PDA

View Full Version : Lavasoft Ad-Ware

Jerk
2/2/2007, 12:52 PM
Has anyone here purchased any of the add-ons, like "real time protection"? Was it worth it?

I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle here with all of the viruses, spyware, nefarious toolbars, etc. Upgrading to service pack 2 would probably help, but my favorite game doesn't work with it.

hmmmmmmmmmm

crawfish
2/2/2007, 12:54 PM
Stop browsing for pr0n, and you'll stop losing the battle. :D

Jerk
2/2/2007, 01:02 PM
Here's the truth- a while back I feel into tempation and wanted to see some naked chick pics, so I, you know, looked around.....I got a nasty virus that was so bad that I had to format and re-install the operating system. So, I learned my lesson, right? I don't surf those sites anymore. I don't know how I got this crap. There are only a few sites that I regularly visit- and no pron. Now I got this "trojan toolbar" junk I can't get rid of. I even got this virus where they have the audacity to direct me to their website and sell me the removal tool. I sent that one to the FBI.

sigh.

SleestakSooner
2/2/2007, 01:13 PM
http://www.digitalinsights.net/cd/avgas-setup-7.5.0.50.exe

The link above is for a free version of a virus scanning program that works really well. I would not invest in those add ons if I were you.

A great deal of the virus removal and scanning programs tend to bog down a machine more than the spyware and crap they are trying to prevent and detect.

landrun
2/2/2007, 01:23 PM
http://www.digitalinsights.net/cd/avgas-setup-7.5.0.50.exe

The link above is for a free version of a virus scanning program that works really well. I would not invest in those add ons if I were you.

A great deal of the virus removal and scanning programs tend to bog down a machine more than the spyware and crap they are trying to prevent and detect.

Don't click that link!

Its spyware, adware and a virus all rolled up into one! :D

yermom
2/2/2007, 01:32 PM
stop using IE Jerk ;)

does Windows Defender (free from M$) work with XP SP1?

what game doesn't work with SP2? is it THAT good? ;) SP2 is a lot better for security stuff IMO

if you haven't already, start using Firefox for what you can, seriously, it makes THAT much of a difference

Jerk
2/2/2007, 02:02 PM
Okay, thanks guys.

Firefox sounds like a good option.

mdklatt
2/2/2007, 02:10 PM
if you haven't already, start using Firefox for what you can, seriously, it makes THAT much of a difference

Firefox security is so good it can even stop some web sites from loading! ;)

GottaHavePride
2/2/2007, 02:24 PM
Dude, service pack 1 has security holes so big a three-year old could hack your computer. What kind of game won't run with SP2? It's a buggy DOS version of Blaster Master, isn't it. ;)

RacerX
2/2/2007, 05:55 PM
AVG (http://free.grisoft.com/) has both free antivirus and anti spyware.

soonerboomer93
2/2/2007, 05:57 PM
um, you could always try running the game in compatability mode also

jacru
2/2/2007, 06:39 PM
norton and ad-aware have taken care of any problem I ever had.
Teens in the house dowloading all sorts of crap will give you problems too.

SicEmBaylor
2/2/2007, 06:40 PM
What's yoru favorite game that doesn't work on SP2?
Have you tried patching it?