PDA

View Full Version : Cuban Cigars

1stTimeCaller
2/7/2007, 02:03 AM
are they really that good or are they that good because they are illegal?

def_lazer_fc
2/7/2007, 02:11 AM
i've had some decent ones. but don't psyche yourself up thinking its gonna be the best cigar you've ever had. they're good. nothing more, nothing less. the illegality(?) of them plays a role in the hype for sure though.

Jimminy Crimson
2/7/2007, 05:33 AM
You can get a Dominican/Honduran/etc cigar that pwns a Cuban very easily. Its the illegality of it that is alluring to most people...

Okla-homey
2/7/2007, 06:31 AM
i've had some decent ones. but don't psyche yourself up thinking its gonna be the best cigar you've ever had. they're good. nothing more, nothing less. the illegality(?) of them plays a role in the hype for sure though.

true

Okla-homey
2/7/2007, 06:32 AM
You can get a Dominican/Honduran/etc cigar that pwns a Cuban very easily. Its the illegality of it that is alluring to most people...

true too

Harry Beanbag
2/7/2007, 06:41 AM
Yep on all posts so far.

SoonerStormchaser
2/7/2007, 09:43 AM
This thread is worthless witnout a pic of SicEm holding a cigar and a Zima.

royalfan5
2/7/2007, 10:02 AM
Dutch Masters are better.

soonernation
2/7/2007, 10:04 AM
Bill and Monica in 3....2....1

JohnnyMack
2/7/2007, 10:12 AM
I had one once. Wasn't orgasmic.

Hamhock
2/7/2007, 10:13 AM
a vast majority of cigars pedaled in the u.s. and tourist traps outside the u.s. as "illegal cubans" are neither illegal nor cuban.

achiro
2/7/2007, 11:25 AM
I had a buddy from mexico that rolled a cigar for me once. It tasted a little funny but made me feel really good...and hungry.:confused:

SicEmBaylor
2/7/2007, 11:40 AM
Like Hamhock said, counterfeit cubans are a major problem. You've got to really watch out. In general, if you want real cubans then don't buy them off the street somewhere or some nonsense such as that, go to an established tobacco shop.

I'd say the best Cuban probably exceeds the best Dominican/Honduras/etc.
That being said though the cigar itself is only as good as the process that goes into making it, the treatment of the tobacco, and the rollers. In most cases I believe the concensus is that the non-cubans are close to establishing parity with the cubans, but I haven't had enough cubans to make a personal determination of that.

SoonerStormchaser
2/7/2007, 11:41 AM
Still waiting for the obligatory pic, SicEm.

BeetDigger
2/7/2007, 11:45 AM
He sells cigars? I thought he just owns the Mavericks.

JohnnyMack
2/7/2007, 11:56 AM
He sells cigars? I thought he just owns the Mavericks.

:les:BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

1stTimeCaller
2/7/2007, 12:08 PM
how much should a pretty big, Cuban Monte Cristo cost? Diameter a little thicker than my thumb and about 8" long?

BeetDigger
2/7/2007, 12:43 PM
How many batteries does it hold?

1stTimeCaller
2/7/2007, 12:46 PM
2 D cells

BeetDigger
2/7/2007, 12:48 PM
$14.95

TexasLidig8r
2/7/2007, 12:59 PM
Some cubans are very, very good, some are.. not so much.

1TC... if you can get a Monte Cristo No. 2 (the torpedo).... you can perhaps pay as much as $40.00 per stick. If you buy a box from a reputable source, they are much less.

[Obligatory Dean, "You're a homo for spending that much for a piece of any wrapped tobacco."]

And yes, some Dominican/Honduran cigars are very good. The Padron Anniversario and Opus X are consistently great smokes. The regular Padron is a decent every day cigar.

Since I'm just the occasional cigar smoker, I tend to like more full bodied smokes... like a Partagas Lusitania, the Monte No. 2 is a very good smoke... the Cohiba Siglo VI, although not as heavy, is smoother.

And.. although cuban tobacco seeds and tobacco are shipped out of Cuba and the Dominicans and Hondurans can make a good product, they can't duplicate the growing conditions in Cuba.. the weather, the soil, the established tobacco plants. It's like, shipping bordeaux grapevines to the United States. They may take, and they may blossom with grapes and the wine you have may be good, but it's still not a bordeaux wine.

BigRedJed
2/7/2007, 02:23 PM
But, from what I understand, since Castro Cuba has not kept up with agricultural technology very well, not to mention tobacco is very hard on soil. So Cubans are lightyears away from the quality they were in the '50s, and Domincans, et al. have really closed the gap.

Again, what do I know? I've smoked maybe a couple dozen Cubanos (that I truly believed were Cubans -- many, many sold stateside are counterfeit) in my life. While a couple of them were exceptional, the rest were neck and neck with your better Dominicans and Hondurans.

The Monte Cristo No. 2 was one of the really, really good ones. A friend of mine several times scored a box, and I've smoked a number of them.

I will agree with Lid (ugh.) on the climate/topography issue. A similar situation is with Oregon Pinot Noir grapes. The climate specific to Oregon provides an unparalleled growing opportunity for that varietal. But the expertise for winemakers was mostly centered in California. So while you had superior grapes grown in Oregon, ten years ago the California wines were equal to or superior to those from, say, the Willamette Valley. A lot of the top Cali winemakers were drawn to the Oregon grapes because of their superiority, so now some of your best Pinots are from Oregon/Washington.

Upon reading that paragraph, it seems like a situation precisely opposite of the Cuban cigar situation, however. Sorry to have bothered you with that example.

Stoop Dawg
2/7/2007, 02:31 PM
That being said though the cigar itself is only as good as the process that goes into making it, the treatment of the tobacco, and the rollers.

That's the word I got while living in Miami as well. Starting with good tobacco is important, but how you treat and roll it is paramount.

Of course, they were trying to sell me cigars, so what else would they say?

Tulsa_Fireman
2/7/2007, 02:36 PM
Of course, they were trying to sell me cigars, so what else would they say?

Soy un immigracion policia!

-OR-

Duuuuuuuude. You put yer WEED in there!

C&CDean
2/7/2007, 04:07 PM
I don't have a big problem with cigar smoking.

I just have a big problem with pretty-boys all gelled up wearing fancy square-tipped shoes smelling of cheap-*** whore perfume wearing a too tight dress shirt with the tail hanging out and the collar popped cutting off the tip with their homosexual tool hanging out smoking expensive ceegars because they think it makes them look hip. You are not hip. You are a ****ing moron who needs your *** kicked. Ditto for chick cigar smokers.

Cuban cigars? Meh.

mdklatt
2/7/2007, 04:29 PM
1TC... if you can get a Monte Cristo No. 2 (the torpedo).... you can perhaps pay as much as $40.00 per stick. If you buy a box from a reputable source, they are much less.

[Obligatory Dean, "You're a homo for spending that much for a piece of any wrapped tobacco."]

No, you're a homo for referring to it as a "torpedo" or a "stick".

SicEmBaylor
2/7/2007, 04:47 PM

Well, the torpedo is the technical name for a figuardo style of cigar.

Also, I had a "Letter to the Editor" published in Cigar Aficionado. I forget the volume and issue #, but it's the one with Michael Jordon on the cover.

TexasLidig8r
2/7/2007, 05:05 PM

No, you're a homo for calling me a homo for referring to the Monte No. 2 by its proper name, the torpedo (see, Sic's post). And, "stick" is dumb term for a cigar.

I await your lavish apology sirrah!!! :D

mdklatt
2/7/2007, 05:17 PM
No, you're a homo for calling me a homo for referring to the Monte No. 2 by its proper name, the torpedo (see, Sic's post). And, "stick" is dumb term for a cigar.

I await your lavish apology sirrah!!! :D

I stand corrected, torpedo puffer.

mdklatt
2/7/2007, 05:18 PM
Also, I had a "Letter to the Editor" published in Cigar Aficionado.

Shouldn't this be in your "cry for help" thread? Nevermind, I see that Dean already locked that one. :texan:

KC//CRIMSON
2/7/2007, 05:28 PM
Don Tomas Maduro Robusto. Tasty.:cool:

TexasLidig8r
2/7/2007, 06:07 PM
I stand corrected, torpedo puffer.

uh... thanks?:confused:

mdklatt
2/7/2007, 06:30 PM
uh... thanks?:confused:

Would you prefer "stick smoker"?

SicEmBaylor
2/7/2007, 07:17 PM
Would you prefer "stick smoker"?

That would be a more correct reference. Every cigar can be referred to colloquially as "stick" but not every cigar is a torpedo.

BeetDigger
2/7/2007, 10:20 PM
I don't have a big problem with cigar smoking.

I just have a big problem with pretty-boys all gelled up wearing fancy square-tipped shoes smelling of cheap-*** whore perfume wearing a too tight dress shirt with the tail hanging out and the collar popped cutting off the tip with their homosexual tool hanging out smoking expensive ceegars because they think it makes them look hip. You are not hip. You are a ****ing moron who needs your *** kicked. Ditto for chick cigar smokers.

A little too trendy for you? Like the white guys who shave their heads, have gotees and tribal arm band tatoos?

mdklatt
2/7/2007, 10:25 PM
A little too trendy for you? Like the white guys who shave their heads, have gotees and tribal arm band tatoos?

Why do you hate Brie?

royalfan5
2/7/2007, 10:32 PM
Fine Cut Skoal>Cuban Cigars

1stTimeCaller
2/8/2007, 05:43 AM
OK, I got a box of 10, Monte Cristo No.2 Torpedos. We'll see when they get here.

TexasLidig8r
2/8/2007, 09:19 AM
OK, I got a box of 10, Monte Cristo No.2 Torpedos. We'll see when they get here.

ITC.. read this.. it will help you determine if they're the real McCoy. or counterfeits..

http://www.cigarnexus.com/counsel/counterfeit/