PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck!

Melo
1/31/2007, 06:49 PM
I'm leaving early early early tomorrow morning to drive to Lake Charles. I have a private lesson and an audition at McNeese State, and I am pretty excited.

Dad gave me two sets of directions and about 4 maps, and told me if I get lost, then I shouldn't be going to college anyways. :) I feel pretty prepared for the audition, and I'm only worried, really, about the actual drive.

Anyhow, this is a big step for me, and its going to determine a small number of things for my future. Any prayers, well-wishes, etc etc would be so greatly appreciated!!! :D

bri
1/31/2007, 06:53 PM
Good luck, kiddo.

Hey, see if you can find Sic'Em's balls laying along the side of the road anywhere.

SoonerAtKU
1/31/2007, 07:00 PM
If you meet a cute redhead who's a little older than you are, tell her I'm sorry we never...

nevermind...have a great time!

SleestakSooner
1/31/2007, 07:00 PM
Be VERY careful if you are driving in central OK right now or in the morning! Be safe and good luck.

soonerboomer93
1/31/2007, 07:06 PM
drive safe and have fun

SicEmBaylor
1/31/2007, 07:10 PM
Good luck, knock 'em dead!

GottaHavePride
1/31/2007, 07:12 PM
Good luck. My advice: stop and look around the room BEFORE you start playing, not WHILE you're playing. ;)

OCUDad
1/31/2007, 07:15 PM
Good luck, Melo. Our fingers are crossed for you.

And if you find ANYTHING of SicEm's by the side of the road, leave it/them there. Lord knows where that stuff has been.

olevetonahill
1/31/2007, 07:20 PM
Good Luck kid
And a Big DITTO on the drive safe thing
I will be rootin for you

proud gonzo
1/31/2007, 07:33 PM
where's McNeese State?

jk the sooner fan
1/31/2007, 07:38 PM
my guess would be lake charles since thats where she's driving ;)

VeeJay
1/31/2007, 07:43 PM
Last I heard it was up on Cripple Creek

BajaOklahoma
1/31/2007, 07:44 PM
Knock'em dead!
You'll do great!

GottaHavePride
1/31/2007, 07:54 PM
Seriously, isn't McNeese State in Tennessee?

SicEmBaylor
1/31/2007, 07:56 PM
McNeese State University, founded in 1939, is a university located in Lake Charles, Louisiana. Originally called Lake Charles Junior College, the name became John McNeese Junior College in 1940; the school was part of the Louisiana State University system. In 1950, the school parted from the LSU system and became McNeese State College; in 1970, the institution gained university status.

McNeese's colors are blue and gold. The school's men's sports teams are known as the Cowboys, while the women's athetic teams are the Cowgirls. McNeese State sports teams participate in NCAA Division I (I-AA for football) in the Southland Conference.

There ya go.

olevetonahill
1/31/2007, 07:59 PM
There ya go.
By God you aint totaly worthless Now are you.

SicEmBaylor
1/31/2007, 08:00 PM
By God you aint totaly worthless Now are you.
I'm good with book learnins'

PhxSooner
1/31/2007, 08:02 PM
My dad graduated from McNeese State. Not a bad place, actually. We went to a few football games there when I was younger. Pretty decent band, too.

jacru
1/31/2007, 08:11 PM
God be with you. And He says:

Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope."

GottaHavePride
1/31/2007, 08:12 PM
Blue and gold? I wouldn't be able to handle that. It'd be like being in high school all over again. ;)

btw, I am only disparaging their choice of colors, not their academic status. :D

Frozen Sooner
1/31/2007, 08:14 PM
Good luck-prove me wrong!

proud gonzo
1/31/2007, 08:24 PM
thanks SicEm--my next question was "Where's Lake Charles?"

PhxSooner
1/31/2007, 08:26 PM
Lake Charles is about 50 miles north of the Gulf, and about 40-50 miles east of the Texas border. Oil refineries everywhere.

AlbqSooner
1/31/2007, 09:16 PM
Lake Charles is the heart of Cajun Country. You can get some good food there for sure - and beer - lots of beer - and if they ask if you are a headsucker it is not a sexual question.

soonerboomer93
1/31/2007, 09:19 PM
mmmm, crawfish

proud gonzo
1/31/2007, 09:51 PM
http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/754/crawfishavatar2vj.jpg

slickdawg
1/31/2007, 10:09 PM
Lake Charles is the heart of Cajun Country. You can get some good food there for sure - and beer - lots of beer - and if they ask if you are a headsucker it is not a sexual question.

yep, sucking heads and eating tails has nothing to do with sex there.

TUSooner
1/31/2007, 10:21 PM
Prayers and well wishes? DONE & DONE!!
Good luck, kid. And don't forget to take home some boudin and andouille for the folks. ;)

Melo
2/2/2007, 12:55 PM
Well, the drive sucked, it rained the whole time, and Houston traffic was a b**ch. Got there, got lost. Which was funny, because I get lost going everywhere, so my dad printed off about 4 different looking maps and 2 different sets of instructions. He handed hem to me, and trying to be funny, said 'So easy, a cave man could do it...' Yea, well... Still got lost. Went and had my lesson, which went very well. I really liked the lady, a lot. She made the lesson enjoyable, but still seemed like she was in a hurry to get things accomplished. Then I had my audition, which went well, THEN I got to sit in with the Wind Symphony. It was amazing. The first piece we played was 'First Suite in E-flat for Military Band'. The funny thing was that I first played that piece in he 8th grade. Anyways - after rehearsal, about half the band approached me and introduced themselves. Everyone was incredibly nice.

Thanks, everyone, for well wishes and prayers. It went just as well as I had hoped! Now all I have to do is wait for all my paperwork o go through!

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/2/2007, 12:56 PM
WTG, you!

:D

SleestakSooner
2/2/2007, 12:57 PM
Glad things went well... once ya found the place ;)

Ike
2/2/2007, 12:59 PM
Conflagrations!

TUSooner
2/2/2007, 01:26 PM
Well, the drive sucked, it rained the whole time, and Houston traffic was a b**ch. Got there, got lost. Which was funny, because I get lost going everywhere, so my dad printed off about 4 different looking maps and 2 different sets of instructions. He handed hem to me, and trying to be funny, said 'So easy, a cave man could do it...' Yea, well... Still got lost. Went and had my lesson, which went very well. I really liked the lady, a lot. She made the lesson enjoyable, but still seemed like she was in a hurry to get things accomplished. Then I had my audition, which went well, THEN I got to sit in with the Wind Symphony. It was amazing. The first piece we played was 'First Suite in E-flat for Military Band'. The funny thing was that I first played that piece in he 8th grade. Anyways - after rehearsal, about half the band approached me and introduced themselves. Everyone was incredibly nice.

Thanks, everyone, for well wishes and prayers. It went just as well as I had hoped! Now all I have to do is wait for all my paperwork o go through!
Well done!

Did you get the boudin & stuff?

Melo
2/2/2007, 01:59 PM
Whats Boudin? :O

Fugue
2/2/2007, 01:59 PM
Juicy Boudin

jk the sooner fan
2/2/2007, 02:02 PM
great news!!! fingers crossed and stuff :)

GottaHavePride
2/2/2007, 02:19 PM

It's like andouille, but different. ;)

TUSooner
2/2/2007, 02:42 PM
It's a sausage made with rice, pork, pork liver & spices and stuff.

It's tasty, and I love it. But the casing is not exactly edible (although I giuess chewing on it could build of your clarinet chops. :rolleyes: )
There's not a dignified way to eat boudin, unless you cut the casing off. But that's considered a sissified way of doing it. The usual way is to just sorta put your mouth around it, clamp down, and pull, squeezing it into you mouth. Crude jokes arriving in 3...2..1..

Andouille, btw, is a spicy, smoked pork sausage, hopefully with lots of garlic, that is not ground finely so that there are some pretty nice chunks of ham/pork in it. It's usually used for cooking in beans or gumbo, but the good ones are fine plain.

If you spend much time in SW Louisiana, you'll find out about a lot of good stuff like that. :)

n8v_ndn
2/2/2007, 02:46 PM
I sent a 'good luck' not realizing you already returned safe and sound, so now this message feels like it's going to the Future Melo. Got any lotto numbers?!

C&CDean
2/2/2007, 02:51 PM
And all this time I thought McNeese St. was a colored school.