PDA

View Full Version : Way to go, Boston....

OUAndy1807
2/1/2007, 12:48 PM
didn't know if this had been posted yet, but someone at the Cartoon Network is definitely getting a raise for this one.

http://wbztv.com/topstories/local_story_031135507.html

Frozen Sooner
2/1/2007, 12:50 PM
WBZ spoke with the Berdvosky's lawyer and legal guardian Michael Rich, who said the Mass. College of Art student did cooperate with police. Rich also tells us the suspect is an exchange student from Belarus.

Wow, I didn't know I was admitted to the bar in Mass.

OUAndy1807
2/1/2007, 12:50 PM
also, watch the videos, it's hilarious how bad they overreacted. Out of the 9 cities they did this in, Boston is the only one that flipped out.

OUAndy1807
2/1/2007, 12:52 PM
I'm tempted:
http://search.ebay.com/aqua-teen-hunger-force-sign_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

Frozen Sooner
2/1/2007, 12:57 PM
Obviously, there's only one thing we can do in response to this terrorist attack by the Mooninites:

Bomb Mars.

OUAndy1807
2/1/2007, 12:59 PM
OH NO!!! A LIGHT BRIGHT!!!!

SicEmBaylor
2/1/2007, 01:06 PM
A press conference with the two guys responsible was on Fox News just now. They were joking around about their hair and cutting up. I think they'd help themselves more by being a bit serious.

bri
2/1/2007, 01:17 PM
That is, dare I say...wicked retahhhded.

tbl
2/1/2007, 01:37 PM
This is getting ridiculous.

2 men held on bond in Boston hoax case

By JAY LINDSAY, Associated Press Writer 27 minutes ago

BOSTON - A judge ordered two men held on bond Thursday for allegedly placing electronic advertising devices around the city in a publicity stunt that went awry and stirred fears of terrorism, shutting down parts of Boston.
ADVERTISEMENT

Peter Berdovsky, 27, and Sean Stevens, 28, were held on $2,500 cash bond each after they pleaded not guilty to placing a hoax device and disorderly conduct for a device found Wednesday at a subway station.

Officials found 38 blinking electronic signs promoting the Cartoon Network TV show "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" on bridges and other high-profile spots across the city Wednesday, prompting the closing of a highway and the deployment of bomb squads. The surreal series is about a talking milkshake, a box of fries and a meatball. The network is a division of Turner Broadcasting Systems Inc.

"It's clear the intent was to get attention by causing fear and unrest that there was a bomb in that location," Assistant Attorney General John Grossman said at their arraignment.

The 1-foot tall signs, which were lit up at night, resembled a circuit board, with protruding wires and batteries. Most depicted a boxy, cartoon character giving passersby the finger — a more obvious sight when darkness fell.

The men did not speak or enter their own pleas, but they appeared amused and smiled as the prosecutor talked about the device found at Sullivan Station underneath Interstate 93, looking like it had C-4 explosive.

"The appearance of this device and its location are crucial," Grossman said. "This device looks like a bomb."

Some in the gallery snickered.

Outside the courthouse, Michael Rich, a lawyer for both of the men, said the description of a bomb-like device could be used for any electronic device.

"If somebody had left a VCR on the ground it would have been a device with wires, electronic components and a power source," he said.

Boston officials were livid when the devices were discovered.

"It is outrageous, in a post 9/11 world, that a company would use this type of marketing scheme," Mayor Thomas Menino said Wednesday. "I am prepared to take any and all legal action against Turner Broadcasting and its affiliates for any and all expenses incurred during the response to today's incidents."

Berdovsky, an artist, told The Boston Globe he was hired by a marketing company and said he was "kind of freaked out" by the furor.

"I find it kind of ridiculous that they're making these statements on TV that we must not be safe from terrorism, because they were up there for three weeks and no one noticed. It's pretty commonsensical to look at them and say this is a piece of art and installation," he said.

Fans of the show mocked authorities for what they called an overreaction.

About a dozen fans gathered outside Charlestown District Court on Thursday morning with signs saying "1-31-07 Never Forget" and "Free Peter."

"We're the laughing stock," said Tracy O'Connor, 34.

"It's almost too easy to be a terrorist these days," said Jennifer Mason, 26. "You stick a box on a corner and you can shut down a city."

Authorities vowed to hold Turner accountable for what Menino said was "corporate greed," that led to at least $750,000 in police costs.

As soon as Turner realized the Boston problem around 5 p.m., it said, law enforcement officials were told of their locations in 10 cities where it said the devices had been placed for two to three weeks: Boston, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, Ore., Austin, Texas, San Francisco and Philadelphia.

"We apologize to the citizens of Boston that part of a marketing campaign was mistaken for a public danger," said Phil Kent, chairman of Turner, a division of Time Warner Inc.

Kent said the marketing company that placed the signs, Interference Inc., was ordered to remove them immediately.

Interference had no comment. A woman who answered the phone at the New York-based firm's offices Wednesday afternoon said the firm's CEO was out of town and would not be able to comment until Thursday.

Messages seeking additional comment from the Atlanta-based Cartoon Network were left with several publicists.

Authorities are investigating whether Turner or other companies should be criminally charged, Attorney General Martha Coakley said. "We're not going to let this go without looking at the further roots of how this happened to cause the panic in this city," Coakley said.

In Seattle and several suburbs, the removal of the signs was low-key. "We haven't had any calls to 911 regarding this," Seattle police spokesman Sean Whitcomb said Wednesday.

Police in Philadelphia said they believed their city had 56 devices.

The New York Police Department removed 41 of the devices — 38 in Manhattan and three in Brooklyn, according to spokesman Paul Browne. The NYPD had not received any complaints. But when it became aware of the situation, it contacted Cartoon Network, which provided the locations so the devices could be removed.

"Aqua Teen Hunger Force" is a cartoon with a cultish following that airs as part of a block of programs for adults on the Cartoon Network. A feature length film based on the show is slated for release March 23.

Really, Mayor??? You're willing to do that b/c they put a couple of advertising boxes around your crappy city? Unbelievable... It makes me think the thought behind the term "Post 9/11 world" is slowly leading us to the institution of Big Brother.

This is a huge overreaction. HUGE. Unbelievable...

NormanPride
2/1/2007, 02:12 PM
How do you mistake that for a bomb? I mean, seriously... It's a frigging lite-brite.

Beef
2/1/2007, 02:33 PM
A press conference with the two guys responsible was on Fox News just now. They were joking around about their hair and cutting up. I think they'd help themselves more by being a bit serious.
In their defense, they were told not to say anything about the case by their attorney and informed the press that they would not be talking about the case, yet reporters kept asking questions about it.Are they supposed to just stand up there and say no comment until reporters stop asking them questions?

SCOUT
2/1/2007, 02:42 PM
It makes me think the thought behind the term "Post 9/11 world" is slowly leading us to the institution of Big Brother.

This is a huge overreaction. HUGE. Unbelievable...

These two sentences back to back made me giggle.:D

yermom
2/1/2007, 02:43 PM
i think they are just nervous there, i mean they don't even need bombs for their tunnels to start collapsing

WILBURJIM
2/1/2007, 02:59 PM
Press conference from Fox via Youtube. This is greatness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx2ytr2Oyv4

tbl
2/1/2007, 03:14 PM
These two sentences back to back made me giggle.:D
That's what I was talking about. I was all hopped up on 2 huge glasses of green tea. I was apologizing in advance. :D:D:D:D

tbl
2/1/2007, 03:18 PM
Press conference from Fox via Youtube. This is greatness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx2ytr2Oyv4
That's not a hair question, I'm sorry.
That's also not a hair question.

:D:D:D

Scott D
2/1/2007, 03:24 PM
anyone else notice the huge apology blurb on Adult Swim last night because of it?

tbl
2/1/2007, 03:29 PM
Please tell me it was sarcastic. I'd hate to see those guys actually get serious, especially over this.

Scott D
2/1/2007, 03:35 PM
actually it was a serious apology.

it's also the intro (http://www.adultswim.com/) on their website.

NormanPride
2/1/2007, 03:37 PM
How pathetic is that? The reporters know they're not getting any answers out and they still keep asking stupid questions... And was that the Fox commentator talking about the interviewees being irresponsible? :rolleyes:

Scott D
2/1/2007, 03:38 PM
How pathetic is that? The reporters know they're not getting any answers out and they still keep asking stupid questions... And was that the Fox commentator talking about the interviewees being irresponsible? :rolleyes:

it's like media day at the Super Bowl :D

Penguin
2/1/2007, 03:49 PM
The Cartoon Network should sue Boston for blowing up their ad.

GrapevineSooner
2/1/2007, 03:51 PM
They don't call him Mumbles for nothing.

UPDATE: Heh (http://www.universalhub.com/node/7463)

Rhino
2/1/2007, 05:47 PM
Of course, no one seems to be making a big deal about the two fake pipe bombs (http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=180349) found yesterday in Boston.

Just the Lite Brites.

bri
2/1/2007, 05:48 PM
Who the hell promotes their movie with fake pipe bombs?

yermom
2/1/2007, 05:50 PM
Of course, no one seems to be making a big deal about the two fake pipe bombs (http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=180349) found yesterday in Boston.

Just the Lite Brites.

The simulated pipe bomb discovered on the Longfellow Bridge briefly suspended Red Line MBTA service between Kendall Square and Park Street at about 2 p.m., said spokesman Joe Pesaturo. Traffic on the bridge was limited to one lane in both directions during that same period, state police said.

but the Lite Brites they are saying caused problems from 8:30am to 5ish

idiots

Rhino
2/1/2007, 05:51 PM
Who the hell promotes their movie with fake pipe bombs? ? (http://imdb.com/title/tt0923622/)

bri
2/1/2007, 05:54 PM
Heh.

NormanPride
2/1/2007, 05:58 PM
? (http://imdb.com/title/tt0923622/)

That movie is so going to bomb.

EDIT: And I'm going to bomb this forum's stupid flood control! :rcmad:

OUAndy1807
2/1/2007, 06:54 PM
man, I hadn't watched the Keller clip on that page. what a f***o.

man, they really lost their ****.

OUAndy1807
2/1/2007, 07:08 PM
holy crap, I can't get over this. this is not only a great example of not only how stupid people can be, but what is wrong with the press.

All you hear from the press is: "infurriated everyone from the Mayor to 10's of thousands of people" and "furror touched off" and "placing hoax devices" and "sinister threat" and "setting off a scare" and "pipe bombs(????)" and "might be mistaken for bombs" and "in a post 9/11 world"

and all you hear from the people on the street (in the reports themselves): "it's a light bright, how could anyone think it's a bomb?" and "we find it amusing, cops freaking out about light brights" and "it sparked my curiosity" and "it's not something to be terrifyied over or call the bomb squad about, it's a light bright"

I also like how they downplay the fact that they did this in 8 others citys and none of them freaked out and lost their ****.

Boston, although home to Havard, BC, MIT, etc... must house some of the dumbest people in the world.

Frozen Sooner
2/1/2007, 07:27 PM
Two words: Ben Affleck.

OUAndy1807
2/2/2007, 09:40 PM
these guys are my heroes
http://youtube.com/watch?v=X2fGzmphx4U

IronSooner
2/2/2007, 10:36 PM
I'm failing to see why they need the sympathy of the press. Who cares what they think.

I especially like "Are we being drawn into a performance right now?"
"That's really your call [dumbass]."

OUAndy1807
2/2/2007, 11:02 PM
I like how the news people feel like they deserve respect. You can tell that they are completely put out that the press conference (which I'm sure they were asking for) wasn't happening the way they wanted it to. What did they want the guys to say "no comment" over and over, or grovel and take verbal beatings from the talking heads about how they are terrible people?

Nowadays, newcasters are just a bunch of over-hyping ratings whores.