PDA

View Full Version : 08 class is looking huge!! New Commit!

Collier11
2/3/2007, 02:04 PM
We already have washington and frankling which are both potential 5 star players. Now Rivals is saying that Justin Johnson, running back out of Gilmer Texas has committed. He is also a potential 5 star!

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/3/2007, 02:11 PM
For those of you who don't know Justin Johnson was being compared to AD the last time I heard.

I think the websites were referring to his size rather than skill, but this is a huge pickup if its true

BASSooner
2/3/2007, 02:16 PM
hornfans going to meltdown mode in 3....2.....1.....

BASSooner
2/3/2007, 02:19 PM
oh and some ppl in horfans have said as well that Johnson is trying to summon the entire top 20 prospects from the state of texas to come here as well.

jccouger
2/3/2007, 02:24 PM
THIS IS HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE.

We are talking about the potential #1 prospect in the entire nation. And him commiting early means that he is going to be able to pull in other great prospects. This is awesome!!!!

Collier11
2/3/2007, 02:31 PM
ALthough its nothing but speculation, the "experts" are saying this could be OU's best class ever!!!

Collier11
2/3/2007, 02:32 PM
Even with all the out of state prospects, apparently from the Oklahoma top 10, 8 are OU leans

jccouger
2/3/2007, 02:36 PM
Who are the oklahoma top 10?

Can anybody post the JJ story from rivals about his commitment?

BASSooner
2/3/2007, 02:38 PM
even though we have justin johnson, we need to get sam mcguffie. that kid is beyond ridiculous. watch some film of him on youtube and you will know what i mean. He's at OU right now taking a visit. I just talked to some people that went to his high school and that as of right now he is choosing between OU and aTm

Collier11
2/3/2007, 02:47 PM
Oklahoma Top 10 includes
Stacey Mcgee-de-muskogee Big OU lean
jameel owens-wr-muskogee Big OU lean
kye staley-ath-guthrie
nathan stanley-qb-seq talequah
john flanders-db-mwc
hazekiah robinson-db-mwc
Harrison Jeffers-rb-Lawton
John William-ol-Booker T Big OU Lean

If someone can add the last two, I cant remember right now

Collier11
2/3/2007, 02:49 PM
Can anybody post the JJ story from rivals about his commitment?

I dont have Rivals, but here is the intro story:

It may have been one of the class of 2008’s worst kept secrets but that doesn’t lessen the importance of the decision of Gilmer, Texas running back Justin Johnson. In fact the only thing more noteworthy than his long anticipated decision is the way in which he went about handling it. The 6-foot-1, 210-pound running back who is a potential five-star prospect and among Texas' top 10 prospects, wanted to make a splash with his commitment and had to find an interesting way of handling it. It seems he has done so.

After that they have him listed as a OU commit, thats all I can give ya

Frozen Sooner
2/3/2007, 02:53 PM
Yep, Bus1 has been an OU guy for a LOOONG time. I think the major thing he was waiting on to announce was Lennon Creer-if we had landed Creer I think Bus1 would have thought a little more about his decision (not that his decision isn't well thought out, just that he'd have more to think about.)

I believe he's cousins with Manuel Johnson.

snp
2/3/2007, 03:07 PM
You'll love the rest of the story:

It may have been one of the class of 2008's worst kept secrets but that doesn't lessen the importance of the decision of Gilmer, Texas running back Justin Johnson. In fact the only thing more noteworthy than his long anticipated decision is the way in which he went about handling it.

Johnson made it clear last summer that OU was a heavy favorite. This morning upon arriving to Norman for Oklahoma's junior day Johnson did exactly what
he had planned to all along, hand a signed statement of his commitment to Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops.

The letter read:

"Coach Stoops,

Thank you for the opportunity of a lifetime and chance to fulfill my dream. To you, your staff, my future teammates, and the Sooner nation…

I hereby commit myself to this creed and the 2008 Sooner football recruiting class.

Boomer Sooner!!!

Justin Johnson (Bus1)"

Johnson had previously informed SoonerScoop.com of his intentions, and talked at the time about his decision to attend Oklahoma.

"It's just everything really, the coaches, a great atmosphere, great teammates and the academic program," Johnson said at the time.

In the letter that Johnson offered Stoops, he's left room for many more signatures, including spaces for previous commitments Daniel Franklin and R.J. Washington. So what was it that got it into the 6-foot-1, 210-pound Johnson's mind to handle things as he did?

"I didn't want the thing to be about me. I wanted it to be about we, and the team," he explained. "I didn't want everything to revolve around me. I want it to be about the lineman and the guys I might want to commit."

Look for much, much more from Johnson at the conclusion of Oklahoma's junior day.

Bus1 has been committed to OU for some time now, this will just make it known. Look for him at LB possibly and to be doing some major recruiting for OU as well.

Collier11
2/3/2007, 03:13 PM
I love the kids creativity and unselfishness. I like for kids like that to be ambassadors for OU

boomersooner28
2/3/2007, 03:19 PM
HOLY ****! I already love this kid!

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/3/2007, 03:29 PM
08 is going to be good indeed

Rhino
2/3/2007, 03:32 PM
There's a possibility for two to three more commitments today.

Frozen Sooner
2/3/2007, 03:48 PM
This kid is now my favorite commitment of all time.

snp
2/3/2007, 03:53 PM
What other players are the birds chirping about?

Collier11
2/3/2007, 04:15 PM
As far as possible commitments today? Jameel Owens, John Williams are names ive heard

BASSooner
2/3/2007, 04:39 PM
whats the latest on RJ Washington? Because, I think UT is trying really hard to lure him away and commit to the whorns.

Frozen Sooner
2/3/2007, 05:14 PM
Last I heard he was pretty solid and flashes horns down at people all the time.

Eielson
2/3/2007, 06:08 PM
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/DANIELFRANKLIN12_8150.JPG

Thats our LB. :eek:

The Consumate Showman
2/3/2007, 06:13 PM
Look for Harrison Jeffers to possibly commit. Hezekiah Robinson and John Flanders too if they get the offers this weekend. Ben Habern is antoher strong possibility. Jameel Ownes, IMO, we'll have to wait until the first of the season. I am also looking for Arthur Brown out of Kansas to come to OU's camp this summer. If he makes it, and commits, the LB class at OU for '08 would be the best EVER. Franklin, JJ, and Brown would be ruled illegal in 49 states.

Collier11
2/3/2007, 06:23 PM
You dont see JJ as a RB, he almost seems too good to switch positions

BASSooner
2/3/2007, 07:17 PM
If Stoops does switch JJ to LB, I think Sam McGuffie commits here( sorry I keep mentioning him, I'm a big fan)

Frozen Sooner
2/3/2007, 07:28 PM
Here's the full text of Bus1's letter:

I am an Oklahoma Sooner. And I hereby accept all of the responsibilities that come with the privilege of that title. I will do everything within my power to uphold the honor and tradition of Oklahoma Football, and to earn respect and admiration for my team and for my University. I will keep myself in peak mental, physical and emotional condition at all times, so that I will be ready to give my best when my team needs me. On and off the field, I will compete with the ferocity and pride that the crimson and cream I wear demands. I will study, practice and play in fairness and with sportsmanship, and do all within my power to bring honor to the University of Oklahoma.

Coach Stoops,

Thank you for the opportunity of a lifetime, and for giving me the chance to fulfill my dream. To you, to your staff, to my future teammates, and to the Sooner Nation…

I hereby commit myself to this Creed of Champions, and to OU’s Football Class of 2008.

BOOMER SOONER!

Justin “Bus1” Johnson

Common sense ref
2/3/2007, 07:29 PM
:)
Look for Harrison Jeffers to possibly commit. Hezekiah Robinson and John Flanders too if they get the offers this weekend. Ben Habern is antoher strong possibility. Jameel Ownes, IMO, we'll have to wait until the first of the season. I am also looking for Arthur Brown out of Kansas to come to OU's camp this summer. If he makes it, and commits, the LB class at OU for '08 would be the best EVER. Franklin, JJ, and Brown would be ruled illegal in 49 states.

What is Ben Habern being recruited as? I know him but have not talked to him about it.I watch him play B-ball and he looks like a football player playing Basketball. Very nice kid. Bob was at the school last week looking around and talking to other coaches and his mother.

birddog
2/3/2007, 09:06 PM
nice work, all of you.

birddog
2/3/2007, 09:13 PM
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/DANIELFRANKLIN12_8150.JPG

Thats our LB. :eek:

so, who is this?

Cam
2/3/2007, 09:14 PM
What effect, if any, will this have on this years class?

Any chance some guys who are on the fence know and want to play with these guys and jump over?

insuranceman_22
2/4/2007, 01:38 AM
I can't help but laugh a little at this, we haven't signed the 07 class yet! That the only thing I can tell myself to keep from getting to excited! 08 definately has the potencial to be huge! I think Bob & Barry had a talk after the boise fiasco.....Barry may have shared a little info. about dragging saxet dry....

OU-HSV
2/4/2007, 09:48 AM
'08 looks to be a great class.
Has anyone seen video of this JJ guy?

Harry Beanbag
2/4/2007, 11:14 AM
so, who is this?

Franklin

birddog
2/4/2007, 11:45 AM
Franklin

http://www.chicagosports.rivals.com/video.asp?pkey=55674&section=fbrecruit&vidtype=prospect&vidid=87119

sorry if that link doesn't work. i already viewed the clip. anywho, this guy is pretty quick and has what looks to be great instincts.

Common sense ref
2/4/2007, 01:16 PM
http://www.chicagosports.rivals.com/video.asp?pkey=55674&section=fbrecruit&vidtype=prospect&vidid=87119

sorry if that link doesn't work. i already viewed the clip. anywho, this guy is pretty quick and has what looks to be great instincts.

I worked that game, I was the LJ. Celina always has one or two players who go on to D1.

Rook65
2/4/2007, 02:56 PM
JJ said Stoops showed up in an old Cadillac when he came to see him and was "leaning back and riding low".

Widescreen
2/4/2007, 03:08 PM
It's really hard for me to get excited about high school juniors who are a year away from signing. For Pete's sake, we're wondering who's going to sign with us 3 days for now.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/4/2007, 03:28 PM
It's really hard for me to get excited about high school juniors who are a year away from signing. For Pete's sake, we're wondering who's going to sign with us 3 days for now.I am inclined to halfway trust the OK in-state kids on an early committment, but not the out-of-staters.(no real state or team loyalty from those guys, and LOTS of pressure from the local folks).

utex74
2/4/2007, 10:41 PM
hornfans going to meltdown mode in 3....2.....1.....

We're pretty sure when we have our Junior days that those who get an offer from Texas will see the light. They haven't seen Texas and Austin, yet. No big deal.

It is telling that both you and aggie are trying to get the jump on the Longhorn Junior days before the current class is even signed. Heard aggie is even offering a sophomore. Here is a hint...never take aggie's lead.

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/4/2007, 10:44 PM
We're pretty sure when we have our Junior days that those who get an offer from Texas will see the light. They haven't seen Texas and Austin, yet. No big deal.

It is telling that both you and aggie are trying to get the jump on the Longhorn Junior days before the current class is even signed. Heard aggie is even offering a sophomore. Here is a hint...never take aggie's lead.

Here is a hint...UT sucks

;)

BASSooner
2/4/2007, 11:13 PM
utex,

some of your fans on hornfans.com are saying that we, OU might have the best recruiting class in the country possibly. They've accepted the fact that JJ committed to us, hell he even wrote a letter to Stoops on how well he is committed and how he will help recruit others here. Will he show up in Austin and commit on the spot for the whorns? Will he? Please tell me, I'm eager to know :rolleyes:

utex74
2/4/2007, 11:47 PM
utex,

some of your fans on hornfans.com are saying that we, OU might have the best recruiting class in the country possibly. They've accepted the fact that JJ committed to us, hell he even wrote a letter to Stoops on how well he is committed and how he will help recruit others here. Will he show up in Austin and commit on the spot for the whorns? Will he? Please tell me, I'm eager to know :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong. OU and Texas will always get their players, even in relatively down years. (unlike the aggies who are in a free fall) You will keep who you keep and we will get who we get, but I can't get too worked up over kids with a year and a half of high school left saying they are going to either of us. (although Austin is a hell of a draw) They don't know who they are taking to the junior prom, yet. The only thing for certain is yours and ours will get together in October and settle all of this between themselves. For the next year. As it should be. All of this recruiting competition is mainly for boosters because you never know what a kid will do after he gets on campus, with a few exceptions.

snp
2/5/2007, 04:57 PM

No, you're not getting either of our Texas commits.

We're not taking Aggie's lead, we're taking Mack's lead. Guess that's pretty bad company too.

Collier11
2/5/2007, 06:24 PM
Sooners gain an in-state commit recently from Londell Taylor out of Vian. he is a wideout and a big one. 6'2'', 215

OU_Sooners75
2/5/2007, 08:31 PM

You know the difference between playing at Texass and playing at OU?

OU knows how to win conference and national championships more than once every 30 years.

Cam
2/5/2007, 08:33 PM
Don't get me wrong. OU and Texas will always get their players, even in relatively down years. (unlike the aggies who are in a free fall) You will keep who you keep and we will get who we get, but I can't get too worked up over kids with a year and a half of high school left saying they are going to either of us. (although Austin is a hell of a draw) They don't know who they are taking to the junior prom, yet. The only thing for certain is yours and ours will get together in October and settle all of this between themselves. For the next year. As it should be. All of this recruiting competition is mainly for boosters because you never know what a kid will do after he gets on campus, with a few exceptions.
Austin's not for everybody dude, and neither's Norman. Why this is such a hard concept to understand, I'll never know.

birddog
2/5/2007, 09:03 PM
Austin's not for everybody dude, and neither's Norman. Why this is such a hard concept to understand, I'll never know.

i agree. there are lots of nice football places. some players want to go play for a big-time program that competes for nc's, and eventually, have the chance to play in the nfl.

if athletes only went to "nice cities", osu couldn't field a team in any sport. nor could ksu, ku, mizzou, isu, baylor, tech, a@m, or nebraska.

snp
2/5/2007, 10:20 PM
I've never heard a bad thing about Lawrence or Lincoln. I've heard Lawrence is an awesome time from all my KU friends.

Collier11
2/6/2007, 12:01 AM
Ive got some info...this is just heresay and I have no links but I am hearing that Travis lewis that spurned us for Nebbish has decomiitted(he was close to blake) and likely is headed to OU. Also, word is that Alexander has made a decision and many of the "insiders" believe OU is his choice. I could be wrong on both and like I said it is just heresay but lets hope...that would be a nice end to our class

soonerthanu
2/6/2007, 12:49 AM
Im hearing the same things. So it is probably heresay :)

birddog
2/6/2007, 01:10 AM
I've never heard a bad thing about Lawrence or Lincoln. I've heard Lawrence is an awesome time from all my KU friends.

and i've had fun in norman, because of the campus. he was talking about austin the city, not the campus.

i mean, come on, it's pretty hard to have a bad time at any big university campus.

snp
2/6/2007, 01:29 AM
Ive got some info...this is just heresay and I have no links but I am hearing that Travis lewis that spurned us for Nebbish has decomiitted(he was close to blake) and likely is headed to OU. Also, word is that Alexander has made a decision and many of the "insiders" believe OU is his choice. I could be wrong on both and like I said it is just heresay but lets hope...that would be a nice end to our class

"Yes, I believe he has," Lewis’ older sister told HuskersIllustrated.com. "He will be signing with Oklahoma, but you want him to call you?"

Alexander will be inking with OU in the morning.

Collier11
2/6/2007, 01:34 AM
looks good, lets hope something goes right for us finally

Collier11
2/6/2007, 01:45 AM
Currently on Rivals Lewis is listed as high interest in OU and nothing more than Low in any other school

47straight
2/6/2007, 02:18 PM

I thought that the only thing that Longhorns got more excited than a given year's recruiting class was the FOLLOWING year's recruiting class?

OU-chaps0825
2/15/2007, 09:23 AM
I am reading that LB Daniel Franklin may have taken some recent visits to other schools to include Florida. Does anyone know the scoop on this issue and the chances we may lose him next year.

jccouger
2/15/2007, 09:44 AM
Currently on Rivals Lewis is listed as high interest in OU and nothing more than Low in any other school

Lewis who?

OU-chaps0825
2/15/2007, 10:12 AM
He was talking about Travis Lewis who signed with the Sooners on signing day. Any news on Franklin exploring other options?

sitzpinkler
2/15/2007, 11:36 AM
I am reading that LB Daniel Franklin may have taken some recent visits to other schools to include Florida. Does anyone know the scoop on this issue and the chances we may lose him next year.

Go here: http://www.chicagosports.rivals.com/video.asp and do a search for Daniel Franklin. Watch the video at the bottom.

I don't think we need to worry about this kid decommitting.

Collier11
2/15/2007, 11:52 AM
He was talking about Travis Lewis who signed with the Sooners on signing day. Any news on Franklin exploring other options?

He is still VERY SOLID from all ive heard

soonerdave79
2/15/2007, 12:01 PM
Go here: http://www.chicagosports.rivals.com/video.asp and do a search for Daniel Franklin. Watch the video at the bottom.

I don't think we need to worry about this kid decommitting.

That's a great site! Thanks. I also searched sam mcguffie, and according to rivals, we've offered him a scholly. I didnt' know that. Anyways, it's a good video. Check it out!:)

snp
2/15/2007, 03:55 PM
Could've just checked the Sam McGuffie thread to find out OU offered him ;)

Harry Beanbag
2/15/2007, 04:50 PM
That's a great site! Thanks. I also searched sam mcguffie, and according to rivals, we've offered him a scholly. I didnt' know that. Anyways, it's a good video. Check it out!:)

Bob told McGuffie that he was the fastest player he's ever recruited.

Collier11
2/15/2007, 06:05 PM
Bob told McGuffie that he was the fastest player he's ever recruited.

THATS WHAT SHE SAID!!! Sorry, gettin pumped for The Office later!

Seamus
2/15/2007, 06:33 PM
And all the coaches says he's pretty fast for a white guy ...

Sorry, somehow I actually don't hate Offspring :O

Sooner74
2/16/2007, 12:27 AM
I like I like.

OU-chaps0825
2/16/2007, 10:07 AM
It appears that J. Owens is going to visit OSU next. I am a little concerned that he failed to sign with the Sooners during "junior day".

While, I think that we will be okay with featuring a number one wideout until M. Kelly leaves in either 1 or 2 years and Tennell in either 2 or 3 years, I strongly believe that we need Owens. He has the perfect combination of size and speed that will enable us to continue producing a big and fast wideout.

Does anyone have information regarding his interest in signing with OU?

Rhino
2/16/2007, 11:47 AM
Does anyone have information regarding his interest in signing with OU? Strong OU lean.

Common sense ref
2/16/2007, 01:31 PM
Strong OU lean.

Habern is coming to O.U. ;) He said OU told him not to commit publicly because it might hurt the rest of the recruiting. Anyone ever heard of such?

soonerdave79
2/16/2007, 01:48 PM
What's your source, amigo?

insuranceman_22
2/16/2007, 09:38 PM
If Habern wasn't told to commit publicly, how'd you find out????? That's odd.

jccouger
2/16/2007, 11:41 PM
Who is habern?

insuranceman_22
2/16/2007, 11:59 PM
Habern - http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=2991593

The Consumate Showman
2/17/2007, 01:56 AM
fab 5. soon.

Frozen Sooner
2/17/2007, 03:56 AM
Habern (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=52341451)

I have a feeling he's a lean. :)

soonerdave79
2/17/2007, 11:23 AM
Habern (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=52341451)

I have a feeling he's a lean. :)

I'm loving it.

okienole3
2/17/2007, 11:32 AM
hey man what do you say call stoops tell him you want to be a sooner. the best center in the nation and the best tackle. lets go get a national championship

From Good.

stoopified
2/17/2007, 12:16 PM
Here's the full text of Bus1's letter:All I can say is WOW.

Common sense ref
2/17/2007, 12:24 PM

I talked with his mother! She also said, " They ( O.U.) said for him to take other visits. I'm not a smart A** guy or anything, I'm just telling you what she said. But the main thing she said was he WILL be going to O.U.;)

Common sense ref
2/17/2007, 12:26 PM

BTW,I went to school in Durant. Class of 1986, you?

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/17/2007, 02:03 PM
BTW,I went to school in Durant. Class of 1986, you?

Class of 01 here

insuranceman_22
2/17/2007, 06:09 PM
Well common sense, it appears your source may be good! Didn't go to Durant (Hugo, class of 88 & don't hold that against me!), just SOSU. Either way, hope he becomes a Sooner.

The Consumate Showman
2/17/2007, 06:19 PM
I talked with his mother! She also said, " They ( O.U.) said for him to take other visits. I'm not a smart A** guy or anything, I'm just telling you what she said. But the main thing she said was he WILL be going to O.U.;)

He'll be at Mack's 2nd junior day...this weekend I believe. Maybe Bob wants him to put in some good words w/others.

fab 5. soon.

Collier11
2/17/2007, 08:11 PM
Dont you guys think that the fact that we have gotten so many GREAT early commits for next year shows that Stoops either Knows or is basically certain that nothing more will happen with the ncaa??? I dont see any way where these kids would be committing so early if there was a chance we were gonna get in any more trouble

The Consumate Showman
2/17/2007, 08:36 PM
Dont you guys think that the fact that we have gotten so many GREAT early commits for next year shows that Stoops either Knows or is basically certain that nothing more will happen with the ncaa??? I dont see any way where these kids would be committing so early if there was a chance we were gonna get in any more trouble

all formalities now. nothing to worry over.

UT fans grasping at straws over "recruiting" envy...our '08 class should be much better than their '07 class

this might be the class that gets us #8 & #9.

oh, and the early commits aren't over yet.

fab 5. soon...

okienole3
2/18/2007, 02:30 AM

UT fans grasping at straws over "recruiting" envy...our '08 class should be much better than their '07 class

fab 5. soon...

Fab 5 as opposed to Fab 4, or are 5 more committing?

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/18/2007, 11:43 AM
I think he means one more than four (Fab 5)

BUT there will be more to commit after these guys come in

The Consumate Showman
2/18/2007, 03:14 PM
Fab 5 as opposed to Fab 4, or are 5 more committing?

Sorry. Refrencing Good, JJ, JB, Sam M., and Habern. Last three should be within a month or so...roughly.

lcaldwell1
2/18/2007, 03:19 PM
has anyone seen the videos on Franklin..i just watched a couple of them and he doesnt seem that impressive..every play looks like he just runs to the guy with the ball and drags him down..i mean he never hits anybody hard...does anyone know much about this kid

lcaldwell1
2/18/2007, 03:20 PM
he just looks rather soft on the highlights

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/18/2007, 03:28 PM
I think its more for potential than anything.

He's big, fast and has a nose for the ball.

Harry Beanbag
2/18/2007, 03:40 PM
They can't all look like Arthur Brown.

lcaldwell1
2/18/2007, 06:17 PM
yea I see what your sayin..and I agree Arthur Brown is a stud..i really hope we get him

birddog
2/18/2007, 08:18 PM
yea I see what your sayin..and I agree Arthur Brown is a stud..i really hope we get him

good lawd, that kid is a monster.

http://hovpen.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=54115&sport=1

melbitoast
2/19/2007, 01:02 PM
Stoops/Venables should tell him, "You want to win a championship? You want to win a Butkus and a Bednarik award? You want to assure yourself as a 1st round draft pick? Sign with Oklahoma."

Widescreen
2/19/2007, 02:30 PM
Stoops/Venables should tell him, "You want to win a championship? You want to win a Butkus and a Bednarik award? You want to assure yourself as a 1st round draft pick? Sign with Oklahoma."
I know I wouldn't be a very good recruiter because I couldn't say some of those things to a kid. The kid that has no work ethic will never be a 1st round draft pick. And you don't always know about their work ethic until they've been in school for awhile.

utex74
2/22/2007, 10:32 PM

fab 5. soon...

I don't think anything will happen with the NCAA, either. And you guys got off to a really good start but you also started ahead of our first junior day. You'll get some, we'll get some and we'll see where they all stack up over the next 4 or 5 years. (A&M will take what's left.) Oh, our '07 class is a concensus #4 so it will take a lot for either of us to top it.

The Consumate Showman
2/24/2007, 12:15 AM
I don't think anything will happen with the NCAA, either. And you guys got off to a really good start but you also started ahead of our first junior day. You'll get some, we'll get some and we'll see where they all stack up over the next 4 or 5 years. (A&M will take what's left.) Oh, our '07 class is a concensus #4 so it will take a lot for either of us to top it.

Yes, B U T...we already have 3 top 100 kids committed and looks like a 4th will commit soon in Calhoun and if we get JB and Brown and Owens...see where I'm going? OU could feasibly have 5-7 five star kids in the '08 class...and maybe MORE...as opposed to UT's 2 this year. BUT, I'm sure the Texas recruiting "experts" will help Mack ensure that Snow and Buckner and a few others will stay at that 5 star level. :rolleyes:

snp
2/24/2007, 12:30 AM
I'm not sure if Owens will be a 5-star. Next year is a pretty deep WR class and he's only being recruited regionally right now.

Good, Washington, Brown, and Calhoun are locks for 5-star status though.

And you guys got off to a really good start but you also started ahead of our first junior day. You'll get some, we'll get some and we'll see where they all stack up over the next 4 or 5 years. (A&M will take what's left.) Oh, our '07 class is a concensus #4 so it will take a lot for either of us to top it.

Whoever had their first Junior day is moot since they were a week apart. But this is the possibly the best start ever for us, which is saying a lot.

insuranceman_22
2/24/2007, 01:14 AM
I just hope the defection rate is nil between now and next Feb.......

The Consumate Showman
2/25/2007, 04:43 PM
I'm not sure if Owens will be a 5-star. Next year is a pretty deep WR class and he's only being recruited regionally right now.

Not so. His "offers" are regional; not his recruitment.

USC is looking at him. They have not offered, but if they come looking at you and eventually offer, you can bet he'll be a "5-er".

You can bet Fullmer will probably be lurking again to try and pull another Meachem.

Plus, Jameel will be the number 1 player in the state barring injury, so I'd say his chances are 93% positive for a 5 star.

I know Austin didn't get that 5 star, but I think he was more of a victim as to where he translated to D-1 and where he was playing in HS.

Eielson
3/10/2007, 11:32 PM
Right now we have 4 top 100 players.

Last year we had one.

And I doubt we're done.:eek: :)

insuranceman_22
3/11/2007, 12:59 AM
Calhoun is going to be a Sooner! The trend for an awesome class does indeed continue! Let's go Bob!

PAW
3/11/2007, 02:41 PM
hoping to hear something from Landry Jones this weekend

bixby28
3/11/2007, 02:50 PM
Landry Jones looks like a very good QB. His junior season stats are friggin' incredible.

I'm not sure if OU has offered him yet, but this would be a great QB to sign.

PAW
3/11/2007, 03:10 PM
I heard they were going to offer Jones on his visit this weekend. Would be another great early verbal. The early momentum in this class is awesome.

Here's a highlight video from his JR season, Landry Jones (http://www.artesiabulldogfootball.com/LandryJones.wmv).

According to some peeps in Artesia, Jones has an offer from OU as of this weekend.

Rhino
3/11/2007, 05:02 PM
Landry did get an offer yesterday.

It'll be a couple months before he makes a decision though.

PAW
3/11/2007, 08:07 PM
And another, Britt Mitchell (http://rival.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=60865).

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/11/2007, 08:11 PM
He doesn't look 300 pounds to me

PAW
3/11/2007, 08:23 PM
Heck, he doesn't look old enough to drive.

bixby28
3/11/2007, 08:47 PM
He's listed as an aTm commit. Did OU swipe him ?

PAW
3/11/2007, 10:06 PM
He decommited from aTm some time ago. Rivals has him as a "solid" verbal, for what that's worth at this time.

Frozen Sooner
3/11/2007, 10:41 PM
Heh.

Britt Michael.

Talk dirty to me.

Seamus
3/12/2007, 02:10 AM
You made a Poison reference.

I counter with a nice heavy fumigation of Iron Maiden:

You take my life but I'll take yours too
You fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back

Ahh, there, much better. It's OK, everyone, it's safe to post again.

:cool:

IronHorseSooner
3/12/2007, 08:07 AM
6'8" 300! With Loadholt, is Coach Patton trying to get big men for the basketball team, too? That just might be an ingenious recruiting strategy:D Kill two birds with one stone....This class is going to be awesome! However, if history serves as an indicator, some recruiting services will start to devalue our commits, even if they have all-world numbers, just so the likes of UTerus and SUC will have better classes:rolleyes:

Widescreen
3/12/2007, 10:14 AM
I heard they were going to offer Jones on his visit this weekend. Would be another great early verbal. The early momentum in this class is awesome.

Here's a highlight video from his JR season, Landry Jones (http://www.artesiabulldogfootball.com/LandryJones.wmv).

According to some peeps in Artesia, Jones has an offer from OU as of this weekend.
Thanks for posting the video. Some things I noticed.

1. His throwing motion is almost exactly like JW's.
2. Great presence in the pocket. Under duress, he keeps looking downfield and doesn't tuck the ball at the first sign of trouble.
3. Doesn't have Bomar's wheels but he is shifty. Hopefully he also doesn't have Bomar's ethics.
4. Good touch on the ball.
5. Hard to tell what his arm strength is like.

Fraggle145
3/12/2007, 11:29 AM
His wheels reminded me a little of JWs wheels before they got busted...

Seamus
3/12/2007, 12:17 PM
Don't think he was quick as JW, pre-wheel breakings, but he looked pretty elusive for a 6-5 kid. That one visiting team in the white and blue didn't appear to be familiar with the concept of tackling. Landry definitely has a field vision, though, especially when things start breaking down.

sitzpinkler
3/12/2007, 05:01 PM
Who is the guy up front in this picture:

https://secure.scout.com/media/promo/mag/oklahoma.jpg

assuming that picture actually worked

Harry Beanbag
3/12/2007, 05:01 PM
I think that's Mike Reed.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/12/2007, 05:29 PM
Who is the guy up front in this picture:

https://secure.scout.com/media/promo/mag/oklahoma.jpg

assuming that picture actually worked

Mike Reed up front as previously posted with Phil Loadholt in the back

MojoRisen
3/13/2007, 08:42 AM
6'8" 300! With Loadholt, is Coach Patton trying to get big men for the basketball team, too? That just might be an ingenious recruiting strategy:D Kill two birds with one stone....This class is going to be awesome! However, if history serves as an indicator, some recruiting services will start to devalue our commits, even if they have all-world numbers, just so the likes of UTerus and SUC will have better classes:rolleyes:

We will let them decommit- verbal to texas and re-commit for higher ratings! I just hope these guys are tough and play Oklahoma football.

sooner518
3/13/2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks for posting the video. Some things I noticed.

1. His throwing motion is almost exactly like JW's.
2. Great presence in the pocket. Under duress, he keeps looking downfield and doesn't tuck the ball at the first sign of trouble.
3. Doesn't have Bomar's wheels but he is shifty. Hopefully he also doesn't have Bomar's ethics.
4. Good touch on the ball.
5. Hard to tell what his arm strength is like.
just the way he drops back reminds me of JW. He stands very tall in the pocket and doesnt get happy-feet back there. He also had some very nice endzone fade throws. I like the looks of this guy

snp
3/13/2007, 03:54 PM
Jason White had very happy feet.

soonerdave79
3/14/2007, 10:21 AM
6'8" 300! With Loadholt, is Coach Patton trying to get big men for the basketball team, too?

Pretty soon, we're gonna need to recruit a 6'10" QB just to see over these guys.

sooner518
3/14/2007, 04:03 PM
Nate Hybl had very happy feet.
Now there's something we can both agree on :D

MojoRisen
3/25/2007, 05:37 PM
Franklin is visiting Georgia - any scoop on that? Also looks like Florida is getting in the game.

BASSooner
3/25/2007, 08:55 PM
Franklin is visiting Georgia - any scoop on that? Also looks like Florida is getting in the game.
yup. he's already visited florida.

Frozen Sooner
3/25/2007, 09:43 PM
I guess the interviews post-Georgia are still very OU solid.

jk the sooner fan
3/25/2007, 10:08 PM
franklin who?

snp
3/25/2007, 10:08 PM
"I talked with Coach [John] Jancek a little bit while I was there, but I told him I was Oklahoma all the way."

"I am still one-hundred percent committed to Oklahoma," he said. "Georgia is a nice play and everything is great there, but I am comfortable with Oklahoma. I am not interested in any other schools."

Newton's third law of recruiting dynamics says that many of the current commits are going to take visits and enjoy the recruiting process.

magic33216
3/26/2007, 06:32 PM
I don't know if this has even been mentioned, I didn't have time to read the whole topic. Anyway RB Jermie Calhoun is listed as a solid verbal, and the kid looks pretty good. Take a look at him...

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=49060

They let you watch some of the videos.

BASSooner
3/26/2007, 07:46 PM
I'm about shaky about Calhoun, because the reason why he came here was because mack cancelled his visit and said that he would no longer recruit. However, if mack does decide to give him a late offer, he could decommit, just like those of the past.

birddog
3/26/2007, 08:35 PM
well of course bass, that's why we shouldn't get too amped about commits until they're inked.

Frozen Sooner
3/26/2007, 08:55 PM
I'm about shaky about Calhoun, because the reason why he came here was because mack cancelled his visit and said that he would no longer recruit. However, if mack does decide to give him a late offer, he could decommit, just like those of the past.

Based on Calhoun's comments, he's pretty ****ed at UT and doesn't even want to take any visits anywhere but OU.

Now, if it were me, and the school I'd always wanted to go to had told me "Thanks, but no thanks" because of my grades halfway through my junior year, I'd tell them to go suck eggs if they started recruiting me again. That's just me though.

snp
3/26/2007, 10:06 PM

Calhoun seems pretty bitter about what transpired. Texas has already got Hills and Newton (Hills is much better, Newton will have to develop) already committed.

I'm not worried about Calhoun the least next to Bus and Good.

picasso
3/26/2007, 11:45 PM
I still can't get the happy feet stuff. If you go all the way back to Heupel, that technique was taught by Chucky to the QB's. They all did it in pre-game.

MojoRisen
3/27/2007, 08:09 AM
Calhoun looks darn good- He needs too focus down on grades and what it takes to qualify at the next level- we all know college isn't too hard if you show up to class.

He looks like he will be a good player!

jk the sooner fan
3/27/2007, 08:17 AM
FRANKLIN WHO?????

Mjcpr
3/27/2007, 08:31 AM
This would be my guess, jk.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=8&c=1&nid=2826508

Rhino
3/27/2007, 11:12 AM
Yup. (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1792082&postcount=3)

jk the sooner fan
3/27/2007, 11:13 AM
thanks, i didnt see him in the rhino file

jk the sooner fan
3/27/2007, 11:14 AM
Yup. (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1792082&postcount=3)

well crap, how did i miss that?

jccouger
3/28/2007, 11:26 PM
5 of our 7 commitments are in the top 100 to watch class of 08.

SgtSooner
3/30/2007, 04:07 PM
If any of these early committments can put a thorn in the side of Mack and the shorthorns then I love it even more. We need some of these young men to now stick to their word and become Sooners and then we will decide if they are legends!

Is August here yet?

Common sense ref
3/31/2007, 11:19 PM
5 of our 7 commitments are in the top 100 to watch class of 08.
I cannot start a thread yet, but I jst talked to Ben Habern and he said he will be committing this wednesday. He also said he would be at the scrimmage saturday.:D

KingDavid
3/31/2007, 11:46 PM
I cannot start a thread yet, but I jst talked to Ben Habern and he said he will be committing this wednesday. He also said he would be at the scrimmage saturday.:D

sweet!

melbitoast
4/1/2007, 12:06 AM

Not that I'm not totally stoked about the upcoming season, but........is it February 2008 yet???? HOLY CRAP!!

okienole3
4/1/2007, 09:09 PM

And you are?

insuranceman_22
4/2/2007, 10:15 PM

I hope your right!

Frozen Sooner
4/3/2007, 01:09 AM
And you are?

Someone who's well-connected in Texas football. He's usually pretty reliable.

Fraggle145
4/3/2007, 08:15 PM
Anyone have any info on this guy (for us non rivals.com users) - LB Michael Mauti, out of Mandeville, La. Did we offer him already? apparently his visit is this week....

snp
4/3/2007, 10:02 PM
He's been offered and are recruiting him pretty hard it looks like. He's not coming this week, but April 27th.

What are the predictions for how many LBs are signed this year?

goingoneight
4/4/2007, 12:21 AM
Where do we rank right now on the Nat'l recruiting list? Not that rank matters or anything, I'm just wondering what OUr rivals think of us reeling these kids in while they are stupid enough to think we're getting the death penalty. :D

snp
4/4/2007, 12:25 AM
2008 guys haven't been rated yet.

insuranceman_22
4/4/2007, 12:30 AM
I have to admit that I'm a little excited to see the ratings when the come out. I realize rivals or scout are just their opinions, but with the 7 we have it really looks good so far. Damn it....come on August!

SoonerinBoulder
4/4/2007, 03:51 PM
So any word on Habern yet? I think he was supposed to make it official at 3.

toast
4/4/2007, 03:59 PM
rivals says he's committed to OU

snp
4/4/2007, 04:20 PM
He's been committed for a while ;)

PAW
4/4/2007, 04:57 PM
Good stuff.

Anyone have a list of who's going to be in town for the Red/White game this weekend?

snp
4/4/2007, 10:27 PM
Arthur Brown
Bryce Brown
C.J. Cox
Dolphin Davis
Cornelius Douglas
Stephen Good
Ben Habern
Chris Harper
Rico Huggins
Justin Johnson
Landry Jones
Chika Madu
Dejuan Miller
Britt Mitchell
David Oku
Kale Pick
J.B. Shugarts
Kye Staley
R.J. Washington
John Williams
K.J. Williams

insuranceman_22
4/4/2007, 10:47 PM
Have you guys seen Habern's highlights? He's knocking noseguards and DT 5 yards off the ball then taking them to the ground. He's run blocking LB's 15 yards off the ball. Looks to have a tremendous motor for an O-lineman. I do believe he's going to be a very nice addition to the Sooner Stable!

snp
4/4/2007, 10:57 PM
He might be a better DT than center - that's what ND and Miami offered him as. Although that might be because he's never snapped the ball as a center before. Great footwork and agility though.

melbitoast
4/5/2007, 09:34 PM
Arthur Brown
Bryce Brown
C.J. Cox
Dolphin Davis
Cornelius Douglas
Stephen Good
Ben Habern
Chris Harper
Rico Huggins
Justin Johnson
Landry Jones
Chika Madu
Dejuan MillerBritt Mitchell
David Oku
Kale Pick
J.B. Shugarts
Kye Staley
R.J. Washington
John Williams
K.J. Williams

Regarding the list of who is supposed to be here this weekend, here is my highlighted opinion of who's huge to be here. Some of the others I recognize from the big boards, but most of them are new to me. Anybody have any insight/opinions on some of the "new" guys (Pick, Oku, Madu, Cox, Davis, Harper and Huggins)???
LET'S GO GET HIM BOYS!!!!!

picasso
4/5/2007, 09:47 PM
Arthur Brown
Bryce Brown
C.J. Cox
Dolphin Davis
Cornelius Douglas
Stephen Good
Ben Habern
Chris Harper
Rico Huggins
Justin Johnson
Landry Jones
Chika Madu
Dejuan Miller
Britt Mitchell
David Oku
Kale Pick
J.B. Shugarts
Kye Staley
R.J. Washington
John Williams
K.J. Williams
are we going after Dolphin Davis from Booker T? he's a player, I have mutual friend who is bro's with his Dad.

PAW
4/6/2007, 04:10 PM
I'll take a pass on Shugarts.

melbitoast
4/6/2007, 09:46 PM
I'll take a pass on Shugarts.

Why's that? Got any useful insight to this kid?

PAW
4/6/2007, 10:18 PM
Why's that? Got any useful insight to this kid?

No 1st hand stuff, so take it FWIW. I think he's more hype, than substance. IIRC, his dad has been marketing him for years, which lead to a lot of the hype surrounding him. He's got the measurables, but it takes a lot more than that as we've seen in recent years. He got dinged up this past year and when he was ready to go back in, his coach kept him on the bench for the rest of the year for team "chemistry" and "continuity." He likes the attention he's getting from the recruiting process and tells people what they want to hear. After every visit, it was the best visit and he loved it. I don't expect anything different this week and the coaches have offered him, but I'd prefer he end up somewhere else.

JMO

insuranceman_22
4/7/2007, 11:00 PM
Pretty interesting stuff you've got there PAW. Thanks for the post...I've got a brother in law that coaches around the Austin area, he's telling me Sugarts is the real deal from what he's heard, but that may be the hype. Bro-in-law coaches at a 3A, so he won't ever face him........

snp
4/8/2007, 04:11 PM
Yea, the hype that surrounds him has those fooled those idiots at LSU, Michigan, ohio State, and USC. Those guys and Stoops don't know anything.

After he returned from injury he was put in as a TE, further demonstrating his athletic ability.

As for the rave reviews after each visit, he's 17, let him have his fun. The reason he does is it is because of recruiting geeks like ourselves.

melbitoast
4/8/2007, 08:11 PM
Any inside scoop on possible committs after this weekend's spring game?

PAW
4/8/2007, 08:44 PM
Yea, the hype that surrounds him has those fooled those idiots at LSU, Michigan, ohio State, and USC. Those guys and Stoops don't know anything.

I said the coaches want him and like you state, so do a lot of other coaches. A lot of coaches wanted Noel Devine too and IMO, I wouldn't want him on my team. I've been wrong before and I've always said to trust the coaches. It's my personal opinion. Oh, and be happy I'm not the coach. ;)

snp
4/8/2007, 09:56 PM
Noel Devine will be spectacular at West Virgina if he ends up staying eligible. With their awesome running game and their love of couch burning, they're becoming a fun team to root for.