PDA

View Full Version : How do you teacher someone to swallow a pill?

Soonrboy
2/1/2007, 07:46 PM
I know this is setting up the tee, but my 12 year old has a cold and we've tried every trick we know to get him to swallow a pill...any advice?

BajaOklahoma
2/1/2007, 07:51 PM
How big is the pill?
You can practice with redhots - they are the size of sudafed.
We usually put the pill in a spoon of applesauce or pudding, if the pill is small enough.
There is also a cup available at most drug stores that can help teach the kids to swallow a pill. I'll try to find a picture.
http://www.strangenewproducts.com/2006/03/pill-takers-cup.html

Also, capsules float, so you point the chin down when you swallow the water.
Pills are heavy, so you point the chin up.

olevetonahill
2/1/2007, 07:59 PM
I know this is setting up the tee, but my 12 year old has a cold and we've tried every trick we know to get him to swallow a pill...any advice?
12 Years old ? Yove got to be trying to pull a sicem

soonerboomer93
2/1/2007, 08:02 PM
hold their mouth and nose shut, just like you would a dog/cat :D

Soonrboy
2/1/2007, 08:06 PM
12 Years old ? Yove got to be trying to pull a sicem

It's prevent defense. I don't remember learning how, and I'm sure as hell not teaching him the right way.

tbl
2/1/2007, 08:19 PM
I can't wait to see Deans advice.

olevetonahill
2/1/2007, 08:24 PM
Is this a CHILD ? you know human and stuff ? 12 YEARS old ? 12 YEARS ?

Frozen Sooner
2/1/2007, 08:25 PM
Punch him in the throat, then toss the pill in while he's gasping.

Dude, seriously, 12? Just hand him the pill, tell him to put it on his tongue, then pass him a glass of water and tell him to figure it out. I assume your son knows how to drink a glass of water, right?

leavingthezoo
2/1/2007, 09:15 PM
death or pill. one choice is the easiest to swallow. :D

Sooner_Bob
2/1/2007, 09:18 PM
I wonder what else the kid doesn't know how to do yet . . . hmmmm.

olevetonahill
2/1/2007, 09:19 PM
Ok Ive waited a reasonable time . Smack the little mother****er up side the head , say put this in your mouth , If it comes out again Im gonna smack you again , repeat as often as neccessary .
Now , a 12 yr old that doesnt know how to take a pill , It aint really his fault . Its YOURs

OUinFLA
2/1/2007, 09:34 PM
http://www.buytikitorches.com/images/funnel-small_1.jpg

+

http://www.alpineh2o.com/images/water/260.jpg

GottaHavePride
2/1/2007, 09:41 PM
http://media.lawrence.com/img/photos/2004/10/13/3_t450.jpg

Boffingham
2/1/2007, 10:06 PM
get a supository (spelling?)

1stTimeCaller
2/1/2007, 10:15 PM
put it in a piece of cheese

tbl
2/1/2007, 10:19 PM
Wow... I didn't notice the 12 year old part of the post. No need for Dean. You guys have pretty much come through in superb fashion.

King Crimson
2/1/2007, 11:06 PM
teachers are only liberal brainwashers.

hear me.

i know.

Pricetag
2/1/2007, 11:54 PM
get a supository (spelling?)
Yep. Put them both out there, and give him the choice.

A friend of mine was clear out of high school before he learned to swallow pills. We made quite a bit of fun of him for that.

SoonerTerry
2/2/2007, 02:42 AM
Crunch the pill up and mix it in applesause.. about a spoonfull. Then feed him the spoonfull of applesause followed by his favorite drink.

soonerboomer93
2/2/2007, 03:18 AM
he's 12 years old, not 12 months old

yermom
2/2/2007, 04:00 AM
i'm pretty sure i taught myself this one... but i guess trying to figure it out when your throat is swollen and/or sore might not be fun

i'd be telling him it's either figure it out or keep feeling crappy, figure it out fast or you'll see why you swallow it instead of chewing them...

or maybe a liquid would be better?

personally, i hate the way cold medicine makes me feel, i'd rather be sick

AlbqSooner
2/2/2007, 07:29 AM
My dad was a physician. When I got strep and had difficulty trying to swallow a HUGE penicillin tablet, he said ok, if you can't swallow it we will get it into you another way. He retrieved the old glass syringe and a 5 inch, 14 guage needle and put them on to boil. I learned to swallow pills.

whatsername
2/2/2007, 07:40 AM
personally, i hate the way cold medicine makes me feel, i'd rather be sick
Oh, I totally agree with you on this one!!

I will take a night-time pill or Nyquil or something before bed, but none of that daytime crap. I'd have to be feeling reallllllllllllllllllllllly bad.

My son figured out how to swallow a pill after having a couple dissolve in his mouth. :)

Soonrboy
2/2/2007, 07:46 AM
All right, Cool!!! Thanks for the advice, o'saged ones. Good god. Now I gotta go smack my kid across the head for not doing something right. Then smack him again when he messes up.

Seriously, the kid is never sick. When he was, he always was prescribed by his pediatrician liquid stuff. I can't wait to smack him because he can't swallow a pill. That'll make me a better parent, I just know it.

Vaevictis
2/2/2007, 08:20 AM
You have to get the pill far enough into the back of your throat that you're past the point where the gag reflex kicks in and the swallowing reflex takes over.

The best way is to learn to relax your throat (supressing the gag reflex) so you can wash it back with the water. It helps if you literally throw it to the back of your throat.

Before I learned to do that, I'd literally just shove it back with my fingers and suffer the gag reflex. It's not fun, but it works.

SoonerJack
2/2/2007, 08:55 AM
^ yeah, the throw-it-way-back-there pill toss was my means of learning. Of course if you accidentally score a hole in one on the windpipe, then it kinda sucks...

Norm In Norman
2/2/2007, 08:55 AM
I'm not trying to be an *** like everyone else on here, but I seriously didn't know you had to learn how to swallow a pill. I can't remember this ever happening. I just sort of did it I guess.

sooner_born_1960
2/2/2007, 08:58 AM
I can swallow a pill just fine, but I don't mind chewing them up. I've never had one that was so bad I couldn't eat it.

landrun
2/2/2007, 09:01 AM
This place is great. ;)

If I really need advice, I'm never going to ask for it. You don't get much help. But I might ask for help on something just to read the great jokes. :D

Mjcpr
2/2/2007, 09:55 AM
Ask Howzit, he'll swallow anything.

Soonrboy
2/2/2007, 10:46 AM
I'm not trying to be an *** like everyone else on here, but I seriously didn't know you had to learn how to swallow a pill. I can't remember this ever happening. I just sort of did it I guess.

I didn't either, but he has some sort of mind block on it. He can wolf down a sandwich in no time flat, so lord knows it's not like he can't swallow chunks of food.