PDA

View Full Version : Apple and Beatles reach deal

royalfan5
2/5/2007, 01:53 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6332319.stm

Now maybe the Beatles will be on itunes.

Frozen Sooner
2/5/2007, 02:15 PM
The prediction is Marchish.

Apple Corp has been very protective of the Beatles' digital distribution rights, so we'll see.

Boarder
2/5/2007, 02:33 PM
What are there some Beatles songs you don't have? You know you can always go buy the cd and put them on your computer.

royalfan5
2/5/2007, 02:34 PM
What are there some Beatles songs you don't have? You know you can always go buy the cd and put them on your computer.
I don't believe in buying CD's. There existences helps prop up the illuminati snd tri-lateral commision.

Boarder
2/5/2007, 02:36 PM
It's the Beatles. You should have bought them years ago.

royalfan5
2/5/2007, 02:37 PM
Why for the 5 Beatles songs I like? The Beatles are no Waylon Jennings.

tbl
2/5/2007, 02:40 PM
Agreed. You should actually have them on vinyl, cassette, CD, and now MP3 (no 8 tracks).

jacru
2/5/2007, 02:41 PM
Why for the 5 Beatles songs I like? The Beatles are no Waylon Jennings.
:pop: snicker.:rolleyes:

Widescreen
2/5/2007, 02:45 PM
I've got their entire catalog on CD plus some of the lesser known stuff like the Beatles at the Beeb and the Beatles Anthology stuff. I don't care if they ever make it to itunes.

SicEmBaylor
2/5/2007, 03:32 PM
Beatles>All

mdklatt
2/5/2007, 03:33 PM
Beatles>All

I didn't realize you had such a subversive side.

John Kochtoston
2/5/2007, 08:29 PM
The prediction is Marchish.

Apple Corp has been very protective of the Beatles' digital distribution rights, so we'll see.

I think EMI has a say in all of this as well.

Frozen Sooner
2/5/2007, 09:05 PM
I don't think they do. Apple Corp has never relinquished or sold any digital distribution rights to the Beatles' catalog. They were very specific when they crafted their distribution rights. That's why EMI hasn't already licensed the catalog for download.

Widescreen
2/5/2007, 09:17 PM
They need to allow it. I'm sure Paul, Ringo, Yoko and the Harrison estate all need cash. :D

SicEmBaylor
2/5/2007, 09:19 PM
They need to allow it. I'm sure Jacko needs the cash.

Probably...

1stTimeCaller
2/5/2007, 09:28 PM
I thought Michael Jackson owned the rights/mechanicals whatever they are called, to all of the Beatles work.

royalfan5
2/5/2007, 10:08 PM
You can buy some of Ringo's(The only Beatles that matters IMO) solo stuff on itunes.

John Kochtoston
2/5/2007, 10:17 PM
http://http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/06/business/06apple.html?hp&ex=1170738000&en=22c91cfd670754e2&ei=5094&partner=homepage (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/06/business/06apple.html?hp&ex=1170738000&en=22c91cfd670754e2&ei=5094&partner=homepage)

"Elizabeth Freund, a spokeswoman for Apple Corps, said the settlement had no bearing on any move to make Beatles music available on iTunes, saying that was a separate matter for the Beatles to discuss with EMI, which holds the rights to the Beatles’ recordings.

A spokeswoman at EMI, where digital sales of Beatles songs could be a lucrative source of income, declined to comment on whether or when that might happen."

This story seems to suggest EMI will at least be a player in the decision. I amy be misreading it, however.

Frozen Sooner
2/6/2007, 01:38 AM
Fair enough. Looks like you're reading it right to me-I was under the impression that Apple Corps. had sole digital distribution rights.

Ike
2/6/2007, 04:32 PM
So what really matters about this whole deal is not whether or not the Beatles will be available on iTunes....

The really big aspect of this is that it clears the way for Apple to sell iPods pre-loaded with music. Previously, Apple was prevented from doing this by their agreement with Apple Corps, which prevented them from selling CD's or "physical media delivering prerecorded content ... (such as a compact disc of the Rolling Stones' music)."

There are rumors that the first such iPod will be a Beatles "yellow submarine" model, pre-loaded with the entire Beatles library.

Doesn't sound like much right? Unless you consider that they could concievably make a bunch of cheapass iPod shuffles preloaded with some music as a play to replace the CD.

skycat
2/6/2007, 07:25 PM
So what really matters about this whole deal is not whether or not the Beatles will be available on iTunes....

The really big aspect of this is that it clears the way for Apple to sell iPods pre-loaded with music. Previously, Apple was prevented from doing this by their agreement with Apple Corps, which prevented them from selling CD's or "physical media delivering prerecorded content ... (such as a compact disc of the Rolling Stones' music)."

There are rumors that the first such iPod will be a Beatles "yellow submarine" model, pre-loaded with the entire Beatles library.

Doesn't sound like much right? Unless you consider that they could concievably make a bunch of cheapass iPod shuffles preloaded with some music as a play to replace the CD.

I don't buy it. No matter how much they bring the price down on a shuffle, it's always going to be cheaper to press a a plastic disk.

Ike
2/6/2007, 08:30 PM
I don't buy it. No matter how much they bring the price down on a shuffle, it's always going to be cheaper to press a a plastic disk.

yeah, but they could put 10 to 20 albums on a shuffle...

soonerboomer93
2/6/2007, 09:05 PM
but the iPod won't reverse sync to iTunes so basically you just bought a music that you can't back up at all. Unless they do some sort of change to the software to allow it, or only allow it on the special edition ones

Frozen Sooner
2/6/2007, 09:07 PM
I think the only model that makes sense for the iPod sold with bundled music is what they did with the U2 edition: you buy the iPod and it comes with a gift card that allows free download of the catalog.

soonerboomer93
2/6/2007, 09:22 PM
that would make sense

preloading could be somewhat handy in certain situation, but overall, not a great idea

skycat
2/6/2007, 09:22 PM
yeah, but they could put 10 to 20 albums on a shuffle...

But how often do I want to buy music in 10 or 20 album chunks?

The iTunes model is exactly the opposite, buy the one or two songs that you want. I think that's the right approach.