PDA

View Full Version : What goes around, comes around, Booby Knight...

crawfish
2/3/2007, 10:01 PM
Longar: 19pts, 14 rebounds.

:D

Soonerus
2/3/2007, 10:02 PM
Yeah Baby !!!!!!

Cam
2/3/2007, 10:03 PM
Vindication for L2.

jk the sooner fan
2/3/2007, 10:06 PM
what a great game....i really like the way Capel manages a game

way to go L2!!!!!!

MichiganSooner
2/3/2007, 10:10 PM
19 Points, 14 rebounds....and how about that monster block!

What a game. I am so proud to be a Sooner.

Bet osu fans are sweating.

MichiganSooner
2/3/2007, 10:16 PM
I missed a bit of game. L2 had a bandage on the lip. What happened?

An elbow?

MamaMia
2/3/2007, 10:26 PM
That crowd was on fire. The outcome was perfect. I would have loved to of been there. :D

okienole3
2/3/2007, 10:50 PM
Classy.....classy move by Capel to pull Longar at the end so the crowd could give him an ovation.

King Crimson
2/3/2007, 10:53 PM
wish i could have been there....but i will go to sleep tonight feeling good.

sooneredaco
2/3/2007, 11:16 PM
L2 is such a stand up guy and really deserved this

colleyvillesooner
2/3/2007, 11:27 PM
He played with a fire never seen before. Here's hoping he keeps it.

Awesome win.

TopDawg
2/3/2007, 11:29 PM
Plus the Longar suspension that Knight lobbied for is, arguably, what led to Nate Carter's rise in productivity.

So thanks for that, too, Knight.

OzarkSooner
2/4/2007, 12:11 AM
A double double for Longarx2.....

Eat that Booby!!!!

Man, I can't stand that guy.

stoopified
2/4/2007, 12:38 AM
Bobby got EXACTLY what he deserved.Way to go L2 and the SOONERS.

birddog
2/4/2007, 12:56 AM
NORMAN — Jeff Capel made the long walk from his bench to the Texas Tech end of the court Saturday night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Story continues below advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coaches routinely meet at midcourt for pre-game pleasantries, but rarely is a Bobby Knight game routine. Routine or pleasant.

Anyway, Capel strolled boldly into Red Raider territory, found Knight sitting on a chair and stuck out a hand. Knight did not rise but did return the extended hand.

After what was mostly a rousing Big 12 hoops show, won 75-61 by the Sooners with a late spree, Capel and Knight staged a drive-by handshake.

Did Knight say anything before the game? "Nope,” Capel said.

Anything after the game? "Nope,” Capel said. "Nope.”

Does that bother Capel? "No, I could care less,” said the Sooner ringmaster. "I have all the respect in the world for him, but I don't have to have relationships with coaches.”

Knight has 35 years on Capel; 35 years and, let's do some quick math, uh, 792 victories. But not only did Capel play the part of adult Saturday night, he also more than held his own with the old fox.

The Big 12's latest coaching feud grew more fangs at Lloyd Noble Center. Knight, still miffed over the Longar Longar incident of a month ago, skipped the post-game press conference. So we don't know what he had to say about a game that was tight for 37 minutes but got away from the Red Raiders down the stretch.

Don't know what he said, but we can guess. Longar, whose errant elbow busted the eye socket of Tech center Esmir Rizvic in a Jan. 6 game, played his best game as a Sooner, with 19 points and 14 rebounds.

Here's guessing that if Longar had gone for three points and four rebounds, even in an OU win, Knight would have shown up to impart his wisdom. But the injustice of it all was too much for Knight.

Tech's PR man said Knight had been sick all week. Too sick to talk? Maybe that's why he didn't speak to Capel.

Anyway, Pat Knight, Bobby's son and Tech's crown prince, stood in for Pops and let us know that the ill will is not evaporating, though Pat was much more cordial about the message.

Did Longar seem to play more inspired because of the circumstances surrounding the game?

"I hope they're not (using) putting a kid in the hospital with reconstructive facial surgery as motivation,” Pat Knight said. "I hope he's motivated because it's a Big 12 game.”

Then Knight laid out Tech's stance on the issue: "a two-game suspension (vs.) reconstructive facial surgery, out for the season.”

Make no mistake. The Longar incident hasn't been forgotten in Lubbock. Hasn't been forgotten in Norman, either.

When Capel subbed for Longar in the final minute, Capel embraced his 6-foot-11 center with a hearty hug. Then he once again defended Longar.

"Longar was unfairly labeled,” said Capel, who has maintained the elbow was an accident and who was upset with the suspension by Big 12 commissioner Kevin Weiberg.

Longar said this game wasn't personal, but that's hard to believe. He seemed to play with a fire and a bounce that often is lacking against quality foes. If Longar can be this active in the post, the Sooners are a new and improved team.

Of course, the irony is that Longar got some help from, of all people, Knight. Tech is a two-man team — Jarrius Jackson and Martin Zeno, who combined for 51 of the 61 Red Raider points — but Knight has an experienced big man in 6-9 senior Darryl Dora.

But Dora didn't even play in the first half, when OU took a 30-27 lead and Longar was ignited with 11 points and seven rebounds.

Pat Knight's explanation? Dora didn't play well against Texas, so Tech's staff figured it would try someone else. That's the kind of mind games that should drive Tech fans crazy and can cost you a game.

Dora played the entire second half, and Longar was less effective offensively. No coincidence.

Meanwhile, Capel pulled all the right strings, even employing seldom-used guard Chris Walker as a defensive substitute. Jackson had 31 points with eight minutes left, but with Walker dogging him down the stretch, Jackson didn't score again and missed his final six shots.

A team as limited as the Sooners must make use of every ounce of talent, and that's what Capel did. That's how a team scrapes out victories.

Give Capel credit for this one. Credit for putting his team in position to win, and credit for not backing down to a bully.

tulsaoilerfan
2/4/2007, 04:19 AM
Screw Texas Tech and both of the Knights; is the wahmbulance on the way to take them back to Lubbock?

Beef
2/4/2007, 08:21 AM
Anyway, Pat Knight, Bobby's son and Tech's crown prince, stood in for Pops and let us know that the ill will is not evaporating, though Pat was much more cordial about the message.

Did Longar seem to play more inspired because of the circumstances surrounding the game?

"I hope they're not (using) putting a kid in the hospital with reconstructive facial surgery as motivation,” Pat Knight said. "I hope he's motivated because it's a Big 12 game.”

Then Knight laid out Tech's stance on the issue: "a two-game suspension (vs.) reconstructive facial surgery, out for the season.”
Is this the Knight family's way of being more cordial? Accusing our players of getting a rise out of a young man being hurt? Pat's as big an a$$ as his dad. What a friggin unbelievable line. Maybe L2 and our team was extra fired up to avenge a loss? Or because of Knight unfairly labeling L2 as a thug deserving a full year suspension? Or Knights whining about the clock deal 3 friggin years ago? Or Knight's comments about the Oregon game? Or maybe people just like to beat Urine because their head coach has 30+ years of prick behavior. Unbelievable.

crawfish
2/4/2007, 08:42 AM
It's utterly classless to throw a kid under the bus for an accident - ESPECIALLY for a sixty-plus year old HOF coach to do so.

"What comes around, goes around," indeed. Knight has rarely said truer words. It's the reason he's spending his waning years in Lubbock, Texas. While Kelvin Sampson is coaching at Indiana. :D

lubbocksooner
2/4/2007, 08:49 AM
I hope Longar can keep the fire burning so to speak. I know that I would have been hacked off after being suspended for something that was not intentional. It was a bad deal but there was no malice in it.

What about Walker out there playing Defense. Maybe Capel can sit him down and get him to up his game like Carter? Sure would be nice to see all our players living up to their potential. Congrats to everyone on the team, great effort last night.

oumartin
2/4/2007, 10:29 AM
I finally got to watch a full basketball game Last night and for some reason could not get soonerfans to open up but I just have to say L2 got a little vindication. Also have to say Capel is gonna be a great coach and it sounded like the crowd got really loud. I sure hope everyone gets behind this coach. I know I need to start going when I am off.

colleyvillesooner
2/4/2007, 10:56 AM
Not going to the post game presser: *****.

Having you're son stand up for you and look like an ***: Priceless.

MamaMia
2/4/2007, 12:23 PM
"I hope they're not (using) putting a kid in the hospital with reconstructive facial surgery as motivation,” Pat Knight said. "I hope he's motivated because it's a Big 12 game.”oh for heavens sake. How dare he make such an insinuation. Utter nonsense is what that is. :rolleyes:

MamaMia
2/4/2007, 12:24 PM
nm

GrapevineSooner
2/4/2007, 01:08 PM
No Pat. That's not it.

I'd say getting thrown under the proverbial bus by your a**hole dad is what motivated him.

Rook65
2/4/2007, 02:57 PM
Capel rulz, Knight droolz.

Readyfor8
2/4/2007, 04:54 PM
Was the team motivated by what happened after lubbock in Kansas City? Absolutly!! It's no coincidence that when they announced L^2 as a starter (or that he started over griffin to begin with) that when he trotted onto the floor, Kellen Sampson frisked Longar before he joined the other starters.

In the middle of the floor in front of everyone, and it was hillarious. My seats from the 7th row of N7 were howling.

Collier11
2/4/2007, 06:07 PM
Great Article about the D*ck wad coach here...

Sooners find perfect fix for Bob's bullying

By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Writer
2/4/2007

NORMAN -- Here's how you shut big, bad, bully Bobby Knight up: Have Oklahoma post a 75-61 victory over Texas Tech.

Here's how you personally stick it to Knight, Texas Tech's coach and college basketball's biggest jerk: Have Sooner center Longar Longar score 19 points and grab 14 rebounds against the Red Raiders.

And here's how you enjoy vindication over Knight: You take Longar out of the game with 21 seconds left so the 11,690 spectators at the Lloyd Noble Center can go bonkers as they give him a standing ovation.

All of the above transpired Saturday night in what has to be one of the sweetest personal and team victories in the history of OU basketball.

And it became even sweeter after it was over when a petulant Knight sent his son, assistant coach Pat Knight, to the postgame press conference.

Texas officials said Knight, who had a whole lot to say about Longar after Tech defeated OU on Jan. 6, was feeling too ill to meet the press. Yeah, right.

But perhaps now we know the real reason why Knight suggested the Big 12 Conference suspend Longar for life after last month's game. At the time, Knight maintained Longar had intentionally thrown an elbow that broke the eye socket and ended the season of Tech center Esmir Rizvic.

Without Longar in OU's lineup, Tech would have won the rematch. But with the 6-foot-11, 228-pound Longar having the best game of his career, OU sent Knight and the Red Raiders back to Lubbock with their third consecutive loss while the rapidly improving Sooners improved to 13-8 overall and 4-4 in the Big 12.

When the younger Knight showed up for the press conference, it was not a surprise that he produced a like-father, like-son act when asked about Longar, who the Big 12 suspended two games after the incident at Tech.

"I hope they (Sooners) are not using putting a kid in the hospital with reconstructive facial surgery and out for the season as motivation," Pat Knight said. "On one hand, you've got a two-game suspension. On the other hand, you've got reconstructive facial surgery and out for the season.

"You (media) guys do what you want with that."

OK, coach. What I'd do with that is suggest you and your father quit persecuting and accusing Longar of intentionally injuring Rizvic. And after that, you might try growing up.

While the younger Knight pouted after the loss, his famous father was in a snit all night. OU coach Jeff Capel had to walk all the way down to Tech's bench for a pregame handshake with Bobby Knight, who did not stand or look at Capel when he offered his hand.

And after the game, Knight briefly shook Capel's hand as he brushed by OU's first-year coach. And did he say anything before or after the contest

"Nope," Capel said.

Longar, his fellow teammates and Capel, meanwhile, took the high road the entire night. All of them insisted after the key conference victory that they were not motivated to repay Knight for his harsh and insensitive comments about Longar.

"The personal stuff was behind me," Longar said. "You can't go into a game with problems on your mind."

But until the past few days, Longar's mind was indeed a troubled one. After serving the suspension, the native of the Sudan withdrew into an emotional shell as he struggled for several games.

"That's the thing that probably upset me the most about the whole deal," Capel said. "He (Longar) is one of the nicest, most mild-mannered young men you will ever meet.

"He did a phenomenal job tonight. He was tremendous, and I wanted him to have the ovation he deserved."

Longar scored the game's first point on a free throw 20 seconds into the contest. He proceeded to remove any doubt about still being in a shell when he played with aggressiveness and toughness for every one of the 35 minutes he was on the floor.

"I felt like I had been letting the whole team down," Longar said. "So I knew I had to buckle it up and come out strong."

Buckle it up he did. And in the process, he shut up the biggest bully and boorish coach in college hoops.

OzarkSooner
2/4/2007, 08:42 PM
Whoooooooooooo WEE! Now THAT is the kind of stuff that sports writers need to keep writing about Booby Knight...

GREAT JOB SITTLER!!!

Bourbon St Sooner
2/5/2007, 10:24 AM
Jeff Capel = Man

Bobby Knight = Baby

I have a serious man crush on Capel. Enjoy your remaining years in that armpit known as Lubbock, Booby. And just know that this was the worst OU team you're going to see for the remainder of your career.

crawfish
2/7/2007, 08:44 AM
Loss to Nebraska at home. Heh.

Does anybody else notice he's an incredibly average-to-low-average coach these days? He's failing with two of the better players in the conference...

skycat
2/7/2007, 10:09 AM

Does anybody else notice he's an incredibly average-to-low-average coach these days? He's failing with two of the better players in the conference...

But he doesn't have anybody else, and he's played those guys a brazillion minutes. That team is just flat out wearing down.

I know you guys don't like him, but the man can still coach. He's having a hard time getting players though.

Collier11
2/7/2007, 11:29 AM
. He's having a hard time getting players though.

WONDER WHY!!!! :rolleyes:

crawfish
2/7/2007, 11:49 AM
But he doesn't have anybody else, and he's played those guys a brazillion minutes. That team is just flat out wearing down.

I know you guys don't like him, but the man can still coach. He's having a hard time getting players though.

He's got good enough players to do better than he does. He refuses to update his system for the types of players he has now, and they're paying the price for it. He can't get the players he needs because of his sorry legacy.

I'm laughing even more now that we find out the last-second winning shot by Nebraska should have been disallowed. What comes around, goes around, indeed. :D

skycat
2/7/2007, 12:07 PM
He's got good enough players to do better than he does. He refuses to update his system for the types of players he has now, and they're paying the price for it.

Maybe. He does have wins over the top three teams in the league though.

I still think by far his biggest problem is not finding a way to rest his two or three best players more.

GrapevineSooner
2/7/2007, 01:06 PM

Duck's swimming in the other pond, now.