PDA

View Full Version : The handful of soccer fans

Scott D
2/2/2007, 01:04 PM
It's been good to see that more of our boys are getting a chance in England. Clint Dempsey's loan to Fulham, Gooch on a loan deal with Newcastle, Beasley with Manchester City also. I think we're now up to 16 players playing in England, most of them in the Premiership.

We've needed more international players and fewer Landon Donovan/Eddie Pope types for awhile, and now we're starting to get those chances.

GrapevineSooner
2/2/2007, 01:18 PM
I thought this was going to be a thread about how Tom Hicks can find $250 million to buy Liverpool when he can't even buy pitching for the Rangers. ;)

Scott D
2/2/2007, 01:26 PM
financially Liverpool would be a far better investment than pitching for the Rangers ;)

birddog
2/2/2007, 01:51 PM
i didn't realize clint was sent to fulham. good for him. seems like alot the yanks wind up in fulham.

Scott D
2/2/2007, 02:01 PM
yeah, the site I looked at mentioned that Fulham seems more willing to give American players a chance than other top level clubs across Europe.

I'm really hoping that Gooch does well so that his loan move to Newcastle turns into a permanent transfer.

Cam
2/2/2007, 08:54 PM
Gooch gets his first shot this weekend. Personally, I think he's built for the EPL. Dude's big and strong and it's one hell of a physical league. He'll need to keep a low profile for a little while though so he doesn't get a bad rep.

Haven't gotten to catch Dempsey in a Fulham kit yet. I read that the MLS is trying to bring back Beasley. I hope for his sake and his development that he doesn't. From the couple of Man City games I've seen, he's played well. Had a hell of a goal a couple of weeks ago.

Scott D
2/2/2007, 08:58 PM
It's about 50/50 on Gooch playing tomorrow. Bramble came back from injury last match, and with Steven Taylor having the other central defender position being held steady, Gooch has his work cut out for him.

But, if Gooch can be as good as he was advertised pre-World Cup..it makes me sad to think what could have been if we'd been able to hold on to Jonathan Woodgate.

birddog
2/3/2007, 02:26 PM
reading @ man. city at 12:30. hahnemann's still at reading, correct? at any rate, should be a good one.

Scott D
2/3/2007, 04:14 PM
yanks abroad (http://www.yanks-abroad.com/content.php?mode=players) shows who is where, although the database is sort of limited in size. They seem to do a good job updating. When I made the thread yesterday they had Gooch still with his Danish team, today they've got him with Newcastle United.

Man City got outclassed by Reading today, Beasley had a couple of chances, but Reading had good defensive coverage when he was in the box.

GottaHavePride
2/3/2007, 04:17 PM
I like that more of our guys are starting to play internationally. I'm also wondering if Beckham will have any impact on the popularity of the the sport in this o****ry.

Heh. I mis-typed country.

Scott D
2/3/2007, 04:21 PM
Oh, also it sounds like the joint bid between Hicks and the owner of the Montreal Canadiens for Liverpool will be completed by Tuesday. That makes 3 of the top level teams in England with American Owners (Manchester United/Glazer family, Aston Villa/Randy Lerner, Liverpool/Tom Hicks,George Gillett)

birddog
2/3/2007, 05:17 PM
hey scotty, shouldn't that be in the sports illustrated section "Signs the Apocalypse is Upon Us."?

Scott D
2/3/2007, 06:31 PM
I doubt it, that makes 7 of the 20 clubs with foreign ownership. 3 of the 7 by Americans. It was almost 7 of 20, but the bid for Newcastle United fell through.

birddog
2/3/2007, 07:06 PM
recent history, it makes sense. i was referring to our history as a soccer nation. just like it would seem odd if the nfl was being overtaken by european investors.

Scott D
2/3/2007, 07:31 PM
perhaps, but overall there's more money to be made with a Manchester United or Liverpool than there is to be made with a Dallas Cowboys or New York Yankees.

BeetDigger
2/3/2007, 08:50 PM
I like that more of our guys are starting to play internationally. I'm also wondering if Beckham will have any impact on the popularity of the the sport in this o****ry.

Careful. Anytime you try to discuss soccer popularity in the US on this site the local soccer "fans" get their panties all in a wad.

Scott D
2/3/2007, 10:06 PM

I think his impact will be more outside of what he does in MLS. He keeps saying he wants to start opening acadamies around the country to help develop young players. That is more of where the impact will take place in my opinion.

Also, it's looking very likely that in 18 months MLS will make a big push to sign Ronaldo.

Cam
2/3/2007, 10:11 PM
I think his impact will be more outside of what he does in MLS. He keeps saying he wants to start opening acadamies around the country to help develop young players. That is more of where the impact will take place in my opinion.
That's the way I see it as well.

He'll boost attendance next year just out of curiosity alone, but not the popularity of the sport overall. It'll take more big names and a few years them playing for that to happen IMO.

illinisooner
2/3/2007, 10:48 PM
The Beckham signing can do nothing but good for MLS and US Soccer in general. The only way MLS is going to become better is to get better players, whether that be Americans or foreigners. Problem is, that takes time and people want to see results immediately. The EPL, Bundesliga, etc have been around for about a century, and MLS has been around 10 years. Small steps will get MLS more respect, and Beckham is certainly a "huge" small step.

birddog
2/3/2007, 11:26 PM
Careful. Anytime you try to discuss soccer popularity in the US on this site the local soccer "fans" get their panties all in a wad.

i was hoping i wouldn't see you in a soccer thread til the next world cup.:D

Jeopardude
2/12/2007, 01:12 PM

For someone who complained about how soccer players writhe and moan after a foul, I've never seen anyone milk a supposed affront for all its worth.

Give it up.

birddog
2/13/2007, 07:35 PM
looks like klinsmann interviewed for the us gig again.

Scott D
2/13/2007, 08:03 PM
a deal won't happen unless they are willing to give him full control over naming the entire squad.

BeetDigger
2/14/2007, 12:42 PM
For someone who complained about how soccer players writhe and moan after a foul, I've never seen anyone milk a supposed affront for all its worth.

Give it up.

You would rather complain to me rather than actually add your thoughts about soccer? You're not much of a fan, what with being so easily distracted by shiny objects.

Cam
2/14/2007, 10:47 PM
a deal won't happen unless they are willing to give him full control over naming the entire squad.
Unfortunately, the selection process is way too political for the USSF to give that power to just one person.

birddog
2/15/2007, 11:02 PM
Copa America Groups were announced today.

Our Group:

Argentina
US
Paraguay
Colombia

Looks to be a little more manageable compared to our World Cup draw.

GottaHavePride
2/15/2007, 11:21 PM

Considering how we did at the World Cup, I'd hand that control over without a second thought and never look back. ;)

birddog
2/16/2007, 03:38 PM
http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_281700.html

copa america info.