PDA

View Full Version : iPod to video to another format

SoonerStud615
1/31/2007, 09:46 PM
Does anybody know of a converter to make iPod videos (.m4v) to another, universal, format like .wmv of .mpg? Any help would be appreciated.

soonerboomer93
1/31/2007, 09:51 PM
I looked but I don't remember if I ever found one

SoonerStud615
1/31/2007, 10:01 PM
I've been looking all night, the closest thing I got was one that worked, but only allowed 30 second conversions or you had to buy.

tbl
1/31/2007, 10:30 PM
Well.... buy.

soonerhubs
2/1/2007, 12:45 AM
:)

hurricane'bone
2/1/2007, 12:51 AM
Well.... buy.

http://www.theboxset.com/images/reviewcaptures/612capture_tombstone03.jpg

sooneron
2/1/2007, 05:03 PM
mpeg streamclip

google it

mdklatt
2/1/2007, 05:08 PM
Does anybody know of a converter to make iPod videos (.m4v) to another, universal, format like .wmv of .mpg? Any help would be appreciated.

You dare to challenge the iBorg? The Jobs will not be amused.

sooneron
2/1/2007, 05:37 PM
You dare to challenge the iBorg? The Jobs will not be amused.
That's kind of funny, but you have it backwards...

http://www.podster.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fotos/gateborg.jpg

whatsername
3/13/2007, 06:23 AM
How about the opposite?? I have some DVD's that I'd like to put on my ipod so I can watch them while traveling.

Ike
3/13/2007, 07:50 AM
How about the opposite?? I have some DVD's that I'd like to put on my ipod so I can watch them while traveling.

technically, you aren't supposed to do this under the DMCA. :rolleyes:

however, I found a little program that accomplishes this feat for me at
http://dvd-to-ipod.sourceforge.net/

the GUI is a little clunky, and it takes some time, but it's worked out great for me. It only saves the video file somewhere of your choosing, after which you'll have to import it into iTunes by hand, but it works. I've been able to take my seasons of firefly, the west wing and lost on long trips because of it.

whatsername
3/13/2007, 09:21 AM
technically, you aren't supposed to do this under the DMCA. :rolleyes:

Figures. I don't see why not though! If I bought it, then I should be able to watch it on anything I want!

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out! Hopefully I can figure it out. :)

Ike
3/13/2007, 09:51 AM
Figures. I don't see why not though! If I bought it, then I should be able to watch it on anything I want!

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out! Hopefully I can figure it out. :)

It's due to the anti-circumvention provisions of the DMCA. Commercial DVDs are encrypted, and to decrypt them, DVD player manufacturers have to pay a licensing fee to the MPAA to get the bit of code that decrypts them. The DMCA makes circumventing copy protection/encryption illegal, no matter how legitimate your reasons for doing so might be. So generally, any format-switching software out there will be, technically, illegal, because the MPAA won't license people to make such software, and even if they did, their fees would be prohibitive enough to prevent anyone from offering such software freely.

whatsername
3/13/2007, 09:57 AM
It's due to the anti-circumvention provisions of the DMCA. Commercial DVDs are encrypted, and to decrypt them, DVD player manufacturers have to pay a licensing fee to the MPAA to get the bit of code that decrypts them. The DMCA makes circumventing copy protection/encryption illegal, no matter how legitimate your reasons for doing so might be. So generally, any format-switching software out there will be, technically, illegal, because the MPAA won't license people to make such software, and even if they did, their fees would be prohibitive enough to prevent anyone from offering such software freely.

You sound really smart.

:)

Frozen Sooner
3/13/2007, 11:07 AM

(nods)

Anything that strips copy protection from digital media is illegal under the DMCA.

One of the bits of copyright law I have a real issue with. I think that part gets struck down if anyone challenges it in court so long as they can show they were only doing so for personal use. It's just inconsistent with so much of the rest of copyright law.

Ike
3/13/2007, 11:56 AM
(nods)

Anything that strips copy protection from digital media is illegal under the DMCA.

One of the bits of copyright law I have a real issue with. I think that part gets struck down if anyone challenges it in court so long as they can show they were only doing so for personal use. It's just inconsistent with so much of the rest of copyright law.

I agree. Past copyright law always had "fair use" provisions, and IMHO, this tramples all over that, essentially allowing content providers to define what fair use is rather than a legal structure.

Frozen Sooner
3/13/2007, 12:02 PM
Thinking about this further, I don't know that a court can strike this down. No real constitutional issue, and just because common law has defined fair use in a certain way doesn't mean that the legislature can't preempt common law by statute. :(

As most who've talked about the subject with me know, I'm a proponent of strong copyright laws. This particular codicil is just offensive to me as contradictory of the spirit of copyright law and what it's supposed to do.

The movement of copyright law has been towards purchase of IP being a purchase of the contents of the media-that is, you've bought a right to read, listen to, etc, the IP contained in the media. You're not allowed to dupe the media for someone else unless that someone else has their own license. The DMCA in this instance puts undue emphasis on the media-they're saying you bought a DVD, not a right to use the bits on the DVD as you see fit. It's a bad road for IP owners to go down.

whatsername
3/14/2007, 06:14 AM
Hey Ike,

THANKS!!

It worked great! I'm thrilled. :D