PDA

View Full Version : work out know*******s

OUHOMER
2/4/2007, 09:49 AM
So the wife and I join a gym the other day.:O Its one of the 24 hour places, so we can go anytime we get off our butts. Couple of things I don’t like about it is that it’s a little small, and is basically ran by kids. We had to ask how to work some of the machines, you would think they would give you a tour and show you what every machine does.

Anyway it looks like we are on our own, we seem to be walking around and trying to figure out what to do. I start on one of the sit down bicycle go about a mile, than I get on the tread mill for about a mile, than I hit the machines. On the machines I just do a set of 15 reps of what ever weight I choice and than call it a day.

We don’t want to waste our time, but we need to get some kind of shape. I got a spare tire that wont quit, ITS GOT TO GO.:eek:

So the question is.

1. Do I make a list and take it with me. So I know what weight I am using on each machine
2. Do I do more sets and do I do them while I am there, like a set of 15, rest, a set of 15. or should I go thru the machine and start over and go thru the sets again
3. Should I just work on losing weight before I really get into the machines?
4. Should I get a banana split (potassium) or double cheeseburger (protein) after I workout?

Also, I was getting cramps in my calf when doing the bicycle and tread mill. I asked the pharmacist about potassium pills and she brought to my attention that I was just not drinking enough water, and was not hydrated enough.

?????????

BajaOklahoma
2/4/2007, 10:54 AM
They should have shown you the machines and helped you start out correctly. What time of day did you go? This could have been the night crew, traditionally not go-getters.
The top staff tend to work day shifts
Think about hiring a personal trainer for a session or two.

NormanPride
2/4/2007, 11:01 AM
You need to drink a ****load of water, dude. Most people don't drink NEAR enough water. And if you work out, even more. That will also help you lose weight.

What are your eating habits like?

Oldnslo
2/4/2007, 11:04 AM
I start on one of the sit down bicycle go about a mile, than I get on the tread mill for about a mile, than I hit the machines. On the machines I just do a set of 15 reps of what ever weight I choice and than call it a day.

We don’t want to waste our time, but we need to get some kind of shape. I got a spare tire that wont quit, ITS GOT TO GO.:eek:

So the question is.

1. Do I make a list and take it with me. So I know what weight I am using on each machine
2. Do I do more sets and do I do them while I am there, like a set of 15, rest, a set of 15. or should I go thru the machine and start over and go thru the sets again
3. Should I just work on losing weight before I really get into the machines?
4. Should I get a banana split (potassium) or double cheeseburger (protein) after I workout?

Also, I was getting cramps in my calf when doing the bicycle and tread mill. I asked the pharmacist about potassium pills and she brought to my attention that I was just not drinking enough water, and was not hydrated enough.

?????????
If your goal is weight loss, you'll find that the quickest way to do that is by aerobic exercise. Weight training on top of that will allow you to have additional success, but what you've got to get your heart rate up a bit and keep it there awhile, and unless you're VERY disciplined about lifting, that ain't so easy to do.

A list? yes. It will also keep track of your progress. That's a good thing.

There are about a zillion different ways to lift, but most folks do sets of one exercise and then move on. As you progress, you may want to work one set of muscles to exhaustion before moving on. But, there's only so much of that you can do in a day, so you pick a day to do arms/chest and another to do legs, etc.

Consider getting a heart rate monitor. "Aerobic" doesn't necessarily mean hard work, in fact, most of the time, my HRM is telling me to ease off.

The first thing you need to do is identify your goal. Then, figure out what exercises you enjoy doing. Since the gym doesn't seem to offer much in the way of guidance, you may want to invest in a trainer. Or a bit of internet/library research to help you establish a program to get you where you want to go.

Fatburning is easier than you think. It just takes time. But no matter how much exercise you do, if you follow it up with a double cheeseburger and banana split, you won't be seeing results. (I know this because the reason I work out is so I can eat what I want. From time to time, I have specific goals and adjust my workout and intake, but most of the time, I'm just trying to keep myself from expanding).

IronSooner
2/4/2007, 11:06 AM
Making a list can help, especially when you're starting out. I took a weight training course at OU and they made us do that. I have a pretty decent memory for weights, but it did help with some things. Also helps you think it out and plan what you're doing beforehand.

I would do multiple sets while you're at the same station. I don't go back, I just do one exercise, then the next, then the next.

You can lose weight while doing machines...combo of cardio and machines should be good. Muscle burns fat so it helps to do both.

Throw some bacon on that double cheeseburger. ;) Downing some protein after working out actually does help if you're trying to build a little bit.

Stretch before working out and also a little during. You should be drinking plenty of water starting maybe 12 hours before you go work out to get hydrated. That will help with the cramps. Downing a bunch of water once you're already cramping won't help. Maybe eat a banana 3-4 hrs in advance too.

OUHOMER
2/4/2007, 11:29 AM
Ok here’s is my normal eating habits

Monday thru Friday

Breakfast- 1 pot of coffee and a pack of cigarettes
Lunch- if I take it, 2 bologna and cheese sandwiches and 20 oz Dr Pepper
If I go out for lunch- Sonic super burger and fries, large Dr pepper- Sonic sized of course

Dinner- what ever the wife cooks
Snack- chocolate chip cookies and 2% milk :O

Saturday and Sundays
Breakfast- pot of coffee, 3 eggs, some fried potatoes, 3 strips of bacon, home made tortillas, glass of 2% milk :O

Lunch- none, breakfast is late on weekends
Dinner what ever the wife makes
Snacks- something sweet

Until I joined gym, exercise was typing on SO.

Oldnslo
2/4/2007, 11:44 AM
How healthy do you want to get?

Caffeine screws up how your body delivers insulin. Plus, soft drinks have a HUGE impace on total caloric intake. That 20 oz DP probably packs something like 300 calories. To burn that off, you'd have to run 2+ miles or walk (not stroll) 3 miles.

That drink is probably one of the easiest things for you to change, and it's having a bigger impact than you might imagine. Cutting that out isn't going to be the Holy Grail, but it's a great first step.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/4/2007, 12:13 PM
I'd definitely spring for the banana split without the split following your workout. Ater I lifted on Thursday, I felt a little dizzy. I ate the banana and I was fine.

If you're having trouble getting started, get a trainer for a few sessions. It helps to have someone who knows what they are doing to help you get started.

Also, after you've started lifting, don't get lazy and quit. I made a lot of progress, then my Dad got sick and I quit lifting. I'm paying for it now.

Howzit
2/4/2007, 12:50 PM
On top of Oldnslo's advice I would offer this:

Your blood stores fuel for muscle activity in the form of glycogen. When you are doing aerobic activity, the muscles will use the glycogen first, and a general rule of thumb is that you have around 20 minutes stored. Once the available glycogen stores are burned off your body will begin using fat to fuel your muscles. You do not go into fat-burning mode until 20 minutes or so into cardio activity.

I hear people sometimes say running didn't help them lose weight, they were running 2 miles a day and nothing. While 2 miles a day is better than no miles a day, it's after those 2 miles that you begin burning the fat.

It just takes time and patience. Good luck.

<edit> One more thing, don't let yourself go anaerobic during cardio. Your heartrate should stay in the 50%-60% of max heartrate level to stay in fat burning mode. Another rule of thumb is you should be able to carry on a conversation. If you are too out of breath to carry a conversation, you should back off of the intensity to bring your heartrate down a bit.

tbl
2/4/2007, 12:58 PM
www.bodybuilding4u.com

Anything you want to know is right here, from diet to tons of different exercise programs depending on what you want to do (lose weight, tone up, bulk up, etc). I've been working out for around 3 weeks and I've already progressed to the split phase workout, seeing pretty considerable results.

Diet - Eat 5-6 small meals a day and never get full. For two of those meals, get some whey protein (Wal-Mart sells a big jug for 11 months) and mix it with water instead of milk. Doesn't taste that great, but you do two scoops and that's 46G protein. In order to build muscle, you gotta feed them fuel (protein).

Start off each workout with 10 minutes of cardio, progressing up to 20 once you get used to it. Don't do walking either. Jog, run, or leg it on a nautilus. If your heart rate isn't booming, you're not really doing anything.

Frozen Sooner
2/4/2007, 01:00 PM
Something that I've found helps me be successful is working with a trainer. Get a good trainer, not some random college kid trying to earn a couple of bucks. That's not to say that the college kids don't know anything, but they can be something of a crapshoot.

I'm working with a guy who used to be on the US powerlifting team. You better believe he's kicking my ***, but he also knows what he's doing and is keeping me from doing anything stupid.

OUinFLA
2/4/2007, 02:11 PM
Until I joined gym, exercise was typing on SO.

give up the Dr Pepper and just type faster and longer.

sooneron
2/4/2007, 02:21 PM
Work on one muscle group a day with some cardio. You can also work on opposite muscle groups on the same day. They should be opposite- Biceps/triceps, chest /back. It all depends upon how much time you have. You should do 3-4 sets of each machine or exercise. Depending upon weight, start with really light to make sure your form is good, you CAN have bad form on a machine and cheat and thus, cheat yourself. You can use your shoulders too much on a bench machine.

Typical biceps - preacher curls, hammer curls, suppinate curls (these suck the most and will req less weight)
Triceps - pulldowns, skullcrushers, rear arm extensions while placing wieght forward.

A good thing to do is jumping rope for the 40 sec to one min between sets.

SCOUT
2/4/2007, 04:23 PM
Hey tbl, you have an unfortunate typo in your url. :D

OUTromBoNado
2/5/2007, 04:05 AM
give up the Dr Pepper and just type faster and longer.
:( :pop: :twinkies:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/5/2007, 07:48 AM
Something that I've found helps me be successful is working with a trainer. Get a good trainer, not some random college kid trying to earn a couple of bucks. That's not to say that the college kids don't know anything, but they can be something of a crapshoot.

I'm working with a guy who used to be on the US powerlifting team. You better believe he's kicking my ***, but he also knows what he's doing and is keeping me from doing anything stupid.Agreed. That's what I'm doing now. Be prepared to spend crack ho bucks on a good trainer, but it's worth it.

tbl
2/5/2007, 12:13 PM
Hey tbl, you have an unfortunate typo in your url. :D
Ha! That was bad... YMSSRA

OUHOMER
3/30/2007, 08:09 PM
Well. It’s been about 2 months since we started. I have only lost 15 to 17 lbs. I have concentrated on upper body, (still have a bad calf muscle). So my arms and chest have grown. I do about 10 to 15 mins cardo to get heart rate up and than move to weights. I don’t let any grass grow between sets. I move as fast as I can. Normally I do 3 sets of everything. We only go 3 times a week so I guess this isn’t too bad.

I can’t get the eating thing down. I mean I have reduced intake maybe too much. Not feeding the protein like I should. No more Dr, peppers or cheese burgers for a while anyway. I am thinking about going on off days during the week just for cardo.

Slow process for me

Blue
3/30/2007, 08:16 PM
Well. It’s been about 2 months since we started. I have only lost 15 to 17 lbs. I have concentrated on upper body, (still have a bad calf muscle). So my arms and chest have grown. I do about 10 to 15 mins cardo to get heart rate up and than move to weights. I don’t let any grass grow between sets. I move as fast as I can. Normally I do 3 sets of everything. We only go 3 times a week so I guess this isn’t too bad.

I can’t get the eating thing down. I mean I have reduced intake maybe too much. Not feeding the protein like I should. No more Dr, peppers or cheese burgers for a while anyway. I am thinking about going on off days during the week just for cardo.

Slow process for me

You're doing what I did. I joined Cuts and did the circiut workout thing with the thin and healthy diet. I wanted to lose about 15 pounds.

Be careful, because if you're not enjoying the food during the white knuckle phase, you'll go back harder than ever on junk food when you decide "You'll eat what you want. I lost ten pounds in about a month a gained it back in like 3 weeks.

OUHOMER
3/30/2007, 08:20 PM
I here ya. My problem is i dont eat in the morning, might eat a late lunch (1 turkey sandwich) if i get up in time to make it.

But yea i been on the diet yoyo before. lose 10 gain 12

Blue
3/30/2007, 08:22 PM
I here ya. My problem is i dont eat in the morning, might eat a late lunch (1 turkey sandwich) if i get up in time to make it.

But yea i been on the diet yoyo before. lose 10 gain 12

You gotta get that metabolism going early. I'm like you though...cigarettes and coffee is the breakfast of champions.

sooneron
3/30/2007, 08:25 PM

Slow process for me
15-17 lbs is pretty damn good. You really don't want to lose the weight real fast as it can go back on faster. 1.5- 2 lbs a week is good. You're on the right track, just stick with it and I guarantee you'll see excellent results in the next 6 weeks. How much did you want to lose?

OUHOMER
3/30/2007, 08:37 PM
Something I noticed in the last couple of days. The days I don’t eat enough, I didn’t feel like I got a good work out, I was tired, no energy and no weight loss. Today, I had a &#188; wedge of baked potato and a chicken breast about 10:00 am. A turkey sandwich at 1 pm, a peanut butter sandwich at 4pm. I seemed to have a lot more energy when I hit the gym, got a productive work out. So I need the fuel to feed the fire. Maybe if I prepare my meals the day before it would help. That and add a protein drink about 1 hour before the work out and one after.

My thought process is to build muscle and the fat will fall. I hope

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/30/2007, 08:55 PM
Something I noticed in the last couple of days. The days I don’t eat enough, I didn’t feel like I got a good work out, I was tired, no energy and no weight loss. Today, I had a ¼ wedge of baked potato and a chicken breast about 10:00 am. A turkey sandwich at 1 pm, a peanut butter sandwich at 4pm. I seemed to have a lot more energy when I hit the gym, got a productive work out. So I need the fuel to feed the fire. Maybe if I prepare my meals the day before it would help. That and add a protein drink about 1 hour before the work out and one after.

My thought process is to build muscle and the fat will fall. I hopeYou need more veggies. Seriously. That's almost all carbs. I'm not an advocate of baning carbs, but you need to mix in some rabbit food with that diet. If you don't like veggies, at least drink some V8. Try to eat every 3 or so hours to keep the metabolism going.

It's tough! I've been building muscle and losing inches from cardio and lifting 3X-week. I've had to learn that I can't eat or drink alcohol like a skinny person. My metabolism just doesn't work that way.

OUHOMER
3/30/2007, 08:58 PM
your right, I do need veggys and fruits. Plus they would be easier to pack for lunch

Oldnslo
3/30/2007, 09:10 PM
2 lbs a week is awesome! You're doing great!

sooneron
3/30/2007, 09:11 PM
Lose the baked potato, it's no better than french fries. People that order them instead of fries that think, "Oh, I'll lose weight, I'm not having fries" are kidding themselves.

sooneron
3/30/2007, 09:11 PM
Snack on some baby carrots and green beans or snow peas.