PDA

View Full Version : I'll be @ the Fred Jones Jr. Museum

picasso
2/3/2007, 12:24 AM
tomorrow afternoon. if anyone wants to see me and mine.

just remember I know how to kick people in the junk with great swiftness.

proud gonzo
2/3/2007, 12:38 AM
if I go, will you say hi to me?

soonerboomer93
2/3/2007, 12:45 AM
tomorrow afternoon. if anyone wants to see me and mine.

just remember I like to be kicked in the junk with great swiftness.

you and Sicem have a lot in common

picasso
2/5/2007, 02:10 PM
I'm going to guess that the Van Gogh is the most valuable work in the collection.;) and the Fritz Scholder piece on the bottom floor is # 1 in the native american display.

pretty cool seeing all of the old school Oklahoma icons (and some of my friends) in the native wing.

also, the Elias Rivera painting donated by the Mrs. Boren is freaking awesome.

hi PG!

proud gonzo
2/5/2007, 02:38 PM
hi Picasso! Sorry I didn't stop by to say hello--ended up being busy :O

Newbomb Turk
2/5/2007, 09:21 PM
I'm going to guess that the Van Gogh is the most valuable work in the collection.;) and the Fritz Scholder piece on the bottom floor is # 1 in the native american display.

This was gone when we went there this past summer - on loan to some other museum. :mad:

http://www.ou.edu/fjjma/images/collections/weitzenhoffer/vangogh-portrait.jpg

OUAndy1807
2/5/2007, 09:42 PM
so is your work still up?

picasso
2/5/2007, 10:16 PM
This was gone when we went there this past summer - on loan to some other museum. :mad:

http://www.ou.edu/fjjma/images/collections/weitzenhoffer/vangogh-portrait.jpg
it's ok, but a Van Gogh is a Van Gogh. I had the honor of seeing his exhibit at the national gallery of art about 10 years ago in D.C.

BigRedJed
2/5/2007, 10:21 PM
Yeah, Portrait of Alexander Reid was on loan to a museum in Scotland. Reid was an art dealer there, a friend of Van Gogh's brother Theo. There are only two known Van Gogh portraits of Reid. Both, for a long time, were thought to be self-portraits since he bore such a strong resemblance to Vincent.

The other was on loan to the OKCMOA a couple of years ago, and it was the first known time in 100+ years that they were so close together, or even on the same continent. So the curators notified the media, and there was a little publicity. It was cool.

My favorite piece in the Weitzenhoffer Collection is this Camille ****arro, called Bergère rentrant des moutons or Shepherdess Bringing in Sheep:

http://www.ou.edu/fjjma/images/collections/weitzenhoffer/****arro-shepherdess.jpg

There are actually several great ****arros. I think my second favorite piece would probably be the Van Gogh, for its uniqueness, if nothing else. Vincent is my favorite artist. But it really vies for that placement with this piece from Van Gogh' friend/foil/mancrush/? Gaugin (Winter Day):

http://www.ou.edu/fjjma/images/collections/weitzenhoffer/gauguin-copenhagen.jpg

I don't think enough people appreciate what we have at the FJJMOA. That collection is the single largest collection of Impressionist works ever given to a public university. EVAR. It is truly world-class, and they built a world-class facility to house it, designed by Hugh Newell Jacobsen. The coolest part is how he designed the portion housing the Weitzenhoffer to be an interior dead-ringer for the Weizenhoffer home, displaying the art, furniture, china and other items in situ. It's like you are walking through this amazing woman's home.

Guys, if you've never been to the FJJMOA, you need to get over there and appreciate what great culture OU has to offer all of us ****ing hillbillies.

BigRedJed
2/5/2007, 10:24 PM
My favorite piece in the Weitzenhoffer Collection is this Camille ****arro, called Bergère rentrant des moutons or Shepherdess Bringing in Sheep:

http://www.ou.edu/fjjma/images/collections/weitzenhoffer/****arro-shepherdess.jpg
You have GOT to be kidding me. Talk about being ****ed off...

BigRedJed
2/5/2007, 10:34 PM
it's ok, but a Van Gogh is a Van Gogh. I had the honor of seeing his exhibit at the national gallery of art about 10 years ago in D.C.
Have you ever made it to the National Gallery in London? Literally dozens of Van Goghs. Same for pretty much every significant artist you can name from every period. My favorite Van Gogh there is Van Gogh's Chair, because of the connection to the companion painting of Gaugin's armchair at the Rijksmuseum Vincent Van Gogh, Amsterdam. I read an fascinating article in Smithsonian a few years ago that talked about Vincent's obsession with Gaugin. I had remembered the chair from my visit to the National Gallery, and that there was a companion piece. The article really filled in the blanks for me.

Going to Amsterdam to visit that museum is in my top 10 things I want to do before I die. It might have only been in my top 11, but Amsterdam's hookers put it over the top.

BigRedJed
2/5/2007, 10:36 PM
I'll say that the the chair is maybe my favorite Van Gogh for sentimental reasons, including the story. My favorite Van Gogh just to look at was also at the National Gallery, however. It's one of his many wheat field with cypresses paintings, from when he was winding down at the loony bin. Beautiful.

picasso
2/5/2007, 11:03 PM
I saw The Chair in D.C.

and you are right that Guagin piece was excellent.
http://www.ou.edu/fjjma/images/collections/weitzenhoffer/gauguin-copenhagen.jpg
I looked at that sucker for a long time and tried to imagine his being in the time and painting it. very cool.

kind of cheesey at times but the Van Gogh flick starring Kirk Douglas was pretty good when Anthony Quinn as Gaugin spent time with the crazy Dutch painter.
they really did nearly kill each other.

OU should be proud of that collection and of the Oklahoma artists represented.

BigRedJed
2/6/2007, 10:25 AM
Never saw that picture. I've wanted to, but been sort of afraid.

OU4LIFE
2/6/2007, 10:31 AM
I'm probably a lemming, but my fav is still Monet.

getting to see those pieces up close last time I was in Vegas was awesome, the depth of the paint was amazing to me. It had to be 3/8 thick in some spots.

BigRedJed
2/6/2007, 10:32 AM
Lemming.

picasso
2/6/2007, 10:33 AM
hey, the boys are playing at Lakeside today. I can't go and it's killing me Jerry.

OU4LIFE
2/6/2007, 10:34 AM
can't. or won't Clark?

OU4LIFE
2/6/2007, 10:35 AM
Lemming.

athankyou