PDA

View Full Version : FAT NO MORE!

setem
2/1/2007, 10:27 PM
Hopefully this thread is going to be the start of something great and I pray the greatest so far. This will be my week by week log of my work out and fat loss plan. I ask for your support and encouragement.

Every Tuesday and Thursday I have been walking/running a mile and doing some upper body. I also play some basketball for about an hour. 2 games most of the time.

I am on weight watchers and I have shed and gained back 6lbs over the last 2 weeks. I attribute the gain back to nothing being true to my diet over the weekend. I am down 4lbs now from 287. I would like to get down to 220 and maybe beyond. If I could get down to 190 life will be good! I will be attending OU next fall and if I could be is some really good shape, it will almost be like starting a new life. I am a good lookin man...besides being fat.

I coach high school baseball and I know that my weight is a cause for some of my players to doubt me. I would like to be on the same level as them or even better. My weight is what held me back from doing anything with my baseball career. I have not grand story of how I could have been a start...I just was lazy and couldn't hack it.

Now is the time to change.This should be a good thing and I hope everyone can get into this and help me on my journey. If I back slide or want to take a break feel free to push me back on track.

Who has any ideas and tips for staying shedding the pounds?

I am going to do it!

God Bless and Thank You in advance...SPREAD IT ON!

Mongo
2/1/2007, 10:30 PM
287? Pffft, call us when you top 3 bills Skinny. I can lose 4-6 lbs with a bowel movement.

setem
2/1/2007, 10:37 PM
287? Pffft, call us when you top 3 bills Skinny. I can lose 4-6 lbs with a bowel movement.

I lose weight doing a turd flip all the time! We are no so different!

Viking Kitten
2/1/2007, 10:39 PM
Eat 1,800 - 2,000 calories a day, spread out over five to six meals, starting with breakfast and every 2-3 hours thereafter. Drink a lot of water and some green tea everyday. Be patient. The weight will come off. I swear.

setem
2/1/2007, 10:40 PM
Thanks

I have heard about the green tea. I have been drinking sugar free red bull before I work out.

Viking Kitten
2/1/2007, 10:44 PM
And stay away from Guinness.

D'OH.

setem
2/1/2007, 10:47 PM
And stay away from Guinness.

D'OH.

Do not ever speak those words ever again!

Viking Kitten
2/1/2007, 10:49 PM
Okay... learn to enjoy Guinness in moderation. I'll let you know when I figure how to do that.

SoonerInKCMO
2/1/2007, 10:49 PM
Weight. Training.

Building muscle takes a lot of calories.

Maintainig muscle takes a lot of calories.

Immediately after weight training, eat/drink something with a high glycemic index to prevent your body from cannibalizing other muscles to feed the ones you just worked. Then, eat a lot of low-fat protein to start the muscle building process. I like to drink some skim chocolate milk on the way home from the gym and eat some tuna when I get back to the house. It works great.

It'd probably work better for me if I went to the gym more often. :O

setem
2/1/2007, 10:52 PM
I dont want to build muscle I am pretty damn strong as it is. I need to lose the L B S's!

SoonerInKCMO
2/1/2007, 10:54 PM
Okay... learn to enjoy Guinness in moderation. I'll let you know when I figure how to do that.

Yeaaaah... why don't you just let us know when you learn how to enjoy sobriety. :D

Like I'm one to talk. :O

Viking Kitten
2/1/2007, 10:55 PM
I dont want to build muscle I am pretty damn strong as it is. I need to lose the L B S's!

Cardio to burn fat. 30 minutes, 4 times a week.

PhxSooner
2/1/2007, 11:00 PM
Cardio to burn fat. 30 minutes, 4 times a week.
That's what I've got to do. I had one doc tell me 1 1/2 hours a day. When would I find that kind of time? If I have a free hour from the kids, I'm taking a nap.

tbl
2/1/2007, 11:02 PM
I drank my first quart of green tea today, in one sitting. Popped in some sweet and low and shabang! For me, I'm basically trying to replace muscle with the fat I have left over (primarily love handles and a little bit on the belly).

If you do nothing else, STAY AWAY FROM SIMPLE CARBS. That's the key. Simple carbs (especially sugars) just kill you. Matter of fact, it's best to really cut down on carbs quite a bit, though keep some good complex carbs like broccoli, celery, wheat bread, brown rice, etc in your diet in moderate quantities. Ultimately, good quality protein foods with low fat is where it's at (though you still want some good fats in your diet). If you go to Wal-Mart you can get a big jug of Whey Protein (chocolate flavored) for 11 bucks (really good deal). Each scoop gives you about 23G protein. Just mix it with water and down it. I double the scoops and do that twice a day to replace a meal. BTW, the VK suggestion of smaller portioned meals throughout the day is right on the money. (http://www.bodybuilding4u.com/fat_burning_tips_1.htm#fat_burning_tip_8)

Here's a great website for some tips on most anything you'll need (workout regiments, diet programs, etc). www.bodybuilding4u.com

Also, snort 1 line of meth a day. I'm at the point where I mainline it, but I wouldn't suggest that starting off.

setem
2/1/2007, 11:04 PM
I do #19 program on the tred. I burns 300 calories over 30 mins. with a warm up and cool down of 3 mins each. Its a good work out. Plus the basketball get me pumping too.

tbl
2/1/2007, 11:06 PM
Cardio is definitely key. Get the diet right and keep up the cardio and you'll be a sexy beast.

soonerboomer93
2/1/2007, 11:06 PM
cardio burns more calories, weight training continues to burn calories post workout longer then cardio

mix the 2

I do 25 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weight training (high reps, multiple sets on a cycle) right now. I lose weight fine during the week, but pick up some each weekend (****in beer)

setem
2/1/2007, 11:42 PM
So it begins!

SoonerTerry
2/1/2007, 11:52 PM
I lost 139 Lbs on the Jenny Crack diet...

OklahomaTuba
2/2/2007, 12:05 AM
Beer & softdrinks are the debil.

I lost 15 lbs just by quitting softdrinks. Beer just screws me over everyweekend, so I swiched over to wine and i havn't noticed any problems.

One glass of rioja, pinot or a nice cab a night does me just fine.

soonerboomer93
2/2/2007, 12:25 AM
eh, if I switch away from beer, i've just doubled my bar tabs

GottaHavePride
2/2/2007, 12:43 AM
Not necessarily - you don't have to drink nearly as much liquor, so you probably break about even if you do it right.

And I figured VK would know that Guinness Draught only has ~126 calories. Less than most soft drinks.

And this thread should really be titled FAT JIHAD 2007.

setem
2/2/2007, 12:48 AM
Not necessarily - you don't have to drink nearly as much liquor, so you probably break about even if you do it right.

And I figured VK would know that Guinness Draught only has ~126 calories. Less than most soft drinks.

And this thread should really be titled FAT JIHAD 2007.

LQTM!

Mods please change the name of this thread!

FAT JIHAD 2007 makes me laugh!

GottaHavePride
2/2/2007, 12:54 AM
Well, I just figured Fat Jihads have been goin on around here since at least 2005, and this is perfect since you're even playing basketball along with the working out.

tommieharris91
2/2/2007, 12:56 AM
Run, run, run. Lotsa cardio to burn fat. Stay away from sugars. Drink lotsa water.

Something else to do. Go to a health-food store and start taking a vitamin. I take 2 a day, sit on my ***, and lost 5 lbs a month. Then again, I'm pretty thin...

soonerboomer93
2/2/2007, 12:57 AM
i normally drink 3-5 beers at the bar

I would drink atleast the same amount of mixed drinks

hite is $4, exfeel is $5 (lite version, but not as tasty)

mixed drinks $7

setem
2/2/2007, 12:57 AM
Run, run, run. Lotsa cardio to burn fat. Stay away from sugars. Drink lotsa water.

Something else to do. Go to a health-food store and start taking a vitamin. I take 2 a day, sit on my ***, and lost 5 lbs a month. Then again, I'm pretty thin...

Any vitamin at all?

GottaHavePride
2/2/2007, 12:59 AM
Multivitamin. If you can find one specifically geared towards men, even better.

soonerboomer93
2/2/2007, 01:00 AM
a good multivitamin (actually, I just take one a day mens health), along with 1000mg of vitamin c (double that when i'm sick)

I'm also taking 1 aspirin a day, but i'm like older and ****

setem
2/2/2007, 01:04 AM
Multivitamin. If you can find one specifically geared towards men, even better.

I am gonna get one geared towards Dewds!

tommieharris91
2/2/2007, 01:09 AM
Any vitamin at all?

It has to be a multivitamin. There are many, many vitamins and supplements, so you may get lost when you walk into a GNC or Akin's. You would probably be well off asking someone who works there, but they may give you more than what you need.

setem
2/2/2007, 01:18 AM
HGH?

Anabolic...

Viking Kitten
2/2/2007, 10:16 AM

Of course I know that. That's one of the reasons I drink it. The problem is, when you drink 10 of those without batting an eyelash, that adds up to 1260 calories, which just happens to be the daily total calorie allotment for female trying to lose weight.

Replacing all food with Guinness, while certainly an intriguing idea, just does not sound very nutritious to me. :(

MiccoMacey
2/2/2007, 10:24 AM
Weigh yourself.

Start in San Francisco.

Run to Atlanta, non-stop.

Run back to San Francisco.

Weigh yourself again.

100% guaranteed or your money back. :D

TheHumanAlphabet
2/2/2007, 10:40 AM

Dr. just raised holy hell with my 3 bills. Damn this international traveling and working... I really need to do something before I go boom.

Setem - hang in there, once I lost 70 lbs on WW - it does work.

IB4OU2
2/2/2007, 10:43 AM
Iv'e lost over 33 lbs. in the last 3.5 months. I stopped drinking beer, soft drinks and I'm eating much smaller portions of food that I really like. My weight is lower now than it has been in 20 years, my blood pressure and cholesterol is down more than it has been in years and I'm feeling pretty good for an old fart of 52 years. Hang in there you can do it Setem. :)

frankensooner
2/2/2007, 10:49 AM
I am on week 5 of Body for Life. I have only lost 8 lbs, but my whole body has been re-shaped by converting the fat to muscle and I feel fantastic. I started at 190 though. Good luck on your fat jihad.

setem
2/2/2007, 01:16 PM
On WW I can eat 35 points a day with 35 flex points that I can use over the week if I go over my limit. I started last monday and I have only gone over my limit one day. Durring the weekend I drank a boat load of beer and I guess negated any progress.

This weekend I hope keep it cool and drink in moderation.

MiccoMacey
2/2/2007, 02:36 PM
Set backs happen. Don't let that derail your overall intent.

You're going to do great.

setem
2/6/2007, 08:52 PM
I think I did better this Sunday than I have ever done on any major sporting even that I have ever watched. During the season I ate so much good food that was bad for me on game day. It was pretty bad guys I was eating turkeys and ribs almost every game day. I had a few ribs and some snacked through out the day. I may have eaten more than I should have but it was better than most days. I drank on Friday night but I stayed clean the rest of the weekend.

I ran/jogged for just a tad under 10mins today. For some reason my calf/shin area hurt really bad after a bit of time on the treadmill. I did some upper body and then played basketball for about 1 and a half. I shot around and bit by myself and then played a pick up game, after I shot around some more. My legs did not hurt much while I was shooting hoops.

I am up 3lbs but I feel really good and I am starting to feel more fit. I don't know about the gain in weight but as long as I feel good I think that is all that matters...right?

One of these days I will lose some weight and it will stay down.

Do any of you think the basketball is of any help?

SPREAD IT ON!

I thank anyone who cares about what I am trying to do.

soonerboomer93
2/6/2007, 09:01 PM
weight gain at first is not uncommon. I went up a couple kilos before I started to drop. This happens if you get some good muscle gain right away because muscle is heavier then fat.

I myself have a hard time on the treadmill. I had to use it last night and lasted 10 minutes before my calves were just killing me from cramping. Luckily an eliptical freed up and I finished my cardio on that.

setem
2/6/2007, 09:03 PM
eliptical...what is this eliptical???

BajaOklahoma
2/6/2007, 09:08 PM
http://www.smoothfitness.com/elliptical-trainers/?GCID=S16626x023&KEYWORD=elliptical+machine&MATCHTYPE=search

SoonerGirl06
2/6/2007, 09:41 PM

To help lose weight, cut back on the grains and sugars. Also include a salad with your meals. Drinking plenty of water everyday is very important. It helps keep your metabolism going.

SoonerGirl06
2/6/2007, 09:49 PM
Any vitamin at all?

There are various vitamins that can help with weight loss. If you go to a health food store and talk to one of their associates, they may be able to help you with determining which one(s) may suit your needs.

Oldnslo
2/6/2007, 10:00 PM
You Go, setem!

I've been on my annual February diet. Lost 3 lbs so far, but the Great News is:

I've convinced Apollo's to add a Saturday morning class for adults! Mikey Burkett is going to teach a boxing class from 10-11. Dude's a pro; was in the Lion's Den with Ken Shamrock back when that meant something.

I. Am. Stoked!

Each class is probably good for 600-700 calories for me. Plus, I might learn something...

Melo
2/6/2007, 10:26 PM
Since Ive been home, Ive been working on losing my extra college weight. Ive limited myself to one coke a day (which is better than the 3-4 I was used to), and I try to keep healthier things around to snack on. Ive never been able to eat a lot of food in one sitting, I usually end up doing the 'grazing' thing. Plus, I get on the treadmill, set it at the highest incline and get a fast walk going - burn anywhere from 150-300 calories a day. Still waiting for my little bit of tummy curve to go away, then I'll be set.

I also started taking this new medication. Its been doing a little number on me. Chest pains, stomach cramping, etc. Doc told me to take the med with food, or else it would upset my tummy, but taking with or without food, prior to food or after doesnt matter. Noticeable weight loss with that, though a VERY noticeable gain in appetite. In the past 3 days of taking the medicine, I have dropped about 2.5 pounds. Not exactly good news, or ladylike, but whatever. S**t happens.

Anyways - always a work in progress. Th good part is that I have more energy, and I love the excuse to go buy more clothes! :D Plus the boyfriend hugged me the other day and commented on how my tummy was flatter. :D :D :D

Best of luck, Setem. Sounds like youre doing good things. The key is to make it a habit, and find ways to enjoy it. I always hated walking on the treadmill and watching what I ate, and it was easy to skip it a night or two, but doing things like listening to music or watching my favorite show while 'working out' really helped.

setem
2/8/2007, 10:18 PM
I did not make it into the gym today! I should have gone but my shins are f-ing killing me! I have some pretty bad shin splints. I should have gone in anways though. I AM A FAILURE!!!!

I keed I keed!

I ate pretty healthy today though! No junk!

I will be back in the gym on Tuesday!

OUTromBoNado
2/9/2007, 10:25 AM
Yup, I'm with you guys on this one too. I just started to work out again. My goal is to go from my current weight of 208 to 160-175...hopefully with some good muscle tone in there. I really want to get rid of this gut.

Instead of just hitting things hard from the get go, I'm taking small steps. First, I'm getting to 1 Dr. Pepper a day, from the normal two. Right now, I'm drinking one of those Lipton lemon tea things (about 12 oz) and one 12oz DP. My goal is eliminate my addiction to DP. I want to be able to drink DP when I want, but not be tied to it.

Second, I'm going to stop going back for second helpings. Unless, I'm eating stew. All bets are off on that. I figure eating small portions will be another good step, then I'll follow that by eating better foods altogether.

Next, it's time for the exercise. I'm trying to decide whether I want to follow a three-day or five-day per week plan. I guess it depends on how intense I want to go. Yesterday, I went and worked out for the first time in a long time. I only did 4.0 miles in 20 minutes in the stationary bike. I know I can do more, but I want to ease into things, mostly for the sake of my joints. They need to get used to that kind of movement again. But, my eventual workout goals are 30 minutes of cardio combined with 15-20 minutes of weights. After my workout yesterday, I was really surprised how quick the 20 minutes went by. I took my new .mp3 player, and it really made the time fly. One of the problems I've always had about exercising is not being able to find a partner and go with someone. Tough to stay motivated. But the tunes keep my going...I make sure to load up a playlist with intense music, which will make me concentrate and get intense when I work out.

Speaking of motivation...maybe we should get some kind of SO Weight Loss Compeition type-thing. All of us that are on the Fat Jihad get a contest going or something for "the biggest loser." Put some vCash on it. In fact, if I ever get a sponsorship, I wouldn't mind putting some vCash on this weight loss stuff. Anything for motivation.

SoonerGirl06
2/9/2007, 10:30 AM
I did not make it into the gym today! I should have gone but my shins are f-ing killing me! I have some pretty bad shin splints. I should have gone in anways though. I AM A FAILURE!!!!

I keed I keed!

I ate pretty healthy today though! No junk!

I will be back in the gym on Tuesday!

One day of not making it into the gym does not signify failure... just don't make a habit of it... :)

Just hang in there and keep up the great work!

Oldnslo
2/9/2007, 11:36 AM
One day of not making it into the gym does not signify failure... just don't make a habit of it... :)

Just hang in there and keep up the great work!
QFT

I missed kickboxing M and then again on W. Had to be a Dad on Monday and had to be a lawyer on W. Stuff happens. But I'll be at it hard on Sat and then all next week.

Let your shin splints heal up. Do something that isn't running. Pain = workout killer

SoonerStormchaser
2/9/2007, 12:01 PM
We seem to have the opposite problem...you're trying to lose weight...I'm trying futilely to gain weight.

setem
2/9/2007, 12:12 PM
Yup, I'm with you guys on this one too. I just started to work out again. My goal is to go from my current weight of 208 to 160-175...hopefully with some good muscle tone in there. I really want to get rid of this gut.

Instead of just hitting things hard from the get go, I'm taking small steps. First, I'm getting to 1 Dr. Pepper a day, from the normal two. Right now, I'm drinking one of those Lipton lemon tea things (about 12 oz) and one 12oz DP. My goal is eliminate my addiction to DP. I want to be able to drink DP when I want, but not be tied to it.

Second, I'm going to stop going back for second helpings. Unless, I'm eating stew. All bets are off on that. I figure eating small portions will be another good step, then I'll follow that by eating better foods altogether.

Next, it's time for the exercise. I'm trying to decide whether I want to follow a three-day or five-day per week plan. I guess it depends on how intense I want to go. Yesterday, I went and worked out for the first time in a long time. I only did 4.0 miles in 20 minutes in the stationary bike. I know I can do more, but I want to ease into things, mostly for the sake of my joints. They need to get used to that kind of movement again. But, my eventual workout goals are 30 minutes of cardio combined with 15-20 minutes of weights. After my workout yesterday, I was really surprised how quick the 20 minutes went by. I took my new .mp3 player, and it really made the time fly. One of the problems I've always had about exercising is not being able to find a partner and go with someone. Tough to stay motivated. But the tunes keep my going...I make sure to load up a playlist with intense music, which will make me concentrate and get intense when I work out.

Speaking of motivation...maybe we should get some kind of SO Weight Loss Compeition type-thing. All of us that are on the Fat Jihad get a contest going or something for "the biggest loser." Put some vCash on it. In fact, if I ever get a sponsorship, I wouldn't mind putting some vCash on this weight loss stuff. Anything for motivation.

!!!EXTREME!!!

I wouldnt mind being in the weight loss comp! I am thinking of becoming a sponsor as well.

I hope you do well in losing weight man! You can do it!

SPREAD IT ON!!!

NormanPride
2/9/2007, 12:37 PM
Keep the WW up, buddy. I started back in August and I've lost about 45lbs so far. You go in waves, it seems like... I lose for awhile, then gain a bit and sit there... then lose some more. Rinse, repeat, ad infinitum.

The key to anything like this is you can't view it as a temporary thing. Look at the meal decisions you're making and view them as what you're going to do the rest of your life. I've cut out sodas almost entirely, and I've made a promise to not go back. Diet sodas are fine for when I need a sugar kick, and I've always liked drinking water or tea anyway. Also, try to cook at home a lot. You can control portions easier, and control how much fat goes into a food that way.

If your shins are hurting, try using a recumbent bike to take the pressure off. That's what I use for cardio because I get tendonitis in my knees. Also, get a fitness assessment so you know where your heart rate ranges are.

OUTromBoNado
2/9/2007, 02:21 PM
...because I get tendonitis in my knees.

I thought that was my line.

NormanPride
2/9/2007, 02:31 PM
I thought that was my line.

:bsmf: