PDA

View Full Version : Scout or Rivals?

landrun
2/5/2007, 09:11 AM
Which service is better? Any opinions?
I'm thinking about purchasing a subscription this year but don't know which one I should get.

My perception is that Scout gives out better info but I prefer the way Rivals ranks the players. At any rate, anyone willing to offer their opinions? :pop:

usmc-sooner
2/5/2007, 09:34 AM
Scout is Insiders right? If so you get a lot of info from the likes of James Hale, Robert Allen, Greg Swaim. Basically over the top homers.

OSUAggie
2/5/2007, 09:51 AM
Rivals is much better than Scout... Unless you feel like hearing rumors reported as truth, then Scout is your place.

chbrew09
2/5/2007, 10:01 AM
usmc is right in some ways...scout guys are huge homers and don't always report the truth. Rivals guys, josh m, casey murdock and henzo are always good at doing their research and telling you the truth, whether bad or good. Jeremy Crabtree, who is one of the general rivals moderators/writers, comments on the oklahoma board a lot as well. If you like to read more about Oklahoma sports in general, and less on recruiting, I'd go with scout. If you want the best recruiting knowledge, insiders, go with rivals...just my opinion and I've used both at different times. My suggestion would be to get a month subscription to each and check it out for yourself.

Rook65
2/5/2007, 10:46 AM
Why bother? Whatever they put up is usually posted here in some form within a few minutes.

Seamus
2/5/2007, 02:19 PM
Why bother? Whatever they put up is usually posted here in some form within a few minutes.

You beat me to the punch. Save a few dollars and learn to live with getting the info a few minutes later.

These "info brokers" are a scam.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/5/2007, 03:07 PM
My dad has subscibed to Scout and the Superprep in the past so I've seen both. My two cents is that pretty much all the recruiting services will have their bias. They also often have regional rankings that don't match orderwise with national rankings. You also have to take all of it with a grain of salt, Tom Lemmings for example WILL rate a player higher if it is a Notre Dame recruit, period. Al Eschbeck works for one of the pulications too (I think Scout but I'm not sure).

None of them I think are great for recruiting classes pre-signing day but I think Superprep lists more prospects so you might have a better idea what players to follow in-state. Otherwise a board like this, or one of the premium boards will give you more timely info.

There's nothing wrong with the mags but the info is usually dated.

snp
2/5/2007, 07:00 PM
Rivals > Scout

usmc-sooner
2/5/2007, 07:13 PM
usmc is right in some ways....

in all ways

H8HOGS
2/8/2007, 12:39 PM
Rivals had the info yesterday way before Grassy. I think they will know who signed when they see the kids at fall practice.

Frozen Sooner
2/8/2007, 01:06 PM
I've generally found that Scout's information has been more accurate than Rivals, but that Rivals will break a story faster. Rivals has better player evaluations than Scout.

lcaldwell1
2/8/2007, 03:05 PM
i really like rivals, but havent really done much with scout

SoonerinSouthlake
2/8/2007, 09:41 PM
I may be repeating a really stupid rumor, but a dude in my office today told me that Rivals is owned and operated by Whorn Grads......which he believes tends to slant their class rankings and observations. Can anyone confirm this?

landrun
2/9/2007, 10:32 AM
The last week of recruiting the OU rivals site was very ... very slow.

They never listed Lewis as a commit even. And took then forever to list him after he signed. Same for Alexander.

They were very quick on Broyles though. Weird.

Soonerfan88
2/10/2007, 11:11 PM
Rivals has better national recruiting evaluations/rankings. Scout, as an organization, isn't worth the money.

Strictly from an OU viewpoint, OU Insider may not always break the story but is very reliable when they do. They want absolute confirmation before they report something and get most of their information straight from the coaches and other staff. For that reason, I like them better than Sooner Scoop. The biggest issue over there is too many take any word said as gospel and skip over the part where Hale states it's only his opinion. Note the way the information is presented and you save yourself a lot of frustration.