PDA

View Full Version : Any of you hillbillies try Windows Vista out yet?

slickdawg
1/31/2007, 10:07 PM
Just curious what its like.

SicEmBaylor
1/31/2007, 10:11 PM
I installed RC1 on my sister's computer, but I never got a chance to play around with it. I run the beta of Office Pro '07 and I love it.

soonerboomer93
1/31/2007, 10:49 PM
i wouldn't go for it unless you have a 64bit processor and I would still wait a bit.

I'm also not ready to drop the money to get vista ultimate yet

proud gonzo
1/31/2007, 11:04 PM
does it come with swirls?

soonerboomer93
1/31/2007, 11:06 PM
if you code it right

OCUDad
2/1/2007, 12:29 AM
Wait for Service Pack 1... or even 2.

soonerboomer93
2/1/2007, 12:35 AM
actually, don't need to wait for the sp, just need to wait for the new generations of hard drives that vista is designed for to be readily available

OCUDad
2/1/2007, 01:00 AM
Before the service packs arrive, a hybrid hard drive will allow you to boot up a bug-ridden system in no time at all. :D

Stoop Dawg
2/1/2007, 01:15 AM
I anticipate bad times upgrading to Vista. I'll put it off as long as possible.

soonerboomer93
2/1/2007, 01:23 AM
that's why I always do fresh installs

and since I want to buy the 64 bit version, I'll wait until I get a new lappy next october and the drivers are stabalized enough

soonerboomer93
2/1/2007, 01:24 AM
Before the service packs arrive, a hybrid hard drive will allow you to boot up a bug-ridden system in no time at all. :D

there'd be alot less problems if people didn't use crappy shareware software they downloaded at random from the web so that they could not buy the legal version, or file share or 100 other things

Ike
2/1/2007, 03:38 AM
not just no, but hell no. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

OUinFLA
2/1/2007, 08:01 AM
not just no, but hell no. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

which in your world would take about...........
0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000
0000000001 seconds to traverse.

Sooner_Bob
2/1/2007, 08:35 AM
nope and I don't plan to until our program switches over to it. the powers that be have put out a policy stating that we can't upgrade or purchase machines with Vista until further notice.

OCUDad
2/1/2007, 10:43 PM
there'd be alot less problems if people didn't use crappy shareware software they downloaded at random from the web so that they could not buy the legal version, or file share or 100 other thingsWhile that's true at its base, it ignores the fact that Microsoft almost always releases buggy software at V1. Windows XP didn't get truly stable till SP2. And I'm speaking from the view of a corporate user who didn't download shareware or freeware or webware or any of the other junk some people do.

I'll let the early adopters shake out the inevitable problems and move to Vista around SP1 or SP2.

soonerboomer93
2/1/2007, 11:14 PM
I started using XP at rc 1, and never had problems with windows software itself.

Of course i've only built and installed windows xp on a several thousand computers, so me saying that from base load with proper software the only failures I saw were caused on the hardware side might not mean much.

Ike
2/2/2007, 02:53 AM
my problem with vista has nothing to do with the fact that it will probably be buggy and everything to do with the fact that Microsoft has added a few key "features" that I really don't want in an OS, and as a consumer will not spend my money for an OS that has these features. Even though they do have several features that make the OS more attractive and easier to use, there are some (over-reaching DRM, the fact that if you swap out a system board or a hard drive, you have to re-buy the OS, and a few others) that really turn me off. enough that I have decided that I will never buy Vista. That decision has already been made. My next OS will be Mac OSX.

SicEmBaylor
2/2/2007, 06:43 PM
My Office '07 beta shut itself down yesterday, so I'm back to using the old version.

Does anyone know if Office '07 will run on XP or is it Vista only?

Jerk
2/2/2007, 08:39 PM
my problem with vista has nothing to do with the fact that it will probably be buggy and everything to do with the fact that Microsoft has added a few key "features" that I really don't want in an OS, and as a consumer will not spend my money for an OS that has these features. Even though they do have several features that make the OS more attractive and easier to use, there are some (over-reaching DRM, the fact that if you swap out a system board or a hard drive, you have to re-buy the OS, and a few others) that really turn me off. enough that I have decided that I will never buy Vista. That decision has already been made. My next OS will be Mac OSX.

You've got to be kidding. Well, looks like I'll be running ol XP for another few years.

Jerk
2/2/2007, 08:48 PM
You know ... if that crap is true, then I may have to switch brands and buy a computer from that liberal hippie company in Austin.

tbl
2/2/2007, 09:05 PM
Just got the new pc tonight and I'm gonna hook it all up. I'm pumped...

Jerk
2/2/2007, 09:10 PM
Just got the new pc tonight and I'm gonna hook it all up. I'm pumped...

Installing the processor on the motherboard always makes me nervous, because I use a screw driver to press down on the latch that secures it, and if you slip (and you can, cuz you got to press hard), say hello to a nice gash across all of those electrical circuitry little thingies.

Ruuuuuufus
2/3/2007, 02:14 AM
You've got to be kidding. Well, looks like I'll be running ol XP for another few years.

doesn't XP do the same thing? I tried to boot off a different hard drive the other day and couldn't do it because of all the different hardware... ended up mounting with gparted

soonerboomer93
2/3/2007, 08:24 AM
Installing the processor on the motherboard always makes me nervous, because I use a screw driver to press down on the latch that secures it, and if you slip (and you can, cuz you got to press hard), say hello to a nice gash across all of those electrical circuitry little thingies.

processors are installed into a ZIF socket (Zero Insertion Force)

there is no reason to install one with a screwdriver, and hasn't been for a very very long time (since atleast the days of the 486)

you might be using a screwdriver to attach the heatsink/fan, but many have moved to a screwdown connection and away from the clip style. others have over sized clips that can be attached with the hands. For the heatsink i would normally use either a set of needle nose pliers, or a short screwdriver.

The motherboard does have to be screwed it. Use a magnetic screwbit, if you use an electric drill/screwdriver, adjust the torque setting a relatively low one.

(granted, I haven't built a machine with a duo core 2 processor, but there is no logical reason for them to not use a ZIF socket, the socket was actually created to prevent damage to the processor)

soonerboomer93
2/3/2007, 08:24 AM
doesn't XP do the same thing? I tried to boot off a different hard drive the other day and couldn't do it because of all the different hardware... ended up mounting with gparted

yeah, different hardware just forces you to reload xp basically

soonerboomer93
2/3/2007, 08:29 AM

I haven't read the user agreements for Vista yet, what I do know that the rules for XP differ by version. OEM version is bound to the computer it was originally loaded on, but if you're to change out your mainboard (for an upgrade) or processor, you're required to buy a new version (this rule not necessarily enforced, but is in the oem license).

The retail version can be loaded on any computer you own, as long as it's only on 1 system, regardless of any changes made to same system.

I would imagine MS might be enforcing the OEM rules (since many people try to skirt the rules and buy OEM versions they don't qualify for) but I don't know why they would change their retail rules. Of course, they were purging the activation data every 90 days is my understanding, so that didn't help with the enforcement of the license agreements.

Ike
2/3/2007, 11:09 AM
I haven't read the user agreements for Vista yet, what I do know that the rules for XP differ by version. OEM version is bound to the computer it was originally loaded on, but if you're to change out your mainboard (for an upgrade) or processor, you're required to buy a new version (this rule not necessarily enforced, but is in the oem license).

The retail version can be loaded on any computer you own, as long as it's only on 1 system, regardless of any changes made to same system.

I would imagine MS might be enforcing the OEM rules (since many people try to skirt the rules and buy OEM versions they don't qualify for) but I don't know why they would change their retail rules. Of course, they were purging the activation data every 90 days is my understanding, so that didn't help with the enforcement of the license agreements.

On my Toshiba, I had to replace the mainboard last year...this wasn't an upgrade...just a replacement. I've had no problems with XP since doing so. The fact that this TPM and full HD encryption crap can make it so that a different mainboard won't even read the hard drive....F-that.

If the rules say that I have to re-buy the OS because my computer had problems anyway, well, just another reason to forget windows altogether. Thats just called milking the consumer as far as I'm concerned. I'm hard on my computers. sometimes they break, and lucky for me, I know how to fix them most of the time...I don't go out and buy a new system if I can fix mine for cheaper. If I can't do that due to the OS on board, then I don't want that OS.

OCUDad
2/3/2007, 11:25 AM
I started using XP at rc 1, and never had problems with windows software itself. Then you never tried to do much with the software.

Of course i've only built and installed windows xp on a several thousand computers, so me saying that from base load with proper software the only failures I saw were caused on the hardware side might not mean much.Absolutely no offense meant, but the IT boys are the last guys I listen to when it comes to observations on software quality.

tbl
2/3/2007, 11:52 AM
I'm a mad SOB right now.... I've only tried to install two pieces of software (both of which were drivers for hardware I need) and of course the freaking *********s at Microsoft didn't think ahead enough to realize that not every piece of hardware out there had drivers ready to go with their new suck *** system.

I tried to install the driver for my USB transfer cable to get all the files from my old pc to the new one; nada. Wouldn't do it. Of course it's worked like a charm on my laptop and any other pc's I've transferred files to/from, but not the amazing Windows Vista.

Since that didn't work, I transferred all my files from my old pc to the 120G internal HD I typically stored movies on. I went to install the driver for the hard drive on the Vista machine (after staying up till 2:30 cleaning up the drive and getting all my files onto it from the old pc); effing NADA.

"Data Lifeguard will only run under Windows 95/98, Windows NT4, or Windows 2000/XP. Setup will now exit."

**** you Bill Gates!!!!! Piece of **** ***hat!!!

Why in the hell do you create a new operating system that doesn't recognize software written for XP???????????????????????

I am so livid right now. I've been on hold with the hard drive people for 18 minutes so far to see if the driver is available somewhere (though it's nowhere on their site).

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

tbl
2/3/2007, 11:55 AM
Doing a little search on their website, and I found this little gem.

"Western Digital does not provide technical support or drivers for our products installed under Windows Vista at this time. We will be releasing updated software utilities and drivers for selective Western Digital products in the near future."

Still on hold... 21 minutes listening to smooth jazz.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Mjcpr
2/3/2007, 11:56 AM
I think you can put tbl down for one of the hillbillies who have tried Windows Vista.

Mjcpr
2/3/2007, 11:57 AM
"Western Digital does not provide technical support or drivers for our products installed under Windows Vista at this time. We will be releasing updated software utilities and drivers for selective Western Digital products in the near future."

Still on hold... 21 minutes listening to smooth jazz.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

What are you waiting for, doesn't that answer your question?

:D

tbl
2/3/2007, 12:00 PM
Ya think???? I love it!!!! ;)

The visual performance is actually pretty cool, but I'm not the biggest fan of all the security measures built into it... plus there's the sukk *** driver problems. :mad:

Any time you install a program you have to go through 3 steps to verify you want to install it. YES!! I WANT TO INSTALL THE EFFING PROGRAM!!!!

Still on hold... 27 minutes... unbelievable.

tbl
2/3/2007, 12:01 PM
What are you waiting for, doesn't that answer your question?

:D
I know... but after sitting it out this long, somebody needs to hear some venting. I'd rather let loose on some guy from India than my wife. Messageboard venting just doesn't get it out quite like talking to the source... though that usually doesn't help either.

****!!!!!

SoonerStud615
2/3/2007, 12:41 PM
I've actually come upon a copy of Vista Ultimate. I'm taking my sweet time getting ready for install though. I'm weary of any screw up that may come my way.

SicEmBaylor
2/3/2007, 01:16 PM
I'm going to go ahead and buy Vista since I can get it cheap through Baylor, but I'm going to avoid installing it for awhile.

Ike
2/3/2007, 03:08 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/16610585.htm

Apple has some advice for PC-based iTunes customers that are considering upgrading to Windows Vista: Wait!

In a support document updated Thursday, the company warned such customers that its digital music software has some compatibility issues with Vista, the latest version of Microsoft's flagship operating system. Among the known issues: Songs purchased from the iTunes music store may not play; contacts and calendar entries won't sync to customers' iPods; and customers could corrupt their iPod unless they eject it from Windows using iTunes.

The company plans to release an updated version of iTunes ``in the next few weeks'' that will address some of the compatibility issues. However, on the support page, Apple offers a guide on how customers who plan on upgrading to Vista anyway can avoid some of the problems. The process involves de-authorizing customers' computers and uninstalling iTunes before upgrading to Vista.

ITunes isn't the only program that's had trouble with Vista. Microsoft's own Zune software for its rival music players was incompatible with the operating system when it launched in November. The company has since addressed the issue. This spring, Apple is expected to release its own operating system update, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

Flagstaffsooner
2/3/2007, 03:49 PM
This damned thing when under devolpement was called "longhorn".

It must be full of $hit.

tbl
2/3/2007, 04:58 PM
Ok.... it's now confirmed. Do NOT install Vista yet. Nobody has drivers ready for it. I went to install the printer, and guess what???? "Not compatible". MOTHER ****!!!I don't remember it being this bad for the switch from 98 to XP....

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

SicEmBaylor
2/3/2007, 05:00 PM
I'm not sure why getting drivers out for Vista is such a problem. It isn't like the Vista release came as a huge surprise to anyone, and I don't remember this being such a problem when XP was released.

tbl
2/3/2007, 05:05 PM
That's what I'm saying. I only have three pieces of hardware I was trying to install today and not one of them had compatible drivers. I have a stack of CD's that I need to install, and I have a feeling I'm just going to feed my rage with each unsuccessful attempt.

I'm not even thinking about plugging in my Ipod till I know for a fact it will work. If I go for that and it messes up, I'm going to fly to Seattle and shoot somebody.

Ike
2/3/2007, 05:19 PM
That's what I'm saying. I only have three pieces of hardware I was trying to install today and not one of them had compatible drivers. I have a stack of CD's that I need to install, and I have a feeling I'm just going to feed my rage with each unsuccessful attempt.

I'm not even thinking about plugging in my Ipod till I know for a fact it will work. If I go for that and it messes up, I'm going to fly to Seattle and shoot somebody.
see, if I were you, after this long, I'd give up, install linux (or if you were upgrading, re-install XP) and send it back demanding a full refund because its obviously the wrong product for you.

But thats just me.

tbl
2/3/2007, 08:37 PM
Holy ****. I just went to install the CD for my mouse so I can get all the functionality out of it, and the pc doesn't even recognize the CD once I click on setup. Unbelievable...

Stoop Dawg
2/5/2007, 05:35 PM
I'm a mad SOB right now.... I've only tried to install two pieces of software (both of which were drivers for hardware I need) and of course the freaking *********s at Microsoft didn't think ahead enough to realize that not every piece of hardware out there had drivers ready to go with their new suck *** system.

Ummmm, sad to say, but it appears that YOU didn't think ahead enough to realize that not every piece of hardware out there had drivers read to go with the new suck *** system. And really, it didn't even require much thinking. Pretty much every article/review written about Vista for the last 2 months has said one thing - WAIT.

**** you Bill Gates!!!!! Piece of **** ***hat!!!

Why in the hell do you create a new operating system that doesn't recognize software written for XP???????????????????????

Ummmm, errrrrr..........

tbl
2/5/2007, 06:39 PM
Obviously all of that was written during the peak of my frustration. I'm running along just fine now and most everything is working. Thanks for pulling it up 2 days after the fact.