PDA

View Full Version : Will Stoops offer Sam McGuffie?

BASSooner
2/3/2007, 02:42 PM
He better. This kid is flat out ridiculous. If he came here we could see a Murray/McGuffie backfield for special teams

watch some of his film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hoQJPcj2qs&mode=related&search=
breaks 6 tackles for a 90 yard touchdown run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eygKqRMd94U
amazing leap over a player. His TD was 7th of that night

jccouger
2/3/2007, 02:48 PM
Woah, a white kid! haha, it would be enat if he became a sooner. I dont seem him listed as being interested in the sooners on rivals though.

Rhino
2/3/2007, 02:50 PM
I'm sure he'll be offered, doubt he'll commit to us with Justin Johnson committing today.

BASSooner
2/3/2007, 03:06 PM
I hope Stoops can do something though, because we absolutely need this kid, especially on special teams.

Seamus
2/3/2007, 03:29 PM
That kid's balance is akin to Q's. Sick.

And boyo, did ye notice 'e's got a nice Irish name to 'im, laddie? :D

Seamus
2/3/2007, 03:36 PM
Holy schnikies! I just saw where he had 321 yards and 7 TDs in that game with the hurdle. Please get him, Bob! :eek:

snp
2/3/2007, 03:56 PM
He's the white Noel Devine. In terms of man goo being spilt over him, his size, and potential.

TripleOption14
2/3/2007, 06:21 PM
Can anyone say Wes Welker!!! Looks like he could make a hell of a slot receiver!!! Not for sure about him playing RB at the next level. Noel Devine too for that matter.

trwxxa
2/3/2007, 11:28 PM
Can anyone say Wes Welker!!! Looks like he could make a hell of a slot receiver!!! Not for sure about him playing RB at the next level. Noel Devine too for that matter.

Right on. His skill is after he gets to the edge and in the open field. He is not one to get the tough yards, since he only weighs about 170.

insuranceman_22
2/4/2007, 01:30 AM
He runs like Devine, but doesn't appear to have the same off-field difficulties! I do believe he'd make a nice addition to the Sooner fold!

soonerthanu
2/4/2007, 02:31 AM
Found this tidbit on scout.

Houston (Texas) Cy Fair running back Sam McGuffie attended the University of Oklahoma's junior day with offers from Texas A&M, Kansas, Kansas State and Texas Tech. He came home with an official offer directly from Bob Stoops himself.

Sam McGuffie recently picked up an offer from Oklahoma.
"I got to meet with Coach Stoops and we watched my highlight tape and I think he was shocked," McGuffie said. "He really liked what I could do on the field and offered me right there. I was so excited I started calling people right after I left his office.

"I mean that is Oklahoma were are talking about and one of the best coaches in the country."

McGuffie drove to Sooner country with J.B. Shugarts and his father Bret. Once on campus they met up with Gilmer's Justin Johnson.

"It was great," he said. "Justin showed us around and we just hung out. It was a very comfortable atmosphere."

The trio was hitting the Oklahoma-Texas Tech game later that night.

"I'm going to wait, but I really like Oklahoma," McGuffie said.

Collier11
2/4/2007, 02:52 AM
I would love to see him as a future slot type receiver for OU. He would be good on reverses and slants

OU-HSV
2/4/2007, 09:36 AM
He looks small, but man he is athletic

KingDavid
2/4/2007, 05:21 PM
Interesting tid-bit on Rivals for those who think Justin Johnson's commitment might derail McGuffie from coming to OU, or vice-versa.

McGuffie said that Justin Johnson was pushing for him to come to OU and they would, in Johnson's words, be "like Thunder and Lightning."

Stoops allegedly told McGuffie that he's the fastest player he's ever seen on film. High praise, no doubt.

Lastly, and also noteworthy: McGuffie weighed in at 191 this weekend. That's decent bulk at 5'10". He'll do fine on size.

Collier11
2/4/2007, 05:24 PM
Thats more than Mark Clayton came in at IM pretty sure and he turned out decent

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/4/2007, 05:31 PM
Justin Johnson sounds like hell of a recruiter ;) I hope we get him so we can give him the nickname INA Ivory Ninja Assasin!

lcaldwell1
2/4/2007, 09:55 PM
i know this is kinda off subject a bit..but does anyone know when the rankings come out for rivals for the class of 08 players?

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/4/2007, 10:15 PM
i know this is kinda off subject a bit..but does anyone know when the rankings come out for rivals for the class of 08 players?

Well, for sure after this Tuesday

cameraguy1
2/4/2007, 11:03 PM
Had the opportunity to watch this young man at Reliant Stadium while visiting relatives during the holidays. Just happened to be playoffs in TX and watching him was quite enjoyable. After the first two plays of the game (including kickoff returrn) he had the first score. Quite something to see. Very impressive indeed.

chbrew09
2/4/2007, 11:45 PM

on rivals they come out with the "pre-100 rankings", but this changes a lot before they put out the first actual rivals 100...rankings by position dont come out for awhile i believe

Socrefbek
2/4/2007, 11:52 PM
All Texas players start out with 4 stars and then go up to 5 star if they sign with saxeT and drop to 3 stars if they sing with OU. Mack gets very angry if he does not win thise recruiting titles! :P

SOONERKAT
2/5/2007, 10:43 AM
My little rbother lives on Sam's street and plays with him at Cy-Fair. Make no mistake, this kid has speed and vertical skills that are unreal.

That said, his family is all from Michigan, and the word is that if Carr offers, he is a Wolverine. Fran is making a hard push for him too. I would love to see this kid in Norman, but it doesn't look good. From what my borther tells me, he is a really good kid too. Real quiet and humble. His dad on the other hand, well he is not a coach, but "the idiot" comes to mind.

Seamus
2/5/2007, 02:23 PM
http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=54392&Sport=1

Rivals has his school choices as:

Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

Just sayin' ...

Meisterman
2/7/2007, 09:37 PM
I have seen McGuffie play many games this past year. He was good enough to start at tailback as a Sophomore and was vastly improved his Junior year.

The High School football talent in Texas is just sick. As a point of reference, I lived a number of years in Jenks and saw the best football the State of Oklahoma has to offer. It is not the same.

McGuffie is the best "white" running back I have watched in the Houston area since Craig James came out of Strafford. He is fast, great balance, changes speeds and sets up his blocks very well. Not a showboat...and more of a personality like another Houston product "Q". He is the deep man on all kickoff returns and I did not see any opposing teams that would kick it to him...even during their playoff run.

His High school coach is an Aggie and family ties are to Michigan. So there is the competiton.

On a side note...Sam Proctor(Sooner commit) played against McGuffie in a great high school playoff game this fall. Proctor is a winner and you'll like him.

snp
2/7/2007, 11:29 PM
McGuffie also runs a 10.3 100M, which is faster than anyone on the team right now.

And yes, we offered him at junior day.

SOONERKAT
2/8/2007, 10:26 AM
Sam runs, on average, a 4.3 40 and has, get this, a 42 inch vert.:eek: ! He is as talented an athelete as I've seen in HS football. The district he plays in here in NW Houston had some real talent this year, but he was far and away better than them all. ATM is making a huge push to get him (his HS coach is an ag), and Leach has basically told him he could play whatever he wants if he goes to Tech. But his dad is a daddy bomar type and wants him to go to Michigan. I kinda feel bad for the kid because from what my brother tells me, he is a pretty good kid with a good head on his shoulders. If any of you live in or around the Houston area, try to get out to Berry Stadium (one of the nicest I have EVER stepped foot in) and check out a Cy-Fair HS game. It doesn't matter who they are playing, he will be sure to make you believe the hype.

LiL10(s)ArEaJoKe
2/8/2007, 10:37 AM
All you can say is WOW!!!!!!!

ATT YDS AVG TD REC
358 3,212 9.0 44 400

SOONERKAT
2/8/2007, 12:06 PM
The kid had 8 TD's in one game. In the smae game he had something like 376 yards in the first half.

For Real.

BASSooner
2/8/2007, 06:42 PM
All Texas players start out with 4 stars and then go up to 5 star if they sign with saxeT and drop to 3 stars if they sing with OU. Mack gets very angry if he does not win thise recruiting titles! :P
This has actually become true. When Brantley decommitted from saxet, he dropped to a 4 star player. USC is having a situation that is somewhat similar. When James Wilson(5 star OL) decommitted from USC to UF, another lineman that committed to USC immediately moved up to the 5-star status.

What's the conclusion of this?

Rankings are VERY biased.

Oh and about USC's recruiting how in the WORLD did USC just get the top receiver and top two runningbacks out of the blue? Those new freshmen are NOT going to get to play( Althoughm McKnight might be the new star)

snp
2/8/2007, 09:57 PM
What are you talking about? Both of your points are pretty much dead wrong.

They bumped Brantly down when they reevaluated all of the players, and he was bumped down. This wasn't one of those hidden agenda cases. Although it does happen, it's not as often as some people think. Lots of times kids are down until their film finally hits a big school and offers someone, than the recruit guys look more into him.

USC didn't get the top WR. And they've had Marc Tyler locked up for months. He's from Los Angeles, Joe McKnight was a surprise because skill position guys hardly ever leave the state of LA.

BASSooner
2/9/2007, 01:56 AM
What are you talking about? Both of your points are pretty much dead wrong.

They bumped Brantly down when they reevaluated all of the players, and he was bumped down. This wasn't one of those hidden agenda cases. Although it does happen, it's not as often as some people think. Lots of times kids are down until their film finally hits a big school and offers someone, than the recruit guys look more into him.

USC didn't get the top WR. And they've had Marc Tyler locked up for months. He's from Los Angeles, Joe McKnight was a surprise because skill position guys hardly ever leave the state of LA.
my whole point is that "rankings" tend to be pretty biased. We won't know how these guys perform until they set foot on the field. the ratings and rankings just give us an idea of what they are capable of doing. I do agree with that statement above though. I'm saying some of it did happen this year.

ashley
2/11/2007, 08:25 PM
All is true except he does not run a 10.3 100 meters. He does run the 100. He runs the hurdles. Yes he is fantastic.. Best I have seen since Thurman Thomas in Houston. And yes, I coached for 38 yrs.

snp
2/11/2007, 08:56 PM
All is true except he does not run a 10.3 100 meters. He does run the 100. He runs the hurdles. Yes he is fantastic.. Best I have seen since Thurman Thomas in Houston. And yes, I coached for 38 yrs.

I will trust my sources 100% since they are currently recruiting him.

FrenchFry
2/11/2007, 09:15 PM
JJ and that other guy both said Sam was faster than they are.

jccouger
2/12/2007, 07:50 PM
He just got a offer from The Irish.

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/12/2007, 09:02 PM
Well, wish goodbye to the kid, we don't have the money to pay the kid what the Irish can :(

insuranceman_22
2/12/2007, 10:46 PM
Nice Gandolf, real nice.........& probably true. But we've got Stoops!

snp
2/14/2007, 03:55 AM
Well, wish goodbye to the kid, we don't have the money to pay the kid what the Irish can :(

:confused: What is the matter with some people? Between OU and ND, who has had more recent problems with this type of activity?

stoopified
2/14/2007, 01:00 PM
Sounds good so far.

Seamus
2/14/2007, 02:23 PM
Alas, boyo, 'tis a shame that such a beautiful icon such as Irish has been co-opted by that shyte-hole in South Bend. Makes Seamus weep to think of that marriage ... :(

Meisterman
3/6/2007, 01:08 AM
Just a quick update on McGuffie...he was mentioned in the Houston Chronicle today as a nominee for "Boys Player of the Week" for his track exploits:

Sam McGuffie, Cy-Fair — The junior was named boys athlete of the meet at the Heinstchel Relays at Crump Stadium on Saturday. McGuffie won the long jump (22-0), the high jump (6-4) and the 110-meter hurdles (14.67 seconds).

Fraggle145
3/12/2007, 02:26 AM
anyone have an update on this situation now that we have Calhoun?

MojoRisen
3/14/2007, 08:43 PM
Quick Question: Clearly Mcguffie is a super stud- offer on the spot for Junior Day at Oklahoma.

My question is this: With Murray, Madu and Broyles here for the next three years is he capable of beating them out??? I would assume if we get that big full back from Alabama with Johnson and Calhoun comming in and Brown here for the next couple of years we are fine in the Power situations and deep in the all purpose guys- Maybe if Broyles moved to DB

What about Mcguffie at Split End???

Collier11
3/15/2007, 12:00 AM
I have heard that madu might move to wr or db, broyles is a slot receiver, johnson will likely be a lb, so I think we can find room for him

MojoRisen
3/15/2007, 11:33 AM
Johnson had over 1100 yards on 76 carries- may want too see how he does this year before we make him a backer.

I agree though we should be able to make room- others may have too adjust positions- difficult too manage glad I don't have too.

bixby28
3/15/2007, 10:46 PM
Johnson had over 1100 yards on 76 carries- may want too see how he does this year before we make him a backer.

I agree though we should be able to make room- others may have too adjust positions- difficult too manage glad I don't have too.

He seems to belong in the backfield, but, again, the offense will be very deep at RB in '08.
Chris Brown-Jr.
Demarco Murray-Soph.
Mossis Madu-Soph.
Justin Johnson-Fr.
Jermie Calhoun-Fr.

I wouldn't be surprised if Madu ends up playing wide receiver or in the secondary because of depth at RB. He'll make an impact wherever he's at, though.

Desert Sapper
3/21/2007, 12:48 PM
I thought the stories about the small white highschool kid high-hurdling another highschool kid was an urban legend. The only time I've ever seen anybody do a high-hurdle like that in person was when Randy Moss did it against the Army safety when he was at Marshall. One of the two or three best college plays I've seen. Thanks for posting the video. That was awesome. I hope we get him and put him in a slot receiver position. He could be great out there.

BASSooner
3/21/2007, 08:26 PM
According to some whorn fans that live in cypress, they say that he is either going to head to michigan because of family connections, aTm because most of the cy-fair kids head there, or us and of course, going to us is the last place they want to see this kid because they know that he could put the whorns into shame with his unreal moves.

snp
3/21/2007, 10:07 PM
That's not according to just UT fans, that's the scuttlebutt of his recruiting so far.

BASSooner
3/21/2007, 10:37 PM
I'm just talking about from what I've heard.....

snp
3/21/2007, 10:55 PM
Which is fine, but that's what a lot of us Sooner fans feel as well. Lord knows we don't want to be lumped in with those guys.

BASSooner
3/21/2007, 10:55 PM
true

insuranceman_22
3/23/2007, 10:35 PM
Sam - over here....come on to Norman, Bob will find a spot for you to display that unreal talent you have....come on....

nolesooner1984
3/26/2007, 11:18 PM
The kid is unreal, I just feel like he will pick Michigan. I really hope he goes with us though, I can't even imagine what we could do with him on the field.

lcaldwell1
3/29/2007, 02:32 AM
that is kind of how i am..for some reason i just think that he is going to choose michigan...but ya never know so i hope he chooses us

magic33216
3/29/2007, 11:30 PM
He seems to belong in the backfield, but, again, the offense will be very deep at RB in '08.
Chris Brown-Jr.
Demarco Murray-Soph.
Mossis Madu-Soph.
Justin Johnson-Fr.
Jermie Calhoun-Fr.

I wouldn't be surprised if Madu ends up playing wide receiver or in the secondary because of depth at RB. He'll make an impact wherever he's at, though.

Yes definitely, I better see us play Murray, I was pumped about the kid all of last summer up till now. Patrick and he should she share carries, DeMarco looks sick. Some are concerned about the way he runs, he runs too much east and west, and better yet he doesn't seem to belong at the RB position at the next level.

birddog
3/30/2007, 12:24 AM
Yes definitely, I better see us play Murray, I was pumped about the kid all of last summer up till now. Patrick and he should she share carries, DeMarco looks sick. Some are concerned about the way he runs, he runs too much east and west, and better yet he doesn't seem to belong at the RB position at the next level.

http://newsok.com/article/3033062/

SteelClip49
4/10/2007, 03:12 PM
I haven't seen anything on this guy elsewhere but if it has been posted before then sorry.

This Houstonian makes Adrian Peterson look like a benchwarmer. This dude has some moves and would be a nice addition to the team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4IJ17ODo_s

Fraggle145
4/10/2007, 03:15 PM
I haven't seen anything on this guy elsewhere but if it has been posted before then sorry.

This Houstonian makes Adrian Peterson look like a benchwarmer. This dude has some moves and would be a nice addition to the team.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88721

SteelClip49
4/10/2007, 03:21 PM
THIS MESSAGE WILL SELF-DESTRUCT AS SOON AS THE HEAD HONCHOS SEE THIS.

THAT IS ALL

OU-HSV
4/13/2007, 04:20 PM

Holy crap...if any of you haven't seen this kid's video, go check it out. He is a stud. I hope we land him. And he likes to hurdle (sp?) I see.

soonerndn
4/17/2007, 09:59 AM
He doesn't even list Oklahoma on Scout.
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=2750610

birddog
4/18/2007, 10:56 PM
with all the bad ace rb's we have, i don't blame him one bit.

KingDavid
4/18/2007, 11:11 PM
with all the bad ace rb's we have, i don't blame him one bit.

no room in the inn.

starrca23
4/19/2007, 09:52 AM
Didn't Scout say something about him taking another visit to Norman? I don't pay for it so i just saw the title of the article.

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/19/2007, 12:08 PM
I think he will go to aTm

Rhino
4/19/2007, 12:14 PM
He doesn't even list Oklahoma on Scout.
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=2750610 You shouldn't really rely on Scout's database for...anything.

soonerdave79
4/19/2007, 12:47 PM
You shouldn't really rely on Scout's database for...anything.

Yeah, I noticed it took 'em weeks before they listed Habern as a commitment.
Usually, they're pretty quick listing new commits, but this time, they weren't for some reason. Anyways, what do you think about Rivals, Rhino?

Rhino
4/19/2007, 01:55 PM
Rivals is pretty up-to-date with everything, even if they jump the gun sometimes.

I like that they're offering more free content - videos and such - lately.

soonerdave79
4/19/2007, 02:37 PM
Amen to that! . . . And they use the spell check option, too!

melbitoast
4/19/2007, 06:48 PM
After reading the article on Scout yesterday, I'm 100% sure there's no way we get McGuffie unless he's putting up the best smoke screen in the history of recruiting. NO WHERE does he mention us as an interest.
Can't say I blame him with the talent we already have and the talent coming in. I just hope we don't play against the kid.

snp
4/19/2007, 10:10 PM
Reading is good.

JH: What is the latest on your thoughts on Oklahoma? Have you heard from Oklahoma much?

SM: “Yeah I have heard from Coach (James) Patton a lot. I am going to go back up there on an unofficial visit and check them out again. That place is beautiful and Norman is a good college town. OU is a fun place to be.”

It's still early, guys.

bprao5
4/20/2007, 05:59 PM
Check out this Link.......i think this will shed some light, however, it is very early and anything could still happen.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=187&p=2&c=636186

insuranceman_22
4/20/2007, 09:44 PM
We've got 10 months until signing day. McGuffie could wind up just about anywhere. I think he did visit Norman again, recently.....(not sure). But most of the power schools are going to offer him and our RB stable is extraordinarily well stocked. I'd love to get him, but personally I think it's going to be tough.....

Nice post bprao 5, thx.

snp
4/25/2007, 12:56 PM
Looks like we're out of his top-6 now.

sooner518
5/10/2007, 08:56 AM
"I'm waiting for LSU to offer too," said McGuffie, who credits himself with 4.4 forty speed. "They are really high on my list. Coach (Larry) Porter said he's coming to watch me play. I went up there to the spring game and I was shocked at how slow their running backs were.

Kind of a cocky thing for a high school junior to be saying.

starrca23
5/10/2007, 09:08 AM
I like that he is cocky. He obviously works hard to lift what he lifts. We probably won't get him though, no big deal...can't get 'em all.

Widescreen
5/10/2007, 12:37 PM
Kind of a cocky thing for a high school junior to be saying.
I recall a young high schooler named Peterson claiming he was faster than the entire Dallas Cowboys team (he might be able to make that claim now but when he was in high school he couldn't). Kids say stuff.

MojoRisen
5/10/2007, 12:44 PM
I would think it is his reaction to competition. Not everybody has to be humble as long as they can back it up on the field and show good sportsmanship as far as playing clean. just 2 cents

starrca23
5/10/2007, 01:44 PM
True, MJ talked mad trash in his day...but like Mojo said, it was cool cause he had the skills to pay the bills.

insuranceman_22
5/11/2007, 11:51 PM
Speaking of trash talk, I just thougt about T. Marshall - gotta pay some more respect for his trash talk on the biggest stage in college football. Dammit that was good! He and the entire defense backed it up!

starrca23
5/12/2007, 06:56 AM
Ya, wienkle did a tinkle when big T called him out at the coin toss.

snp
5/14/2007, 03:21 AM
Fellow Houston-area prospect, all-purpose back Sam McGuffie, has narrowed the list but to a much bigger number. McGuffie has a top 13.

"I just sat down and wrote out a list," McGuffie said. "The schools on there are California, Alabama, USC, Michigan, Notre Dame, Florida, Miami, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Florida State, Iowa State, Arizona, and North Carolina."

Meh.

Big Red Ron
5/14/2007, 09:19 AM
Meh.I'm with you. I think the guy will end up playing safety or CB in college, like what USC was going to do to Demarco Murray.

Meisterman
6/5/2007, 07:15 PM
McGuffie update from ground zero. Stoops and Pete "Hollywood" Carroll were spotted at Cy Fair High in May.

McGuffie finished up in track and cleared 6' 6" in the high jump, 23'+ in the long jump and had a sub 14.00 in the 110 hurdles. Ran relays also.

After track...finally able to attend a Nike Combine camp in Colorado...won
MVP award for running backs. Heads were further turned.

ESPN2 will televise the Cy Fair-Cy Falls "bitter" rivalry game this fall. The schools are one mile apart and it is like a sibling brawl. Plus the game is played in the best High School Football facility I have been too (Berry Center).

Is it football season yet?

illinisooner
6/5/2007, 09:26 PM
I'm with you. I think the guy will end up playing safety or CB in college, like what USC was going to do to Demarco Murray.

Kid sounds pretty cocky and self confident, I doubt he goes somewhere where he won't be RB or maybe WR, so he can prove everyone that a white RB can be successful. He might have to go to one of his lower tier favorites, like Iowa State, to do so though.

snp
6/5/2007, 10:44 PM
ESPN2 will televise the Cy Fair-Cy Falls "bitter" rivalry game this fall. The schools are one mile apart and it is like a sibling brawl. Plus the game is played in the best High School Football facility I have been too (Berry Center).

The Berry Center is nicer than half the Big 12.

boomersooner28
6/21/2007, 04:08 PM
Rivals has McGuffie as there #1 rated APB (all-purpose back) and we are nowhere on the radar. Have we decided not to go after Sam? If so, I think we are missing the boat. 4.32 forty and sick hips.

snp
6/21/2007, 04:37 PM
Go up like 10 posts, we didn't make his top-13.

No biggie, we're set at RB and really, there is still a lot of skeptics about him surviving there - like me. Really fast, but really easy to tackle and ran behind an awesome line.

Don't get me wrong, he's probably the best pure athlete in this years class but I'm not sure if that will translate as well at the next level.

colleyvillesooner
6/21/2007, 04:42 PM
Go up like 10 posts, we didn't make his top-13.
No biggie, we're set at RB and really, there is still a lot of skeptics about him surviving there - like me. Really fast, but really easy to tackle and ran behind an awesome line.

Don't get me wrong, he's probably the best pure athlete in this years class but I'm not sure if that will translate as well at the next level.

Fellow Houston-area prospect, all-purpose back Sam McGuffie, has narrowed the list but to a much bigger number. McGuffie has a top 13.

"I just sat down and wrote out a list," McGuffie said. "The schools on there are California, Alabama, USC, Michigan, Notre Dame, Florida, Miami, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Florida State, Iowa State, Arizona, and North Carolina."

And this from the guy who criticized other for not reading...in this very thread! ;)

TMcGee86
6/21/2007, 06:27 PM
McGuffie update from ground zero. Stoops and Pete "Hollywood" Carroll were spotted at Cy Fair High in May.

McGuffie finished up in track and cleared 6' 6" in the high jump, 23'+ in the long jump and had a sub 14.00 in the 110 hurdles. Ran relays also.

After track...finally able to attend a Nike Combine camp in Colorado...won
MVP award for running backs. Heads were further turned.

Is it football season yet?

Absolutely the most breath-taking stadium I have ever been to. It's unbelievable.

MojoRisen
6/22/2007, 09:44 AM
Does Sam have a myspace- the moe- I need to raz him... He needs to come to Oklahoma.

snp
6/22/2007, 01:50 PM
And this from the guy who criticized other for not reading...in this very thread! ;)

I'm a jackass so I'm allowed not to read what I post.

colleyvillesooner
6/22/2007, 02:01 PM
Works for me! :D

PLaw
6/24/2007, 02:04 PM
Rivals has his school choices as:

Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

Just sayin' ...

4.3??? Yeah right. Maybe with those Texas coastal gale force winds behind him. 4.3's are very rare and I doubt any high school kid's reported 40 time is legit.

BOOMER
PLaw

snp
6/24/2007, 03:06 PM
1. Why did you quote Seamus, since that post back in Feburaury wasn't even talking about his 40 time.

2. It wasn't self reported, it was electrically timed at a Nike camp (http://oklahoma.rivals.com/cpevent.asp?Key=19705)

3. There's a reason people like me turn off sigs. Stop signing your posts - I perfectly competent to look at the name of the user right next to the inane drivel.

See, colley? Told you I'm a jackass.

colleyvillesooner
6/25/2007, 12:06 AM
Yeah, big time. :D

Seamus
6/26/2007, 01:14 PM
Even if you're PLaw, that was funny as hell, Ninja :D

ou_football_fan
7/9/2007, 07:19 PM
Sam McGuffie seems to be a fantastic prospect...4.3 speed and all. However, we have plenty of elite running backs even after AP graduates at the end of 2007 season and don’t need more. With Chris Brown, Murray and Mossis Madu already in the roster and Justin Johnson being so committed to being a sooner, I would be surprised if Calhoun signs the LOI come signing day. It would be great if he does. We should save scholarships for other positions. We have six offensive lineman (including all 5 starters), six wide receivers (including Kelly, Manuel Johnson, Juaquin Iglesias and Queintin Chaney), and eight defensive backs (including Reggie Smith, Nic Harris, DJ Wolf, Lendy Holmes, Marcus Walker, and Darien Williams) graduating within the next two years. We should try to recruit those positions. Also, the quality of commits for 2008 and 2009 will depend on how OU does in the 2007 season. But nothing to worry, because we will win the national championship this year.

ou_football_fan
7/9/2007, 07:20 PM
Sam McGuffie seems to be a fantastic prospect...4.3 speed and all. However, we have plenty of elite running backs even after AP graduates at the end of 2007 season and don’t need more. With Chris Brown, Murray and Mossis Madu already in the roster and Justin Johnson being so committed to being a sooner, I would be surprised if Calhoun signs the LOI come signing day. It would be great if he does. We should save scholarships for other positions. We have six offensive lineman (including all 5 starters), six wide receivers (including Kelly, Manuel Johnson, Juaquin Iglesias and Queintin Chaney), and eight defensive backs (including Reggie Smith, Nic Harris, DJ Wolf, Lendy Holmes, Marcus Walker, and Darien Williams) graduating within the next two years. We should try to recruit those positions. Also, the quality of commits for 2008 and 2009 will depend on how OU does in the 2007 season. But nothing to worry, because we will win the national championship this year.

BASSooner
7/9/2007, 07:46 PM
What makes you think he won't? Texas doesn't want him and we are the best to offer. The RB position is no longer a 4 year job at OU and I'm sure Calhoun knew this since he did commit. Now a lot of you might say well that doesn't make sense because Murray will be starting later in the season. We won't know about that, however, we will see a LOT of rotation.

boomersooner28
7/9/2007, 10:02 PM
AND, we haven't mentioned injuries.

goingoneight
7/9/2007, 11:07 PM
I personally would like to start landing some jaw-dropping defenseive guys instead of converting RBs and WRs to keep missing assignments and tackles.

insuranceman_22
7/9/2007, 11:19 PM
I think Calhoun is a solid Sooner. As for Sam, he's probably heading North to Michigan. Oh well, you can't get them all.

goingoneight - I'm giving you a Amen! We need a few Hammers on the defensive side. Hammers that don't miss tackles and don't screw up their assignments. Looks like we've found a safety though, check out the video's on him, dude is a head-hunter.

goingoneight
7/9/2007, 11:33 PM
Good stuff. A lot of people complain about poor tackling a lot, and if you'll notice, its generally guys like DJW and Lendy until they get settled in a game. They're come from offense, and they hit like they're run blocking. Not the same thing by a longshot. And you can tell by the look on their faces when they get burnt that way... they've learned and they're embarassed. Unfortunately it only takes a single bad tackle sometimes to put you in a hole. Like Washingtons wannabe running back gashing Keenan Clayton for 32 yards and a score on their first play IN NORMAN last year.

BASSooner
7/9/2007, 11:53 PM
i'm not trying to bash BJW or anything, I do like the guy but I personally think that he needs several coaching and game play philosophies from Stoops.

snp
7/10/2007, 01:26 AM
There's a funny rumor right now that the ND guys started that McGuffie is asking Charlie Weis if there's any room left. Reason being that the Michigan Scout guy (Beaver) is pretty well known for dirty recruiting players that Michigan and ND compete for. Pretty unprofessional for Beaver and he gets what is coming to him.

Looks like McGuffie is announcing July 22nd. A couple days after the TAMU camp. If he goes to the camp, A&M, otherwise I'm guessing Michigan and we can stop talking about this kid.

ou_football_fan
7/10/2007, 08:41 AM
What makes you think he won't? Texas doesn't want him and we are the best to offer. The RB position is no longer a 4 year job at OU and I'm sure Calhoun knew this since he did commit. Now a lot of you might say well that doesn't make sense because Murray will be starting later in the season. We won't know about that, however, we will see a LOT of rotation.

You are right BASSooner, other schools competing with OU for Calhoun are nearly not as good. Calhoun might and should sign with us. However, my point was that with Calhoun in the roster, we will have 5 solid backs and dont need Sam McGuffie, especially since we will have big holes to fill on defense in the near future.

snp
7/10/2007, 09:03 AM
Florida, LSU, Alabama, and FSU aren't too shabby.

PAW
7/11/2007, 01:34 AM
Florida, LSU, Alabama, and FSU aren't too shabby.

Yea, but there's only one . . . ;)

trwxxa
7/27/2007, 04:07 PM
According to today's Houston Chronicle, McGuffie will make his announcement Sunday evening on a local news station.

The Chron lists his top 5 as aTm, Michigan, USC, Florida and the Domers

snp
7/29/2007, 11:27 PM
As expected, he chose Michigan.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2214/almostuw0.gif (http://imageshack.us)

insuranceman_22
8/2/2007, 12:04 AM
Nice post Ninja, I haven't seen that one before, still laughing my *** off!

TMcGee86
8/6/2007, 04:06 PM
I cant understand why Texas didn't try to land him.

I live in Cypress and have heard some rumors but I dont want to spread anything so I wont elaborate, but did anyone hear as to why UT didn't seem interested?

Are they that loaded at RB? Or was there interest and I just didn't see it?

snp
8/6/2007, 05:27 PM
Yea, they're pretty loaded right now. They have Tre Newton (3*) and Tony Hills (4*) in this class that are pure RBs. They also signed Desean Hales (4*) who could play RB at the next level although it's doubtful.

The year before they signed Foswhitt Whitaker (4*) and a great athlete who is currently on the QB depth chart, John Chiles (5*).

I also have a conspiracy theory that Mack hates to go after instate kids who are bound to go out of state. He acquired a couple good instate RBs this year early on and was done with it. The other two RBs committed back in February and McGuffie waited 6 months after that. Mack loves to use the deadline policy and won't offer a kid until he arrives on campus. I don't think McGuffie ever made it to Austin.

I'm curious to the rumors you're hearing since I wasn't aware of any animosity between McGuffie and Texas.

Jello Biafra
8/14/2007, 11:05 PM
The year before they signed Foswhitt Whitaker (4*)

who knew whittaker was an actor as well as a 4 star recruit football player??? *raises hand*

Seamus
8/15/2007, 01:11 AM
He was a 5-star linebacker at Ridgemont High:

http://blogs.tampabay.com/photos/uncategorized/fast.jpg

Supposedly, he had some really fast times in the 40.

soonerboomer93
8/15/2007, 02:15 AM
Ridgemont has a couple stellar kids in the 4:20 range

TMcGee86
9/13/2007, 12:32 PM
McGuffie suffered a high ankle sprain in his first game and is out for probably a few weeks more.

However, the talk on the radio here in Houston is that now Mack is hitting him hard and that his commit was soft to Michigan to begin with and it most definitely soft now that Michigan stands to lose their HC and OC, who he was close to.

I think he ends up at Texas.

sooner518
9/13/2007, 02:07 PM
well geez, I cant blame anyone for not wanting to go to Michigan now