PDA

View Full Version : Space heaters

Petro-Sooner
2/2/2007, 09:52 AM
I'm currently renting a small house with **** poor insulation. Landlord wont do anything about it. Heating bill last month was higher than it should have been. I'm considering getting a space heater to help keep the gas bill down. Is it more economical to have one? I have a good idea but was wanting to see what kinda of answers I can get from the fine people of the SO.

Good day.

sooner_born_1960
2/2/2007, 09:59 AM
Why do you hate the consumption of fossil fuels?

Petro-Sooner
2/2/2007, 10:03 AM
:D I'm still a poor college guy for a few more months.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/2/2007, 10:03 AM
Don't. They're dangerous as hell.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/2/2007, 10:41 AM
space heater = fire ,may = death...

space heater = fire = landlord wishing he would have put insulation in...

IronSooner
2/2/2007, 10:46 AM
I'm sitting in front of one right now. They're fine, just have to sit them on the ground and unplug when you aren't using them. Not that big a fire hazard if you know what to do with them.

Jimminy Crimson
2/2/2007, 10:50 AM
Pretty much any space heater you buy nowadays will have an auto shut-off feature if it gets too hot or tips over.

No worries.

picasso
2/2/2007, 10:52 AM
Don't. They're dangerous as hell.
even the little electric ceramic ones? I bought one @ Home Depot last year and my old lady is using it in her bedroom (she lives in an older house in midtown Tulsa). it heats up the entire back part of her house.

little ceramic one, kicks butt.

Petro-Sooner
2/2/2007, 11:11 AM
What do they run? 20-30 bucks?

TheHumanAlphabet
2/2/2007, 11:12 AM
Man, I miss the days of the open gas flame heaters they used to put in the bathrooms and in the dens...

Petro-Sooner
2/2/2007, 11:18 AM
speaking of open gas flame heaters in bathrooms. I have one in my bathroom but have never used it. Its on an exterior wall so you know what that mean. Drafty as hell!! Might as well have the window open. Would some of the clear plastic insulating cover taped over the heater do the trick?

yermom
2/2/2007, 11:21 AM
sure, don't listen to the guy that has probably put out fires from the things ;)

picasso
2/2/2007, 11:27 AM
Man, I miss the days of the open gas flame heaters they used to put in the bathrooms and in the dens...
we had one of those old timey General Electric ones in our back bathroom when I was a kid. open, with the coils that got red hot. I'd put some tp against it and start a little fire.

heh.:O :D

Tulsa_Fireman
2/2/2007, 11:33 AM
Not that big a fire hazard if you know what to do with them.

Pretty much any space heater you buy nowadays will have an auto shut-off feature if it gets too hot or tips over.

No worries.

They're all dangerous, auto shutoff or not. For a couple of reasons.

1) Proximity and radiant heat. As we all know, the whole point of a space heater is to heat a room. The process is simple, as radiant heat is distributed from the filament. However, this type of heat transfer exists in two ways, through the source radiant heat releasing into the fluid medium (air) as well as continuing as radiated heat until reaching an opaque object. As the heated surrounding air diffuses through convection, the radiated heat continues to emit from the heater. This can and will be transferred and over time, will dry combustibles such as home furnishings. And as those furnishings dry, their ignition temperatures are lowered and through the continued exposure to radiated heat, can ignite, seemingly free of any actual ignition source. Floor coverings, draperies, textiles, and even high ignition temperature materials are ALL subject to this eventual process as that radiated heat is absorbed.

2) Inherent design. Filament type space heaters, as I'm sure we all know, work essentially just like a lightbulb. Current is applied to a resistive material and the resistance of that material under load heats the material, thus giving off, according to the resistance and load, a certain amount of heat. This is an ignition source by design, both from filament failure to foreign material entering the heater. Now you may say, "Justin, I'm not an idiot. I'm not gonna cram my Sunday paper in my space heater." And yeah, if you did that, you would qualify for idiot status. But there are many combustibles in the home that depending on your housekeeping skills, you may never notice. A primary one being our good friend household dust. Ever notice how when you first fire up your heater at the beginning of winter, you smell burning? Maybe even get a hint of haze in your home? That's our friend dust burning in many cases. Add this volatile, easily transmitted 'tinder' to a substance already dried out from the radiated heat of a space heater and you have a recipe for disaster. Add filament failure and the resulting spark or heat from the failed element, and you can get the same thing. A deadly combination, a very dangerous scenario.

Add the usual suspects of extension cords, misplaced combustibles, poor wiring, even poor housekeeping and the risk increases even more. So even with auto shutoffs and knowing what to do with one, your common space heater is not just dangerous, it's a fire waiting to happen for multiple reasons.

You willing to take that risk?

I'm not. I've seen the carnage firsthand. And I'm not writing off the safety of my family and home for a cheap, quick solution that's proven time and time again to be a grave threat.

Petro-Sooner
2/2/2007, 11:35 AM
sure, don't listen to the guy that has probably put out fires from the things ;)

Dont get me wrong I have taken the threat of fire into account. Will only use it when I'm watchin tv or what not. Not while I'm sleeping.

Okla-homey
2/2/2007, 11:35 AM
Buy the type with a ceramic element. They're inherently safer. You do have to make sure the line of sight between you and it is not blocked to feel the heat, but in a smallish joint that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, have you considered wearing more clothes around the house? IMHO, too many folks want to be-bop around their pad in a t-shirt and boxers when its flippin' freezin' outside...which leads to higher than normal heat bills. IOW, put on sweats and help America become less dependent on foreign oil and less susceptible to trans-national terrorist entities funded by OPEC members.

You're welcome.

picasso
2/2/2007, 11:37 AM
I'm naked now Homey.

Petro-Sooner
2/2/2007, 11:38 AM
They're all dangerous, auto shutoff or not. For a couple of reasons.

1) Proximity and radiant heat. As we all know, the whole point of a space heater is to heat a room. The process is simple, as radiant heat is distributed from the filament. However, this type of heat transfer exists in two ways, through the source radiant heat releasing into the fluid medium (air) as well as continuing as radiated heat until reaching an opaque object. As the heated surrounding air diffuses through convection, the radiated heat continues to emit from the heater. This can and will be transferred and over time, will dry combustibles such as home furnishings. And as those furnishings dry, their ignition temperatures are lowered and through the continued exposure to radiated heat, can ignite, seemingly free of any actual ignition source. Floor coverings, draperies, textiles, and even high ignition temperature materials are ALL subject to this eventual process as that radiated heat is absorbed.

2) Inherent design. Filament type space heaters, as I'm sure we all know, work essentially just like a lightbulb. Current is applied to a resistive material and the resistance of that material under load heats the material, thus giving off, according to the resistance and load, a certain amount of heat. This is an ignition source by design, both from filament failure to foreign material entering the heater. Now you may say, "Justin, I'm not an idiot. I'm not gonna cram my Sunday paper in my space heater." And yeah, if you did that, you would qualify for idiot status. But there are many combustibles in the home that depending on your housekeeping skills, you may never notice. A primary one being our good friend household dust. Ever notice how when you first fire up your heater at the beginning of winter, you smell burning? Maybe even get a hint of haze in your home? That's our friend dust burning in many cases. Add this volatile, easily transmitted 'tinder' to a substance already dried out from the radiated heat of a space heater and you have a recipe for disaster. Add filament failure and the resulting spark or heat from the failed element, and you can get the same thing. A deadly combination, a very dangerous scenario.

Add the usual suspects of extension cords, misplaced combustibles, poor wiring, even poor housekeeping and the risk increases even more. So even with auto shutoffs and knowing what to do with one, your common space heater is not just dangerous, it's a fire waiting to happen for multiple reasons.

You willing to take that risk?

I'm not. I've seen the carnage firsthand. And I'm not writing off the safety of my family and home for a cheap, quick solution that's proven time and time again to be a grave threat.

Well, maybe I'll just take that 20 bucks and buy a thick blanket. Thanks Fireman.

Petro-Sooner
2/2/2007, 11:42 AM
Also, have you considered wearing more clothes around the house? IMHO, too many folks want to be-bop around their pad in a t-shirt and boxers when its flippin' freezin' outside...which leads to higher than normal heat bills. IOW, put on sweats and help America become less dependent on foreign oil and less susceptible to trans-national terrorist entities funded by OPEC members.

You're welcome.

I sport a sweatshirt, thick hiking socks and some form of pants. :)

picasso
2/2/2007, 11:45 AM
not me. buck. naked.

Okla-homey
2/2/2007, 11:49 AM
I sport a sweatshirt, thick hiking socks and some form of pants. :)

You sir, are a great American

Okla-homey
2/2/2007, 11:50 AM
not me. buck. naked.

You sir, are a terrorism facilitator.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/2/2007, 11:51 AM
You sir, are a terrorism facilitator.

Therefore, because I read it on the internet, it is true.

Picasso, I never woulda thunk it.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/2/2007, 12:04 PM
Well, maybe I'll just take that 20 bucks and buy a thick blanket. Thanks Fireman.

Spend more on a down comforter. Nice 'n toasty!

We also got a small down throw for the sofa. Nice...

picasso
2/2/2007, 12:10 PM
I actually like to sleep when it's cold. and not because I'm always naked.

Mongo
2/2/2007, 12:11 PM
Spend more on a down comforter. Nice 'n toasty!

We also got a small down throw for the sofa. Nice...

I tried to get my wife to go down, but she is allergic

Tulsa_Fireman
2/2/2007, 12:12 PM
I tried to get my wife to go down, but she is allergic

Don't believe it. They ALL use that excuse.

Mongo
2/2/2007, 12:13 PM
holy crap, that did not come out the way I meant for it too

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/2/2007, 12:18 PM
When I was a kid I unrolled all the TP (which was hung right above the devil heater) and made it go into the heater and made fire.

I was warm.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/2/2007, 01:00 PM
buy a 'lectric blanket.

Petro-Sooner
2/2/2007, 01:02 PM
buy a women.

ok

Fugue
2/2/2007, 01:03 PM
holy crap, that did not come out the way I meant for it too

but it was true, wasn't it? :texan:

Mongo
2/2/2007, 01:04 PM
but it was true, wasn't it? :texan:

yes:( :O

royalfan5
2/2/2007, 01:11 PM
This thread needs a Reverend Horton Heat Reference. It now has one.