PDA

View Full Version : Belated review of Chuck Long's first season

aztecwilliam
1/30/2007, 04:35 PM
Ouch! And you feel badly remembering that statue of liberty play against Boise!!!! Some may remember that I predicted 7 to 9 wins for SDSU in '06 with 6-6 possible as a worst case scenario.

Actual results, 3-9, the worst San Diego State has done since 1983! And several of the losses were really, really embarrasing. 47-17 against Young Borg University (a common nickname on AztecTalk.com for BYU), 38-7 vs Utah, 52-0 vs TCU, etc.

But there was worse. We lost to Cal Poly (San Louis Obispo), a Division I-AA team. The Mustangs have a good AA program, but there is no way even a poor Division I-A team should have lost to them. (A side note: 7 I-A schools lost to I-AA schools in '06!!) And it appeared to many that unimaginative play calling lost that one and contributed to poor performances in other games as well. "This guy is trying to cram Mid-West football down our throats!!" was more or less the cry of many disgruntled fans.

Furthermore, the defense was really suspect much of the time, even though it returned more or less in tact from the '05 squad.

Now for extenuating circumstances: also know as excuses. :) But seriously, the Aztecs took the biggest hit from injuries of any team I have followed since I started watching football in the early 1950s. There were 17 injuries requiring surgery! Seventeen! And there were other injuries as well. We lost the first two QBs, the team's best RB, best WR, two best TEs, etc., etc.

But I must say that the coaching has to take a lot of the blame. We probably overestimated the team's potential, but still the Aztecs should have beaten Cal Poly and San Jose St., though the Spartans did finish 9-4 with a bowl win, their best season since 1991. There was not much in the way of effective adjustments against TCU. The Frogs passed and passed, while the SDSU game plan was designed to stop the run. No relief in the second half. It was very embarrassing.

We did hold Wisconsin scoreless for two and a half quarters, but could do nothing offensively with an untried QB forced to start. Beat the Air Force, which is always nice; that's the 4th win in five tries against the Falcons. The Aztecs also beat UNLV and Colorado State (in the last game), so we were able to rise above the Bottom 10 list.

All in all, a terrible first year for the Long staff. Recruiting is going fairly well, but one must look at OU and USC and Florida and Ohio St. to see lots of 4 and five star athletes brought on board. We have to do with 2 and 3 star recruits (which, by the way, is similar to what Boise St. gets). I must predict a 5-7 record likely for next year, and plenty of Aztec fans think it will be worse. But, with injuries almost certain to be less a problem, and some important lessons learned by the new coaches, I think the Aztec football team will be much more competitive in '07. If not, Chuck Long will absolutely have to pull a rabbit out of a hat in '08 if he wants to stay in San Diego.

One final note. Chris Ash has been hired as the new DB coach. He comes from Iowa St. He replaces the guy, former DC under Tom Craft, who is now the DC at Tulane under Bob Toledo.

Here is the complete '06 SDSU football schedule.

/31/06 vs. UTEP San Diego, Calif. L, 34-27
09/16/06 at Wisconsin Madison, Wisc. L, 14-0
09/23/06 vs. Utah* San Diego, Calif. L, 38-7
09/30/06 at San Jose State San Jose, Calif. L, 31-10
10/07/06 at Brigham Young* Provo, Utah L, 47-17
10/21/06 vs. Air Force* San Diego, Calif. W, 19-12
10/28/06 vs. Cal Poly San Diego, Calif. L, 16-14
11/04/06 at Wyoming* Laramie, Wyo. L, 27-24
11/11/06 vs. UNLV* San Diego, Calif. W, 21-7
11/18/06 at TCU* Fort Worth, Texas L, 52-0
11/25/06 at New Mexico* Albuquerque, N.M. L, 41-14
12/02/06 vs. Colorado State* San Diego, Calif. W, 17-6

AztecWilliam

Dio
1/30/2007, 04:46 PM
And it appeared to many that unimaginative play calling lost that one and contributed to poor performances in other games as well.

Funny, Chuck never had those problems here.

;)

Desert Sapper
1/30/2007, 05:03 PM
That looks like a decent schedule, although Jeff Sagarin says it's the 60th toughest schedule in football, which makes you slightly better than saxet. Heh.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt06.htm

The_Red_Patriot
1/30/2007, 05:26 PM
to every person who said Chuck Long was a great OC

HAHAHHAHHAHHHAHAHAHAHHA

The Prevent Offense

OklahomaTuba
1/30/2007, 05:56 PM
WOW!!!!

SDSU has fans??????!?!?!?

aztecwilliam
1/30/2007, 06:05 PM

HAHAHHAHHAHHHAHAHAHAHHA

The Prevent Offense

To be fair, Del Miller, not Chuck Long, is the Aztec OC. But, of course, the head coach ultimately has total responsibility. The problem is that, with so many critical injuries to the offense, it is difficult to accurately evalutate the job done by Miller or any of the coaches.

My own view is that coaching was at least somewhat suspect. Only when the team is at more or less full strength and ready to go (i.e., after Spring practice and Fall camp) will be be able to know for sure whether some coaching changes are called for.

Unfortunately, being a non-BCS have-not, SDSU cannot just up and fire a coach and not worry about a contract buy-out. There is also the reality that some programs (case in point: Rutgers) take several years of rough going before a turn-around is possible.

AztecWilliam

OklahomaTuba
1/30/2007, 06:16 PM
Chuck just needs a QB. Once he has that, things will start rolling for you all.

What ever people say about CL, he is one hell of a a QB developer.

Big Red Ron
1/30/2007, 07:13 PM
Couldn't see this one coming. ;)

We don't call him Chuck Third and Long for nuthin.

yermom
1/30/2007, 07:45 PM
with all those injuries and a new system, i think that it's hard to tell anything by that season

beating CSU, AFA and UNLV sounds ok, i think it gives more hope than beating only the "easy" teams on the schedule, or winning early and then tanking later

landrun
1/30/2007, 09:01 PM
I for one am glad Chuck is no longer the OC and I think Wilson did a better job of calling plays. Far better than Long did.

And I will always credit Long with LSU's NC due to him calling a string of pass plays in the 4th qtr when their D was gassed and couldn't stop Kejuan to save their lives. We had #8 in our pocket till he outsmarted himself.

aztecwilliam
1/30/2007, 10:42 PM
Chuck just needs a QB. Once he has that, things will start rolling for you all.

What ever people say about CL, he is one hell of a a QB developer.

There is some irony here. The returning QB starter, junior Kevin O'Connell (6-6, 225) was injured in the first game and missed over half the season. The backup, soph Darren Mougey (6-6, 230), was injured in the fourth game and was out for the season. That left the team with a redshirt freshman to play QB. And who is that young man? He's Kevin Craft (6-5, 200), son of the former coach (and himself a former Aztec QB) Tom Craft.

Mougey is likely to move to another position (WR?) O'Connell did start the last couple of games and is the likely starter next season, but Craft looks good and conceivably could be the starter in '08 and '09.

Oh, by the way, SDSU DOES have fans, but not as many as when Don Coryell and Claude Gilbert were coaching the team to 17 straight winning seasons. Many mistakes in hiring coaches have hurt the program. For instance, following the 2001 season Craft, a very successful JC coach in this area, was hired as Ted Tollner's successor. Instead, the school could have hired Dick Tomey, who just lead San Jose State to their best season in many years.

Final point. The SDSU administration continues to make mistakes. For instance, after saying the Aztecs' future schedules would be more realistic, they have lined up three BCS teams (two went to bowls in '06) for this Fall: Cincinnati, Washington State, and Arizona State. That's one or two too many, in my opinion. I would rather see the team go against Kansas or Idaho.

AztecWilliam

PrideTrombone
1/30/2007, 10:46 PM
There is some irony here. The returning QB starter, junior Kevin O'Connell (6-6, 225) was injured in the first game and missed over half the season. The backup, soph Darren Mougey (6-6, 230), was injured in the fourth game and was out for the season. That left the team with a redshirt freshman to play QB. And who is that young man? He's Kevin Craft (6-5, 200), son of the former coach (and himself a former Aztec QB) Tom Craft.

Mougey is likely to move to another position (WR?) O'Connell did start the last couple of games and is the likely starter next season, but Craft looks good and conceivably could be the starter in '08 and '09.

Oh, by the way, SDSU DOES have fans, but not as many as when Don Coryell and Claude Gilbert were coaching the team to 17 straight winning seasons. Many mistakes in hiring coaches have hurt the program. For instance, following the 2001 season Craft, a very successful JC coach in this area, was hired as Ted Tollner's successor. Instead, the school could have hired Dick Tomey, who just lead San Jose State to their best season in many years.

Final point. The SDSU administration continues to make mistakes. For instance, after saying the Aztecs' future schedules would be more realistic, they have lined up three BCS teams (two went to bowls in '06) for this Fall: Cincinnati, Washington State, and Arizona State. That's one or two too many, in my opinion. I would rather see the team go against Kansas or Idaho.

AztecWilliam

Cincinnati isn't in a BCS conference. Kansas is. Although I think I'd rather play Kansas too. :)

yermom
1/30/2007, 11:20 PM
there are worse BCS teams than Kansas... at least they were bowl eligible last year

royalfan5
1/30/2007, 11:24 PM
Cincinnati isn't in a BCS conference. Kansas is. Although I think I'd rather play Kansas too. :)
Cincinnati is in the Big East now which is a BCS league.

Egeo
1/31/2007, 03:07 AM

HAHAHHAHHAHHHAHAHAHAHHA

The Prevent Offense
i agree he has made mistakes, but im sure you could do better.

yermom
1/31/2007, 03:17 AM

and they are the reason Rutgers didn't win the Big East

or at least a big one

achiro
1/31/2007, 08:01 AM
With that many injuries, you've got to wonder about the conditioning program???

The_Red_Patriot
1/31/2007, 09:59 AM
i agree he has made mistakes, but im sure you could do better.

Thats not what im saying.

I know I dont belong near a coaching booth.

but look at what he couldnt do with PT and RB

Rebuild an offense to better suit them, like KW did

Plus, his playcalling got more bogus every year.

We would be 2003 National Champs if it had not been for his playcalling

Partial Qualifier
1/31/2007, 10:03 AM
"This guy is trying to cram Mid-West football down our throats!!" was more or less the cry of many disgruntled fans.

If I had a nickel for every time I muttered something nasty about "1980's-era Big 10 offense" well.... i'd have a big stack of nickels

Big Red Ron
1/31/2007, 10:14 AM
We would be 2003 National Champs if it had not been for his playcallingThis is a fact.

85sooners
1/31/2007, 12:15 PM

HAHAHHAHHAHHHAHAHAHAHHA

The Prevent Offense
:D :D :D :D

SoonerLB
1/31/2007, 01:48 PM
Yessir! That sums ol' Chuck up, "The Prevent Offense".
Glad you have him out there! :) :) :)

aztecwilliam
1/31/2007, 03:04 PM
With that many injuries, you've got to wonder about the conditioning program???

This is yet another issue that has been kicked around the Aztec fan community. There are opinions on both sides of the question.

I am sticking with my prediction of 5-7 next Fall for the Aztec team. Not much of a season, but if that comes to pass it will count as a distinct improvement. Frankly, I have no idea whether Chuck Long will become a successful head coach. Personally, he has made a very good impression on just about everybody. I spoke with him briefly, and found him quite personable. That contrasts with Tom Craft, who seems to have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. (Slapping a 300 lb O lineman during a team meeting to make a point would be an example. The lineman in question, now on an NFL practice squad, is the son of a teaching colleague of mine, so I got the inside story on that one.)

If there is no great improvement next year, the program will continue its downward path. And I haven't even mentioned the nagging of question of where the Aztecs will play if the Chargers leave San Diego County; many think the City of San Diego, just about broke at present, will want to tear down Qualcomm Stadium for redevelopment purposes. Always something to fret about down here on the border!!! ;)

On the other hand, the weather is terrific! One has to emphasize the positive.

AztecWilliam

OklahomaTuba
1/31/2007, 05:24 PM
We would be 2003 National Champs if it had not been for his playcalling
I doubt we would have even played in the 2003 NC game, if it wasn't for his help re-inventing Jason.

PrideTrombone
1/31/2007, 05:49 PM

Oh crap, you're right. Stupid non-important teams switching conferences. :)

westcoast_sooner
1/31/2007, 05:57 PM
My son lives in SD. Said he went to a SDSU game last year and said it was the worst. Sounds to me like a perfect storm of everything that possibly could go wrong, and did. San Jose St did win their bowl game, so losing to them wasn't so bad.

aztecwilliam
1/31/2007, 06:18 PM
My son lives in SD. Said he went to a SDSU game last year and said it was the worst. Sounds to me like a perfect storm of everything that possibly could go wrong, and did. San Jose St did win their bowl game, so losing to them wasn't so bad.

A year to forget. Reminds me of an old Robert Heinlein story, "The Year of the Jackpot," in which a number of variables all come up snakeyes, resulting in the destruction of the world. Well, 2006 wasn't quite that bad.

I'm afraid to say that things can't get worse, since you know what happens when one says that. Still, I am confident that the Aztecs will do better in '07.

You know things are getting bad when fans start reminiscing about a great season the team had 28 years ago. That was 1979, when SDSU won 8 games and beat Fresno St., Wisconsin, Miami of Florida, Utah, Arizona, and Texas, El Paso all in the same year!!!!

I will keep you posted on Aztec recruiting, Spring practice, and sick bay reports.

AztecWilliam