PDA

View Full Version : NFL to churches: Parties violate copyright laws

Sooner_Bob
2/2/2007, 11:40 PM
And we think the NCAA is full of itself?

This is crazy. (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6436876)

The church planned to charge admission to cover the food tab for its party and show the game on a big screen using a projector. It also promoted its "Super Bowl bash" on the church Web site.

Those are some copyright no-no's. The league's long-standing policy is to ban "mass out-of-home viewing" of the Super Bowl except at sports bars and other businesses that televise sports as part of their everyday operations, Aiello said.

Places are prohibited from charging admission to watch the Super Bowl, and the law prevents them from showing the game on a TV bigger than 55 inches.

Sorry guys. I guess since I've got a 65" TV the party at my place is out of the question.

:rolleyes:

TUSooner
2/2/2007, 11:41 PM
I heard that on the radio. Astounding.
****ing lawyers! :mad:

uh... wait a sec....

royalfan5
2/2/2007, 11:41 PM
I knew there was a reason I barely aknowledge the NFL's existence.

Scott D
2/2/2007, 11:42 PM
see the church went about it the wrong way

if they 'accept donations' there is nothing wrong.

Mongo
2/2/2007, 11:44 PM
We did this all the time at my old church. We called it the Chilli Bowl. People brought up chilli and it was a contest. We never charged, just asked for donations.

Aint nothing like 300+ Baptists watching the Super Bowl on a 40X40 screen, and farting for the Holy Spirit.

Sooner_Bob
2/2/2007, 11:44 PM

if they 'accept donations' there is nothing wrong.

exactly . . . still though, I read the charge as being for the food not for the game.

:D

Sooner_Bob
2/2/2007, 11:45 PM
We did this all the time at my old church. We called it the Chilli Bowl. People brought up chilli and it was a contest. We never charged, just asked for donations.

Aint nothing like 300+ Baptists watching the Super Bowl on a 40X40 screen, and farting for the Holy Spirit.

Was that chili with or without beans? Consider your answer very carefully. :D

picasso
2/2/2007, 11:49 PM
the law concerning the size of the tv is a joke. does it really matter if consumers watch the game in a small or large group? either way they're still seeing the frickin commercials.

Mongo
2/2/2007, 11:49 PM
Was that chili with or without beans? Consider your answer very carefully. :D

We're Baptist, we dont serve gay chili. And if a gay chili showed up, we counseled it and pointed out its homosexual chiliness;)

Scott D
2/2/2007, 11:50 PM
exactly . . . still though, I read the charge as being for the food not for the game.

:D

you read it the same way I read it. However, because the church is 'charging' for anything is what makes it the grey area. 'donating' makes it a non grey area, and the NFL can't say it violates the copyright you hear during every broadcast.

Widescreen
2/2/2007, 11:52 PM
Let the NFL prosecute. If they think they have PR problems now, lets see what happens after they try to drag a church into court.

Getem
2/3/2007, 12:00 AM
The church actually offered to forgo the admission price and refrain from using the words "Super Bowl", and the NFL still nixed it citing the 55 inch rule. I just can't believe there's really a law that says that. It'd have to be a federal law, right? Is this an FCC regulation? How does the NFL extend its' reach into churches? And if true, you're breaking the same law if you have people over to watch the Super Bowl on your >55inch TV. No way I believe that's a law.

Scott D
2/3/2007, 12:34 AM
it pays to have the FCC in your pocket.

Mjcpr
2/3/2007, 12:35 AM
it pays to have the FCC in your pocket.

Is that what Billy Squier had in his?

Scott D
2/3/2007, 12:36 AM
you'd have to ask howzit

jrsooner
2/3/2007, 10:31 AM
if they 'accept donations' there is nothing wrong.Yep, most of the churches here, it's free to get in, and then they have little "concession" stands that you can purchase food at.

I wonder how many lawyers 2nd Baptist has already pony'd up to fight this. :)
http://www.second.org/calendar/EventDetails.aspx?eventId=1638

MamaMia
2/3/2007, 10:55 AM
NFL lawyers coming at churches over little Super Bowl fund raisers would be a no win situation for the NFL.

JohnnyMack
2/3/2007, 11:03 AM
The church screwed up by charging admission. Plain and simple. Just like Hooters or Chili's can't charge admission to get in to watch a game.

Dumb?

Yeah.

tommieharris91
2/3/2007, 11:09 AM
The Bears tried to do something similar by holding a mass watch party at Soldier Field and the NFL had that nixed, too.

Widescreen
2/3/2007, 11:10 AM
The church screwed up by charging admission. Plain and simple. Just like Hooters or Chili's can't charge admission to get in to watch a game.

Dumb?

Yeah.
Wow. That's amazing, even for you.

Ike
2/3/2007, 11:15 AM
F the NFL.

maybe they should call it a "candlemas" party ;)

trey
2/3/2007, 11:20 AM
I don't blame the nfl. it's all about money...if all 90 million people that are going to watch the super bowl did so at churches, stadiums, or any public venue then the ratings would suck because they can't track them. in turn, they wouldn't be able to charge 2.6 million for a 30 second spot on sunday. ratings + advertising = $$$$$$

royalfan5
2/3/2007, 11:20 AM
It's just bad PR to sue a church, it's like fighting a dude in wheelchair, even if you are in the right you still look like a jack***. I'm surprised someone in the NFL offices didn't sit there and think about that fact when filing the lawsuit.

JohnnyMack
2/3/2007, 11:46 AM
Wow. That's amazing, even for you.

I aim to please. :D

sanantoniosooner
2/3/2007, 11:51 AM
I think we'll have a "Grease: You're the One That I Want" Party and accidentally change the channel.

JohnnyMack
2/3/2007, 11:54 AM

It's all in the wording.

Say:

Main Street Baptist Church Super Bowl Party!
Admission $5

and you're in trouble.

Say:

Main Street Baptist Church Football Fest and Chili Cook-off!
Donations Accepted

and you're fine.

Oldnslo
2/3/2007, 12:38 PM
I'll be darned.

17 U.S.C.A. sec. 106 and 110

There really is a 55-inch rule. Can't have the party at my place, either.

sooneron
2/3/2007, 04:07 PM
F the nfl!

85Sooner
2/3/2007, 06:42 PM
Actually , this is just the beginning. they are now looking to TAX ALL TV'S AND PROJECTORS claiming the same thing. tHEY ARE CLAIMING THAT 60" AND ABOVE SETS ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR "private viewing and thus should be licsensed differently. They havn't figured out weather to tax the hardware or the software. How will they know?????????????????? good ole HDMI connections.

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/3/2007, 06:46 PM
This is horse**** regardless, I would just do it anyway ;) They really call in swat to go in to a Church to raid it ;)

TUSooner
2/3/2007, 07:20 PM
It's just bad PR to sue a church, it's like fighting a dude in wheelchair, even if you are in the right you still look like a jack***....

Yeah, but Stephen Hawking will think twice about dissin' me again!

Widescreen
2/3/2007, 07:23 PM
You could totally kick his ***.

:P

StoopTroup
2/3/2007, 07:28 PM
I wonder if there is a out clause for Non-Profit Organizations?

Sooner_Bob
2/3/2007, 11:28 PM
Actually , this is just the beginning. they are now looking to TAX ALL TV'S AND PROJECTORS claiming the same thing. tHEY ARE CLAIMING THAT 60" AND ABOVE SETS ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR "private viewing and thus should be licsensed differently. They havn't figured out weather to tax the hardware or the software. How will they know?????????????????? good ole HDMI connections.

No freaking way. :confused: