PDA

View Full Version : Access/Excel users and admin, help a fella out!

Tulsa_Fireman
2/7/2007, 05:10 PM
I got a problem. And from the replies I saw on an earlier MS Access thread, I thought I'd lay it out and see if someone with a lil' bit tighter noggin' than mine could shed some light. Here's the skinny.

Personnel tracking. As in roughly 600 field operations personnel. I need a method, employee and date specific, that can reflect a person's duty status for any given shift. Example being, I'm assigned to Ladder 27. Because of personnel needs, I have to transfer to Engine 25 for that 24 hour duty shift. Or I take a 24 shift of vacation. Or tale a half shift, 12 hours of. 24/12 hours of administrative leave. All kinds of different leave types, but specifically, being able to reference a duty shift, let's say 6 months ago, and see electronically what my assignment for that day was. And the ability for field operations command personnel to enter this information on a per shift basis.

First thing I thought was Access, but after kickin' it around I figured Excel might actually be the solution with each platoon (successive 24 hour shift cycles, Tulsa having 3. A, B, C platoons each 24 hours) having a sheet in a book for the year with columns indicating duty shifts and rows consisting of each field ops member. This would, for ease of use, require some sort of front end for administration to use each shift. It also limits the amount of data that can be maintained for each member, as reports from the data would be limited to a numeric equivalent to that duty type (As in 1 = 24 hours on duty, 2 = Vacation 24 hours, 3 = Admin. leave 24 hours, etc.). But with Access and the additional types of data one can use across tables, I'm not real sure how to go about creating a record for 600 some odd members for each shift throughout the course of a year without creating a date specific table with all 600 members on it, giving us 365 tables by date with 600 fields per table. Seems like that'd get hella-fat in a hurry and would be an absolute bear to set up.

The core of the problem, again, is being able to electronically identify, either by employee, date, or both, what duty type was served and to be able to create reports from this data. And from there, I'm scratchin' my head something awful as this is beginning to look like a project that's way over my level of knowledge. But there HAS to be a solution, even if it's outside my skill set. But what is it?

Any ideas? Thoughts? I'd appreciate it a ton.

mdklatt
2/7/2007, 05:31 PM
You really only need one worksheet or table with three columns: employee identifer, date, and shift code. You might be able to simplify the shift code by breaking it into seperate columns (like one for unit and one for type of duty). This is going to be unwieldly in Excel if not impossible, but easy to do with Access. Using SQL in Access you can combine the data in whatever way you want. You could print out the shifts for one person for a whole year, or all the shift assignments for one day, or all the people assigned to a certain unit for the year, etc. You can also build custom forms with Access to make data entry and reporting easy for the lay user.

soonerboomer93
2/7/2007, 10:05 PM
Access would actually be the best, you might even be able to search the MS site, they sometimes have existing databases uploaded by others. You might need to change it a bit to suit your needs though

mdklatt
2/7/2007, 10:14 PM
Google "database normalization" for the basic concepts of database organization. Some of that stuff gets pretty theoretical, but there should be examples.

1stTimeCaller
2/7/2007, 10:20 PM
Give Post-It Notes or a day planner a try.