PDA

View Full Version : OJ MAYO-Wierd incident IMO

Collier11
1/30/2007, 06:03 PM
Here is a sad case of a star HS player being used by a HS ref for publicity...this is sad!!! OJ Mayo dunks the ball and does some taunting and gets T'd up(warrented) then he gets bumped and says a few words to the opposing player. This is where it gets wierd, Mayo walks toward the center of the court,(if you watch he doesnt touch the guy, stare him down, or say anything to him), looks in the direction of another player and gets his 2nd T and ejected. As he approaches the ref to talk to him, protest, whatever? I dont know, the ref just falls down like Mayo had hit him in the back of the head or pushed him. If you watch the video he may have inadvertantly bumped him at best. So now he has to file an injunction cus he could be out for your or atleast 2 games. This is bad, Ive seen bad(and Great) HS refs but this is bad IMO!!!

Click link, scroll down and click on HSS Dream Team on the right of the screen

http://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/5410146.html

boomersooner82
1/30/2007, 06:21 PM
That's crazy! I can see the first T, and maybe even the second because it looks like he's walking past the opposing players to talk some trash some more or something. But there's no way he made enough contact for the ref to fall down like he did. It would however explain why officials are so easily fooled by flopping. Maybe they're just some kind of weaker species that fall easier than the rest of us.

Eielson
1/30/2007, 10:19 PM
For the second tech just watch his hands in his pants. Thats not just adjusting his pants.

I'd need to see another view for that bump.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/31/2007, 09:58 AM
It is weird. Mayo certainly isn't totally innocent but the first couple times I watched the video I thought he punked the official. After watching it a couple more times it is apparent that the official does a flop that would make a soccer player proud. Mayo might deserve one game suspension for 2 technicals but I think that official should be suspended much longer.

C&CDean
1/31/2007, 10:22 AM
I think he should be banned for the rest of the year. Being a punkass punk shouldn't be tolerated. I blame the POS NBA. If there's a no-dunk rule in warm-ups, and he violated it, then followed it up by being a punk, **** him.

I'm so sick of the taunting, dancing, look-at-me-cause-I'm-a-badass-gangsta-yo mentality of the players and the ignorant fans who eat that no-class horse**** up I wanna puke. **** him. Act like a responsible person and you play. Act like an Iverson wannabe and you sit.

Boomer.....
1/31/2007, 11:12 AM
:pop:

sanantoniosooner
1/31/2007, 11:15 AM
That ref was looking for a chance to make a statement. It didn't take much.

Collier11
1/31/2007, 11:20 AM
I think he should be banned for the rest of the year. Being a punkass punk shouldn't be tolerated. I blame the POS NBA. If there's a no-dunk rule in warm-ups, and he violated it, then followed it up by being a punk, **** him.

I'm so sick of the taunting, dancing, look-at-me-cause-I'm-a-badass-gangsta-yo mentality of the players and the ignorant fans who eat that no-class horse**** up I wanna puke. **** him. Act like a responsible person and you play. Act like an Iverson wannabe and you sit.

2 THINGS! It wasnt in warm-ups, the dunk was within the game. Yes he does deserve atleast a one game supsension for taunting and being a punk, but he did not shove that ref. Second, if you keep up with Iverson he has actually changed alot and is a hell of a team player and stays out of trouble for about the last 5 years atleast.

Boomer.....
1/31/2007, 11:26 AM
It almost seems as if the ref tripped. Did he accuse the player of hitting or pushing him?

fwsooner22
1/31/2007, 11:29 AM

100% agreed......I have attended approximately 15 high school games in Texas this season....The "punk" element is everywhere....In my opinion that ref was scared of that kid and wanted a chance to teach him a lesson. ..He was wrong but there is no reason for that kid to approach a ref....That kid needs to be suspended for the rest of the season. He needs to grow up. The ref needs to be disciplined too.

Look, we are in danger of not having guys who want to ref these games due to the fact that it just isn't worth it. Kids are in control of the games, parents threaten from the stands. If you even looked at a referee in the 70's-80's you were T-d up. Now, you get to approach them and make gestures. It has to stop or there will be no referees.

We now have 3 policemen at every 7th grade game not high school where there are 10 or so. What does that tell you? It is no longer a safe environment.

starrca23
1/31/2007, 03:03 PM
Guys go back and watch the official. After the first technical he watches OJ the whole time until he t's him up again.

JohnnyMack
1/31/2007, 03:22 PM
First T warranted? Probably.

Second T warranted? Possibly. Looks like Mayo may have said something as he walked by.

Did the ref take an unnecessary dive? Pavel Bure gave him a 9.8. The ref just stopped short and Mayo ran into him. Mayo didn't shove him.

Is :dean: a mean old fart? Yes.

Collier11
1/31/2007, 03:24 PM
100% agreed......I have attended approximately 15 high school games in Texas this season....The "punk" element is everywhere....In my opinion that ref was scared of that kid and wanted a chance to teach him a lesson. ..He was wrong but there is no reason for that kid to approach a ref....That kid needs to be suspended for the rest of the season. He needs to grow up. The ref needs to be disciplined too.

Look, we are in danger of not having guys who want to ref these games due to the fact that it just isn't worth it. Kids are in control of the games, parents threaten from the stands. If you even looked at a referee in the 70's-80's you were T-d up. Now, you get to approach them and make gestures. It has to stop or there will be no referees.

We now have 3 policemen at every 7th grade game not high school where there are 10 or so. What does that tell you? It is no longer a safe environment.

Based on what you just said, maybe the parents and adults need to start being held accountable? If the kid is on the court talking sh*t he probably sees his momma or daddy up in the stands raising hell and being unruly. When I played ball I knew my parents were there and I knew if I made an azz out of myself or them, I was gonna get it. The parents nowadays think everyone is out to get "their" kids and they get way out of hand.

fwsooner22
1/31/2007, 03:25 PM
Guys go back and watch the official. After the first technical he watches OJ the whole time until he t's him up again.

Every official keeps an eye on a guy who he T's up......right or wrong that's how it is.....OJ needs an attitude adjustment and the ref needs to chill out. It happens in almost every high school game.

I gave up officiating because it will ruin your life if your are not careful.

I would advise you to be wary of whose side you are on with regard to officials. Its not a job that you want.

fwsooner22
1/31/2007, 03:28 PM
Based on what you just said, maybe the parents and adults need to start being held accountable? If the kid is on the court talking sh*t he probably sees his momma or daddy up in the stands raising hell and being unruly. When I played ball I knew my parents were there and I knew if I made an azz out of myself or them, I was gonna get it. The parents nowadays think everyone is out to get "their" kids and they get way out of hand.

Ya said it perfectly................It's parents for the most part.........but coaches can be a big deterrent....if they choose to be..........

Collier11
1/31/2007, 03:30 PM
I dont think anyone is saying that Mayo is innocent here, I think what most are saying and I know I am is that the ref used a situation involving a high-profile hs athlete and escalated it for NO reason at all. Since we dont have audio and werent there we cant say if the second T was warranted or not so give him the 2 game suspension but that fall he took was rediculous. He acted like the kid took off running and just form tackled him when at best, he may have inadvertantly bumped him due to the momentum of him going forward and the ref moving back.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/31/2007, 05:14 PM
I dont think anyone is saying that Mayo is innocent here, I think what most are saying and I know I am is that the ref used a situation involving a high-profile hs athlete and escalated it for NO reason at all. Since we dont have audio and werent there we cant say if the second T was warranted or not so give him the 2 game suspension but that fall he took was rediculous. He acted like the kid took off running and just form tackled him when at best, he may have inadvertantly bumped him due to the momentum of him going forward and the ref moving back.

Yeah, the story here isn't Mayo. He might be arguably the top recruit in the country and while he certainly isn't getting the sportsmanship star for this week I've seen a lot worse. A 1-2 game suspension is probably appropriate.

The official on the other hand took a big time flop and it appeared was looking to be the show. Mayo shouldn't have bumped him AT ALL, agreed but he was barely nudged and he dove like he was the human cannonball.

fwsooner22
1/31/2007, 05:55 PM
Yeah, the story here isn't Mayo. He might be arguably the top recruit in the country and while he certainly isn't getting the sportsmanship star for this week I've seen a lot worse. A 1-2 game suspension is probably appropriate.

The official on the other hand took a big time flop and it appeared was looking to be the show. Mayo shouldn't have bumped him AT ALL, agreed but he was barely nudged and he dove like he was the human cannonball.

No high school athlete should be following a ref to the scorers table. The whole team ended up there. That was an ugly situation that would have never happened if he just took the first T (which he deserved) and moved on. Following a ref is normally intended to intimidate. When you are a foot or more shorter than the kid it is simple a scarry situation. I think he fell because he was scarred he was about to get hit.

Bad all the way around.

Getem
1/31/2007, 08:30 PM
You guys need to read the Huntington coach's report. If he is to be believed, the ref was gunning for Mayo from the start of the game.

fwsooner22
1/31/2007, 09:10 PM
You guys need to read the Huntington coach's report. If he is to be believed, the ref was gunning for Mayo from the start of the game.

They have two big games coming up. That coach is gonna say anything to keep his player eligible.....:cool: :twinkies: :pop:

FaninAma
1/31/2007, 09:49 PM
Kid needs to be suspended for the whole season. It doesn't matter if he bumped the ref or not....he shouldn't have been anywhere near the ref.

Where was the coach during all of this?

Scott D
1/31/2007, 09:55 PM

in most places 2 of those 3 policemen are because you can't trust the parents in the stands. Like that volleyball dad up here who attacked the official, a coach, AND at least 1 other person in the stands.

Sooner_Bob
1/31/2007, 10:55 PM
That video was pathetic in so many ways.

From the actions (or lack of actions) of the players, coaches and officials.

SleestakSooner
2/1/2007, 10:14 AM
Weak sauce... these are at the oldest 18-year-old kids. It is not the refs place to teach these kids. It is only his job to make sure the game is played fairly. The dive that the ref took and his actions leading up to it were not those of a man. Looked more like Sic'Em out there trying to ref a game.

stoopified
2/1/2007, 10:22 AM

I'm so sick of the taunting, dancing, look-at-me-cause-I'm-a-badass-gangsta-yo mentality of the players and the ignorant fans who eat that no-class horse**** up I wanna puke. **** him. Act like a responsible person and you play. Act like an Iverson wannabe and you sit.Ditto.

fwsooner22
2/1/2007, 10:35 AM
Weak sauce... these are at the oldest 18-year-old kids. It is not the refs place to teach these kids. It is only his job to make sure the game is played fairly. The dive that the ref took and his actions leading up to it were not those of a man. Looked more like Sic'Em out there trying to ref a game.

As I understand it he is 18 which make him a man (at least old enough to go to war/not buy beer) and old enough to know better than to chase down a ref, especially one who had already let him know he wasn't going to put up with anything.

Did you not see the whole team surround that ref at the table. What do you think they were doing exchanging recepies? That was a mob scene. Yes, the ref was involved in this, you bet, and he needs to answer some questions. However, no player gets to follow a ref to the scorers table and "have their say". Some of you guys need to ref a game. I promise it will give a whole new perspective.

FaninAma
2/1/2007, 12:21 PM
As I understand it he is 18 which make him a man (at least old enough to go to war/not buy beer) and old enough to know better than to chase down a ref, especially one who had already let him know he wasn't going to put up with anything.

Did you not see the whole team surround that ref at the table. What do you think they were doing exchanging recepies? That was a mob scene. Yes, the ref was involved in this, you bet, and he needs to answer some questions. However, no player gets to follow a ref to the scorers table and "have their say". Some of you guys need to ref a game. I promise it will give a whole new perspective.

If the entire team was surrounding the referee then the whole team needs to be suspended the rest of the year. That gangsta BS doesn't have any place on a basketball court.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/1/2007, 02:26 PM
I think there are 2 seperate issues at play. Regardless of what punishment is given to Mayo, whether you think he should sit a game, the whole year or face death by firing squad there is definitely a problem with the officials behavior and that concerns me more than how long Mayo is suspended.

fwsooner22
2/1/2007, 02:29 PM
I think there are 2 seperate issues at play. Regardless of what punishment is given to Mayo, whether you think he should sit a game, the whole year or face death by firing squad there is definitely a problem with the officials behavior and that concerns me more than how long Mayo is suspended.

No doubt there are two, examples of bad "court" behavior. However, what happens if he does nothing to get the first T? Does nothing to get the second T? What happens if he does not follow the ref to the table?

Collier11
2/1/2007, 03:13 PM
Have you ever played sports?....Sometimes you lose your cool!

Scott D
2/1/2007, 03:16 PM
Some of you guys need to ref a game. I promise it will give a whole new perspective.

no thanks, I've dealt with enough asses that were given the unfortunate ability to procreate to know that being a ref on any level is too stressful to deal with.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/1/2007, 05:18 PM
I've got a little perspective. I was an umpire for about 8-10 years growing up, Little League, Senior League and American Legion plus I've done some basketball officiating which I'll say is much tougher. I dealt with my share of crazy parents, coaches and disrespectul players from time to time. So I have a pretty good appreciation in general of officials.

There are some people that have no business being referees, umpires,etc. I'll give you one, Hunter Wendelstat. His dad was one of the better umpires in the major leagues for a long time. Hunter (at least 10-15 years ago) was a hothead, showoff umpire with a chip on his shoulder that you could see from space.

I played baseball in a summer league in Illinois one year and he was an umpire there. He tossed my manager twice that summer. My manager said he had never even been closed to being tossed before. The second time he probably had it coming but it was Hunter again. I also saw the guy toss out a couple players on another team.

A few years later I'm playing minor league baseball (I was a pitcher) and Hunter Wendelstet was umpiring in rookie league. He was neither better or better temepered. Of course he is now an umpire in the major leagues and about 3-4 times a year on sportscenter I watch him toss some manager from a game and I have to roll my eyes.

Just so I'm clear I'm by and large officials get a undeserved bad rap but something is real fishy about this guy. Mayo might be a hothead, the other players may have been out of line as well and the coach might not have very good control of his team but my gut reaction after watching that video several times and from some of the comments I've read is that the referee had his own ax to grind.

Jimminy Crimson
2/1/2007, 07:18 PM
The refs should be suspended.

And to the other team: don't have a porous defense, allowing him to dunk, and he won't taunt.

Simple solution. :texan:

fwsooner22
2/2/2007, 01:31 PM
Have you ever played sports?....Sometimes you lose your cool!

and when you lose your cool you pay the price and if you still lose your cool you get tossed.

There isn't anybody on this board who has not played sports.

boomersooner82
2/2/2007, 02:03 PM

Does NCAA Football on PS2 count? Because if not, then I haven't.

I don't like athletes (at any level) with attitudes, and that goes for any Sooners who celebrate after every big play or act like it's the first time they've won anything. But even more, I can't stand the lack of accountability of officials on all levels. These guys are human and they're going to let their biases show at some point, especially when there's no consequence for doing so. I hate the lack of consistency from game to game and play to play, and I hate how protected they are.

fwsooner22
2/2/2007, 02:34 PM
Does NCAA Football on PS2 count? Because if not, then I haven't.

I don't like athletes (at any level) with attitudes, and that goes for any Sooners who celebrate after every big play or act like it's the first time they've won anything. But even more, I can't stand the lack of accountability of officials on all levels. These guys are human and they're going to let their biases show at some point, especially when there's no consequence for doing so. I hate the lack of consistency from game to game and play to play, and I hate how protected they are.

Based on the amount of time my son spends on PS2 it must count.....;)

C&CDean
2/2/2007, 03:16 PM
Some of you guys are still completely missing the point here and it's why this crap goes on in the first place.

The kid broke the rules. After that, it doesn't matter any more. Get it? If the little punkass hadn't broke the rules - twice - we wouldn't be talking about this. If he hadn't broken the rules, the ref never would have even had his opportunity to take a dive.

Trying to explain/condone/rationalize thug behavior doesn't work. Once the kid ****ed up, all bets are off.

fwsooner22
2/2/2007, 03:21 PM
Some of you guys are still completely missing the point here and it's why this crap goes on in the first place.

The kid broke the rules. After that, it doesn't matter any more. Get it? If the little punkass hadn't broke the rules - twice - we wouldn't be talking about this. If he hadn't broken the rules, the ref never would have even had his opportunity to take a dive.

Trying to explain/condone/rationalize thug behavior doesn't work. Once the kid ****ed up, all bets are off.

There is simply nothing more that needs to be said after that.

BigRedJed
2/2/2007, 03:50 PM
I'm not even getting involved in the discussion related to this video, but Dean, your opinion of the NBA is really stuck in the '90s. I was sort of expecting the same as you were until seeing it up close over the past two seasons.

The league has taken huge measures to take the thuggery out of the game, on and off the court, from changing the dress code to teeing guys up for next to nothing. Am I saying every player in the NBA is somebody you'd want your kids to grow up emulating? Not at all, but there are quite a few guys in that league who would make great role models, and the thugs aren't out front these days. At all. Don't paint them all with the same brush.

I'll guarantee you the game is more family-friendly than the NFL. Come to a game with me some night. For real. Get out of your friend's suite and all of the uppity BS, come down near courtside with me. Have a beer with me, and Jimminy, and Boarder, and your boy Doleo. Besides, the Honeybees sit about 3 feet in front of me. For real. The view by itself is worth coming to the game for.

C&CDean
2/2/2007, 04:35 PM
I'll guarantee you the game is more family-friendly than the NFL. Come to a game with me some night. For real. Get out of your friend's suite and all of the uppity BS, come down near courtside with me. Have a beer with me, and Jimminy, and Boarder, and your boy Doleo. Besides, the Honeybees sit about 3 feet in front of me. For real. The view by itself is worth coming to the game for.

"uppity BS??" Dude, free admission/booze/food/close-circuit TV ain't uppity, it's righteous.

How many games are left this year? I'll try to make it to one, but we're gonna have to go out and eat/get likkered up before the game cause my accountant won't let me pay $9 for a 3.2 beer in a plastic cup.

C&CDean
2/2/2007, 04:36 PM
Oh yeah, and no Doleo.

Collier11
2/2/2007, 04:38 PM
and when you lose your cool you pay the price and if you still lose your cool you get tossed.

I realize that, I wasnt saying that he shouldnt be punished. What I was saying is that he got T'd up, he lost his cool. It happens all the time whether its right or wrong. What the ref did was rediculous and he should be punished also

C&CDean
2/2/2007, 04:51 PM
I realize that, I wasnt saying that he shouldnt be punished. What I was saying is that he got T'd up, he lost his cool. It happens all the time whether its right or wrong. What the ref did was rediculous and he should be punished also

If a guy falls down what rule is he breaking?

Your argument is ridiculous. If you're one of those people who play sports, get a foul or penalty or bad call against you and you go off then you're one of those people who needs a) be suspended from that sport forever, and b) get your *** kicked.

Collier11
2/2/2007, 04:55 PM
I never said that Dean. But you cant honestly watch that video and say that the fall he took was legit can you? Whether he was bumped or not I agree with you that Mayo was in the wrong for even approaching him, but he certaintly didnt push the guy or make him fall in such a violent manner!

Scott D
2/2/2007, 04:55 PM

Your argument is ridiculous. If you're one of those people who play sports, get a foul or penalty or bad call against you and you go off then you're one of those people who needs a) be suspended from that sport forever, and b) get your *** kicked.

1. I got suspended for the rest of the season
2. The ref WAS blind
3. That pitcher deserved that bat flying back at him
4. I blame Earl Weaver for any poor sportsmanship I showed as a kid growing up in Maryland at the time.

BigRedJed
2/2/2007, 04:57 PM
"uppity BS??" Dude, free admission/booze/food/close-circuit TV ain't uppity, it's righteous.

How many games are left this year? I'll try to make it to one, but we're gonna have to go out and eat/get likkered up before the game cause my accountant won't let me pay $9 for a 3.2 beer in a plastic cup.
SWEET!! I'll be guaranteed to get some good stories for the board out of this. And since beer is only $6 at the FC, I'll buy. But I'm still good with getting liquored up and possibly having a steak before the game.

Oh, and if I could swing some floor seats (it's been known to happen), they'll actually bring our booze to us in our seats. REAL booze.

BigRedJed
2/2/2007, 04:58 PM
Oh yeah, and no Doleo.
Heh.

BigRedJed
2/2/2007, 05:00 PM
And there are around 15 home games left.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/2/2007, 05:27 PM

Dean. I'm not defending Mayo at all. I don't know that I'd have him lined up and shot or tea-bagged by a leopard seal but I don't question he asked for getting himself in trouble. So I really don't care whether he suits up again this year or not.

My take is that it appears to me that the official was auditioning for a world cup soccer team. I know Ed Hightower probably wouldn't be breaking any rule if someone lightly bumped him from behind and he dove across the scorers table but I don't think the NCAA or the Big 12 would see the humor in it.

Gordon Riese or the guys who did the football game against Texas Tech in Lubbock in 2005 didn't technically break any rules either.

I've just seen some pro-wrestling that looked more real than that officials dive.

leavingthezoo
2/2/2007, 06:12 PM
here's another angle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkt4YdLdXjM)

Collier11
2/2/2007, 06:44 PM
So dean, after watching that being the big bad *** that you are ;)... you woulda let that guy elbow you without retaliating.?? It is apparent that the first T may not have even been warranted. yes it looks like he bumped the ref a smidge but the way that guy fell is rediculous.

Sooner_Bob
2/2/2007, 07:57 PM
here's another angle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkt4YdLdXjM)

There's not a guy on here who would've let that go . . . I guess what bugs me most of all is that there's two refs right next to Mayo when he get's the second T. I realize they're worrying about keeping the teams separated, but come on, they could've still called a T if it warranted it. The dude farthest away didn't have any business calling another one.

I'm sure there's never been any more hardcore taunting in any of the other games this dude has officiated at all.:rolleyes: