PDA

View Full Version : Wooden floor re-doer question. :)

MamaMia
1/31/2007, 11:23 AM
I recently pulled up the carpet in my whole house and had tile installed in all but a couple of back rooms. I figured I would try to save some money and have the wood floors in there restored, plus I wanted some contrast.

My smallest back room measures 11'x 11'. The wood is in good condition. The floor was made back in the late 40s, so its well built. There is a small patch that has a few inches of mold under one side the window where it looked like rain dripped, but hardly noticeable. If you look real close you can see that it does need a little filler in a few places. There are some light blue paint splatters where someone didn't use a tarp. I guess they got lazy since they were going to carpet the room anyway. That will come right up.

My question is, about how much money should I be expecting to spend to have someone come in and sand, fill, stain and polyurethane that floor?

Bourbon St Sooner
1/31/2007, 11:54 AM
Good choice on going with the wood and tile. That's all I have in my house. Carpet just holds in all of the filth.

I've never had to have mine resurfaced. I had to pull it up and replace it after the flood so I know what it costs to lay a floor. I would guess somewhere around $2-3 per square foot.

TopDaugIn2000
1/31/2007, 11:56 AM
I'm having a lot of wood in my house

oh wait....

MamaMia
1/31/2007, 10:23 PM
Good choice on going with the wood and tile. That's all I have in my house. Carpet just holds in all of the filth.

I've never had to have mine resurfaced. I had to pull it up and replace it after the flood so I know what it costs to lay a floor. I would guess somewhere around $2-3 per square foot.I just got my first estimate this evening. He wants $950.00. I'm expecting 3 more estimates in the next week or two.

soonerboomer93
1/31/2007, 10:48 PM
depends on the product they use also, my understanding is they have polyurathane and they have water based products also

supposedly the water based products dry quicker and harder, but take more coats for the same shine

olevetonahill
1/31/2007, 10:48 PM
I'm having a lot of wood in my house

oh wait....
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

olevetonahill
1/31/2007, 10:55 PM
I just got my first estimate this evening. He wants $950.00. I'm expecting 3 more estimates in the next week or two.
before you decide , along WITH the estimates Get referances , and GO see work that they have done
If you dont do that Hell Ill come fix it for a case of natty and materials :D

MamaMia
2/1/2007, 07:57 AM
depends on the product they use also, my understanding is they have polyurathane and they have water based products also

supposedly the water based products dry quicker and harder, but take more coats for the same shine
Do you happen to have the name of those products? It would be nice to ask the handymen/low end carpenter type fellows about that as they give me their estimates.

before you decide , along WITH the estimates Get referances , and GO see work that they have done
If you don't do that Hell Ill come fix it for a case of natty and materials :D
My mom in law told me to take a peek at some of their other work and get some references as well. I think thats great advice and will do just that. She also said that she thinks $950.00 is quite steep. One fellow and his helper said that they would charge me $40.00 an hour plus the price of materials. I asked them to write me up an estimate, including how many hours they felt it would take.