PDA

View Full Version : Thompson charged with public drunkenness!

BASSooner
1/30/2007, 01:22 PM
yes Charles Thompson plans to appeal his conviction as said on ESPN:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2747866

Desert Sapper
1/30/2007, 01:31 PM
Boy, the media is ruthless. It's bad enough that the guy's image was forever tarnished (and ours, too) by the SI cover. The fact that they bring it up again in a totally unrelated article is somewhat shameless. It sounds like the other people present did not think he was intoxicated. A conviction, however, must mean that he had some alcohol present after a breathalizer or refused to take a breathalizer. I think. Whatever it is, it's sad. I really thought he pulled himself back together. :(

birddog
1/30/2007, 05:49 PM
ya bastard.

olevetonahill
1/30/2007, 07:55 PM
Boy, the media is ruthless. It's bad enough that the guy's image was forever tarnished (and ours, too) by the SI cover. The fact that they bring it up again in a totally unrelated article is somewhat shameless. It sounds like the other people present did not think he was intoxicated. A conviction, however, must mean that he had some alcohol present after a breathalizer or refused to take a breathalizer. I think. Whatever it is, it's sad. I really thought he pulled himself back together. :(
3 cops out weigh 20 witness's . You don't get a breathalyser on a PI charge
I hope he wins ,

AlbqSooner
1/30/2007, 08:55 PM
On a public intox charge the fine and costs are so minimal that many people will just pay and go on. If Thompson hired a lawyer to fight this and plans to appeal, I would guess there is some credibility to the 20 non-cop witnesses.

MamaMia
1/30/2007, 09:20 PM
I'm guessing hes innocent. I can relate.
I received a bill from a crooked building contractor for $400.00 when he actually owed me money. I refused to pay it. He thought he would try to intimidate me by filing a lien on my business. I decided to pay an attorney 4 or 5 times the $400.00 to fight it because of the principle involved, knowing that I would never recover a cent from the scoundrel. I won the case. The contractor went to jail for filing a fraudulent lien. Thats a felony in the state of Oklahoma. It was worth every blessed penny.

Soonrboy
1/30/2007, 09:32 PM
when does that poor guy get to be out of the spotlight? who in the hell cares that he was drunk and disorderly at a hotel?

85sooners
1/30/2007, 10:11 PM
dam!

colleyvillesooner
1/30/2007, 11:37 PM
when does that poor guy get to be out of the spotlight? who in the hell cares that he was drunk and disorderly at a hotel?

Exactly, since when is the arrest of a 20 year past his playing days ex-college player 1st page news?

insuranceman_22
1/30/2007, 11:49 PM
When that 20 year past his playing ex-college player played for the Sooners. It's crappy, but it's true.

Seamus
1/31/2007, 12:12 AM
I'm guessing hes innocent. I can relate.
I received a bill from a crooked building contractor for $400.00 when he actually owed me money. I refused to pay it. He thought he would try to intimidate me by filing a lien on my business. I decided to pay an attorney 4 or 5 times the $400.00 to fight it because of the principle involved, knowing that I would never recover a cent from the scoundrel. I won the case. The contractor went to jail for filing a fraudulent lien. Thats a felony in the state of Oklahoma. It was worth every blessed penny.

I predict the Lifetime network movie of this episode will feature Robert "Have you seen this boy" Patrick as the Contractor and Valerie Bertinelli as MamaMia. :D

GottaHavePride
1/31/2007, 01:16 AM
99.9999% of all cops are bad.

1/31/2007, 02:13 AM
First off, how does one get a public intox charge inside of a motel room? Kind of like A cop knocking on your door, asking you to step outside and throwing a cuffs on you once you get outside. I'm sure Charles probably was not the most friendly to them and that is what got him slapped with that charge. You do have some expectation of privacy in a motel room as you would in your own home. Never heard of any cop being able to come into a home and arrest you over such a mondain charge.

The_Red_Patriot
1/31/2007, 09:55 AM
Exactly, since when is the arrest of a 20 year past his playing days ex-college player 1st page news?

Its the sports media agenda---Make the University of Oklahoma look like ****.

Nothing new

Sooner13
1/31/2007, 11:24 AM
First off, how does one get a public intox charge inside of a motel room? Kind of like A cop knocking on your door, asking you to step outside and throwing a cuffs on you once you get outside. I'm sure Charles probably was not the most friendly to them and that is what got him slapped with that charge. You do have some expectation of privacy in a motel room as you would in your own home. Never heard of any cop being able to come into a home and arrest you over such a mondain charge.

They have been known to do that, disgraceful if you ask me

mojo
1/31/2007, 01:06 PM
CT was on with the hump man on WWLS yesterday. I only got to hear bits and pieces while working, but CT said that no one complained to the group they were to loud and the rent-a-cop showed up around 11:00 asking them to leave, no request to quiet down or anything. Rent-a-cop had already called the police before going up to the room.

CT admitted to having a couple earlier on the day, didn't say how much earlier,but there was no alcohol at the motel. Officer arrived and according to CT he was asked to step out of the room to discuss the matter and officer cuffed him for public intoxication. Apparently if an officer smells alcohol or suspects you of having been drinking they can run you in for PI. Don't know how true that is, if someone knows for sure they can let us know. Thats about all I got.

Sooner13
1/31/2007, 05:08 PM
CT was on with the hump man on WWLS yesterday. I only got to hear bits and pieces while working, but CT said that no one complained to the group they were to loud and the rent-a-cop showed up around 11:00 asking them to leave, no request to quiet down or anything. Rent-a-cop had already called the police before going up to the room.

CT admitted to having a couple earlier on the day, didn't say how much earlier,but there was no alcohol at the motel. Officer arrived and according to CT he was asked to step out of the room to discuss the matter and officer cuffed him for public intoxication. Apparently if an officer smells alcohol or suspects you of having been drinking they can run you in for PI. Don't know how true that is, if someone knows for sure they can let us know. Thats about all I got.

That's pretty much true, anymore they can really do whatever they want. Most of the time it's one person's word against the cops which we all know who will nearly always win that battle. Unlike many people, hopefully CT can pay a decent enough lawyer to get the situation resolved.

stoopified
1/31/2007, 06:32 PM
Have to admit I was worried because I thought at first this was Paul Thompson,not Charles.I think that IF Charles is innocent,he should fight the charges.I know I would.If his name wasn't Charles Thompson I don't think it would be such a major issue and that is UNFAIR.We all know what he did almost 20 years ago but that has no bearing on today and the MEDIA should let it go.By all I have heard and read Charles has turned his lfe around and IS NOT the same person he was back then.Good luck to him.

soonerspudman
1/31/2007, 06:43 PM
SC is running the most corrupt program in the last decade, where's the "investigative journalism"? Nothing. However, an OU player from 20 years ago that most people don't even remember spends days on ESPN's front page for basically a disturbing the peace incident. All of this right in the middle of recruiting crunch time. No rocket science here...

TheHumanAlphabet
2/1/2007, 10:47 AM
3 cops out weigh 20 witness's . You don't get a breathalyser on a PI charge
I hope he wins ,

Something just doesn't sound right with this incident. Not accusing anyone, or taking sides - yet. But this just doesn't sound right.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/1/2007, 10:50 AM
Kind of like A cop knocking on your door, asking you to step outside and throwing a cuffs on you once you get outside.

That's why I will never step outside for a police officer, nor will I let him search my car when asked.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/1/2007, 10:53 AM
That's pretty much true, anymore they can really do whatever they want. Most of the time it's one person's word against the cops which we all know who will nearly always win that battle. Unlike many people, hopefully CT can pay a decent enough lawyer to get the situation resolved.

What if you just ate a rum ball? You can have alcohol on your breath and not be intoxicated.

I worked with a friend at the Weather Channel (death to the weather channel now on their global warming stance) who was also a deputy sheriff and they had fun busting the breath-a-lyzer by eating rum balls at a xmas party. Based on what he said, I will never take a breath-a-lyzer, but request a BAC test.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/1/2007, 10:54 AM
Oh, and F the ****ing rent a cops...