PDA

View Full Version : Justin Johnson AND Jermie Calhoun?

landrun
2/5/2007, 01:04 PM
We already have a commit from Johnson, and now Jermie Calhoun is visiting (I guess on Junior day?) What are the chances of getting BOTH of these guys? :D

Anyone have any info on what he thought?

Seamus
2/5/2007, 02:14 PM
We already have a commit from Johnson, and now Jermie Calhoun is visiting (I guess on Junior day?) What are the chances of getting BOTH of these guys? :D

Anyone have any info on what he thought?

That would be crazy, and then throw in McGuffie. It's a long way off, but this recruiting class has the makings of a monster.

KingDavid
2/6/2007, 01:23 AM
Hard to see this happening (especially if we get McGuffie) unless JJ is for sure going to play LB.

BASSooner
2/6/2007, 01:59 AM
what is the scoop on JJ, is he coming here for LB or RB?

Rhino
2/6/2007, 02:05 AM
what is the scoop on JJ, is he coming here for LB or RB? Too early to tell. He has linebacker body and instincts, but he's done well at RB in the short time he's played there.

We'll probably see if he progresses at RB his senior year before figuring out where he'll fit in here.

snp
2/6/2007, 11:35 AM
what is the scoop on JJ, is he coming here for LB or RB?

RB. This comes after I asked my friend on the coaching staff responded with "Man, where do you Internet guys get this stuff. He'll be a RB"

But I think if that doesn't work out they won't be slow to pull the trigger and make the switch.

The Consumate Showman
2/9/2007, 01:31 AM
I think you have to look at it from a, "...best place for him to see the field" perspective. JJ is a GREAT LB. Bruising and a crushing hitter on the D, but then he looks good at RB at times. I have a friend that saw JJ go up against Creer and he told me that Creer looked better and more like a "natural" RB; but he also said that if JJ keeps on track his senior year, he may develop into a more "AD-proto-typical" RB. Hard to say right now.

Rhino
2/9/2007, 11:03 AM
JJ said this morning on WWLS that he expects to play at RB, but he'll play anywhere the coaches want him to play.

Sounds like a great kid.

cb4ou
2/9/2007, 06:01 PM
From the daily Oklahoman today.

When Justin Johnson, the top-rated running back in Texas, gave his oral commitment to Oklahoma last week, he gave head coach Bob Stoops a letter.

In return, he got a hug.

Johnson, who committed to the Sooners on Feb. 3, retold how his meeting with Stoops during an interview Friday afternoon on WWLS radio.

"(Stoops) called me in. I had my paper in my hand. He told me he wanted me. I gave him my letter, he read it and gave me a hug,” Johnson said. "He said it was different. He liked it.”

Johnson's letter was something. Among the pledges he made in the letter was: "I will do everything within my power to uphold the honor and tradition of Oklahoma football, and to earn respect and admiration for my team and for my university.”

Johnson told the radio station he "fell in love with the place (OU) when I was a freshman.”

A senior-to-be at Gilmer, Texas, Johnson rushed for 793 yards and eight touchdowns last season. Johnson is also a linebacker, racking up six sacks and an interception.

"I'll play any position the coaches put me in,” Johnson told the radio station.

Widescreen
2/9/2007, 06:13 PM
He told me he wanted me...and gave me a hug,” Johnson said. "He said it was different. He liked it.”
:eek:

Harry Beanbag
2/20/2007, 12:00 AM
Things are looking very good for Calhoun all of a sudden.

Frozen Sooner
2/20/2007, 12:07 AM
Heh. You talking about that interview where he says there's no interest between him and Texas?

Harry Beanbag
2/20/2007, 12:11 AM
No, the one that says Texas completely backed off and stopped recruiting him...among other things.

snp
2/20/2007, 12:18 AM
Grades issue for Texas.

At least, that's what they're claiming.

Harry Beanbag
2/20/2007, 12:23 AM
Grades issue for Texas.

He may have grade issues, but they've signed a few guys the last few years who didn't belong on a college campus.

Big Red Ron
2/20/2007, 01:35 AM
He may have grade issues, but they've signed a few guys the last few years who didn't belong on a college campus.Some even got to play QB.:O

toast
2/20/2007, 12:09 PM
Grades issue for Texas.

with this semester, summer, and 2 more semesters I think it would be a little pre-mature to pull a plug on a kid for grades. maybe mack's afraid of losing another head-to-head recruit.

Octavian
2/21/2007, 07:58 PM
all your players are belong to us

jccouger
2/21/2007, 08:56 PM
did he commit or something?

Rhino
2/21/2007, 09:59 PM
did he commit or something? Not yet.

But, things look good.

utex74
2/22/2007, 10:18 PM
with this semester, summer, and 2 more semesters I think it would be a little pre-mature to pull a plug on a kid for grades. maybe mack's afraid of losing another head-to-head recruit.

The most accepted story is that Mack got the RB he wanted at the first junior day in Jerimy Hills. Calhoun sent his transcript down, which is a prerequisite to getting an offer, and that combined with getting Hills resulted in Mack cancelling Calhoun's visit this weekend.

Several on horn fans also think it is a bit pre-mature to write the kid off but Mack makes the call and his record is pretty good. We would prefer, though, that he go someplace else other than OU. There might be something behind the doubts on him. Although Stoops and A&M are both interested, reportedly neither has actually made an offer to him, yet.

NorthernIowaSooner
2/22/2007, 11:45 PM
The most accepted story is that Mack got the RB he wanted at the first junior day in Jerimy Hills. Calhoun sent his transcript down, which is a prerequisite to getting an offer, and that combined with getting Hills resulted in Mack cancelling Calhoun's visit this weekend.

Several on horn fans also think it is a bit pre-mature to write the kid off but Mack makes the call and his record is pretty good. We would prefer, though, that he go someplace else other than OU. There might be something behind the doubts on him. Although Stoops and A&M are both interested, reportedly neither has actually made an offer to him, yet.

according to scout (which i dont really like btw) OU has offered calhoun

Harry Beanbag
2/23/2007, 12:16 AM
Mack is God. Mack is always right. Mack does no wrong. Mack gave me a kidney once. :rolleyes:

utex74
2/23/2007, 01:08 AM
Mack is God. Mack is always right. Mack does no wrong. Mack gave me a kidney once. :rolleyes:

0 out of 4 but your point is..................ok,..... what? Everone has their own method of evaluating 16/17 yr old kids. To me it's is half guesswork at the best.

insuranceman_22
2/24/2007, 01:24 AM
Speaking of grades, Macky Mack needs to get on the recruiting trail of Patterson! He can't make it at KSU, but he could play for the whorens!

PLaw
3/10/2007, 06:41 PM
From the daily Oklahoman today.

When Justin Johnson, the top-rated running back in Texas, gave his oral commitment to Oklahoma last week, he gave head coach Bob Stoops a letter.

"I'll play any position the coaches put me in,” Johnson told the radio station.

What an exemplary leader with great humility and character. I can't wait to see this kid in Crimson and Cream regardless of the side of the ball where he lines up. If his work ethic is as great as his leadership, then AD may be a distant memory. Any chance that he graduates in December and shows up at the '08 spring practice?

AND Calhoun commits! Wow, I wonder how those neysayers about Stoops' declining recruiting ability feel now.

Boomer Sooner
PLaw

JohnnyMack
3/10/2007, 10:33 PM
0 out of 4 but your point is.......

Wrong ******face.

Harry, show him the scar.

insuranceman_22
3/11/2007, 01:02 AM
What an exemplary leader with great humility and character. I can't wait to see this kid in Crimson and Cream regardless of the side of the ball where he lines up. If his work ethic is as great as his leadership, then AD may be a distant memory. Any chance that he graduates in December and shows up at the '08 spring practice?

AND Calhoun commits! Wow, I wonder how those neysayers about Stoops' declining recruiting ability feel now.

Boomer Sooner
PLaw

Dude - don't talk about AD that way, just hope that these guys are somewhere near his character......he won't be forgotten!

colleyvillesooner
3/11/2007, 09:59 AM
If his work ethic is as great as his leadership, then AD may be a distant memory.

That's retarded.

nolesooner1984
3/11/2007, 11:42 AM
I am glad that we got Calhoun as well. Although I can see him doing a roll reversal on us if he finally did get an offer from UT.

This kid has plenty of time to get his grades in order if you ask me. I like how our class is panning out so far.

I would like to add......

JB Shugarts
Sam McGuffie
Landry Jones
Deshawn Hales
Jameel Owens
Stacie McGee
Arthur Brown
Ben Habern
Maybe the WR Fuller, I don't know about this kid
and the other WR from Jersey, I like what I heard about him.

Can anyone think of others we would like to get.

Oh yea, maybe jon Major the LB from colorodo.

bixby28
3/12/2007, 08:05 PM
I am glad that we got Calhoun as well. Although I can see him doing a roll reversal on us if he finally did get an offer from UT.

This kid has plenty of time to get his grades in order if you ask me. I like how our class is panning out so far.

I would like to add......

JB Shugarts
Sam McGuffie
Landry Jones
Deshawn Hales
Jameel Owens
Stacie McGee
Arthur Brown
Ben Habern
Maybe the WR Fuller, I don't know about this kid
and the other WR from Jersey, I like what I heard about him.

Can anyone think of others we would like to get.

Oh yea, maybe jon Major the LB from colorodo.

That's a great list of recruits. I can't think of too many more to sign besides a few solid DBs to replace Walker and Reggie Smith. I believe the toughest position to fill, year in, year out, is defensive tackle, so a few studs on the line are always nice.

nolesooner1984
3/12/2007, 11:34 PM
I don't know if we are going to recruit heavy at the D-tackle spot this year. Besides Stacie McGee and another.

We have some good young talent at DT right now and I think this next year is going to be good. I think Granger will step up big time and be great. Bennet is good and McCoy is going to be a great one. I have heard great things about the rest as well. But I know we heard the same from last year too.

BASSooner
3/13/2007, 01:47 AM
I don't know if we are going to recruit heavy at the D-tackle spot this year. Besides Stacie McGee and another.

We have some good young talent at DT right now and I think this next year is going to be good. I think Granger will step up big time and be great. Bennet is good and McCoy is going to be a great one. I have heard great things about the rest as well. But I know we heard the same from last year too.
I wouldn't worry about this position. I mean yes, these guys have the potential obviously, but the difference between the next season compared to last season is that these guys will show it.