PDA

View Full Version : Broyles is a Sooner!

Van Wilder
1/29/2007, 01:14 PM
Welcome aboard Ryan!

snp
1/29/2007, 01:19 PM
Sam Proctor committed to OU as well. Good haul this morning.

Van Wilder
1/29/2007, 01:25 PM
Hell yeah! Proctor is gonna be a stud too! Good day to be a Sooner!

MamaMia
1/29/2007, 01:35 PM
Can you tell me a little about them? :)

All_Day_28
1/29/2007, 01:38 PM
yes, info please...

Flagstaffsooner
1/29/2007, 01:39 PM
Can you tell me a little about them? :)
Broyels (http://www.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=40763&Sport=1)
Proctor (http://texas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=36469)

OSUAggie
1/29/2007, 01:40 PM

That will just confuse people since the database hasn't been updated as far as his new committment is concerned.

Flagstaffsooner
1/29/2007, 01:43 PM
That will just confuse people since the database hasn't been updated as far as his new committment is concerned.Only booger eating aggies will be confused.:rolleyes:

snp
1/29/2007, 01:44 PM
Ryan Broyles projects to be a CB but does have some great abilities with the ball in his hand. From Norman, he committed to OSU when OU dragged their feet with this kid. Just went back up to Stillwater for his Offical Visit this past weekend and came back home. He was pretty heavily recruited nationally. This would be your archetype for a player wanting to play for OU instead of what type of players have washed out.

Sam Proctor looks to become a safety and he's from Houston. Just got back from his OV to LSU and he chose OU over LSU and OSU. He was a dynamic QB in HS. Although with this signing, it might mean we're out of it for Christian Scott.

landrun
1/29/2007, 01:53 PM
Did he change his mind again?

As of right now, he's listed as a Poke again. The committment day is showing today, like he committed to them again just now?

snp
1/29/2007, 01:54 PM
Did he change his mind again?

As of right now, he's listed as a Poke again. The committment day is showing today, like he committed to them again just now?

Nope, he's OU bound.

OklahomaTuba
1/29/2007, 01:59 PM
Whats funny is, I am related to the guy recruiting him for TN.

hehehehe.

MamaMia
1/29/2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the information. They look pretty good to me. I think they'll suit our needs. :)

Boomer.....
1/29/2007, 02:03 PM
Great news!

King Crimson
1/29/2007, 02:05 PM
nice to see Norman High contribute to the Sooner squad with Madu last year and Broyles this.

OSUAggie
1/29/2007, 02:07 PM
And Chika next.

85sooners
1/29/2007, 02:38 PM
And Chika next. :rolleyes:

Rhino
1/29/2007, 03:29 PM
:rolleyes: I know what you were thinking, but Mossis' brother is Chika Madu.

ouradu
1/29/2007, 03:41 PM
had both chika and ryan as students. Ryan was adament he was NOT coming to OU. Eventually, we just have a power these guys can't resist.:D

MikeInNorman
1/29/2007, 03:51 PM
Chika has a loooooong way to go before we look at him.

Texas Golfer
1/29/2007, 04:31 PM
Did Will Cole commit to OU?

OSUAggie
1/29/2007, 04:38 PM
Chika has a loooooong way to go before we look at him.

heh... Wasn't Broyles too small for you to look at him, too?

MikeInNorman
1/29/2007, 04:49 PM
heh... Wasn't Broyles too small for you to look at him, too?

First, I thought it was a big mistake to slowplay Broyles, and am delighted that it didn't cost us.

Second, having watched Junior Madu and Ryan Broyles play throughout their high school careers, as well as Chika, I can tell you Chika's not in the same ball park with the others. He has athletic ability, but I think he needs to work very hard to reach even Big 12 level recruit. I'm not even sure Aggy would offer him unless he gets better. The good news for Chika is that he has another year to impress. Whether he will is the question.

oumartin
1/29/2007, 05:00 PM
so was this just like OU's worst ranked recruiting class since bob has been here?

poke4christ
1/29/2007, 05:45 PM
so was this just like OU's worst ranked recruiting class since bob has been here?

Ratings mean squat. OU has like 7 or 8 four stars. They are just getting dinged because they don't have a large number of recruits.

colleyvillesooner
1/29/2007, 05:48 PM
Poke is right.

On Rivals, if you go by total, we are 18th. If you sort by Avg stars, we are 8th.

On scout, if you go by total, we are 40th. If you sort by Avg stars, we are 13th.

Texas Golfer
1/29/2007, 05:51 PM

I do believe all of that negative recruiting efforts by opposing coaches really hurt us in pure numbers.

poke4christ
1/29/2007, 07:42 PM
I do believe all of that negative recruiting efforts by opposing coaches really hurt us in pure numbers.

There is always negative recruiting and I'm sure everybody (including Stoops and Gundy) does it. The fact is that there are a few items might hurt OU this year. IMHO, the thing that's actually hurting them is the NCAA taking so dadgum long to announce. If it comes out after signing day that there will be no furthure penalties, OU fans have a right to be ****ed. If they come down with probation on ya, then you might want to thank them for waiting. It all depends.

Also, it sounds now like the "switch commit" was announced a little too early. Here's a quote from his father (Edward Moore) when asked about it.

"That's not the case," said Mr. Moore. "Ryan is confused right now and is not sure what he is going to do. He is needing some time to think things out."

All things considered, I think that we should just consider Broyles uncommited and still up for grabs. His commitment to OSU was probably premature and didn't have enough commitment to back it up. This one might come down to the 7th.

Zach

AllAboutThe'O'
1/29/2007, 08:20 PM
Ratings mean squat. OU has like 7 or 8 four stars. They are just getting dinged because they don't have a large number of recruits.
I don't buy into the recruiting hype, either. Yeah, A.D. was worth the hype but Brett Rawls and Rhett Bomar weren't worthy of their blue-chip quarterback status. Ask me three or four years from now about the athletes we're getting and how they will pan out.

oumartin
1/29/2007, 08:27 PM
well I just wanna see some hungry oklahoma and under recruited kids like Mark Clayton again. They highly ranked recruting classes really haven't panned out they way I had hoped.

Widescreen
1/29/2007, 08:52 PM
but Brett Rawls and Rhett Bomar weren't worthy of their blue-chip quarterback status.
Agree about Rawls but disagree about Bomar. I think he was the most physically talented QB to don the crimson and cream since - well, I'm not sure when. He's a lot faster and a better ball carrier than Aikman. Blue-chips are awarded based on talent, not on the # of marbles rolling around upstairs.

Sooner-N-KS
1/29/2007, 09:01 PM
I don't buy into the recruiting hype, either. Yeah, A.D. was worth the hype but Brett Rawls and Rhett Bomar weren't worthy of their blue-chip quarterback status. Ask me three or four years from now about the athletes we're getting and how they will pan out.

Don't forget Grady.

Soonerus
1/29/2007, 09:14 PM
First, I thought it was a big mistake to slowplay Broyles, and am delighted that it didn't cost us.

Second, having watched Junior Madu and Ryan Broyles play throughout their high school careers, as well as Chika, I can tell you Chika's not in the same ball park with the others. He has athletic ability, but I think he needs to work very hard to reach even Big 12 level recruit. I'm not even sure Aggy would offer him unless he gets better. The good news for Chika is that he has another year to impress. Whether he will is the question.

Sounds like a Norman High booster still ****ed by Chika recently transferring to Norman North...

franklinjake
1/29/2007, 10:34 PM
Proctor (http://texas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=36469)

I am impressed with both, just worried about their grades, hopefully they will study hard and stay eligible...

Sooner-N-KS
1/29/2007, 10:42 PM
It looks like Scout.com has moved Broyles out of the commit to OU column. He was there earlier in the day.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=9&c=8&toinid=667&yr=2007

franklinjake
1/29/2007, 10:44 PM

I think it probably is, I don't think getting beat by Boise State helped us one bit.... Sure they were a decent WAC undefeated team, but if I was a big time college player it would be in the back of my mind... We shouldn't have any problems with teams like Boise State, especially if we want to have a claim at the title with sUc, Florida, etc. Recruits are thinking about this no doubt.

Alot of the guys we normally get are looking for a championship and could play at any big time college football program in the nation and look at results; which we have had a hard time closing out seasons (mainly BCS Bowl games), but we are pretty stocked now, even though it hasn't been the best recruiting year so far, we will still be damn good this year, imho!

I think we will still be in the Championship mix at the end of this next season, if we can get a QB that plays decent.....

poke4christ
1/29/2007, 10:45 PM
Broyels has been removed from all of the recruiting commitment lists and the stories about him have also been removed. Looks like they are retracting. However, he has not been added back on to OSU's. It think that's appropriate right now.

note: dangit, N-KS beat me to it.

franklinjake
1/29/2007, 10:47 PM
well I just wanna see some hungry oklahoma and under recruited kids like Mark Clayton again. They highly ranked recruting classes really haven't panned out they way I had hoped.
I agree 100%! Maybe you are onto something, we were expected to loose the last NC we won .... :cool:

sooner94
1/29/2007, 10:52 PM
Did Will Cole commit to OU?

TG- I didn't know we were looking at this kid, but I see we are on his list of schools. He's on the small side at 165 pounds so he's not getting interest from a lot of the big name schools.

He's got really quick feet and good speed. Maybe a Mark Clayton type.

melbitoast
1/29/2007, 11:19 PM
TG- I didn't know we were looking at this kid, but I see we are on his list of schools. He's on the small side at 165 pounds so he's not getting interest from a lot of the big name schools.

He's got really quick feet and good speed. Maybe a Mark Clayton type.

not so much on the Clayton idea. similiar at 165 lbs, but the kid is nowhere near 5'10". i watched him at the state title game, and he's really quick but wouldn't do much until he puts on at least 20lbs. Clayton was at least taller, and had the frame to put on the 30 lbs that he did. not sure that Cole has that potential.

sooner94
1/29/2007, 11:31 PM
Rivals has William Cole listed as 5'10", and Scout has him at 5'11''.

Not sure why the recruiting websites would lie about his physical stats.

snp
1/29/2007, 11:40 PM
Also, it sounds now like the "switch commit" was announced a little too early. Here's a quote from his father (Edward Moore) when asked about it.

"That's not the case," said Mr. Moore. "Ryan is confused right now and is not sure what he is going to do. He is needing some time to think things out."

All things considered, I think that we should just consider Broyles uncommited and still up for grabs. His commitment to OSU was probably premature and didn't have enough commitment to back it up. This one might come down to the 7th.

Zach

Who knows with recruiting games. But I wouldn't say things are even for RB right now. Norman kid, who jumped to OU when he got a shot. His commitment to OSU wasn't really that premature, he's had an offer for a year.

He told the coaches he switched, his dad is saying otherwise. I wouldn't hold my breath for him if I were a Poke.

poke4christ
1/29/2007, 11:47 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath for him if I were a Poke.

I agree, and I'm not.

arcman46
1/30/2007, 08:08 AM
Agree about Rawls but disagree about Bomar. I think he was the most physically talented QB to don the crimson and cream since - well, I'm not sure when. He's a lot faster and a better ball carrier than Aikman. Blue-chips are awarded based on talent, not on the # of marbles rolling around upstairs.

You are right on the mental aspect, and Bomar was physically gifted, however, I watched every game that he started, and even though there were times that he seemed to shine, there was never a moment during that year that I felt like he had mastered the college game. Look for instance at Colt McCoy. Struggled a little at first, but had an incredible season. Someone with the talent that Bomar supposedly had, should have mastered the game much more quickly than he did. Was it mental, partially, but I think it was a lot deeper than that.

poke4christ
1/30/2007, 09:13 AM
You are right on the mental aspect, and Bomar was physically gifted, however, I watched every game that he started, and even though there were times that he seemed to shine, there was never a moment during that year that I felt like he had mastered the college game. Look for instance at Colt McCoy. Struggled a little at first, but had an incredible season. Someone with the talent that Bomar supposedly had, should have mastered the game much more quickly than he did. Was it mental, partially, but I think it was a lot deeper than that.

Very few master the game all that quickly. Also, I think McCoy might have had a better supporting cast. That makes your mistakes look a little bit better.

Sooner-N-KS
1/30/2007, 09:46 AM
I think McCoy had a much better OL than Bomar.

Widescreen
1/30/2007, 10:01 AM
Yes, vastly superior OL will really help a young QB. If you recall Bomar was running for his life much of the time or just getting blindsided. He may have been stupid but he was talented and pretty tough.

Van Wilder
1/30/2007, 10:13 AM
I think if either freshman start at OU next year they will have better numbers than that of bomar because this offensive line will be solid next year. If we can get a QB to be similar to that of mccoy we could do some major damage IMO.

Desert Sapper
1/30/2007, 01:17 PM
I think it probably is, I don't think getting beat by Boise State helped us one bit....

I agree, it isn't helping us, but I don't think it is hurting us. The portion of recruits that are swayed by W/L are already committed. Recruiting results are affected by two years prior, not the current year. This is why saxet is pulling in a banner class and we are struggling. Next year, we might be hurt by the Boise loss, but not this year. This year it is the 4 losses (3 really) from 2005 that burned us with those recruits. Similarly, saxet isn't hurt by not finishing their regular season (dropping games and losing out on the Big XII South title) or playing Iowa in the Alamo bowl. They are benefitting from the Rose Bowl win over suc in 2005.

What's hurting us the most, imho, are the 'potential NCAA sanctions', that every kid we recruit gets an earful about from Mack Brown, Pete Carroll, Les Miles, and every other coach we compete with for prospects.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/30/2007, 01:33 PM
I agree, it isn't helping us, but I don't think it is hurting us. The portion of recruits that are swayed by W/L are already committed. Recruiting results are affected by two years prior, not the current year. This is why saxet is pulling in a banner class and we are struggling. Next year, we might be hurt by the Boise loss, but not this year. This year it is the 4 losses (3 really) from 2005 that burned us with those recruits. Similarly, saxet isn't hurt by not finishing their regular season (dropping games and losing out on the Big XII South title) or playing Iowa in the Alamo bowl. They are benefitting from the Rose Bowl win over suc in 2005.

What's hurting us the most, imho, are the 'potential NCAA sanctions', that every kid we recruit gets an earful about from Mack Brown, Pete Carroll, Les Miles, and every other coach we compete with for prospects.

If Pete Carroll is bringing up potential OU sanctions to recuits then he has stones the size of the Matterhorn.

I think wins and losses make a difference but I think it comes down to a lot more than a particular game, especially against Boise St. I bet if you took 50 prospective DI prospects and said they had to choose either OU or Boise St to commit to without any other options, the overwhelming majority would choose OU.

Some players will choose a school whether they are 13-0 or 2-11. Some want to go where they are more likely to play as a freshman or a soph and might choose Baylor over Texas Tech. Some might choose a coach. Certainly there are some recruiters that make a difference. Of course some are looking for some benefits that aren't exactly sanctioned by the NCAA.

If you are talking about the 4-5 star national recruits, sure the game with Texas and what we do in a bowl game but I think a little too much is read into what effect one particular game will have on a class. Now NCAA sanctions is a whole different story. Recruits will go to a school that is struggling and think they can make a difference but not if a program is going to have a hand tied behind it's back.

I know I'm not exactly splitting the atom here or curing the common cold but you get my drift.

Collier11
1/30/2007, 02:15 PM
IT IS OFFICIAL NOW!

SoonerJLB
1/30/2007, 02:20 PM
Is he related to Frank?

Whoops...I read his bio.

Desert Sapper
1/30/2007, 02:48 PM
If Pete Carroll is bringing up potential OU sanctions to recuits then he has stones the size of the Matterhorn.

I'm pretty sure he is AND I'm pretty sure he does. If you were on the verge of being hit with sanctions, wouldn't you try to misdirect the questions toward somebody else's potential sanctions (whether the rumors have merit or not)?

Recruit A: I don't know, coach...this whole thing with the player that could be inelligible and all...isn't the NCAA going to do something?

Coach C: No, no way. Not to us. We didn't do anything wrong. Not like that program in Oklahoma. That's a shady deal if you ask me. I'm sure they're gonna get slammed, because I'm sure they are paying their players through side jobs. You just watch. You don't want to be on the wrong end of that.

Meanwhile, Recruit A doesn't hear anything negative about other programs from Stoops. Stoops and staff just say they don't 'think' anything will happen. Integrity is a great thing, but sometimes it can bite you if the other players are dishonest.

Sometimes it's better to lose honorably than to win with no honor. To hell with anybody that negatively recruits.

GoState
1/30/2007, 02:59 PM
IT IS OFFICIAL NOW!

Where did you see the latest in this saga? Until the ink has dried on signing day, you can never be sure. Heck, we just got a verbal from a kid (Marshall Moses) who, until recently, was "100%" going to play basketball for Kentucky. I hope he honors it, but this whole recruiting thing is such a circus...I'm not holding my breath.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/30/2007, 03:55 PM
[QUOTE=GoState] Heck, we just got a verbal from a kid (Marshall Moses) who, until recently, was "100%" going to play basketball for Kentucky. QUOTE]

He still is....

http://http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1383&tid=88401222&mid=88401222&sid=888&style=2

OSUAggie
1/30/2007, 04:09 PM
He still is....

http://http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1383&tid=88401222&mid=88401222&sid=888&style=2

Nice link...

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/30/2007, 04:26 PM
Nice link...

You just have to click on it a little harder....

OSUAggie
1/30/2007, 04:32 PM
What does that link have to do with Moses' committment?? Ignorant Kentucky fans trying to figure out the OSU roster situation?

Collier11
1/30/2007, 04:37 PM
I got the link from the front page of scout.com's OU PAGE,

Collier11
1/30/2007, 04:38 PM
there is a interview and everything with ryan broyles

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/30/2007, 04:50 PM
What does that link have to do with Moses' committment?? Ignorant Kentucky fans trying to figure out the OSU roster situation?

It's not so much what they say. It's what they don't say.

Deductive reasoning.

GoState
1/30/2007, 04:53 PM
I got the link from the front page of scout.com's OU PAGE,

Thanks for the info.

franklinjake
1/30/2007, 06:50 PM
You have a very valid point - bastard wHorns, sUc, gatorbate, etc - ESPN and NCAA's version of giving the other teams a handicap

sooneron
1/30/2007, 06:59 PM
There is always negative recruiting and I'm sure everybody (including Stoops and Gundy) does it.
Uh, no. Stoops has been adamant on the subject that he WILL NOT negative recruit.
With Suttons up there, I could see how you would find it the norm everywhere.

birddog
1/30/2007, 11:08 PM
uh, so is he still a sooner, or what?

i'm gonna need someone to sneak into his bedroom tonight and do a little eavesdropping.

btw, is he pretty good or is this a case of just getting a player at the last minute so people tend to hype him too much?

landrun
1/31/2007, 11:46 AM
I guess Gundy's guilt trip is working. :pop:

Rhino
1/31/2007, 11:59 AM
I imagine Bob will have his in-home in the next couple days and seal the deal.

badger
1/31/2007, 07:11 PM
http://www.normantranscript.com/sports/local_story_031011447.html

goingoneight
2/1/2007, 01:17 AM
So what's the dealio? I hear today he is still torn and is favoring the sheep? Someone get him a beautiful OU sorority chick THIS INSTANT!!!

birddog
2/1/2007, 09:59 AM
NORMAN — Mike Gundy was expected to visit Norman High standout Ryan Broyles late Tuesday in an attempt to persuade the four-star DB to recommit to Oklahoma State.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Story continues below advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But it may be too late.

Broyles said Tuesday afternoon he had officially switched his commitment from the Cowboys to OU.

"I am committed to the University of Oklahoma,” Broyles told OU Insider. "I just felt like that I have (former high school teammate Mossis Madu) here and I am right here in Norman with my parents. I guess, in the beginning I wanted to go to OU because I have always liked OU. But in the end there are even more important reasons why I am going to OU.”

Broyles decommitted from the Cowboys on Monday morning. Rumors surfaced early that he had switched his commitment to OU, but the reports were later debunked by Broyles' family.

Now, they're voicing complete support for their son's decision.

"Whatever his choice is, he has my blessings,” said Broyles' stepfather, Edward Moore. "It's his life, his future. If that's what he chooses then I'm behind him all the way. His mother feels the same as me.”

Norman coach Butch Peters confirmed Gundy was scheduled to fly back early from a recruiting trip in Texas to visit Broyles in Norman. He said that Gundy and Broyles were tentatively scheduled to meet between 2 p.m. and 2:30 p.m.

Other reports indicated Gundy's visit was planned for Tuesday evening.

Around 3 p.m., however, OU Insider posted an exclusive interview with Broyles in which he claimed to be firmly committed to the Sooners. Broyles did not return numerous phone calls and text messages from The Oklahoman.

"When I committed to Oklahoma State, Oklahoma called me and talked to me about that,” Broyles told OU Insider. "Then they offered me, but right then and there the offer from OU didn't have that much of a factor. Well, I guess it did because I do live in Norman. But I took my time and thought things through and decided this was best for me. I guess everything has just worked out the best for me.”

Broyles said he expects to play slot receiver at OU.

Peters speculated a number of factors might have led to Broyles reconsidering his commitment to OSU, including the Cowboys recently picking up additional defensive back, wideout and tailback recruits.

"He's a high-profile athlete, and he's visited every place you could imagine,” Peters said. "I think all of this has a bearing on Ryan rethinking it. He looks at all this stuff. He doesn't bounce around. He knows who the athletes are and where they're going.”

Peters denied rumors that Broyles had changed his mind because his family was being harassed by Sooner fans in Norman.

Broyles grew up a die-hard OU fan and played his high school ball just down the street from campus.

When recruiting began, Broyles made it no secret that he wanted to play for Bob Stoops. But he didn't receive a scholarship offer until after he'd already committed to the Cowboys.

Mike Gundy offered Broyles last February, and he committed on Jan. 14. Later that day, OU running backs coach Cale Gundy offered Broyles a scholarship to Oklahoma.

"I think there were a series of events where OU lost out on a major commitment at that wide receiver position and then Adrian Peterson came out,” Peters said. "Their outlook on Ryan changed dramatically in a 12-hour span.”

Now, it seems Broyles' outlook on the Sooners has changed just as quickly.

•Stradford recommits to OU: Broyles wasn't the only Sooner recruit to have a late-breaking change of heart Monday.

Three-star New Orleans wideout Tyler Stradford recommitted to Oklahoma early Tuesday, after spending a week on Southern Miss' oral commitment list.

Stradford originally committed to OU on Dec. 17, but decommitted in mid-January after receiving interest from Southern Miss and Alabama. On Jan. 22, he committed to the Golden Eagles.

But eight days later, he was back in the Sooners' fold.

Stradford is listed at 6-foot-2 and 175 pounds. He's ranked the No. 23 player in Louisiana by Rivals.com.

47straight
2/1/2007, 05:16 PM
It's gonna be a fun family reunion at grandma Gundy's this year.

cb4ou
2/1/2007, 05:20 PM
Looks like he is back to Okie State!!!

snp
2/1/2007, 05:26 PM
Yea, what a weird thing this turned out to be. Oh well, catch ya later RB.

Fraggle145
2/1/2007, 05:53 PM
So... uhhh. who is he with? rivals says OSWho, Scout says OU. :confused:

colleyvillesooner
2/1/2007, 06:13 PM
Uh, scout seems to be scrambling...

OklahomaTuba
2/1/2007, 06:18 PM
I guess the allure of running out of a livestock gate, playing in front of empty seats, and playing crap div-1aa powerhouses so you can sniff a minor bowl was just to much to overcome for the kiddo.

Oh well, we will win without him. No biggie.

BASSooner
2/1/2007, 06:26 PM
so is he a sooner or not?

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/1/2007, 07:10 PM
Nope, he's a puke

TopDawg
2/1/2007, 07:38 PM
Nope, he's a puke

For now.

Maybe it's best to just wait until this kid signs to declare who he'll be playing for.

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/1/2007, 08:02 PM
It all seems a little shady to me. Do we really want a kid who doesn't even want to play at OU ?

bixby28
2/1/2007, 09:00 PM
The Oklahoman has just stated tonight that Broyles has recommitted to OSU. It's fresh off the press from what i have noticed. Here is the link below...

http://newsok.com/article/3007344

boomersooner28
2/1/2007, 09:24 PM
true story dammit!

http://oklahomastate.scout.com/2/615086.html?refid=400

OKC-SLC
2/1/2007, 09:35 PM
Do we really want a kid who doesn't even want to play at OU ?
Nope. If it's seriously that hard of a decision between Oklahoma and Oklahoma State for a player, then he doesn't want to excel and IMHO is afraid of big-time football.

I hope he keeps his 'commitment' to osu; I don't want him or anyone else like him. We really missed out when that XLK kid went to osu (insert rolls eyes thing here)

Ash
2/1/2007, 09:39 PM
Nope. If it's seriously that hard of a decision between Oklahoma and Oklahoma State for a player, then he doesn't want to excel and IMHO is afraid of big-time football.

I hope he keeps his 'commitment' to osu; I don't want him or anyone else like him. We really missed out when that XLK kid went to osu (insert rolls eyes thing here)

totally agree. either you want to be at OU or not. yeah, he's a kid, it might be tough to be in the situation but if he really always wanted to be a Sooner, as soon as the scholly offer came he'd be in for good.

yermom
2/1/2007, 09:44 PM
is he going to OSU as a RB or what?

85sooners
2/1/2007, 09:46 PM
HAHAHAHA

Boffingham
2/1/2007, 09:58 PM
If he goes to OSU, he could be a star if he can tie his own shoes. If he goes to OU, he has to prove himself

okienole3
2/1/2007, 10:20 PM
Don't bash the kid, very much poke like.

Fraggle145
2/1/2007, 10:21 PM
Is it possible that he felt like we didnt feel like he was good enough until all of our other options were gone (which is the case is it not). Maybe he wants to prove that we should have offered him right away. Dumb logic since he would win more here and probably get more attention if he is good enough, but he has a chance to play sooner there. Either way, supposedly he grew up his whole life being a sooner fan and probably feels like we left him out in the cold and he made his commitment to OSU. It is a hard thing to go back on a commitment if you have integrity.

Just saying, c'mon the kid is 18 years old and you big bad boys on the internets say we dont want/need him when two days ago you were up his a$$. We are oklahoma, we will be fine, and we dont need to bash on kids for not coming here.

illinisooner
2/1/2007, 10:32 PM
The past three days have been pretty bizarre, considering he has been "100 % committed" to both schools at one time or another. Something tells me he might change his mind again before signing day, but he could be done Sabaning now. When he committed to OU, he mentioned that he expected to play slot receiver; so is it possible Hair Gundy told him he could play wherever he wanted (DB or WR) and probably right away? That could be a factor. I can't rip a kid for going somewhere if he has alot better shot at playing time (which he clearly will at OSU), but it also says something about whether or not he wants to earn his PT. Not saying that he won't have to at OSU, but he's got alot more talent in front of him in Norman.

Also I think we might be overplaying the "he's been a Sooner fan his whole life" thing, because I'm sure tons of kids grow up hardcore fans of one school but don't go there. Wasn't Rufus from Baton Rouge? I'm sure you can find tons of A&M players who grew up big UT fans or vice versa. It's a factor, but it's not the deciding factor.

birddog
2/1/2007, 10:54 PM
i went through the exact same thing this kid went through. one coach recruited the hell out of me and another assumed he could make one phone call and i'd fall on my knees and thank God.

well, the day before signing day the coach called and told me a camera crew would be at my school and i had to inform him that i felt more appreciated by another coach. it was really hard to do but it worked out for me in the end. they had a much better program but we beat them 4 years straight.

fortunately, rb won't have that kind of success at osu. but i do respect the kids decision.

Flying Scotsman
2/1/2007, 11:09 PM
One player does not a program make...
He's 18. He'll figure it out. Let it be...

stoopified
2/1/2007, 11:19 PM
Like always we will win with him or without him.

Desert Sapper
2/2/2007, 09:40 AM
Stuff like this is really irritating. Nothing is certain until signing day. How many people 'knew' we were going to get Reggie Smith until signing day? I'm sure Ryan will be a great asset to whichever program picks him up. He may play sooner at osu. osu showed him the most respect.

We didn't even offer the kid until he said he was signing with them. That's the coaches dropping the ball on a kid in their own backyard, imo. He should have been offered before his senior year, especially considering how close he is to the Norman campus. If he doesn't go to OU, the onus is on us, not him. He is 'going with his heart,' as the article says, which really equates to loyalty. That is honorable.

It may not be the smartest move in the long run. osu will not overtake OU (in terms of national championship contention) any time in the near future, with or without Boone's big money. Ryan has a chance to start in a year or two at OU in the secondary. Take away a RS year, and he's a RS sophomore starting on a top-5 or top-10 caliber team. Where will osu be in the same time frame?

Regardless, I respect Ryan's decision, but would not be surprised if he ends up a Sooner on Feb 7.

Sooner-N-KS
2/2/2007, 09:55 AM
Take away a RS year, and he's a RS sophomore starting on a top-5 or top-10 caliber team. Where will osu be in the same time frame?

Maybe top 5 in the Big XII south?

Edmond Sooner
2/2/2007, 08:34 PM
This just in: Broyles forgoes college eligibility; will be new running backs coach at Alabama.

:rolleyes:

badger
2/2/2007, 08:52 PM
send him to sam houston state--- the sooner dumping ground for the primadonna that needs humbling.

works every time!

we are, after all, an institute for higher learning.

KingDavid
2/2/2007, 08:56 PM
is he going to OSU as a RB or what?

starting QB. day one.

Seamus
2/2/2007, 09:34 PM

Just saying, c'mon the kid is 18 years old and you big bad boys on the internets say we dont want/need him when two days ago you were up his a$$. We are oklahoma, we will be fine, and we dont need to bash on kids for not coming here.

But Frags, it's both therapeutic and cathartic ;)

SoonerJLB
2/2/2007, 10:02 PM
nm

MamaMia
2/2/2007, 10:18 PM
I think its mean to insult him. Maybe its not even his fault that hes so wishy washy. Maybe its just in his genes. Some people of high school age haven't yet learned the meaning of commitment and the importance of keeping ones word. We really should give him a break.

That being said, I believe osu may be the perfect place for him.

OKC-SLC
2/3/2007, 07:41 AM
That being said, I believe osu may be the perfect place for him.
I thought you said it was mean to insult him?

;)

badger
2/3/2007, 11:45 AM
I thought you said it was mean to insult him?

;)
I agree. I mean, they insult their fans by raising ticket prices after a losing season, then they raise them again for a year with a loser schedule.

They insult their town by taking property into eminent domain (therefore, assuring that Stillwater will not be collecting any property taxes on prime close-to-campus property ever again).

They insult their students by encouraging them to sleep in tents outside their basketball arena. Shouldn't they be attending class? Then, if you do that, you only get let in a lousy 15 minutes early. Whoop te do.

Finally, OSU insults their players by having oddball traditions. Let's all run out a big cattle gate! Let's blind your eyes with bright orange. Oh, and you know how we said that we had the most national championships in order to convince you to come here? Well, we forgot to mention that they're all in wrestling. Now, how bout a visit to the wrestling hall of fame?

:stunned::eddie::stunned:

Desert Sapper
2/7/2007, 01:29 PM
So what do I win?

Collier11
2/7/2007, 01:35 PM
a game of tummy sticks with harry beanbag???

Desert Sapper
2/7/2007, 01:46 PM
Awww...I wanted a mustache ride. ;)

Big Red Ron
2/7/2007, 01:51 PM
Awww...I wanted a mustache ride. ;)Is that similar to a "mouth hug?":pop:

Partial Qualifier
2/7/2007, 01:55 PM
OUT.

oh and congrats, Ryan :)