PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT New Orleans update

TUSooner
1/30/2007, 10:26 AM
Whether you love or hate New Orleans, you MUST READ (http://www.theonion.com/content/news/fema_calls_rebuilding_complete_as) this

TheHumanAlphabet
1/30/2007, 10:35 AM
Too Funny!

Okla-homey
1/30/2007, 10:35 AM
Whether you love or hate New Orleans, you MUST READ (http://www.theonion.com/content/news/fema_calls_rebuilding_complete_as) this

That is priceless.

BTW, Miss Mississippi was crowing pretty loud last night on the Miss America Pageant (she was one of the five semi-finalists) how MS has done a much better job of recovery, "because Mississippi people know how to get to work."

Somehow, I think there's more to it than that. I also think that their well-connected elephant guv. had a lot more influence inside the Beltway than the feckless govette in Baton Rouge.

TUSooner
1/30/2007, 10:46 AM
That is priceless.

BTW, Miss Mississippi was crowing pretty loud last night on the Miss America Pageant (she was one of the five semi-finalists) how MS has done a much better job of recovery, "because Mississippi people know how to get to work."

Somehow, I think there's more to it than that. I also think that their well-connected elephant guv. had a lot more influence inside the Beltway than the feckless govette in Baton Rouge.
No, I really think it IS mostly because Mississippi people know how to work.

Here's an anecdote:
Lack of low to moderate cost housing is a major problem. The gub'ents are offering tax credits etc. Problem mainly unsolved. So some "capitalists" come in and say, we're not even going to bother wioth the paper work and the tax credits and all that BS, we're just buying some large ruined apartment complexes and rebuilding them now, on our own. Knoweldgable people predict these entrepreneurs will make a boatload of money, especialy with the first complex to be finished. I hope they make zillions!!. Good for them for acting instead of waiting for a hand.

FaninAma
1/30/2007, 11:24 AM
That is priceless.

Are you saying that Mississippi has gotten more in federal funding than Louisiana and NO?

No other state that has had to deal with the devestation of a single hurricane (or in Florida's case multiple hurricanes) has handled it as ineptly as Louisianna and NO. There a lot of reasons for that and most of it starts at the top with the type of leadership in the statehouses and the quality(or lack thereof) of government at the local level. And the quality of leadership is a direct reflection on the people who voted them into office.

TexasLidig8r
1/30/2007, 11:30 AM
feckless.. what a great word. :)

Although, how often have we used the word, "feck?"

TheHumanAlphabet
1/30/2007, 11:48 AM
That is priceless.

Homey - you need to look no further than Houston and to be specific Southwest Houston to know the reason...NOLA's there have increased the crime and murder rate by 25% and they are still whining they need free rent and assistance. They aren't getting off their arse to work and make it better. But then these people pretty much didn't own anything and were given most things by gub'ment handout or subsidized rent in public housing.

Mississippi, OTOH, went to work and built their communities back. I am sure that projects may not be re-built. But I don't Mississippi had as many projects destroyed as NOLA. Plus many people in MS in that area lived in homes (regardless of condition) rather than public housing.

FaninAma
1/30/2007, 12:21 PM
I know that 65 billion is chump change to the federal government these days and I know that wasting taxpayers dollars by subsidizing stupidity has become an Amercican tradition but the following link puts it into perspective for my kids:

http://mwhodges.home.att.net/debt.htm

BTW, the Onion report would be funny if it weren't so spot on.

Boomer.....
1/30/2007, 12:28 PM
Good stuff!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/30/2007, 12:42 PM

Here's an anecdote:
Lack of low to moderate cost housing is a major problem. The gub'ents are offering tax credits etc. Problem mainly unsolved. So some "capitalists" come in and say, we're not even going to bother wioth the paper work and the tax credits and all that BS, we're just buying some large ruined apartment complexes and rebuilding them now, on our own. Knoweldgable people predict these entrepreneurs will make a boatload of money, especialy with the first complex to be finished. I hope they make zillions!!. Good for them for acting instead of waiting for a hand.+, FWIW to you.

royalfan5
1/30/2007, 01:20 PM
let's not kid ourselves though. It's not like Mississippi had that far to go to rebuild themselves to what they were.

proud gonzo
1/30/2007, 01:40 PM

Although, how often have we used the word, "feck?"http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/12370000/12377521.jpg

Frozen Sooner
1/30/2007, 01:56 PM

Although, how often have we used the word, "feck?"

Father Ted uses it all the time.

And if you haven't watched Father Ted, then feck yeh.

Frozen Sooner
1/30/2007, 01:56 PM

Here's an anecdote:
Lack of low to moderate cost housing is a major problem. The gub'ents are offering tax credits etc. Problem mainly unsolved. So some "capitalists" come in and say, we're not even going to bother wioth the paper work and the tax credits and all that BS, we're just buying some large ruined apartment complexes and rebuilding them now, on our own. Knoweldgable people predict these entrepreneurs will make a boatload of money, especialy with the first complex to be finished. I hope they make zillions!!. Good for them for acting instead of waiting for a hand.

I always get a good charge when I read The Fountainhead. I highly recommend it.

landrun
1/30/2007, 09:09 PM
The Onion is great. We read it at the office every day.

http://sportspickle.com/ is very funny too. I think they're both updated weekly.

VeeJay
1/30/2007, 09:56 PM
From what I've seen, it's more church groups - from every where - steadily coming into coastal Mississippi to help with re-building, and lending support in ways the government is not conditioned for. The inept government should learn to just step aside. They can't even deliver a truckload of ice without a bureaucrat f*cking it up.

PhxSooner
1/30/2007, 10:04 PM
My dad's family lives in SW LA (Sulphur), and got hit really hard by Rita. My aunt and uncle lived in their RV parked in their driveway as they fixed up the house and neighborhood. The refinery was still functioning, so my uncle went to work every day, and came home and worked on his house at night. They weren't happy with the situation, but they knew that living 50 miles from the Gulf meant an inevitable hurricane.

olevetonahill
1/30/2007, 10:08 PM
My dad's family lives in SW LA (Sulphur), and got hit really hard by Rita. My aunt and uncle lived in their RV parked in their driveway as they fixed up the house and neighborhood. The refinery was still functioning, so my uncle went to work every day, and came home and worked on his house at night. They weren't happy with the situation, but they knew that living 50 miles from the Gulf meant an inevitable hurricane.
So they Nutted up and got on with Living ?
what a concept
good on em

PhxSooner
1/30/2007, 10:12 PM
So they Nutted up and got on with Living ?
what a concept
good on em
Go figure. The whole neighborhood did. My dad grew up there, and when a hurricane hit, you left town or went to the high school, waited it out, went home, and cleaned up.

olevetonahill
1/30/2007, 10:15 PM
Go figure. The whole neighborhood did. My dad grew up there, and when a hurricane hit, you left town or went to the high school, waited it out, went home, and cleaned up.
Its all a part of livin aint it . Life smacks you down you get the hell up dust off and keep on

jacru
1/30/2007, 10:20 PM
At least when Col. Steve Austin (The Six Million Dollar Man) got torn up, they rebuilt him better than he was.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/scifitv/images/SixMillion.jpg

SoonerGirl06
1/30/2007, 11:13 PM

Sounds about right for the amount of money we sent down there... oh wait, I forgot... The politicans got it... not the victims.

tbl
1/30/2007, 11:32 PM
Homey - you need to look no further than Houston and to be specific Southwest Houston to know the reason...NOLA's there have increased the crime and murder rate by 25% and they are still whining they need free rent and assistance. They aren't getting off their arse to work and make it better. But then these people pretty much didn't own anything and were given most things by gub'ment handout or subsidized rent in public housing.

My grandpa had a friend (an old white dude) that was shot in Houston just the other day. They waited till he got out of his car at his house and demanded he give them his wallet, keys, etc. Old guy took off and they shot him in the back, killed him dead on the spot.

Obviously you can't prove these scumbags are from NO, but it's in line with the stats.