PDA

View Full Version : Pomeroy rankings, we're #14?

ouradu
2/3/2007, 03:00 PM
I check this site often because it's a good site for an updated RPI ranking. He also has his own ranking system based mostely on a points per possession statistic. His system has us ranked 14. Usually in the past it's been pretty good, but this just doesn't give it much. One cool feature is the team pages where his formula predicts the outcomes of the games. He's got us finishing 9-7 in conference, which is 6-3 down the stretch, but gives us the edge in all but A&M game. I noticed a few weeks ago this guy has a blog on ESPN now kinda like Lunardi. Interesting site, if you want to check it out.

http://www.kenpom.com/rate.php

Eielson
2/3/2007, 06:12 PM
OSU is #41

Eielson
2/3/2007, 06:13 PM
Woot! 87 is our RPI!

ouradu
2/4/2007, 05:29 PM
Now he's got us going 10-6 in conference, with losses at home against A&M and either against Kansas or at K. St. 10-6 would probably be solidly on a bubble, don't you think, which would give us a shot at the tourney :) I think 10-6 at this point is a possibility. I'd say 9-7 has a real good chance and it definately would keep our post season streak alive. This season will probably end on a real strong note. Makes for exciting seasons to come under this staff.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/5/2007, 03:38 PM
Now he's got us going 10-6 in conference, with losses at home against A&M and either against Kansas or at K. St. 10-6 would probably be solidly on a bubble, don't you think, which would give us a shot at the tourney :) I think 10-6 at this point is a possibility. I'd say 9-7 has a real good chance and it definately would keep our post season streak alive. This season will probably end on a real strong note. Makes for exciting seasons to come under this staff.

IF we went 6-2 to finish 10-6 we with losses to A&M at home and KSU on the road we would be not only at tourney lock but the wins over OSU,Tex and KU would probably get us an 7-10 seed.

King Crimson
2/5/2007, 03:50 PM
by comparison, if you look at Lunardi....he's got Nova as one of the "last 4 in" but Pomeroy's rpi has Nova in the teens (which is 4-5, maybe 6 seed). Lunardi also has KSU out, but they have rpi 10 spots better than UT (who Lunardi has in).

Lunardi's bracket has no rhyme or reason to it....until the last weekend when 80% of the bracket is already set and a monkey could pick the thing within 80-85% since there are maybe 5-10 slots left. the statistical measure of the rpi may not be "the truth" but at least it's internally consistent.

10-6 in conference would be pretty nifty IMO.

SleestakSooner
2/5/2007, 04:22 PM
Personally I would much rather win all the remaining home games and lose at KSU or Mizzou. It will help the Sooners a ton if they were able to show a decent record at home at the time they pick teams for the big dance. Of course win the Big XII tourney in OKC and all this talk is made moot. :)

skycat
2/5/2007, 04:36 PM
Pomeroy has had you pretty high since the Baylor game, which was the kind of statistically dominating performance that Pomeroy's system likes. Longwood and Tech were also good wins from a Pomeroy perspective, and the road losses didn't hurt you too much.

You guys are pretty overrated in his system I'd say, but you're severely underated pretty much everywhere else.

ouradu
2/5/2007, 06:10 PM
Of course win the Big XII tourney in OKC and all this talk is made moot. :)
Not saying we'll win the thing, but being in our backyard has got to help us a ton towards winning a second game. Think if our second matchup were against UT, KU, A&M or KSU(who I think is the 4th best right now), being in OKC, if the crowd comes out, we got a shot.

bri
2/5/2007, 06:57 PM
If we get to play KU or Mizzou in the finals in OKC...somewhere, Billy Tubbs will be smiling.

And it will look creepy. :D