PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys Fans BEWARE!!!

OUSKINS
2/1/2007, 11:51 AM
From my blog...

www.edkleese.blogspot.com

A Coach From Heaven

Sometimes, God is a funny dude. Just when you think it can't get any worse, a dose of happiness falls into your lap. And just when you think it can't get any better, a dose of sad reality comes your way. I think God may be about to give Washington Redskins fans a bit of an off-season pick-me-up.

It was in the winter of 1994. The Redskins were coming off a horrible 1993 season. They were a shell of the team that won three Super Bowls in a decade under Joe Gibbs (the first time around). It was time for a change. At the time, the rival Dallas Cowboys were taking the league by storm. A big part of their success was due to their dynamic and sometimes unstoppable offense. The architect of that offense? Assistant coach Norv Turner.

The Redskins weren't about to settle for less. They targeted the league's hottest assistant coach, and brought him in to lead the Redskins into their next decade of success. Turner rode in on white horse. Seven years later, he'd leave on a three-legged donkey.

It wasn't so much the losing that tortured Redskins fans during the Turner years (although there was plenty of that). It was the teasing. After two "rebuilding" years, the Redskins burst out of the gate in 1996 with a 7-1 record. The playoffs seemed to be a certainty, with even bigger goals on most fans' minds. But the Redskins collapsed. They blew game after game, finished 2-6 down the stretch and missed the playoffs once again. Different variations of this same pattern became a constant during the Turner years.

Their seasons were marred by embarrassing losses, false hope, and maddening comments from Turner. His teams were always "awfully close," and he insisted "what we do works." His in-game facial expressions ranged from frustration to mild anger to abject sadness. The Redskins were woeful in close games, establishing them as the chokers of the NFL, with their head coach leading the charge.

Turner was a nice man. He tried hard. His players seemed to like him, but they never seemed to respect him or respond to his "motivation."

Finally, at the end of a colossal disappointment in 2000, Turner was fired. Finally, the man behind the torture was gone. But in many ways, the damage was done. The chemistry and expectation of the franchise had changed. To this day, the Redskins continue to fight to reverse this negative culture.

Shockingly, Turner got a second chance. The Oakland Raiders came calling in 2004. Turner lasted two seasons. His record? A combined 9-23. The Raiders fired him. Once again, Turner returned to the ranks of NFL assistant; surely, this time, it would be forever.

But like I said, God is a funny dude. He knows the pain and frustration Turner inflicted on Redskins Nation continues to linger. He did send us Joe Gibbs again, but we're still trying to figure out if it's blessing, or just a cruel joke.

So, if he isn't going to help us, he can make up for it by hurting them. Of course, for Redskins fans, "them" is the hated Cowboys.

Rumors are circulating that Turner is the leading candidate to become the Cowboys next head coach. The announcement could come as quickly as this Monday. I didn't believe it when I first heard it. I'm no fan of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, but I do believe that he knows how to read. If so, how can he ignore Turner's career coaching record of 58-82-1? How can he ignore that in nine seasons as a head coach in the NFL, Turner has made ONE playoff appearance. How can ignore the fact that his teams were terrible in close games? How can he be serious?

It makes no sense. Cowboys fans should be shuddering. Redskins fans, rejoicing. For us, it seems too good to be true. For them, it seems too bad to be true. All either side can do is pray.

After all, it's a God-thing.

jk the sooner fan
2/1/2007, 12:16 PM
using your logic, joe gibbs would have 2 more super bowls

oh wait.....the skins suck with him at the helm...

OUSKINS
2/1/2007, 12:25 PM
My logic? Where did I say anything even remotely positive about the Redskins. They are a joke. Point being, the Cowboys might be about to hire a coach with a 58-82-1 career record (1 playoff appearance).

jk the sooner fan
2/1/2007, 12:27 PM
check out Bill Belicheks (sp?) coaching record before he got to the Patriots

OUSKINS
2/1/2007, 12:48 PM
First of all, Bill B. is the exception. Secondly, Norv has already HAD his second chance. He went 9-23 w/ Oakland.

jk the sooner fan
2/1/2007, 12:59 PM
good coaches are only as good as the system they are put in

i havent seen ANYBODY successful in oakland minus the one season with gruden, nor have i seen anybody lighting the world on fire in Washington

he's not my first choice, but he's better than you're making him out to be

GrapevineSooner
2/1/2007, 02:26 PM
First of all, Bill B. is the exception. Secondly, Norv has already HAD his second chance. He went 9-23 w/ Oakland.

He was working under Al Davis, too.

Scott D
2/1/2007, 03:02 PM
He was working under Al Davis, too.

Turner only works in Dallas if they ditch Owens. If they keep Owens, it'll be like he was in Washington or Oakland again

Scott D
2/1/2007, 03:03 PM
also if Dallas hires him, that puts him in elite company. Being the Head Coach under the 3 most meddling owners in the NFL.

OUSKINS
2/1/2007, 04:05 PM
good coaches are only as good as the system they are put in

I'll refresh your memory:

Norv went 3-13 in 1994
He went 6-10 in 1995

He was GIVEN those years as rebuilding years, which they should have been.

In 1996, he went 9-7, but that's the year the Redskins started 7-1 and TANKED down the stretch losing to some putrid teams in the process, including getting swept by the woeful Cardinals.

In 1997, the Redskins choked AGAIN, losing down the stretch, and going 8-7-1.

Then, in 1998, they started 0-7 and Norv still KEPT his job.

That's when Dan Snyder took over the team. Amd for all the heck Snyder gets from the media and fans he STUCK with Norv despite his awful record.

The Redskins did have a good year in 1999, going 10-6. However, the NFC was down that year (two 8-8 teams made the playoffs) and the Redskins lost EVERY game they played against teams above .500

Finally, after SIX years, it was "do or die" for Norv in 2000.

By then, he'd had SIX FULL YEARS to get his offense straight. He said he needed more players to improve on the porous defense of 1999. So, Snyder went out and "bought" a defense. Contrary to popular belief, this actually worked-- the Redskins went from 28th in the NFL in defense in 1999 to 5th in 2000. But the Redskins STILL found a way to blow it after a 6-2 start.

And don't forget Norv's first FOUR years were with the Cooke family as the owners-- not Dan Snyder.

A coach creates the "system." Norv never got it done, and he had more than enough chances. And given a second opportunity in Oakland, he failed there as well.

GrapevineSooner
2/1/2007, 04:38 PM
So, why are you warning your hated rivals against hiring him?

If I were you, I'd be extolling his virtues to Jerry. :D

OUSKINS
2/1/2007, 05:25 PM
Grapevine, I'm not: Read my last paragraph

It makes no sense. Cowboys fans should be shuddering. Redskins fans, rejoicing. For us, it seems too good to be true. For them, it seems too bad to be true. All either side can do is pray.