PDA

View Full Version : My problem with The Family Guy

Rhino
2/5/2007, 01:36 AM
This show has its moments, but it's massively, MASSIVELY overrated.

I like Stewie for the most part. Chris too.

The thing that drives me crazy is the fact they have to set-up every flashback.

This reminds me of the time I did blow with John Stamos.
This is worse that the time Richard Lewis and I went to a museum.

Not only is it just lazy, choppy and incomplete writing, but it makes for some really ****ty television.

Don't get me wrong - I like when they throw in random things from other movies (mostly the background stuff) - as long as it flows well and the episode doesn't have to take a pause just so the writers can throw in their half-assed joke that they can't find a better place for.

I've never understood why people like it so much.

GottaHavePride
2/5/2007, 01:45 AM
the show was hilarious at first. After a while they started relying on the "this is more ______ than when ________" joke followed by a flashback WAY too much and some of those shows stunk.

The newest episodes seem to have found their stride again.

yermom
2/5/2007, 05:52 AM
you know it's bad when there is a South Park about this very thing :D

RacerX
2/5/2007, 07:15 AM
Why do you hate manatees?

Mjcpr
2/5/2007, 08:52 AM
One of the best episodes ever was on Adult Swim last night.

Boffingham
2/5/2007, 08:52 AM
the show was hilarious at first. After a while they started relying on the "this is more ______ than when ________" joke followed by a flashback WAY too much and some of those shows stunk.

The newest episodes seem to have found their stride again.

The flashbacks are what make the show so damn funny.

Super-long dance scenes, repetition, and the flashbacks...name one other show that does that...originality is refreshing these days.

royalfan5
2/5/2007, 09:03 AM
The flashbacks are what make the show so damn funny.

Super-long dance scenes, repetition, and the flashbacks...name one other show that does that...originality is refreshing these days.
originality doesn't automatically equal good. Constantly ******** around just for the hell of it doesn't do much for me.

usmc-sooner
2/5/2007, 09:13 AM
dude it's just a cartoon.

remember when this remark sparked a fight between jk and 04

LilSooner
2/5/2007, 09:23 AM
This show has its moments, but it's massively, MASSIVELY overrated.

I like Stewie for the most part. Chris too.

The thing that drives me crazy is the fact they have to set-up every flashback.

This reminds me of the time I did blow with John Stamos.
This is worse that the time Richard Lewis and I went to a museum.

Not only is it just lazy, choppy and incomplete writing, but it makes for some really ****ty television.

Don't get me wrong - I like when they throw in random things from other movies (mostly the background stuff) - as long as it flows well and the episode doesn't have to take a pause just so the writers can throw in their half-assed joke that they can't find a better place for.

I've never understood why people like it so much.

YOUR MASSIVELY OVER RATED!!! :mad:

yermom
2/5/2007, 09:29 AM
i guess she would know... ouch

:D

Melo
2/5/2007, 09:39 AM

Amen.
South park has always been better than Family Guy, though.
:D

Norm In Norman
2/5/2007, 10:00 AM
South Park WAS better than family guy. You know, way back when it was actually good - about 7 or 8 seasons ago.

I like Family Guy. I try to ignore the choppiness. Brian taking Peter on a walk with a forklift is funny. The whole Willie Wonka part in that one episode is funny. The "Take On Me" intro is funny.

I do find that I only watch the reruns though.

Mjcpr
2/5/2007, 10:16 AM
FG even makes fun of FG flashbacks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIMiFZ0H5cw)

(How do you embed a video in a post?)

Mjcpr
2/5/2007, 10:24 AM
One of the best episodes ever was on Adult Swim last night.

You are so right!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH_Y4vdt1XY)

JohnnyMack
2/5/2007, 10:24 AM
SP still completely and totally pwns FG.

Osce0la
2/5/2007, 11:39 AM
I thought one of the best things they did was when Stewie said something, then sat there for a minute and said "we don't have a clip for that one?" or something to that effect. I love Family Guy.

Mjcpr
2/5/2007, 11:42 AM
I thought one of the best things they did was when Stewie said something, then sat there for a minute and said "we don't have a clip for that one?" or something to that effect. I love Family Guy.

FG even makes fun of FG flashbacks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIMiFZ0H5cw)

(How do you embed a video in a post?)

Great point.

SoonersEnFuego
2/5/2007, 12:08 PM
This should be a pole.

Family Guy for me, although I like them both.

I thought it was hilarious on one of the older ones when Peter was talking about Shannon Dougherty's wandering eye socket. That's when I really fell in love with it. I thought I was the only one that noticed that. Every time I brought it up, everybody thought I was crazy, until it was on Family Guy. Justified the point. If Family Guy says it, it must be true.

Norm In Norman
2/5/2007, 02:01 PM
Here is part of that willie wonka episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK7uk0DYumo

and how could you not like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuAJv-ATAV4

Mjcpr
2/5/2007, 02:13 PM
Van Gogh, Hemmingway, Cobain, Griffin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhnrxBt--6M)

Osce0la
2/5/2007, 02:16 PM
Great point.
I guess it helps to click on links in the threads before posting a reply :D

OUAndy1807
3/5/2007, 06:47 PM
Family Guy is officially dead to me. It has gotten unspeakably horrible.

Norm In Norman
3/5/2007, 06:52 PM
Well - last night's was pretty unentertaining.

starclassic tama
3/5/2007, 07:26 PM
ive always said this show sucks. its just simply not funny. south parks owns it.

rufnek05
3/5/2007, 08:38 PM

i was thinking the same thing. but South Park nailed it. everything in those two episodes was 100% correct.

IronSooner
3/5/2007, 11:16 PM
Pretty much. I now find myself cringing a little bit every time somebody says "than/like the time when...". They have some pretty funny material here and there, but holy crap, slow it down with the flashbacks.

I'm gonna have to go with SP over FG on this one.

Spray
3/5/2007, 11:35 PM
Do you have to like one or the other or can you like both? I mean is this like one of those Star Wars vs. Star Trek type dealios?

By the way, Hayden Christensen really was a good choice.

silverwheels
3/6/2007, 12:00 AM
Family Guy was great before it got canceled. Since it has returned, it has been the suck. The cutaways and flashbacks, while in place and at least mildly amusing before the cancellation, are now really overused, totally irrelevant to the plot, and, way more often than not, pretty unfunny. Parker and Stone hit the nail on the head with their "Cartoon Wars" episodes. I still try to watch the newer FGs every once in a while, but they always let me down.

GottaHavePride
3/6/2007, 12:11 AM
American Dad is as funny now as Family Guy was when it first started.

def_lazer_fc
3/6/2007, 03:56 AM
i hate family guy. always have, always will. i've tried to watch, but it's brutal. and american dad is the same ****. replace baby with alien and repeat. it's getting dull. im just ****ed about the brilliant comedy shows getting cancelled like arrested development, dog bites man, stella, the state, and UCB. and i'll bet sarah silverman's show gets cancelled as well. but that's alright. just replace it with more mad tv reruns. ****!

SoonersEnFuego
3/6/2007, 09:22 AM
Don't forget Freaks and Geeks.

SoonerStormchaser
3/6/2007, 09:45 AM
Blasphemy to the original poster!

SoonerAtKU
3/6/2007, 10:05 AM
Do you have to like one or the other or can you like both?

This is like Elvis vs. The Beatles in Pulp Fiction. You can like them both, but you have to like one more, and that sort of defines you.

TopDawg
3/6/2007, 12:07 PM
im just ****ed about the brilliant comedy shows getting cancelled like arrested development, dog bites man, stella, the state, and UCB. and i'll bet sarah silverman's show gets cancelled as well. but that's alright. just replace it with more mad tv reruns. ****!

Get out of my head!

I don't know what UCB is and I haven't gotten into the Sarah Silverman show, but you're dead-on with the others.

And I'm with Rhino on the Family Guy stuff. And Norm is wrong, South Park is still funny. In fact, it's more clever now than it was when it first came on the air. When they first hit the scene, they were just trying to be as shocking as they could be. It's funnier now that they've settled in.

tbl
3/6/2007, 12:34 PM
Here is part of that willie wonka episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK7uk0DYumo

Blatant ripoff of the Futurama episode where they go to the Slurm factory. Of course its all playing off Willy Wonka, but its still a ripoff idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOQ4swpOd0U

yermom
3/6/2007, 12:35 PM
Get out of my head!

I don't know what UCB is and I haven't gotten into the Sarah Silverman show, but you're dead-on with the others.

And I'm with Rhino on the Family Guy stuff. And Norm is wrong, South Park is still funny. In fact, it's more clever now than it was when it first came on the air. When they first hit the scene, they were just trying to be as shocking as they could be. It's funnier now that they've settled in.

Upright Citizens Brigade?

Ardmore_Sooner
3/6/2007, 12:39 PM
Blatant ripoff of the Futurama episode where they go to the Slurm factory. Of course its all playing off Willy Wonka, but its still a ripoff idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOQ4swpOd0U

Are they making new episodes of Futurama?

yermom
3/6/2007, 12:43 PM
that's the rumor i heard

DustySooner
3/6/2007, 01:07 PM
I'm with most of you, it seems the show trys too damned hard anymore.

Thank god for the Stewie and Brian combo. If it wasn't for them the show would be mediocre at best, in my opinion.

def_lazer_fc
3/6/2007, 02:02 PM
Don't forget Freaks and Geeks.
word. wasn't that only on for one season? if you blinked, you missed it.

SoonerAtKU
3/6/2007, 06:02 PM
word. wasn't that only on for one season? if you blinked, you missed it.

Same goes for Undeclared, which was basically Freaks go to college. Awesome show, also by Apatow.

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2007, 06:11 PM
Mmm. Linda Cardellini.

SoonerAtKU
3/6/2007, 06:14 PM
Mmm. Linda Cardellini.

Jinkies, Froze.