PDA

View Full Version : My idea to make the Sunbelt Conference more entertaining

royalfan5
1/30/2007, 11:19 PM
All the Sunbelt schools just just hire all the crazy ex-NFL coaches like Denny Green, Jim Mora, Jerry Glanville, Herm Edwards(just give it another year), etc and turn them loose. Imagine Mora flipping out over a question about the New Orleans bowl, or Denny Green yelling about how Middle Tennessee was who he thought they were, etc. It would be great cheap entertainment for everyone.

colleyvillesooner
1/30/2007, 11:29 PM
Can my alma mater keep Todd Dodge?

royalfan5
1/30/2007, 11:32 PM
Can my alma mater keep Todd Dodge?
Only if he agrees to give crazy press conferences and otherwise engage in wackyness.

colleyvillesooner
1/30/2007, 11:35 PM
Well, he's gonna put that high power Southlake Carroll offense in the hands of North Texas athletes. Hilarity will ensue, trust me.

tommieharris91
1/31/2007, 12:48 AM
Hmmm...:

Denny Green: Are any Sun Belt mascots Bears? Can we put Baylor in the conference just for that? They're football team would finally be competitive...

Jim Mora: I'm assuming this is about Sr., because Jim Mora Jr. is the coach of the Washington Huskies, or something. Anyway, to get him to talk, just add playoff system.

Herm Edwards: Just tell him Sun Belt teams play for fat paychecks from big conference schools.

Bill Parcells: Just add soft players.

Lane Kiffin: Already has the deer-in-the-headlights look needed for the conference.

Mike Ditka would also be a good hire for someone. Nick Saban would be a good fit, too.

85sooners
1/31/2007, 11:36 AM
:pop:

AllAboutThe'O'
1/31/2007, 04:30 PM
Ray Perkins served a stint, a very brief stint, at Arkansas State in the early '90s. So one Sun Belt school has that ex-NFL head coach thing going for it, although ASU wasn't in that conference at the time.

Tear Down This Wall
2/1/2007, 01:18 PM
Well, he's gonna put that high power Southlake Carroll offense in the hands of North Texas athletes. Hilarity will ensue, trust me.

North Texas fans are crazy as road lizards! They are going nutso over this high school coach they just hired. If you go to their sad message board, they are lauding their commitments like they're the second coming of Billy Sims and Adrian Peterson. It's really sad...

...but, it's also funny. One guy decommitted yesterday so he could play baseball and football at...Texas State, a I-AA school. UNT doesn't have a baseball program. So, this kid had two offers - Texas State and UNT. Ace recruiting this high school coach is providing, I tell ya.

Personally, I'd have picked Texas State even without baseball due to the hot babe factor down in San Marcos. I mean, what's the difference, you get whipped at UNT or you get whipped at Texas State. Hell, 10 years ago they were both in the same crappy I-AA conference anyway. Aside from Troy State, the Sun Belt ain't much of a step up from the Southland Conference or whatever it is Texas State plays in.

Tear Down This Wall
2/1/2007, 01:27 PM
Here's a real idea to make the Sun Belt Conference more entertaining. Give each coaching staff three percussion grenades and three of those smoke grenades that SWAT teams use when they want to scare the crap of the people whose house they are about to storm. Let the coaches use three per half, in any combination, when (actually, I mean, if) their crappy, fellow Sun Belt opponent ever gets past the 50.

Say, for instance, North Texas State and Louisiana State at Monroe are in a classic, field goal-trading, 6-3 barnburner. A Mean Green player accidentally breaks free for a play and crosses the 50. NTSU has a first and 10 at, say, the 44. At that point, any of the UL-Monroe staff could throw in a concussion or smoke grenade during a play.

Now, that, my friends, would be real entertainment.

snp
2/1/2007, 01:53 PM
They should set up an online poll and fans can vote on the next play for both teams. Every play from scrimmage would probably be a jailhouse blitz and the annexation of Puerto Rico.

47straight
2/1/2007, 05:16 PM
Can we send lester smiles to the sunbelt conference?

NorthTexan
2/6/2007, 11:42 AM
North Texas fans are crazy as road lizards! They are going nutso over this high school coach they just hired. If you go to their sad message board, they are lauding their commitments like they're the second coming of Billy Sims and Adrian Peterson. It's really sad...

...but, it's also funny. One guy decommitted yesterday so he could play baseball and football at...Texas State, a I-AA school. UNT doesn't have a baseball program. So, this kid had two offers - Texas State and UNT. Ace recruiting this high school coach is providing, I tell ya.

Personally, I'd have picked Texas State even without baseball due to the hot babe factor down in San Marcos. I mean, what's the difference, you get whipped at UNT or you get whipped at Texas State. Hell, 10 years ago they were both in the same crappy I-AA conference anyway. Aside from Troy State, the Sun Belt ain't much of a step up from the Southland Conference or whatever it is Texas State plays in.

Nice post. BTW, North Texas has a winning record against Boise State.

mdklatt
2/6/2007, 11:56 AM

Before or after they became a four-year school? (BSU, not NTSU.)

:pop:

mdklatt
2/6/2007, 11:59 AM

Yeah, that might be an overall step down in talent. You can't land college recruits by buying their families a house in the district. Unless you're USC. :texan:

Bruiser53
2/6/2007, 12:01 PM
They need more creative mascot names. The Mean Green, Blue Raiders, and the Ragin' Cajuns are just too run of mill for me.

snp
2/6/2007, 12:09 PM

Cute. UNT is 3-3 vs BSU.

BTW, OU is 6-0 with an average win being 45 - 8.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/sunbelt/north_texas/opponents.php

Tear Down This Wall
2/7/2007, 02:03 PM

I told you all that some North Texas fans were crazy as road lizards, didn't I? They're 3-3 all-time versus Boise State, and that's a "winning" record. Okay, I can see how being even with another school might be tantamount to "winning" at old NTSU.

But, to hodge podge the 3-3 over an 0-6 record versus us...? Did I say these guys were crazy as road lizards?

The Dallas Morning News reported that the Mean Green got some player that had visited Rice, Tarleton State, and West Texas A&M. None of those schools had offered him yet. The Eagles' (or, Mean Green) new high school coach offered this kid a scholie, though.

See how keen that is...the Division II schools weren't offereing him, but the marginally I-A North Texas did. Great hire. The guy's already making top notch decisions. I wonder how many Division II-rejected prospects Stoops picked up for us.

Beef
2/7/2007, 02:57 PM
Too bad Billy Martin's dead. He would be just what the Sun Belt needed.