PDA

View Full Version : how do you prepare your steaks?

OUAndy1807
2/4/2007, 11:02 PM
the thread about coffee grounds got me thinking:
what do you rub on your steaks?

I usually coat them in extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle on some Lawrys, garlic salt and MSG. Then I go light the grill and let the steaks sit at room temperature until the grill is hot.

I like the taste of the seasonings, but I think it's the EVOO that makes the biggest difference by keeping the steaks moist.

Also, since I've started using my smoker, I've been using a probe thermometer on my steaks. It might be cheating, but it's awesome to know that if you take your steak off at 120* it's going to be perfect.

royalfan5
2/4/2007, 11:04 PM
I generally don't rub anything on my steaks. I like the meat taste to be unecumbered when I devour them extra rare.

OklahomaTuba
2/4/2007, 11:08 PM
marinate for half an hour in anti-freeze and liquid smoke.

Just trust me on this.

OUAndy1807
2/4/2007, 11:08 PM
also, anyone who cooks their steaks past the rare side of medium rare is ruining them.

soonerboomer93
2/4/2007, 11:14 PM
anyone who has to use a thermometer is lazy

oh, and it's a steak, (unless it's a fillet which is slightly different), buy a good cut of meat, there's no reason to ruin it with crap seasoning

:D

Mongo
2/4/2007, 11:18 PM
I consider myself a natural, or traditionalist. I only buy the finer cuts of beef. Ribeye, t-bone, or porterhouse are the only meat I grill. When spending that much $$/pound, you know you are buying a quality cut with the best flavor.

I usually rest the meat for a couple of hours before cooking. I will mist the meat with EVOO and fresh cracked pepper. I never use salt before cooking, as it will draw moisture out of the meat.

I light my grill to the hottest it will get(over 700 degrees). I then slap the meat on the grill. I like my steak at medium rare. With the fire that hot, I will leave the meat, depending on the thickness, on one side for 1:45. Half way through i will turn the steak at a 90 degree turn to produce the nice grill marks. Repeat on the other side.

No matter how much smoke and flames appear, I never break from this process. Those flames "seal" in the natural juices, and place a nice crust on the steak.

Let the meat rest for 10 minutes after the cooking. Cutting in too early will ruin the crust you have made and cause all the juices to run out.

Then add more pepper and then the salt to which you desire.

I love the flavor of beef. I will not destroy it buy marinating to add flavor.

SoonerGirl06
2/4/2007, 11:21 PM
I consider myself a natural, or traditionalist. I only buy the finer cuts of beef. Ribeye, t-bone, or porterhouse are the only meat I grill. When spending that much $$/pound, you know you are buying a quality cut with the best flavor.

I usually rest the meat for a couple of hours before cooking. I will mist the meat with EVOO and fresh cracked pepper. I never use salt before cooking, as it will draw moisture out of the meat.

I light my grill to the hottest it will get(over 700 degrees). I then slap the meat on the grill. I like my steak at medium rare. With the fire that hot, I will leave the meat, depending on the thickness, on one side for 1:45. Half way through i will turn the steak at a 90 degree turn to produce the nice grill marks. Repeat on the other side.

No matter how much smoke and flames appear, I never break from this process. Those flames "seal" in the natural juices, and place a nice crust on the steak.

Let the meat rest for 10 minutes after the cooking. Cutting in too early will ruin the crust you have made and cause all the juices to run out.

Then add more pepper and then the salt to which you desire.

I love the flavor of beef. I will not destroy it buy marinating to add flavor.

I'm salivating just thinking about it! Yum! Yum!

Mongo
2/4/2007, 11:22 PM
nm

SoonerGirl06
2/4/2007, 11:31 PM
Well, lets have a cookout. My meat on your grill.

I never pass up the opportunity to have a nice thick piece of meat on my grill.

I like it Well-Done....

XingTheRubicon
2/4/2007, 11:44 PM
If you put any liquid substance on your steak before grilling, you're doing it wrong.

Mongo was dead on about searing each side for a minute or so, then move them away from the heat....and never close the lid.

Rhino
2/4/2007, 11:48 PM
http://www.espicebazar.com/images/Montreal_steak_seasoning_spicy.jpg

Vaevictis
2/4/2007, 11:48 PM
Depends on the cut. If it's a good cut, nothing, and add salt to taste.

If it's a crappy cut, maybe some HP steak sauce, maybe just salt.

Sometimes I like to take a cheap flank steak, rub it with crushed garlic and onions, toss it in a shallow dish with a bunch of lemon juice, let it marinate (30 minutes to 24 hours) and then pan fry it in olive oil. This goes damned well with red or black beans over rice, and a fried plantain.

Mongo
2/4/2007, 11:50 PM

That stuff is great if you buy sirloin cut or less. It has great flavor.

SoonerBorn68
2/4/2007, 11:59 PM

Add a small amount of worchester sauce & we have a winner!

SoonerTerry
2/5/2007, 12:01 AM
I never pass up the opportunity to have a nice thick piece of meat on my grill.

I like it Well-Done....

POst of the year..

TopDawg
2/5/2007, 12:05 AM
I just like it with this:

http://www.marmaladecat.com/images/Heinz%20Ketchup%20570g%202.jpg

Mongo
2/5/2007, 12:18 AM
I just like it with this:

http://www.marmaladecat.com/images/Heinz%20Ketchup%20570g%202.jpg

Blasphemy!!!!

GottaHavePride
2/5/2007, 12:46 AM
I use salt and pepper. That's about it. But I like my steaks cooked up to medium.

For pork or chicken I use this stuff:

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyscrouton.html

Technically it's their "crouton seasoning" - salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, and marjoram. Best damn porkchop you'll ever taste.

OSUAggie
2/5/2007, 12:49 AM
http://www.marmaladecat.com/images/Heinz%20Ketchup%20570g%202.jpg people also use http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q128/lukin254/foreman.jpg quite extensively.

Rhino
2/5/2007, 12:51 AM
Michael: Guys - meat it’s what’s for dinner. Who wants some man meat?
Dwight: I want some man meat!
Jim: Dwight wants your man meat.
Michael: Well then my man meat he shall have.

TopDawg
2/5/2007, 12:53 AM
Michael: Guys - meat it’s what’s for dinner. Who wants some man meat?
Dwight: I want some man meat!
Jim: Dwight wants your man meat.
Michael: Well then my man meat he shall have.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

TopDawg
2/5/2007, 12:57 AM
Blasphemy!!!!

My wife actually asked for ketchup one time when she had a steak. I explained to her that you just don't do that. If she wants ketchup (she LOVES ketchup) then she can't order a steak. If she wants steak, then she can't ask for ketchup.

As far as I know, she's followed that rule.

She usually handles the marinade (her dad has a good one) when we have steaks here. We don't typically get the expensive cuts, but I'm trying to branch out and try some new stuff. I'll come back to this thread for some tips next time we decide on steak.

GottaHavePride
2/5/2007, 01:00 AM
When I was in Miami I ate at a Cuban restaurant that did a marinated flank steak that they grilled and then sliced damn near thin enough to see through. Freaking amazing.

OSUAggie
2/5/2007, 01:04 AM
I've cut slices so thin, I couldn't even see them.

Mongo
2/5/2007, 01:05 AM
She usually handles the marinade (her dad has a good one) when we have steaks here. We don't typically get the expensive cuts, but I'm trying to branch out and try some new stuff. I'll come back to this thread for some tips next time we decide on steak.

The only marinade I have heard of that is worth it- Red Wine. I had a steak, from a restaraunt, that was marinated over night in red wine. The acidity will break down the proteins and connective tissue, turning any cut of steak fork tender.

Look for the best marbleing, or fat content, of the cut. The more fat= the more flavorable cut.

Mongo
2/5/2007, 01:08 AM
When I was in Miami I ate at a Cuban restaurant that did a marinated flank steak that they grilled and then sliced damn near thin enough to see through. Freaking amazing.

I agree that a good flank that is marinated is awesome, but there is a reason it has to be marinated; it is a tough cut that also lacks the fat content and tenderness of a "quality" cut.

GottaHavePride
2/5/2007, 01:15 AM
I've cut slices so thin, I couldn't even see them.

You must be a ninja.

Yeah, and best I recall that flank steak was marinated in lime juice (there's the acidity) and a whole lot of spices.

olevetonahill
2/5/2007, 01:22 AM
Cant Beat MY MEAT :D
Yall be slow .

proud gonzo
2/5/2007, 01:41 AM
why do y'all insist on starting food threads late at night when i have to go to bed? Now i'm hungry :mad:

Frozen Sooner
2/5/2007, 01:47 AM
You must be a ninja.

Yeah, and best I recall that flank steak was marinated in lime juice (there's the acidity) and a whole lot of spices.

I have no idea what that stuff is called, but I had it at a Cuban place in Miami and it was awesome.

Now, for a steak, I have several different ways to prepare depending on what I'm in the mood for.

My normal prep is to allow the steak to sit at room temperature for one hour per inch of thickness. After the steak warms up, I pat it dry with paper towels before anything else.

I sprinkle a little ginger and garlic on it with some fresh ground black pepper.

Grill on high for about 45 seconds per side, then place in the oven at 375 for about 25-30 minutes.

Comes out right every time.

Another method I use involves brushing a sauce made from jalapeno jelly and, yes, catsup on the steak as it cooks.

Oh, yeah, and if you don't own a Jaccard, I highly recommend them:

http://shop.urnerbarry.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/jaccardwht.jpg

Ike
2/5/2007, 04:25 AM
I usually coat them in extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle on some Lawrys, garlic salt and MSG. Then I go light the grill and let the steaks sit at room temperature until the grill is hot.

I use salt and olive oil too, but I find that extra virgin, and virgin olive oil just don't cut it. I want some olive oil that knows what it's doing and doesn't waste time on second thoughts and what not.

picasso
2/5/2007, 12:59 PM
head country seasoning (big tub from Sam's, it's the bomb)
pepper
maybe some cavenders
also have some spicy rib crib seasoning.

Boarder
2/5/2007, 01:06 PM
Ususally to Cuban marinated flank steak is a chimichurri marinade. Vinegar, cilantro, some other stuff (I can't remember). I think it's called churrasco with chimmichurri sauce. There's a good recipe for it in Cookling Light.

I use kosher salt and black pepper on steaks. That's it.

SicEmBaylor
2/5/2007, 01:25 PM
Lowry's seasoning.
VERY well done...to the point of being burned.

Although, if I'm in a hypothetical situation such as the one Lid was kind enough to lay out the last time I mentioned that then I would go with medium well.

royalfan5
2/5/2007, 01:29 PM
Lowry's seasoning.

Although, if I'm in a hypothetical situation such as the one Lid was kind enough to lay out the last time I mentioned that then I would go with medium well.
You will be receiving your cease and desist letter from the National Cattlemen and the Beef Checkoff shortly.

Howzit
2/5/2007, 01:31 PM
Knock it's horns off, wipe it's *** and slap it on a plate.

StoopTroup
2/5/2007, 01:34 PM
My Wife used olive oil in her marinade the other night...

She caught the grill on fire and burned the steaks...

I recommend not stepping inside to answer the phone while grilling with olive oil.

Petro-Sooner
2/5/2007, 01:35 PM
I'm going to have to agree a little with sic'em here. I like my steaks on the medium well side. I worked one summer at a grocery store doing clean up in the meat dept. After seeing what I did I want that **** cooked.

JohnnyMack
2/5/2007, 01:44 PM
Lowry's seasoning.

We're all aware that you want Lid's meat.

royalfan5
2/5/2007, 01:45 PM
I'm going to have to agree a little with sic'em here. I like my steaks on the medium well side. I worked one summer at a grocery store doing clean up in the meat dept. After seeing what I did I want that **** cooked.
A little bacteria is good for you.

tommieharris91
2/5/2007, 02:09 PM
When someone asks for ketchup on a steak, give em A1.

I like my steaks between medium rare and medium well. Steak juices are just so, so good (but it must look like its cooked.) I try many different marinades, and right now I'm just trying some cheap sirloins on my george foreman. I live in an apartment and don't have an actual outdoor grill right now. I really, really, miss the smoky flavor. When I'm back at home I put some hickory chips in with the charcoal, so it gives anything I put on the grill some smoky flavor.

Norm In Norman
2/5/2007, 02:20 PM
I brush both sides with olive oil then put Kosher salt and cracked black pepper on both sides. If I feel like messing with it, I raise the charcoal until it's about 1" from the steak, cook it for maybe a minute, then drop it down to about 4 inches and let it cook for another couple of minutes. Then I raise the charcoal to the top again, flip the steak over and do it all over again. If I'm lazy I just cook it with the charcoal about 2 or 3 inches from the steak and leave it that way. After I pull the steak I let it rest about 6 minutes before cutting into it. That gives me time to clean my grill up and wash my hands.

Justin Wilson used to say that you NEVER flip a piece of meat more than once. I've never seen any reason to prove otherwise and it has always worked for me.

Alton Brown says that searing really doesn't capture any more juices in a piece of meat and he did a test to prove it. I think it tastes better seared though. I prefer my steak to have a crust on the outside and be about medium rare on the inside. At restaurants I usually order medium or medium rare just to be safe.

Norm In Norman
2/5/2007, 02:22 PM
When someone asks for ketchup on a steak, give em A1.

I like my steaks between medium rare and medium well. Steak juices are just so, so good (but it must look like its cooked.) I try many different marinades, and right now I'm just trying some cheap sirloins on my george foreman. I live in an apartment and don't have an actual outdoor grill right now. I really, really, miss the smoky flavor. When I'm back at home I put some hickory chips in with the charcoal, so it gives anything I put on the grill some smoky flavor.
Good point. I like to have some hickory or (even better) mesquite chips in the fire right below the steaks. Mesquite imparts it's flavor on meat a little better than hickory.

Norm In Norman
2/5/2007, 02:26 PM
My wife actually asked for ketchup one time when she had a steak. I explained to her that you just don't do that. If she wants ketchup (she LOVES ketchup) then she can't order a steak. If she wants steak, then she can't ask for ketchup.
My wife eats ketchup on her steak. Always. Honestly, I get embarrassed when she does this in a nice steak house. She even orders french fries with it. I like a good baked potato with my steak. Maybe some broccoli or asparagus too. When I go somewhere and they ask if I need some steak sauce, I usually say "I hope not."

TexasLidig8r
2/5/2007, 02:27 PM
We're all aware that you want Lid's meat.

Bastadge Doogie Howser!!!!

1 (4 pound or so) beef tenderloin

½ cup low sodium soy sauce divided

2 teaspoons freshly ground pink peppercorn
2 teaspoons freshly ground green peppercorn
2 teaspoons freshly ground black peppercorn

(OR, just buy a container of Triple Peppercorns on the spice aisle of your local grocery store and grind them up in your coffee bean grinder – a lot easier that way)

2 teaspoons ground ginger
1-½ teaspoons ground cardamom
8 cloves garlic, minced

COMBINE 2 tablespoons of the soy sauce with the triple peppercorn, ginger, cardamom and garlic. Stir well. It should result in a paste. If too dry, add a bit more soy sauce.

Rub tenderloin with this mixture. Then, combine the tenderloin and remaining ¼ cup plus at least 2 tablespoons soy sauce in a large zip-top heavy-duty plastic bag. Seal bag. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 8 hours, turning the back occasionally. The longer the time, the more marinade soaks through.

Either grill it out until preferably medium rare… OR… place tenderloin on a broiler rack coated with cooking spray; place rack on a broiler pan; Bake at 425 degrees for 45 minutes approximately (if using a meat thermometer, 140 degree is rare, 160 degree is medium. Baste frequently with reserved, remaining marinade.

Nirvana.. I tell you.

Boarder
2/5/2007, 02:35 PM
Lowry's seasoning.

Before you type a response do you actually think to yourself, "hmm, how can I make my self look the least manly?"

You can't be a for real person.

sooneron
2/5/2007, 04:19 PM
My wife eats ketchup on her steak. Always. Honestly, I get embarrassed when she does this in a nice steak house. She even orders french fries with it.
Ever hear of Steak Frites?

C&CDean
2/5/2007, 04:22 PM
Bastadge Doogie Howser!!!!

1 (4 pound or so) beef tenderloin

½ cup low sodium soy sauce divided

2 teaspoons freshly ground pink peppercorn
2 teaspoons freshly ground green peppercorn
2 teaspoons freshly ground black peppercorn

(OR, just buy a container of Triple Peppercorns on the spice aisle of your local grocery store and grind them up in your coffee bean grinder – a lot easier that way)

2 teaspoons ground ginger
1-½ teaspoons ground cardamom
8 cloves garlic, minced

COMBINE 2 tablespoons of the soy sauce with the triple peppercorn, ginger, cardamom and garlic. Stir well. It should result in a paste. If too dry, add a bit more soy sauce.

Rub tenderloin with this mixture. Then, combine the tenderloin and remaining ¼ cup plus at least 2 tablespoons soy sauce in a large zip-top heavy-duty plastic bag. Seal bag. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 8 hours, turning the back occasionally. The longer the time, the more marinade soaks through.

Either grill it out until preferably medium rare… OR… place tenderloin on a broiler rack coated with cooking spray; place rack on a broiler pan; Bake at 425 degrees for 45 minutes approximately (if using a meat thermometer, 140 degree is rare, 160 degree is medium. Baste frequently with reserved, remaining marinade.

Nirvana.. I tell you.

In all seriousness, WTF is wrong with you? Pink peppercorns? GTFO.

Anybody who has a ****ty enough hunk of meat to need to do all this oughta just boil it and feed it to the dog. That's what I do with deer hearts and liver.

Pepper. Salt. Maybe a little olive oil and/or melted butter while grilling. If your cut of meat is worth eating that's all you need.

And if you order/cook a steak beyond medium rare you may as well have hamburger. For the life of me I can't understand how people can ruin good meat like they do. Well except for Sic'em. That boy ain't got a clue about anything.

IB4OU2
2/5/2007, 04:25 PM
Hey Dean, don't throw away the venison heart cause that's some good eaten....

JohnnyMack
2/5/2007, 04:26 PM

Save the neck for me Clark!

JohnnyMack
2/5/2007, 04:28 PM
In all seriousness, WTF is wrong with you? Pink peppercorns? GTFO.

Anybody who has a ****ty enough hunk of meat to need to do all this oughta just boil it and feed it to the dog. That's what I do with deer hearts and liver.

Pepper. Salt. Maybe a little olive oil and/or melted butter while grilling. If your cut of meat is worth eating that's all you need.

And if you order/cook a steak beyond medium rare you may as well have hamburger. For the life of me I can't understand how people can ruin good meat like they do. Well except for Sic'em. That boy ain't got a clue about anything.

There is hope for me!

My fancy steak recipe is salt, pepper and a stick of melted butter. On a grill.

C&CDean
2/5/2007, 04:28 PM

Dude, I don't eat guts. I boil em' and feed em' to the dogs.

C&CDean
2/5/2007, 04:29 PM
There is hope for me!

My fancy steak recipe is salt, pepper and a stick of melted butter. On a grill.

How you doin'?

Mjcpr
2/5/2007, 04:46 PM
Buttered steak?

Freaks.

C&CDean
2/5/2007, 04:59 PM
Buttered steak?

Freaks.

Guess you've never had your husband take you out to a Ruth's Chris or McCormick & Schmicks or Del Frisco's huh?

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/5/2007, 05:01 PM
Guess you've never had your husband take you out to a Ruth's Chris or McCormick & Schmicks or Del Frisco's huh?

I doubt it.

All those places have a 'no mustache on wimmins' rule...

:mack:

Mjcpr
2/5/2007, 05:01 PM

I wouldn't have a buttered steak there either.

C&CDean
2/5/2007, 05:02 PM
I wouldn't have a buttered steak there either.

Oh, so you'd order the hamburger then?

Mjcpr
2/5/2007, 05:05 PM
Oh, so you'd order the hamburger then?

No, just the non-buttered/oiled variety I guess. I've never heard of putting butter on a steak. And the only time I had a steak that somebody used oil of any kind, it tasted like burned oil.

I just like mine with salt, pepper and garlic powder or salt and pepper or garlic salt and pepper and grilled.

BeetDigger
2/5/2007, 05:05 PM
Ever hear of Steak Frites?

There is a place just east of 6th avenue on 52nd that serves a great Steak Frites. I can't remember the name of it. I just ate at Sparks a few weeks back. I think it was the best NY Strip (they just call it a sirloin on the menu) I have ever had.

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/5/2007, 05:07 PM
I've never heard of putting butter on a steak.

Fo reals, yo?

Mjcpr
2/5/2007, 05:09 PM
For reals. Every steak that was ever grilled in my presence just had some type of dry seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic salt, whatever) and then it was flopped on the grill.

C&CDean
2/5/2007, 05:11 PM
So what you're saying is you've never gone out for a steak then?

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/5/2007, 05:12 PM
Right after it's done (some people do it while it's still on the grill) you dob some herbed butter on it...maybe a little garlic butter...or plain butter for that matter...let it melt a bit while the meat's resting...

Try it. Sweet 8-month-old-baby jebus...try it.

Czar Soonerov
2/5/2007, 05:17 PM
...let it melt a bit while the meat's resting...

You really know your way around the "kitchen."

Beef
2/5/2007, 05:39 PM
Pepper, then broil the meat.

And I'm down with the butter, just not all the time. But I hardly eat beef anymore so it's irrelevant. Stupid cholesterol.

BeetDigger
2/5/2007, 08:22 PM
Right after it's done (some people do it while it's still on the grill) you dob some herbed butter on it...maybe a little garlic butter...or plain butter for that matter...let it melt a bit while the meat's resting...

Try it. Sweet 8-month-old-baby jebus...try it.

Blue cheese butter is the bestest that I have tried. BC mashed with butter along with some garlic.

tommieharris91
2/5/2007, 10:45 PM
Well, apparently there's something for liking cuts of meat with very little fat on them.

Do y'all make steak fajitas? If so, how?

Vaevictis
2/5/2007, 11:15 PM
I have no idea what that stuff is called, but I had it at a Cuban place in Miami and it was awesome.

If the dish you guys are describing is what I think you're describing, it's called "Palomilla." And the recipe-type thing I described above is how you make it.

Optionally, if you want the thinness that GottaHavePride described, most restaurants make them that thin by beating the crap out of the steak with a hammer. I guess maybe some cut them thin like GHP described, but I've never heard of it.

GottaHavePride
2/6/2007, 01:16 AM
If the dish you guys are describing is what I think you're describing, it's called "Palomilla." And the recipe-type thing I described above is how you make it.

Optionally, if you want the thinness that GottaHavePride described, most restaurants make them that thin by beating the crap out of the steak with a hammer. I guess maybe some cut them thin like GHP described, but I've never heard of it.

This was just a cut of steak sliced diagonally, but very very thin. Good stuff.

The hilarious part was the restaurant was probably within 500 yards of the Hard Rock in Miami. I laughed at all the fools in the marching band that went to Hard Rock to eat average crap while I had one of the best meals I've ever had.

They had Tres Leches for dessert. And the good stuff. Tasted like homemade.

Boarder
2/6/2007, 11:15 AM
For something different if you ever get the chance, try the smoked sirloin at Texas Land And Cattle. (they have them in Dallas, I don't know where else)

It's not so much a steak in the traditional sense. One side is pepper coated and then it's smoked (so it's pink inside). Very tender and tasty. Almost like a prime rib look but not as much fat. Different from regular steaks, but good nonetheless.

Rhino
2/6/2007, 12:07 PM
For something different if you ever get the chance, try the smoked sirloin at Texas Land And Cattle. (they have them in Dallas, I don't know where else)

It's not so much a steak in the traditional sense. One side is pepper coated and then it's smoked (so it's pink inside). Very tender and tasty. Almost like a prime rib look but not as much fat. Different from regular steaks, but good nonetheless. Mmmmmmmhmmmmm.

Very good eats.

picasso
2/6/2007, 12:13 PM
you guys will laugh but one of the best steaks I have ever had was at a sushi bar in Tulsa.

also, try the Filet Bryan @ Carrabba's. it ain't on the menu but they will make it. and the waiter will tell you very good choice.