PDA

View Full Version : So i was in Norman last night

OKLA21FAN
2/3/2007, 07:39 PM
for the first time on a 'non gameday' weekend in a long time. a group of friends and i were hanging out on Campus Corner and who walks in 'selling' his Norman Transcripts wearing his trademark 'OU Helmet'.

long story short, it had been over 20 years since I had 'bought' a paper from him, (like I had on an almost daily basis before). So I just had to do it one more time, problem was, the smallest Bill I had in my pocket was a Ten Dollar Bill.

Probably the best 10 bucks I ever spent. I am just sad I didn't have a camera with me.

when I told him, "I haven't bought a paper from you in probably 20 years", his respond was perfect. "Well, thats been too long"

irony at its finest hour, and made me realize that I need to spend me time going back 'home' that i have.

Sadly, I couldn't be 100% of his name, I think it is 'Calvin', and I also think there was a write-up in the Norman Transcript a few years ago. anyone have that linky so I can show mrs. okla21fan?

SoonersEnFuego
2/3/2007, 07:40 PM
Calvin kicks ***!

SoonersEnFuego
2/3/2007, 07:41 PM
Check this out:
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=16452630&blogID=195879737&MyToken=5c69527b-b7f9-4bc4-a4d0-627f37137a13

StoopTroup
2/3/2007, 07:43 PM
Defintiely Calvin.

I'm amazed he's still doing his route...

Wow!

sooneron
2/3/2007, 08:09 PM
I heard he bought Stoops' old house.

OKLA21FAN
2/3/2007, 08:15 PM
I heard he bought Stoops' old house.
heh!
whats funny, is that had I saw Bob Stoops last night on Campus Corner, I would have given him the same Ten Bucks and said 'thanks for the memories' and had a pretty good feeling about it.

both seem to not be afraid to use the resources around them and work hard to make their lives a bit better for tomorrow.

proud gonzo
2/3/2007, 10:23 PM
Calvin Rocks!!

Newbomb Turk
2/3/2007, 10:34 PM
Calvin Rocks!!
:kelvin:

OUTromBoNado
2/5/2007, 03:54 AM
Fire Calvin Simpson!

Wait...never mind.

n8v_ndn
2/5/2007, 08:57 AM
When we were at Campus Corner for the UW game this past season, there were 2-3 cops and an EMT attending him in the middle of the street. We never figured out what happened, but seeing the concern for one of our local celebs was touching to see.

Boomer.....
2/5/2007, 09:54 AM
He could have been having a seizure. He suffers from them, which is the reason that he wears the helmet. The helmet saves him from cracking his head open if he has a one.

OUTromBoNado
2/5/2007, 03:35 PM
He could have been having a seizure. He suffers from them, which is the reason that he wears the helmet. The helmet saves him from cracking his head open if he has a one.

Unfortunately, I know too much about this. My late uncle suffered from bad epilpsey, and one of my cousins does, too. I have it to, though I've only had two seizures, and the last was over 10 years ago. Thankfully, mine are easily controlled by medication, unlike my other two relatives. The most terrifying moment in my life was when I fully regained consciousness and coherence after my last seizure...I was about 14 or 15. I had been off medicine for 18 months, after taking it for 5 years....just seen the doc 6 months earlier and he had given me a clean bill of health and said, "Don't come back."

Sometimes I get ****ed about having to deal with the doctor appointments, and the medicine, and the occasional EEG every few years. But, when I look at the medical problems that a lot of other people have, especially people with more severe forms of epilepsy, I thank the good Lord and consider myself extremely lucky.

proud gonzo
2/5/2007, 03:57 PM
He could have been having a seizure. He suffers from them, which is the reason that he wears the helmet. The helmet saves him from cracking his head open if he has a one.ohh, I didn't realize that.

C&CDean
2/5/2007, 04:34 PM
ohh, I didn't realize that.

What, you thought Calvin wore the helmet to be stylin'?

Ol' Calvin can be pretty dang ornery. Give him some crap about something. Tell him he just sold you yesterday's paper and you want your money back. Tell him his zipper is down. He'll crack you up.

Boomer.....
2/5/2007, 04:40 PM
I don't know about cracking you up, but he will throw a punch or elbow every now and then.

SleestakSooner
2/5/2007, 04:45 PM
PAPER MISTER?

Does anyone have a pic of that t-shirt Calvin and some enterprising fellows made a few years ago.

It had a great shot of Calvin flipping two birds with the words "Calvin says TUCK FEXAS!"

SleestakSooner
2/8/2007, 06:26 AM
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?