PDA

View Full Version : Stoops Makes 10% of Football Revenue

SoCal
1/29/2007, 07:53 PM
According to John Vrooman, sports economist at Vanderbilt University, most collegiate coaching salaries should be somewhere between four and five percent of the school's football revenue. With Nick Saban's hiring for $4 million a year, Alabama is paying him 9 percent of its football budget. According to the United States Department of Education, Alabama football generated $44,426,312 from July 1, 2005, to June 30, 2006. "This (percentage) is twice of what the acceptable, reasonable salary is I think a school can get away with," Vrooman said. Auburn football generated $51,598,921 in revenue during that span. Head coach Tommy Tuberville makes a reported $2,231,000, which is 4.3 percent. The University of Florida generated $48,194,552 in football revenue during that time period and pays its coach, Urban Meyer, $1,524,550. That's 3.3 percent of its football budget. Les Miles, who replaced Saban as LSU's head coach, makes $1.45 million, about 3.7 percent of the Bengal Tigers� football budget. Tennessee head coach Phillip Fulmer's salary is at 7.3 percent, but the Vols� football revenue has dropped from around $46 million to $27,732,427. Alabama is not the only school with a high percentage level. Oklahoma pays Bob Stoops $3.45 million, which is at 10 percent, and Notre Dame pay Charlie Weis a reported $3.3 million, which is 5.3 percent.

http://www.benmaller.com/

OUinFLA
1/29/2007, 08:06 PM
Vanderbilt..........a football economic powerhouse.

Harry Beanbag
1/29/2007, 08:07 PM
I think Vanderbilt is the key word in this thread. :)

oumartin
1/29/2007, 08:25 PM
think we need a bigger stadium to bring up revenue. Course if Joe C. would allow beer sales.

FaninAma
1/29/2007, 09:17 PM
http://www.forbes.com/2006/12/22/college-football-ncaa-business_cz_jg_1222collegefootball.html

I think basing the formula just on revenue does not give an accurate picture of the total economic impact a program has on the University and community. I think this Forbes article gives a more accurate picture of the value of a top 10 program. According to these figures Stoop's salary is not out of line.

yermom
1/29/2007, 09:22 PM
personally, i think the threshold should be 15%

TXBOOMER
1/29/2007, 10:13 PM
If Stoops wouldn't have came here his salary would be equivalent to 100% of the football income. Give him a raise. F texass and Boomer Sooner

cvsooner
1/29/2007, 10:17 PM
Wow...according to the Forbes article, there's three from the Big 10 (OSU, Michigan and Wisconsin), three from the Big 12 (OU, Whorns and A & M), Notre Dame (#1...yuck) and the other eight are all from the SEC.

Holy cow. Says a lot about regional differences, doesn't it?

OU ranked ninth, by the way, overall, in the middle of the Big 12 values.

OUinFLA
1/29/2007, 10:18 PM
Wonder how much football revenue Vandy brings in?

SoCal
1/29/2007, 10:33 PM
Wonder how much football revenue Vandy brings in?

Not much compared to the forbes figures...but, I'd rather have an econ degree from Vanderbilt then say LSU or South Carolina.

franklinjake
1/29/2007, 10:49 PM
think we need a bigger stadium to bring up revenue. Course if Joe C. would allow beer sales.

Yep, I seriously think if we had 120,000 seats, we could have them all sold out with Season Ticket Holders, look at the huge waiting list!!!

goingoneight
1/29/2007, 11:09 PM

I can deal with drinking before or after the game, but with all of the rednecks and rude people, nine times out of ten, none of them even have a relative at or from OU, coming into the game, I don't feel we need to be serving beer in the stadium. We already have a reputation for rude fans, and I for one am not rude to the opponent, so the stereotype ****es me off.

Jerk
1/29/2007, 11:17 PM
...and worth every damned penny.

TXBOOMER nailed it. Did the author take into account the impact of what each coach has had on his program? (you know, before and after?)

Seamus
1/29/2007, 11:22 PM
If Stoops wouldn't have came here his salary would be equivalent to 100% of the football income. Give him a raise. F texass and Boomer Sooner

Post of the year.

OK, the week. But it's in the running. :texan:

insuranceman_22
1/30/2007, 12:23 AM

Nicely stated, I agree 100%

insuranceman_22
1/30/2007, 12:26 AM
I can deal with drinking before or after the game, but with all of the rednecks and rude people, nine times out of ten, none of them even have a relative at or from OU, coming into the game, I don't feel we need to be serving beer in the stadium. We already have a reputation for rude fans, and I for one am not rude to the opponent, so the stereotype ****es me off.

Did you go to the Sugar Bowl agains lsu? That was rude.....it'll take more than beer to get us to that. While I do understand your point & it is valid, I disagree with it, let the beer flow.

MojoRisen
1/30/2007, 12:55 AM

Would be about another 20 million in revenue for sure...

GottaHavePride
1/30/2007, 12:57 AM
Wait, WE have a rep for rude fans? We have a rep for a slightly rude student section, and pretty damn good fans the rest of the way around.

Colorado, now... THEY suck at life.

1stTimeCaller
1/30/2007, 03:55 AM
I don't know how you could put a number on it but I'll try. It is my opinion that Bob Stoops is responsible for $250MM plus of that half billion that was raised a few years ago for the University, not the athletics department.

Ike
1/30/2007, 06:17 AM
http://www.forbes.com/2006/12/22/college-football-ncaa-business_cz_jg_1222collegefootball.html

I think basing the formula just on revenue does not give an accurate picture of the total economic impact a program has on the University and community. I think this Forbes article gives a more accurate picture of the value of a top 10 program. According to these figures Stoop's salary is not out of line.
according to those figures, we are keeping the conference afloat.

we generate 15.6 mil for the conference, Tejas and aTm generate 2-3.

soonerboomer93
1/30/2007, 07:29 AM
winning conference championships and playing in BCS games almost yearly kinda does that

stonecoldsoonerfan
1/30/2007, 08:52 AM
I can deal with drinking before or after the game, but with all of the rednecks and rude people, nine times out of ten, none of them even have a relative at or from OU, coming into the game, I don't feel we need to be serving beer in the stadium.

agree with this 100%. kudos for having the guts to say it.

MamaMia
1/30/2007, 09:58 AM
The more successful and victorious our coaching staff and athletes are, the more money the university makes. I'm sure that Mr. Castiglione would agree that Stoops earns his keep by winning ball games.

About our fan base:
I know I'm showing my age when I say this but I have been to so many away games I don't even care to count anymore. It has been my experience that OU fans are not anymore rude than other fans and in most cases Sooner fans are less rude. I know for a fact that the fans as a whole were alot nicer back in my days as a student in the mid 70s, and shortly thereafter. The attitudes of people in general have changed. We have become less polite and more disrespectful as a society.

If I were to rank a university's fans, I would put Alabama fans at the top with OUs fans at a close 2nd. The Crimson Tide fans are the most polite and hospitable group we have ever encountered, with the osu and LSU fans on the rock bottom of the scale. My husband seems to think that along with the LSU fans that the Miami fans were just as God awful, however I have never been to a game against Miami. I was either expecting a baby, or home with the little ones back then, so I cant speak in that regard.

LSUdeek
1/30/2007, 10:24 AM
If I were to rank a university's fans, I would put Alabama fans at the top with OUs fans at a close 2nd. The Crimson Tide fans are the most polite and hospitable group we have ever encountered, with the osu and LSU fans on the rock bottom of the scale. My husband seems to think that along with the LSU fans that the Miami fans were just as God awful, however I have never been to a game against Miami. I was either expecting a baby, or home with the little ones back then, so I cant speak in that regard.

Your team hasn't been to our stadium. Ask the Arizona (2006) and Oregon State (2004) fans how they were treated at our house.

85sooners
1/30/2007, 10:27 AM
:eek:

MamaMia
1/30/2007, 10:48 AM
Your team hasn't been to our stadium. Ask the Arizona (2006) and Oregon State (2004) fans how they were treated at our house.
Isn't Arizona the team who's bus carrying the coaches wife got attacked by flying objects thrown by LSU fans, or was that some other guests LSU was hosting? Where were all your nice fans during the OU/LSU Sugar Bowl? I ask because 70% of that stadium was filled with a collection of the most annoying, rude, low class and nasty pimples on the face of humanity I have ever seen in my life.

birddog
1/30/2007, 11:16 AM

it's pretty easy to be nice when you kick a team 41-3.

stoopified
1/30/2007, 11:21 AM
it's pretty easy to be nice when you kick a team 41-3.True dat.

Luthor
1/30/2007, 11:39 AM
In that case, I'm guessing no one wants to know what percentage of the "take" Mike Krezzeuxwski (I forget the other consanants) is getting for coaching basketball at Duke. I think he gets 100% of the shoe deal money from Nike or Reebok (whatever) to make up the difference that the school can't cover in salary.

yermom
1/30/2007, 12:07 PM

i can accept this after seeing the difference between the NU fans in Lincoln vs the NU fans in KC

real fans that frequent games are usually not that bad to deal with, in my experience

Jason White's Third Knee
1/30/2007, 12:15 PM

We don't have a rep for rude fans. Ok, texas might think we are rude, but that's about it. We have a rep for cool fans.:cool:

Jason White's Third Knee
1/30/2007, 12:25 PM

Ok, I'm gonna go ask them right now.

~

~

~

~

Yeah, um, they said you suck.

Anyway, your fans were a lot of fun before the game (some were dicks, but that is to be expected) after the game.... worst fans ever.

Colorado gets the nod for consistantly pathetic fans. TT is trying hard to be colorado, but they just don't have the stuff. osu... like a little a-hole kid brother.

OSUAggie
1/30/2007, 12:26 PM
Texas A&M continues to lead the way for the Big 12's planned cable network

I haven't heard about this... Anybody know anything?

yermom
1/30/2007, 12:56 PM
you mean other than FSSW?

Desert Sapper
1/30/2007, 12:56 PM
I can't view the article. Still,

I don't see that it's possible that OU only generated $34.5M last year (which would be the 100% if Bob's $3.45M is 10%).

OU had 507,366 people attend its home games last year. That alone would guarantee a higher figure than $34.5M, given that average ticket cost is higher than $70.

The revenue sharing from the Big XII for national television is $200,000 per game.

OU had 12 games that were nationally televized last year (only MTSU wasn't) excluding the Fiesta. That alone is nearly enough to cover Bob's salary.

Consider merchandizing, consider parking, consider the BCS revenue share.

It just doesn't seem possible that the paltry $3.45M (yeah, paltry) that Stoops earns every year isn't even close to 10% of the total earnings of the team. Discount the expenditures of the team, and it might be remotely close, but I'm thinking closer to 5% than 10%.

OSUAggie
1/30/2007, 12:59 PM
you mean other than FSSW?

I'm assuming so... FSSW covers Dallas/Houston as far as I can tell. Nothing more.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/30/2007, 01:00 PM
Isn't Arizona the team who's bus carrying the coaches wife got attacked by flying objects thrown by LSU fans, or was that some other guests LSU was hosting? Where were all your nice fans during the OU/LSU Sugar Bowl? I ask because 70% of that stadium was filled with a collection of the most annoying, rude, low class and nasty pimples on the face of humanity I have ever seen in my life....so, it's safe to say you're sorta fence-sitting and undecided about the tigerbates???

47straight
1/30/2007, 01:30 PM
Vanderbilt may have a good econ department, but it's athletic department is under the student life hierarchy as a twin head to the rec sports head. I'm not even kidding.

http://www.tennessean.com/education/archives/03/09/39064514.shtml?Element_ID=39064514

I don't know where this joker gets his idea of how actual athletic departments are run.

sammmo
1/30/2007, 06:35 PM
Wow-
maybe that guy will get past linear models

snp
1/30/2007, 08:02 PM

Is throwing urine bottles and breaking team bus windows reserved for SEC teams only? Yea, all class those LSU fans.

insuranceman_22
1/30/2007, 11:58 PM

I've been to your stadium and to the Dome in the Sugar bowl. Your fans are pretty much a bunch of pricks!

insuranceman_22
1/30/2007, 11:59 PM
Isn't Arizona the team who's bus carrying the coaches wife got attacked by flying objects thrown by LSU fans, or was that some other guests LSU was hosting? Where were all your nice fans during the OU/LSU Sugar Bowl? I ask because 70% of that stadium was filled with a collection of the most annoying, rude, low class and nasty pimples on the face of humanity I have ever seen in my life.

Thank you Mama - that was exceptionally well stated!