9/2007, 04:48 PM

Nope, Dean has no Stones.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/9/2007, 04:53 PM
No, I'm dead serious. My money's on you though.

SleestakSooner
2/9/2007, 05:18 PM
so in summation:
VK hates Davey Jones
and, everyone hates me

Well... one out of three ain't bad :rolleyes:

C&CDean
2/9/2007, 05:26 PM

I can't get no, meh meh meh, that's what I say...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/9/2007, 05:27 PM
could neg 'em into Bolivian.Is that an original joke from you? Whatever, not bad!

Viking Kitten
2/9/2007, 05:29 PM
Dean makes me sad sometimes.

OUAndy1807
2/9/2007, 05:39 PM
To be honest, I've probably still got a couple Monkee's 45's laying around up in the attic. I don't own (and would never own) anything of the Stones. They just never did it for me. No, I'm not saying The Monkees > The Stones, I'm just saying I don't like the stones.
I'm kind of with Dean on this one. I like the early stones stuff alright, but it just never did anything for me.

soonerboomer93
2/9/2007, 06:49 PM
I'm not big on the Stones either, some of their stuff is good, most of it, well...

Personally, I have the biggest attachment to Pink Floyd and prefer them over the Beatles, but I do have an extensive Beatles library. Is one band better then the other, I don't know, they're pretty equal in my mind, but I connect better to Floyd in general. However, I will immediately change the radio station everytime I hear "Money".

soonerboomer93
2/9/2007, 06:51 PM
Is that an original joke from you? Whatever, not bad!

there are no longer any original jokes on the board, everyone on here just keeps recycling the same jokes

:pop:

Rogue
2/9/2007, 06:58 PM
Does great = influential? I'm not so sure. It's obviously an opinion.
In the top songs of all time, how many are Beatles songs? Albums, they
probably get the nod, but not songs.

The short list of those that are, IMO, > Beatles includes:
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Dave Matthews Band (yup I said it)
Pink Floyd
Pearl Jam
Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys (for the record they ARE in the R&R HOF)
Several Jazz legends that aren't bands but still...
Robert Johnson
Miles
Coltrane
Dizzy
Satchmo

OUAndy1807
2/9/2007, 07:38 PM
Does great = influential? I'm not so sure. It's obviously an opinion.

I wasn't going to bring it up, but since you did.

On the subject of Neutral Milk Hotel. KC says that they can't be better than the Beatles because they were influenced by the Beatles? By this definition, wouldn't all music be inferior to the first gruntings or a caveman?

and btw, I like KC and think he is the most music-knowledgable poster on the board for what it's worth.

soonerboomer93
2/9/2007, 07:42 PM
don't make the caveman angry now

King Crimson
2/9/2007, 08:09 PM
I wasn't going to bring it up, but since you did.

On the subject of Neutral Milk Hotel. KC says that they can't be better than the Beatles because they were influenced by the Beatles? By this definition, wouldn't all music be inferior to the first gruntings or a caveman?

and btw, I like KC and think he is the most music-knowledgable poster on the board for what it's worth.

fair question, and i'll answer it this way--much as I would the standing claim often made in the early 90's by U2 (another pretender to the "we are a better band than the Beatles" throne).

in 1967 and 1968. the Beatles released Sgt. Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, and the double sided White Album.

name a band that can match that production in what was really a year and a half. it takes U2 4 years to make one record, consistently through their history....the Beatles made 6 album sides in a year and a half.

Jeff Mangum is probably a musical genius (and at minimum the King of Carrot Flowers), but until he writes throwaway songs like Day Tripper, Paperback Writer, We can work it out, and on and on......he ain't a Beatle. He ain't John Lennon.

King Crimson
2/9/2007, 08:20 PM
and on the issue of influence...art is all about stealing. but the George Martin style production on Avery Island at minimum.....is all Beatles. as are most of the Flaming Lips records....the background vocals are all Magical Mystery Tour. Wayne has copped to it. more than once.

TUSooner
2/9/2007, 10:06 PM
Hey Andy,

At the risk of agreeing with Dean too much, this thread could have ended right there.
I gave my first serious listen to the Beatles (Ed Sullivan doesn't count) when somebody gave my dad "Abbey Road." That album (the last one they recorded, naturally :rolleyes) blew my mind. Ripped it wide open. And I wasn't even a pothead or anything yet. So the Beatles were pretty much broken apart by the time I became a fan, but I grabbed every Beatle sound I could get my hands on. None of those popular 70s bands, or anybody else, ever could, or ever has, come close in my mind to - I dunno - the richness, depth, creativity, imagination, humor, and just plain ****ing good sounds of the Beatles. I don't like every Beatle song, and I like other music, but for me nobody will EVER be "better" than the Beatles. Nev-ver. If somebody doesn't like them, so be it. (They're wrong, ignorant, and stupid, but so be it. ;) ) If you can't or won't appreciate them by hearing, you won't appreciate them by my arguing about them.

tbl
2/9/2007, 10:51 PM
The Kinks
The Band
Neil Young and Crazy Horse
David Bowie (during the Ziggy Stardust years)

These are good, without a doubt... but better than the Beatles? Sorry. No band will ever be better than the Beatles. It's just not possible...

OUAndy1807
2/10/2007, 12:02 AM
the second half of Abbey Road is probably my favorite album side. Can you imagine if the Beatles has ended their career together with the "and in the end...the love you take is equal to the love you make" I'm not going to act like it's not pure genious.

Unfortunately, I think it's A side of Abbey Road that has this gem:
Bang Bang, Maxwell's Silver Hammer came down upon his head.

King Crimson
2/10/2007, 08:57 AM
on the subject of the Rolling Stones, the stretch of records Beggar's Banquet, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street, and Let it Bleed........is pretty ****ing incredible.

possibly the best ever, in the "classic rock" demographic (thank you Clear Channel). for yer money's worth, that's some good stuff.

King Crimson
2/10/2007, 09:04 AM
the second half of Abbey Road is probably my favorite album side. Can you imagine if the Beatles has ended their career together with the "and in the end...the love you take is equal to the love you make" I'm not going to act like it's not pure genious.

Unfortunately, I think it's A side of Abbey Road that has this gem:
Bang Bang, Maxwell's Silver Hammer came down upon his head.

well, Maxwell is (yet another) Paulie stinker (Martha My Dear? Honey Pie?). Kids love that stuff, like Yellow Submarine. but i digress...

technically, "and in the end...." is the last thing they recorded, I think. Let it Be came out after Abbey Road but was recorded earlier....is that right?

the rooftop set of "Get Back" (the best version of this song, Lennon is killing on guitar,,,and the reprise is among the best moments in rock music), "Don't Let me Down" etc. is about the coolest thing ever. so much so, at the height of hating on the Beatles in every music mag there was in the late 80's, the Joshua Tree era U2 straight copped it for the "Where the Streets have No Name" video......rooftop concert?

tbl
2/10/2007, 11:57 AM
technically, "and in the end...." is the last thing they recorded, I think. Let it Be came out after Abbey Road but was recorded earlier....is that right?

the rooftop set of "Get Back" (the best version of this song, Lennon is killing on guitar,,,and the reprise is among the best moments in rock music), "Don't Let me Down" etc. is about the coolest thing ever. so much so, at the height of hating on the Beatles in every music mag there was in the late 80's, the Joshua Tree era U2 straight copped it for the "Where the Streets have No Name" video......rooftop concert?

Well technically, the last song was Her Majesty, but yes, Abbey Road was recorded after the Let it be sessions.

It's almost impossible to find a favorite Beatles song (I started threads on another board titled "my favorite Beatles song for the moment"), but "Don't let me down" is always one of those right towards the top. What a fantastic song. I prefer the Past Masters version over the Let it be version, but I do like the "Pleeeeaase" part on the LIB version that goes throughout the end.

tbl
2/10/2007, 11:58 AM
Finchy!!!!
http://www.wernhamhogg.co.uk/images/castandcharacters/chrisfinch.gif

King Crimson
2/10/2007, 02:44 PM
Well technically, the last song was Her Majesty, but yes, Abbey Road was recorded after the Let it be sessions.

It's almost impossible to find a favorite Beatles song (I started threads on another board titled "my favorite Beatles song for the moment"), but "Don't let me down" is always one of those right towards the top. What a fantastic song. I prefer the Past Masters version over the Let it be version, but I do like the "Pleeeeaase" part on the LIB version that goes throughout the end.

yer right, thanks for the correction. forgot about that. as a fave, i'll go with you've got to hind your love away.

sooneron
2/10/2007, 03:57 PM
I'd have to say "revolution". It's hard for me to really have that one definitive great Beatles' song. I think that's the mark of a great band.
I also like A Day In The Life, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Dear Prudence, Back in The USSR, Something, Come Together, For No One, I Want To Tell You, Get Back...

Hell, I may have to move Come Together into no. 1, as it seemed so far ahead of it's time. With SLIGHT re-working, it could have been on Pretty Hate Machine by NIN.

I agree about the Stones' run of the albums mentioned by KC. Sick run of vinyl there.

DeadSolidPerfect
2/10/2007, 06:41 PM
None.
Unless you include the ProudStroudSound, Stroud High School Marching Band.

tbl
2/10/2007, 10:51 PM
Even the older songs are amazing. "That boy" and "Yes it is" are right up there with the rest of them.

Of course the real discussion comes with your favorite Beatle. For me it's always been John, by a landslide.

Rogue
2/11/2007, 10:01 AM
:les: You guys are getting way off topic!

Rogue
2/17/2007, 01:34 PM
Bump.

LittleWingSooner
2/17/2007, 01:40 PM
The Beatles are the most influential band ever. They have the best songwriting duo ever, one of the most underrated talents ever in George Harrison, and he's only underrated because the giants Paul and John were. Ringo is probably the weak link of the band, and he has a good voice. I like some bands more then the Beatles. But the Beatles probably did more for popular music then any band could ever do. Cream, Yardbirds, Zeppelin, ZZ Top, Rush, probably all have more musical talent. But the Beatles have so much respect over any band.

Rogue
2/17/2007, 04:39 PM
Here we go with "influence" again. Elvis Presley, anyone?

Even though I'm not a Beatles apologist, what on earth is ZZ Top doing in your list of talent?