PDA

View Full Version : The ice storm (of 2007)...

OUDoc
1/29/2007, 02:08 PM
tear up anyone else's driveway? Mine's falling apart. I've no idea what can be done, short of replacing it. :mad:

Partial Qualifier
1/29/2007, 02:11 PM
Mine got a little boogered up too. Nothing major though, just some quarter-sized flaking here & there.

I bet you could re-surface it fairly inexpensively, unless you're talking about huge damage

OUDoc
1/29/2007, 02:14 PM
Mine got a little boogered up too. Nothing major though, just some quarter-sized flaking here & there.

I bet you could re-surface it fairly inexpensively, unless you're talking about huge damage
Yeah, I really don't know what would be "huge damage", but I've never had a driveway flake up as bad as this one. There's more concrete working its way up, too. Next ice or snow is really going to get it.

Anyone ever re-surfaced the driveway?

Mjcpr
1/29/2007, 02:49 PM
Flake off, dip ****.

Did you use salt on it?

OUDoc
1/29/2007, 02:54 PM
Flake off, dip ****.

Did you use salt on it?
Ummmm, yeah. Once. Realized it didn't help, so I didn't use it again.

Ike
1/29/2007, 02:56 PM
go with asphalt?

thats pretty much what every driveway here is made of.

Boarder
1/29/2007, 02:56 PM
Did you use salt or ice melt? If you used ice melt, that's what did it. I don't know about resurfacing. I'm going to have to check on the same thing.

The ice melt says to don't use it on one year old or less concrete or concrete that wasn't mixed to so and so specs, etc. In other words, whatever my driveway was. It flaked it big time.

Mjcpr
1/29/2007, 02:57 PM
Ummmm, yeah. Once. Realized it didn't help, so I didn't use it again.

I've heard salt is really bad for them but surely one application wouldn't do it.

olevetonahill
1/29/2007, 02:57 PM
PICs
If you had any cracks init the water and stuff got down in em then froze expanded and caused your prob , when you have it fixed make sure you have a good sealer put on it .

OUDoc
1/29/2007, 03:02 PM
Did you use salt or ice melt? If you used ice melt, that's what did it. I don't know about resurfacing. I'm going to have to check on the same thing.
I used snow melt. But the concrete is 13 years old (I guess. The house is 13 years old.)

I'll try to get some pics tonight.

Then I'll try to get some pics of the driveway. :)

Partial Qualifier
1/29/2007, 03:19 PM
I'll try to get some pics tonight.

Then I'll try to get some pics of the driveway. :)

tee hee!

MamaMia
1/29/2007, 03:24 PM
Well, whatever you do, dont file a claim.

sooner_born_1960
1/29/2007, 03:25 PM
Well, whatever you do, dont file a claim.
:)
SPEK.
I must spread it around first. Consider yourself spekked.

frankensooner
1/29/2007, 03:27 PM
You should try some selsen blue, it is supposed to stop the flaking.

Seriously, sorry about the driveway, my folks crumbled to crap a few years ago. They had it broken up and repoured.

Mjcpr
1/29/2007, 03:28 PM
You should try some selsen blue, it is supposed to stop the flaking.

Seriously, sorry about the driveway, my folks crumbled to crap a few years ago. They had it broken up and repoured.

Be careful though, Doc. Breaking up is hard to do.

mdklatt
1/29/2007, 03:47 PM
Has anybody ever run across a detailed analysis of the real cost of home ownership? Does the appreciation (on average) even cover all of the additional expenses of ownership vs. renting? As an apartment dweller, I don't have to worry about resurfacing a driveway, or replacing the A/C unit, or fixing leaks in the roof. Nor do I worry about the time and expense of lawn care, and all the other little hassles of home ownership.

When it comes down to it, is buying a house a lifestyle choice moreso than a sound financial investment? I'll take your response off the air.

frankensooner
1/29/2007, 04:15 PM
Chances are with my house, it won't get burned to the ground by my next-door neighbor chain-smoking emphysema patient using an oxygen tank whilst smokin. That reminds me, I am supposed to remind you to buy renters insurance! ;)

mdklatt
1/29/2007, 04:50 PM
Chances are with my house, it won't get burned to the ground by my next-door neighbor chain-smoking emphysema patient using an oxygen tank whilst smokin.

Unless you live in a McMansion in Plano where the roofs are approximately two feet apart and you have the fancy schmancy wood shingles, aka "kindling".

That reminds me, I am supposed to remind you to buy renters insurance! ;)

Already have it. :cool:

soonersweetie
1/29/2007, 05:08 PM
Has anybody ever run across a detailed analysis of the real cost of home ownership? Does the appreciation (on average) even cover all of the additional expenses of ownership vs. renting? As an apartment dweller, I don't have to worry about resurfacing a driveway, or replacing the A/C unit, or fixing leaks in the roof. Nor do I worry about the time and expense of lawn care, and all the other little hassles of home ownership.

When it comes down to it, is buying a house a lifestyle choice moreso than a sound financial investment? I'll take your response off the air.

I agree with you. I know there is supposed to be this really big pride thing about ownership of your own home, etc. And for some people I guess that's their choice. But for me, the more I consider it, the more I'm just not that convinced that it is a great thing. I often wonder about owning a home and then I think of the repairs and the property taxes, etc. and all those headaches and it just makes me that much more content with my rental home. I have a great landlord and I'll let him continue to pay the taxes and repairs on it.

mdklatt
1/29/2007, 05:27 PM
I have a great landlord and I'll let him continue to pay the taxes and repairs on it.

He really is a great landlord if he doesn't include property taxes as part of your rent!

1stTimeCaller
1/29/2007, 10:31 PM
My grandparents had a resurfacing job done to a patio of theirs. It's a little different situation but the yahoos they originally hired had no idea as to how to properly finish concrete. Then they called me. They then had Charles Ryans Concrete out of Chickasha basically re top and finish the patio.

I would call them iffin I was you.

soonerboomer93
1/29/2007, 11:00 PM
why would he call your gandparents?

you already told him what happened

Okla-homey
1/29/2007, 11:10 PM
Driveways have a little more stress on them than patios. I've always understood that the only way to "fix" spalled and/or flaking concrete that has to support vehicles is to bust it up, remove the rubble, and pour new.

You can save some dough by busting it up and removing the rubble yourself, but I wouldn't recommend it. That said, some of those rental outfits will rent a jackhammer and a backhoe. Of course, you need a dump truck and a place to drop the stuff too.

soonerboomer93
1/29/2007, 11:24 PM
your neighbors got a yard don't they?

either that, or there is someone who's has a dog that likes to **** in your yard and they don't clean it up

olevetonahill
1/29/2007, 11:32 PM
why would he call your gandparents?

you already told him what happened
Im going to the football board and NEG some nOObs just so I spek you again :D :D :D :D :D

olevetonahill
1/29/2007, 11:34 PM
Oh and Doc lets see some Pics befor we go rippin that baby out ? OK ?
It can be patched , and preserved .
So as much as I trust the ossifer types here I say Lets look befor we rip . :D

1stTimeCaller
1/30/2007, 03:39 AM
whatever you decide to do watch them when they are finishing the concrete. Do not let them squirt water on the surface when finishing it. That's a large cause of the spalling and/or flaking.

soonerboomer93
1/30/2007, 05:57 AM
can they write their names while peeing on it?

OUDoc
1/30/2007, 12:51 PM
Oh and Doc lets see some Pics befor we go rippin that baby out ? OK ?
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s290/oudoc/Picture027.jpg

I hope the pic isn't too big, but it was hard to get the detail without the higher resolution.
None of that was there before the ice.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/30/2007, 12:53 PM
That's the worst Google Map I ever saw.

OUDoc
1/30/2007, 12:56 PM
Here's another, just a link to avoid killing those of you with dial-up (cough...olevet :D).

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s290/oudoc/Picture028.jpg

mdklatt
1/30/2007, 12:57 PM

I think that's from Google Moon. Cool!

OUDoc
1/30/2007, 12:57 PM
It looks exactly like Florida. Or maybe Italy.

olevetonahill
1/30/2007, 01:12 PM
Here's another, just a link to avoid killing those of you with dial-up (cough...olevet :D).

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s290/oudoc/Picture028.jpg
The pic didnt take THAT long to load
Befoe I tore that out , or we get hit with any more Bad weather . Id get me to a home depot or some place and get some patch , float it in then Seal that entire thing maybe even use some garage floor paint .
what say you , Others that have Construction experience ?
Make sure its dry and clean

Boarder
1/30/2007, 02:11 PM
Put down some outdoor carpet.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/30/2007, 02:12 PM
Put down some outdoor carpet.

The blue kind.

That would RULE.

olevetonahill
1/30/2007, 02:25 PM
The blue kind.

That would RULE.
Then we call him Boise st doc , or Smurf doc . any other suggestions ?

OUDoc
1/30/2007, 02:26 PM
The pic didnt take THAT long to load
Befoe I tore that out , or we get hit with any more Bad weather . Id get me to a home depot or some place and get some patch , float it in then Seal that entire thing maybe even use some garage floor paint .
what say you , Others that have Construction experience ?
Make sure its dry and clean
I think it's still wet underneath and we're getting more snow tomorrow. :(

olevetonahill
1/30/2007, 02:31 PM
Id try to cover the area with a tarp or somepun to keep out any more moisture.

Boarder
1/30/2007, 09:27 PM
Yeah, I think you're going to be fine. I looked at NOAA.com, not the weather psycho channels.

Wednesday: A chance of snow and sleet before noon, then rain and sleet likely. Increasing clouds, with a high near 33. South southeast wind between 8 and 16 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Wednesday Night: Rain likely, mixing with snow after midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 28. East wind between 3 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Thursday: A chance of snow, mixing with rain after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 34. East northeast wind between 5 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 23. Calm wind becoming north between 5 and 8 mph.

Friday: A 20 percent chance of snow showers. Partly cloudy, with a high near 29.

What have the weather ******s been saying? I refuse to watch. Doom? Death? Destruction?

Norm In Norman
1/30/2007, 11:13 PM
My sidewalk looks like that. I used ice melt on it once and it really screwed it up. Of course, I don't care that much...

OUDoc
6/21/2007, 08:56 PM
It only took 4 1/2 months, but it's fixed. Every time in the last 3 months they were going to come over, it started raining. Every damn time.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s290/oudoc/Picture052.jpg

Hamhock
6/21/2007, 08:59 PM
you should put your butt print in the wet cement.

OUHOMER
6/21/2007, 09:09 PM
I wish i had a pic of Soonerboarder's parking lot. he must have used a dump truck of Ice melt :D