PDA

View Full Version : Should the NCAA take interest into looking at Tennessee???

OU_Sooners75
2/7/2007, 06:33 PM
How in the hell can any one program recruit nothing but 4 and 5 star recruits?

Better yet, how the hell can Fat Phil Fulmer get around long enough to recruit 5 - 5 star recruits and 11 - 4 star recruits?

I can see how USC does it, they have the NCAA in their pockets obviously. But Tennessee?

Spanish Sooner
2/7/2007, 06:50 PM
wouldn't it be great if an alabama coach were to blow the whistle(if there is any rule breaking going on) on tennesse

NorthernIowaSooner
2/7/2007, 07:37 PM
are they greyshirting a ton of guys or what, i thought the NCAA only allowed schools to give out a maximum of 25 schollys a year

goingoneight
2/7/2007, 08:37 PM
100,000 fans is the only positive I see.

Negatives:
Boring and overrated SEC
Mediocre records as of late
Orange
Having "volunteer" as your mascot

I could go on...

OU_Sooners75
2/7/2007, 09:01 PM
are they greyshirting a ton of guys or what, i thought the NCAA only allowed schools to give out a maximum of 25 schollys a year

They do, but it is cumlative.

LSUdeek
2/7/2007, 09:04 PM
Boring and overrated SEC

I'd say we erased at the very least the second of these adjectives with a 41-14 pasting of tOSU by the conference champs.

OU_Sooners75
2/7/2007, 09:06 PM
I'd say we erased at the very least the second of these adjectives with a 41-14 pasting of tOSU by the conference champs.

name one other comference champion that tOSU beat?

LMFAO...OU could have done better against Florida!

LSUdeek
2/7/2007, 09:07 PM
How in the hell can any one program recruit nothing but 4 and 5 star recruits?

Better yet, how the hell can Fat Phil Fulmer get around long enough to recruit 5 - 5 star recruits and 11 - 4 star recruits?

I can see how USC does it, they have the NCAA in their pockets obviously. But Tennessee?

With 34 signees, 9 of those have to not make it to school.....

Harry Beanbag
2/7/2007, 09:34 PM

:confused:

Frozen Sooner
2/7/2007, 09:50 PM

No, it's not. The maximum number of new scholarships you can offer in an year is 25. However, people who enroll for the winter semester can count against either year's limits.

fwsooner22
2/7/2007, 10:25 PM
what the heck does cumlative mean??????????

MiccoMacey
2/8/2007, 12:01 AM
cu - Colorado University

mu - A Sorority there

la - a note that follows so

tive - old archaic Greek word that means "what"

In other words, a Colorado University Sorority is saying, "So What".

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/8/2007, 01:08 AM
cu - Colorado University

mu - A Sorority there

la - a note that follows so

tive - old archaic Greek word that means "what"

In other words, a Colorado University Sorority is saying, "So What"."I'll have what he's having."

OU_Sooners75
2/8/2007, 06:57 AM
No, it's not. The maximum number of new scholarships you can offer in an year is 25. However, people who enroll for the winter semester can count against either year's limits.

Right now the number of scholarshipa each Division 1-A team is allowed is set at 85. It does not say how those 85 scholarships are to be divided per season.

Furthermore, if there is a bylaw stating how many for each season I have yet to find it. However, I am continuing to look.

Hence the reason I said it is cumulative, or a running total.

Frozen Sooner
2/8/2007, 01:04 PM
Right now the number of scholarshipa each Division 1-A team is allowed is set at 85. It does not say how those 85 scholarships are to be divided per season.

Furthermore, if there is a bylaw stating how many for each season I have yet to find it. However, I am continuing to look.

Hence the reason I said it is cumulative, or a running total.

Took me all of about 5 minutes.

NCAA Bylaw 15.5.5.1

There shall be an annual limit of 25 on the number of initial counters (per Bylaw 15.02.3.1) and an annual limit of 85 on the total number of counters (including initial counters) in football at each Division I-A institution. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/92)

linkydo (https://goomer.ncaa.org/wdbctx/lsdbi/LSDBi.LSDBiPackage.DisplayBylaw?p_Division=1&p_IndexName=ManualIndex&p_PkValue=1096&p_TextTerms=(football)&p_TitleTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDuplic ated&p_BylawNum=15.5.5.1&p_Text=1_15_5_5_1.HTML&p_ViewAdopted=Adopted&p_BylawType=0&p_ProposedDate=&p_AdoptedDate=&p_EffectiveDate=01-JAN-2000&p_HeadFoot=1&p_CallCount=1)

MiccoMacey
2/8/2007, 04:28 PM
Mike Rich.

Book, Chapter, and Verse. With a picture included. :D

Harry Beanbag
2/8/2007, 05:16 PM
I can't believe Mike had to look that up and post a link for somebody. That's like kindergarten level recruiting knowledge.

Frozen Sooner
2/8/2007, 07:23 PM
I can't believe Mike had to look that up and post a link for somebody. That's like kindergarten level recruiting knowledge.

Oh, I didn't have to. I enjoy being a smarty-pants know-it-all.

OU_Sooners75
2/8/2007, 08:37 PM
Took me all of about 5 minutes.

NCAA Bylaw 15.5.5.1

There shall be an annual limit of 25 on the number of initial counters (per Bylaw 15.02.3.1) and an annual limit of 85 on the total number of counters (including initial counters) in football at each Division I-A institution. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/92)

linkydo (https://goomer.ncaa.org/wdbctx/lsdbi/LSDBi.LSDBiPackage.DisplayBylaw?p_Division=1&p_IndexName=ManualIndex&p_PkValue=1096&p_TextTerms=(football)&p_TitleTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDuplic ated&p_BylawNum=15.5.5.1&p_Text=1_15_5_5_1.HTML&p_ViewAdopted=Adopted&p_BylawType=0&p_ProposedDate=&p_AdoptedDate=&p_EffectiveDate=01-JAN-2000&p_HeadFoot=1&p_CallCount=1)

LOL....sweet. I was looking in chapter 13 when I was looking. but gave up and went to bed.

Thanks.

OU_Sooners75
2/8/2007, 08:38 PM

:mad:

VolinArizona
2/10/2007, 10:51 AM
With 34 signees, 9 of those have to not make it to school.....

32 signees. Plus, you can sign as many as you want, but you can never have over 85 scholarships at one time. Tennessee will greyshirt some, some will go to Prep school, and some count towards last year's class.

Phil Fulmer, as much as I dislike his results the last 8 years, has always been a fantastic recruiter. Coming to Knoxville is similiar to going to Norman. Oklahoma has more tradition than Tennessee, for sure, but Tennessee is a top 10 all time program.

BajaOklahoma
2/10/2007, 02:49 PM
Tennessee is a top 10 all time program.

This makes me laugh. A lot.

VolinArizona
2/10/2007, 05:27 PM
This makes me laugh. A lot.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/calc-wp.pl?start=1869&end=2006&rpct=30&min=5&se=on&by=Win+Pct

Ground_Attack
2/10/2007, 11:12 PM
winning percentage isn't the only measuring stick.

VolinArizona
2/10/2007, 11:22 PM
winning percentage isn't the only measuring stick.

Yes, I know. However, winning games is the is the biggest measuring stick there is. It's not like I'm saying Tennessee is one of the 2-3 best, because we aren't. But we're within the top 10.

BajaOklahoma
2/13/2007, 01:33 AM
Yes, I know. However, winning games is the is the biggest measuring stick there is. It's not like I'm saying Tennessee is one of the 2-3 best, because we aren't. But we're within the top 10.

Sorry, but your overall strength of schedule over the years doesn't quite cut it. You played a lot of weak teams over the years and should have beaten them.
Your program is on the rise, and you have done well recently. But it takes decades to establish yourself as a traditional power and you aren't there yet.

Harry Beanbag
2/13/2007, 06:31 AM
I don't know what you guys are talking about, Tennessee is most definitely a top 10 program.

VolinArizona
2/13/2007, 09:06 AM
Sorry, but your overall strength of schedule over the years doesn't quite cut it. You played a lot of weak teams over the years and should have beaten them.
Your program is on the rise, and you have done well recently. But it takes decades to establish yourself as a traditional power and you aren't there yet.

What?! Tennessee's SOS is always one of the strongest in the nation, and usually the best in the SEC. Tennessee has been around for a very very very long time, hence being in the top 10 winning % since 1869.

Eighteen freaking sixty-nine!

I think you're either trying to get me riled up or truly know little history outside of Oklahoma.

VolinArizona
2/13/2007, 09:46 AM
To whoever said this in my rep - "You can be mad at my comment without cussing - your momma taught you to cuss at old ladies? Hope not."

Show me where I cussed in this thread.

RedStripe
2/13/2007, 10:00 AM
Go **** yourself Sooner. You *** licker.
Here you go ;)

OSUAggie
2/13/2007, 11:11 AM

heh... Kinda like playin' in the Big 8?

VolinArizona
2/13/2007, 01:24 PM
Here you go ;)

Hahahaha! Now THAT is the kind of stuff I like. You made me laugh in my cubicle.

MiccoMacey
2/13/2007, 05:36 PM
32 signees. Plus, you can sign as many as you want, but you can never have over 85 scholarships at one time. Tennessee will greyshirt some, some will go to Prep school, and some count towards last year's class.

NCAA Bylaw 15.5.5.1

Apparently not as many as you like, but as many as you can hide.

VolinArizona
2/13/2007, 08:10 PM
NCAA Bylaw 15.5.5.1

Apparently not as many as you like, but as many as you can hide.

Kinda like when Oklahoma signed 28 in 2006 and 27 in 2005? Obviously through greyshirts, academics, and what not, ALL schools have been able to stay within that bylaw.

MiccoMacey
2/14/2007, 12:45 PM
Kinda like when Oklahoma signed 28 in 2006 and 27 in 2005? Obviously through greyshirts, academics, and what not, ALL schools have been able to stay within that bylaw.

That's what I was saying. We were saying the same thing.

I just added to it.

It's not how many you can sign, it's how many you can hide after signing more than 25.

Fraggle145
2/14/2007, 07:30 PM
again I say, who cares about tennessee?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/15/2007, 12:52 AM
again I say, who cares about tennessee?I only care that they have been stealing some Sooner kids.

Fraggle145
2/15/2007, 01:48 AM
Again, I would rather have the threads about our recruits at the top of the board instead of , not 1, but 2, threads about Tennessee, who haven won an SEC title since Peyton Manning was there. This thread is about another ****ty orange team, and the abomination that is Boo Blake. ghey.

OU_Sooners75
2/15/2007, 05:41 AM
Again, I would rather have the threads about our recruits at the top of the board instead of , not 1, but 2, threads about Tennessee, who haven won an SEC title since Peyton Manning was there. This thread is about another ****ty orange team, and the abomination that is Boo Blake. ghey.

Wrong, Tee Martin, the year after Manning was gone won a National Championship and a SEC championship.

VolinArizona
2/15/2007, 09:11 AM

Shows your knowledge ...

Fraggle145
2/15/2007, 02:08 PM
Whatever, the point is they havent been relevant during this decade as far as winning the SEC title and I couldnt remember if Peyton left in '98 or '99 so sue me. WHY THE HELL ARE WE STILL TALKING ABOUT TENNESSEE ON THE SOONERS RECRUITING BOARD IN 2 THREADS!!?.

VolinArizona
2/15/2007, 11:05 PM
Whatever, the point is they havent been relevant during this decade as far as winning the SEC title and I couldnt remember if Peyton left in '98 or '99 so sue me. WHY THE HELL ARE WE STILL TALKING ABOUT TENNESSEE ON THE SOONERS RECRUITING BOARD IN 2 THREADS!!?.

Kind of like how Oklahoma didn't win a conference title for 12 seasons, right?

Frozen Sooner
2/16/2007, 01:06 AM
Yep. Of course, when we didn't win a conference title for 12 seasons we fired three different coaches.

Fraggle145
2/16/2007, 03:16 AM
Kind of like how Oklahoma didn't win a conference title for 12 seasons, right?

The great pumpkin, give him a few years and him and Mangino can face off. Let me look through your history I am sure I can find a period where you all sucked balls... oops I dont give a ****. When's the last time you didnt go to a bowl...

The fact remains WHY THE **** ARE WE TALKING ABOUT TENNESSEE WHEN THIS IS A SOONER RECRUITING BOARD AND THEY ARENT RELEVANT IN THEIR OWN CONFERENCE.

VolinArizona
2/16/2007, 09:32 AM
Yep. Of course, when we didn't win a conference title for 12 seasons we fired three different coaches.

Trust me, I wish we would fire Phil Fulmer.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/16/2007, 05:27 PM

this isn't correct. if you have no schollies available from a previous year's class they can't be on scholarship until summer. also, you can never have more than 85 on scholarship so if some seniors continue into the spring and don't drop you could run into a numbers crunch.

Frozen Sooner
2/16/2007, 06:35 PM
How is what I said in conflict with what you just wrote?

1stTimeCaller
2/16/2007, 08:03 PM
ban him Mike!!! don't take any lip off of jkm trying to test your powers!!

DO EET!!!

just kidding.

Frozen Sooner
2/17/2007, 03:58 AM
I think if I tried to ban jkm the tubes would fold back in on themselves.

OU_Sooners75
2/17/2007, 06:03 AM

Well, the point of this thread, moron, was to ask how the hell can Fat Boy Fulmer continually get nothing but 4 and 5 star recruits and a mess load of them at that, without gathering any interest fromt he NCAA. I know he gets a few lowere than 4 or 5 star recruits, but he got 30+ kids this recruiting season. Another point, there is no way in hell he can greyshirt that many kids!

Fraggle145
2/19/2007, 12:42 AM
Well, the point of this thread, moron, was to ask how the hell can Fat Boy Fulmer continually get nothing but 4 and 5 star recruits and a mess load of them at that, without gathering any interest fromt he NCAA. I know he gets a few lowere than 4 or 5 star recruits, but he got 30+ kids this recruiting season. Another point, there is no way in hell he can greyshirt that many kids!

No MORON the point is nobody should give a **** because they dont win anyway and their recruiting hasnt damaged ours! If you want to drag this into a name-calling ghey fest then have at it, but if you think your internet insults mean **** to me then you are wrong. You should be able to make your point without trying to insult me so that you can believe that you are my intelligence is superior to mine. The other thing is if you knew your **** you would know he got out of his **** with the NCAA by throwing Alabama under the bus a long time ago.

Edit: And for those who want to negspek me without signing (not you OU75) at least make sure your spek matters.

Rhino
2/19/2007, 02:19 AM
Watch the namecalling, both of you.

This is your only warning.

Collier11
2/19/2007, 03:14 AM
Dinkin flicka!!!!

OU_Sooners75
2/19/2007, 04:48 AM
No MORON the point is nobody should give a **** because they dont win anyway and their recruiting hasnt damaged ours!

I was out of line with the insult, and apologize....however,

He has came into OUr back yard more than once and pulled out some pretty good recruits.

And as far as they don't win....

Well, All I got to say is this....

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=824

Fat boy Fulmer has an amazing record for not winning. His record is 137-41-0
In case you dont notice, that puts his winning percentage at 0.770.

OU_Sooners75
2/19/2007, 04:50 AM

:hot: :O

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/19/2007, 12:42 PM
How is what I said in conflict with what you just wrote?

because you said they could count towards EITHER year's total. spring entrants always have to go versus the previous year's class. in order to enroll in the spring (and go through spring practice on scholarship) you have to have schollies from the previous year available AND you have to be under 85 total.

we've had situations before where we had no schollies from the previous year and told a spring entrant not to enroll til summer...

Frozen Sooner
2/19/2007, 12:52 PM
Ah. My fault then. I was under the impression that a spring enrollee-like, say, Keith Nichol this year-could count towards the next fall's class.

Fraggle145
2/19/2007, 01:39 PM
I was out of line with the insult, and apologize....however,

He has came into OUr back yard more than once and pulled out some pretty good recruits.

And as far as they don't win....

Well, All I got to say is this....

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=824

Fat boy Fulmer has an amazing record for not winning. His record is 137-41-0
In case you dont notice, that puts his winning percentage at 0.770.

I guess I was falling victim to the "what have you done for me lately?" contingent. I mean they got beat by Vandy two years ago... That should never happen to Tennessee. They also didnt go to a bowl. That should never happen at Tennessee. This year they lost to an average Penn St. team in their bowl. I mean you heard VolinArizona he wants "the great pumpkin" out of there as well.

I am just saying even with the two or three guys they have gotten from Oklahoma it really hasnt mattered. On top of that, how much of those recruiting stars or whatever are fluffed up by the fact that they went to a big school in the SEC, and were recruited by OU as well. I guess for me it is the guys who go someplace else, well that is their business I just want the inside scoop on our guys. With the "big-time" recruits and the "big-time" numbers that they get they should be winning the SEC.

back at ya with the apology, no hard feelings. :O

Collier11
2/19/2007, 01:45 PM
RHINO squelched yet another lovers quarrel...way to go!!! ;)

Fraggle145
2/19/2007, 01:47 PM

I <3 Rhino :eek:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/19/2007, 04:47 PM
Ah. My fault then. I was under the impression that a spring enrollee-like, say, Keith Nichol this year-could count towards the next fall's class.

he could, if it was on his own dime. scholarships are renewed on a per year basis in the summer. at that time, you are allowed to allocate 25 scholarships as long as they don't exceed the 85 man limit. any of the 25 unallocated scholarships can be filled at any time during the year as long as the student spends at least one semester in school. for OU, this means whenever you aren't allowed to enroll for spring. at most pac 10 quarter's system schools, this could be a lot later which is why they get most of the 1 class short jucos into school. you don't fill it, you lose it.

some sticky points about this that i don't understand because i could see them going multiple ways
- incoming freshmen who don't show up - technically this should count as non-allocated scholly not sure in practice though. only one i can think of is josh roberts and we didn't take an abnormal amount of spring entrants the next year.

- incoming freshman who quit before school starts - once again, are they officially allocated or not? we've had several fall into this category and it seems the next year we took their scholly in the spring

an interesting note is that the scholly's are renewed every year. ty willingham has gotten some heat because he didn't renew the scholarships of 3 players for next year.