PDA

View Full Version : teacher/parent meetings

jk the sooner fan
2/1/2007, 10:59 AM
a texas state legislator wants to make it criminal (misdemeanor) to miss a scheduled parent/teacher meeting at school

while my kids always had one or both parents there at any sort of school function, i dont think criminalizing not being there is a good idea

TexasLidig8r
2/1/2007, 11:06 AM
Obligatory, "it's a racist law designed to further oppress African American and Hispanic American people since we should be allowed to ignore our childrens' education any way we want." :rolleyes:

Widescreen
2/1/2007, 11:23 AM
Actually this is just a mechanism they're using to get illegal immigrants in one place so we can nab them and ship them home.

Tailwind
2/1/2007, 11:25 AM
Good plan, that.

Soonrboy
2/1/2007, 02:42 PM
It ain't the blacks and hispanics who miss the conferences at my school, peoples.

C&CDean
2/1/2007, 02:45 PM
Well I'd like to go, but they always have those damn things during Happy Hour.

yermom
2/1/2007, 02:45 PM
is it the same one that wants to get rid of the "sexy cheerleaders"?

jacru
2/1/2007, 03:08 PM
Actually this is just a mechanism they're using to get illegal immigrants in one place so we can nab them and ship them home.
must be a vigilante group. the gov't doesn't do that anymore.;)

BeetDigger
2/1/2007, 03:24 PM
I'm all for it if they include an addendum to the bill that provides for some get out of jail free cards for any parents who are highly involved in their children's education and consult with the teacher between scheduled PT conferences. I've never been to jail but having one or two of those in my back pocket would be comforting.

Frozen Sooner
2/1/2007, 03:26 PM
That's a little ridiculous.

sooner_born_1960
2/1/2007, 03:31 PM
If I determine that a conference is not necessary, I don't schedule one.

soonersweetie
2/1/2007, 03:59 PM
ok i'm slowly checking off the states in which I don't want to live

CA-can't spank your kids
tx-criminal to miss your kids parent/teacher conference
OK-(although I love the team), my mom just told me that if your child happens to miss 3 days of school-they don't have to be all together, and you forget to call in to say why, you have to appear in court. That seems ridiculous. I always try to call and let them know why they aren't going to be there, but occasionally I forget. I guess that makes me a bad parent, gees.

C&CDean
2/1/2007, 04:14 PM

CA-can't spank your kids
OK-(although I love the team), my mom just told me that if your child happens to miss 3 days of school-they don't have to be all together, and you forget to call in to say why, you have to appear in court. That seems ridiculous. I always try to call and let them know why they aren't going to be there, but occasionally I forget. I guess that makes me a bad parent, gees.

I doubt you'd have to appear in court in OK, but they might want you to appear up at the school office with a reasonable explanation.

I guess my kids are weird. Three are out of school, one is a junior in high school, and the other an 8th grader. Together, they've probably missed a total of 6-7 days of school. And usually to catch a flight or something to visit grandparents before Christmas vacation because we couldn't get a flight scheduled the next day.

It's always been one of my pillars - perfect attendance. I believe if it's instilled at a young age, the kids just learn that you need to be there. I have a couple periods of time on my job that I haven't missed a day (besides vacation time) in 19 years, and 7 years. And the time missed was for surgery. I'm pretty sure the fact that only missing 1 day from K-8th grade (my grandpa's funeral) has something to do with my anality on attendance.

soonersweetie
2/1/2007, 04:18 PM
well, to be honest, most of the time they miss school, it's for a plane trip to go to a football game, lol.

But then again, they have excellent grades. I tell them all the time, if you make good grades and excel in your studies then every now and then you get to do fun things like weekend mini-vacations, etc. So far, no problem. Kids are ages 10 and 12. They know that if their grades start to slip, then the fun (extra) stuff stops.

Soonrboy
2/1/2007, 04:23 PM
It gets back into that cycle where if the parents had a bad experience with schools while growing up, they are the ones most reluctant to come up to school. However, they seem to be the ones doing the most breeding.

yermom
2/1/2007, 04:29 PM
I doubt you'd have to appear in court in OK, but they might want you to appear up at the school office with a reasonable explanation.

I guess my kids are weird. Three are out of school, one is a junior in high school, and the other an 8th grader. Together, they've probably missed a total of 6-7 days of school. And usually to catch a flight or something to visit grandparents before Christmas vacation because we couldn't get a flight scheduled the next day.

It's always been one of my pillars - perfect attendance. I believe if it's instilled at a young age, the kids just learn that you need to be there. I have a couple periods of time on my job that I haven't missed a day (besides vacation time) in 19 years, and 7 years. And the time missed was for surgery. I'm pretty sure the fact that only missing 1 day from K-8th grade (my grandpa's funeral) has something to do with my anality on attendance.

i seriously hated school and used any excuse to not be there, i'd regularly miss the maximum amount to still go to the next grade...(i do not recommend this method)

conversely, i was at my current job about 8 years before i called in sick, and i've missed a total of 5 days other than for vacation type stuff. twice for being sick, and twice for being out of town in a broke-*** car. once i hit a deer and the other i had not one, but two flat tires :eek:

JohnnyMack
2/1/2007, 04:32 PM
twice for being out of town in a broke-*** car.

:mad: :dolemite: :mad:

C&CDean
2/1/2007, 04:35 PM
i seriously hated school and used any excuse to not be there, i'd regularly miss the maximum amount to still go to the next grade...(i do not recommend this method)

conversely, i was at my current job about 8 years before i called in sick, and i've missed a total of 5 days other than for vacation type stuff. twice for being sick, and twice for being out of town in a broke-*** car. once i hit a deer and the other i had not one, but two flat tires :eek:

Notice I only went to 8th grade. Cause I dropped out of school two-weeks into the 9th and never went back. Amazing what smoking a little dope and dropping a little acid will do to a kid huh?

yermom
2/1/2007, 04:35 PM
:mad: :dolemite: :mad:

once was driving back from Tulsa in my mom's old Taurus, i actually drove ~13 miles to the toll-gate on the spare after it went flat

the other was the gf's Jetta after i hit a deer in it driving back from Grand Lake

yermom
2/1/2007, 04:40 PM
Notice I only went to 8th grade. Cause I dropped out of school two-weeks into the 9th and never went back. Amazing what smoking a little dope and dropping a little acid will do to a kid huh?

heh, i didn't even have drugs as an excuse ;)

i graduated on time, barely. only had to retake one class in summer school

Ike
2/1/2007, 04:53 PM
while we're at it, perhaps we should make it a criminal offense to miss your kids little league games, dance recitals, school plays, etc.

There isn't any law we can write that will turn bad parents into good ones.

TexasLidig8r
2/1/2007, 05:17 PM
Then, there's the school my 17 year old is in.

You can go on line and get his up to the day, updated grades.. whether he turned homework in, the grade in the classes change pretty much on a daily basis depending on what homework, quizzes or exams are due and turned in.

Each teacher has his/her email at the school on site and each time I have emailed, have received a response within hours.

He can't run and he can't hide from Big Brother. I like it.

jacru
2/1/2007, 05:57 PM
There isn't any law we can write that will turn bad PEOPLE into good ones.
IMPROVED.

soonersweetie
2/1/2007, 06:35 PM
Then, there's the school my 17 year old is in.

You can go on line and get his up to the day, updated grades.. whether he turned homework in, the grade in the classes change pretty much on a daily basis depending on what homework, quizzes or exams are due and turned in.

Each teacher has his/her email at the school on site and each time I have emailed, have received a response within hours.

He can't run and he can't hide from Big Brother. I like it.

Our daughter's middle school is the same way. It is great! I always know what is due for that day and she knows that I know :D

sooner_born_1960
2/1/2007, 06:49 PM
And now we know that she knows that you know. :)

We got the same thing here.

BajaOklahoma
2/1/2007, 08:02 PM
JK, if you read the article further, they are just talking about conferences for behavior and academic concerns. The teachers have to send you a certified letter (gotta have proff you you sent it) and offer three times for the meeting. If you fail to show, without a valid excuse, you can be fined and jailed. This was not proposed by the TEA. It tends to put the school at odds with the parents, which no one wants. However, there are a few parents I would like to have thrown in jail.

The online grades are wonderful. If the parents bother to check them.

Sooner_Bob
2/1/2007, 08:15 PM
a texas state legislator wants to make it criminal (misdemeanor) to miss a scheduled parent/teacher meeting at school

I'm sure they have good intentions, but that's the stupidest idea I've heard in a while.

NYSooner1355
2/1/2007, 08:24 PM

CA-can't spank your kids

its 10 consecutive days as far as I know...and it's called truancy - there are laws regarding school attendance in every state

I think it is ridiculous and a waste of tax payer time to be using legislative time on this BUT if any sort of education reform is to be successful, we need to start making parents/students bear some of the weight of the "accountability" standards and not solely teachers and low-level administrators