PDA

View Full Version : Coach Saban's Comments

SoCal
1/30/2007, 10:50 PM
http://www.onepeat.com/dirtysaban.mp3

I read on the USC board... "that before he said it, he says something like "dont let this get on there" and then called LSU fans connasses. The word coonass refers to what some cajuns call themselves, like some black people call themselves the N word. But, if you are not a cajun or from LOuisiana it is taken as an insult like if a white person were to call a black person the N word. Satan is going to get it good in 08 when he returns to BR. Boos will be deafening."

TUSooner
1/30/2007, 11:02 PM
http://www.onepeat.com/dirtysaban.mp3

I read on the USC board... "that before he said it, he says something like "dont let this get on there" and then called LSU fans connasses. The word coonass refers to what some cajuns call themselves, like some black people call themselves the N word. But, if you are not a cajun or from LOuisiana it is taken as an insult like if a white person were to call a black person the N word. Satan is going to get it good in 08 when he returns to BR. Boos will be deafening."

Coonass does not equate in any way with n*****. I think anybody can call a coonass a coonass . . . . if the "caller" is smiling. :)

SoCal
1/30/2007, 11:06 PM
What does the word "coosass" mean?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A "coonass" bumper sticker.Coonass, or Coon-***, is an epithet used in reference to a person of Cajun ethnicity.

Although some Cajuns use the word in regard to themselves, other Cajuns view the term as an ethnic slur against the Cajun people, especially when used by non-Cajuns.

Socioeconomic factors appear to influence how Cajuns are likely to view the term: working-class Cajuns tend to regard the word "coonass" as a badge of ethnic pride; whereas middle- and upper-class Cajuns are more likely to regard the term as insulting or degrading, even when used by fellow Cajuns in reference to themselves.

Despite an effort by Cajun activists to stamp out the term, it can be found on T-shirts, hats, and bumperstickers throughout Acadiana, the 22-parish Cajun homeland in south Louisiana.

insuranceman_22
1/30/2007, 11:23 PM
I wonder if I'm a coonass?

One thing is definate, Satan will be her the tigerbait chants very loud in baton rouge. He'd be smart to wear a bullet-proof vest during the game.

Fraggle145
1/31/2007, 02:15 AM
I've called Coonasses that i didnt know "coonasses" before and they didnt give a ****.

VMG
1/31/2007, 05:29 AM
The Air Guard F-15 unit in N.O. claimed themselves part of the Coonass Militia -- with pride. Doubt anyone getting upset about being called a coonass was anything but infected with a new strain of the PC virus.

AlbqSooner
1/31/2007, 07:11 AM
Coonass does not equate in any way with n*****. I think anybody can call a coonass a coonass . . . . if the "caller" is smiling. :)
Very similar to calling someone a redneck or a good ole boy in Oklahoma. It might be considered a slur by some but is considered a quasi compliment by many.

BoonesFarmSooner
1/31/2007, 09:52 AM
Whatever the hell they are, I was surrounded by those freaks on Bourbon Street in Jan of '04...

Those folks are seriously messed up!!!!

ruf/nekdad
1/31/2007, 11:05 AM
The Air Guard F-15 unit in N.O. claimed themselves part of the Coonass Militia -- with pride. Doubt anyone getting upset about being called a coonass was anything but infected with a new strain of the PC virus.
:D

OUmillenium
1/31/2007, 11:20 AM
The word is actually kind of a compliment in that cajuns recognize that you are tuned into their culture when using the term even though the original definition is derogatory. My wife and her family are coon-----, and brother can they cook.

OUmillenium
1/31/2007, 11:21 AM
Yeah, quasi-compliment, that's what I meant

85sooners
1/31/2007, 11:35 AM
HAHA COONASSES

RedstickSooner
2/1/2007, 10:32 AM
What does the word "coosass" mean?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Socioeconomic factors appear to influence how Cajuns are likely to view the term: working-class Cajuns tend to regard the word "coonass" as a badge of ethnic pride; whereas middle- and upper-class Cajuns are more likely to regard the term as insulting or degrading, even when used by fellow Cajuns in reference to themselves.

Every so often, Wikipedia gets it wrong. There's no such thing as middle and upper-class Cajuns. When Boudreaux gets some money, he becomes French, though he may refer to it otherwise.

Rich folks aren't Cajuns. That's sort of like calling someone rich poor white trash. It just doesn't make sense.

TexasLidig8r
2/1/2007, 10:47 AM
Every so often, Wikipedia gets it wrong. There's no such thing as middle and upper-class Cajuns. When Boudreaux gets some money, he becomes French, though he may refer to it otherwise.

That's like asking, "When does a Mexican become a Spaniard?"

"When he marries your daughter."

thank you.. thank you very much.. try the veal.

stoopified
2/1/2007, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE=AlbqSooner]Very similar to calling someone a redneck or a good ole boy in Oklahoma/QUOTE]Or an F'ing hillbilly?:)

Beef
2/1/2007, 10:52 AM
Then I took off a running like a motorcycle
Heard the bullets whining and sirens wail
But it took half the cops in Dallas County
Just to put this coon *** boy in jail

So call up Trudy on the telephone
Send her a letter in the mail
Tell her I'm hung up in Dallas
And they won't let me outta this jail

MamaMia
2/1/2007, 08:58 PM
How do we know for sure it was Saben who said that? :confused:

Geekboy
2/1/2007, 09:30 PM
TUSooner is correct. I also live here in Louisiana. Coonass is NOT an offensive term. I'm not sure you really have to be smiling.

I've got my own issues with Saban but what he said is not offensive. This is not a big deal at all.

batonrougesooner
2/2/2007, 01:20 PM
I was surprised by the reaction his comments received. I never understood coon-*** to be quite as derogatory as N word or other "well known" slurs.

I equate it to redneck and f'n hillbilly.

ESPN.com has a pole question regarding whether Saban should be disciplined for his "racist comments".

Give me a break.

85sooners
2/5/2007, 12:35 PM
hehehehehe

oumartin
2/5/2007, 12:57 PM
only question is why did he tell them not to print it?