PDA

View Full Version : SWITCH!

Oldnslo
2/4/2007, 12:02 PM
I just replaced a faulty light switch in my utility room. No big deal.

Except, when I was a kid, my big brother was always the one who did chores like that around the house. I'd peer over his shoulder watching, and he'd have me fetch whatever tools he needed. Sometimes, I'd "help", but that usually meant he'd have to undo whatever I did and then do it right.

So, now, whenever I do something like this, simple as it was, I'm amazed when it works. Especially on the first time. Without electrocuting myself or causing even a small fire.

Last time I was in Atlanta, bro and I went on a bike ride. 80-something miles on the Silver Comet trail, just about the flattest, easiest long ride in the known universe. I'd shipped my bike there for the ride--we'd been talking about it forevar.

Except, about an hour into it, bro got a flat. He was all ready to call his wife to come get us, but I got my tire fixin' stuff out of my pack, got the tire off, replaced the tube and put the tire back on. Took about 15 minutes.

Now, he carries flat fixin' stuff and handles that bit of unpleasantness when it arises. He's taught my nephew how to do it, too.

Anyway, the switch works.

SicEmBaylor
2/4/2007, 12:09 PM
Now, oddly enough I do know how to fix a bike tire.
Back when I was much younger I had this really awesome 20-something speed bike with dual shocks.

I used to take that bike completely apart and put it back together. I'd change the tires, oil the chain, tighten and connect the brake lines, etc.

Sooner51
2/4/2007, 12:19 PM
Being a younger sibling myself I was usually the one fetching tools as well. I felt cheated over the years that I wasn't the one helping my dad change the oil on the dirtbikes. Shortly after my brother replaced the water pump on my first car ('84 Mustang), it didn't take and I burned my motor up, I realized that I could not depend on him anymore for repairs. 15 years later, I have enough tools to fix pretty much anything that needs fixin. I also have found that I enjoy working with wood. Congrats on your new switch Oldnslo, I commend you.