PDA

View Full Version : So, if the sheriffs can't count

85Sooner
2/2/2007, 04:07 PM
on the governement to back them up, then who do we trust?
For those who wanted the link
Continued from the ivins thread
Sheriffs deputy convicted for trying to defend self.
http://washingtontimes.com/national/20070202-124744-1388r.htm

royalfan5
2/2/2007, 04:11 PM
Why not blame the jury of his peers that convicted him?

TheUnnamedSooner
2/2/2007, 04:14 PM
I didn't read the other thread, but if a car is driving away, what is he defending himself from?

mdklatt
2/2/2007, 04:18 PM
I didn't read the other thread, but if a car is driving away, what is he defending himself from?

Exhaust fumes--carbon monoxide is deadly.

jk the sooner fan
2/2/2007, 04:27 PM
firing shots at vehicle as it approaches you = ok

firing shots at vehicle as it speeds away = not so ok

85Sooner
2/2/2007, 04:36 PM

Evidently, according to the evidence presented and reported by the sheriff of his county. The car was stopped and the driver gunned the engine trying to hit the officer as he pulled away.

jk the sooner fan
2/2/2007, 04:39 PM
regardless, there was a DA involved in this and a jury of his peers that felt he wasnt "defending himself"

anytime you have a death, it WILL go before a grand jury.....if the grand jury indicts, then it has to go to trial (more or less)

what could the government do differently here?

TheUnnamedSooner
2/2/2007, 04:41 PM
What was the evidence against him then? I didn't see anything about that in the article. I'm sure there is more to it....

yermom
2/2/2007, 04:45 PM
if he was shooting at the tires as they were driving off, i don't see how he was "defending himself"

but running from a cop after trying to run him over seems like it warrants any injury you acquire in the process

sounds like the driver should be responsible for the injury to the passenger...

Ike
2/2/2007, 04:56 PM
The way I see it, the legal status of the occupants in the car have nothing to do with the case. The question of whether he was defending himself or not rests entirely on the question of whether he fired as the car was coming or going. Sounds like semantics, but in the eyes of the law, thats what matters.

jk the sooner fan
2/2/2007, 04:58 PM
its either "self defense" or "excessive use of force"

the department has a "use of force" policy, which i'm sure was used to determine whether or not he was right or wrong

TheUnnamedSooner
2/2/2007, 04:58 PM
Either there is more to it OR the deputy had a crappy lawyer with the passenger having Johnny Cochran

jk the sooner fan
2/2/2007, 04:59 PM
johnny cochran is dead, i would hope any crappy lawyer could beat him ;)

TheUnnamedSooner
2/2/2007, 05:00 PM
johnny cochran is dead, i would hope any crappy lawyer could beat him ;)

damn technicalities