PDA

View Full Version : 2000/01 National title Game on DVD

8timechamps
1/29/2007, 12:26 PM
As tradition, I watch a couple of OU games to close out the season. This year, I went back to the archives and watched the 85/86 OB and the 00/01 OB. I had forgotten a few things from the 00/01 OB:

1. Even though we were ranked #1 going into that game, we got NO RESPECT. But, the best part was that Stoops wouldn't allow the team to take the "underdog" role. He made our team believe that we were the better team. And it showed. We were pretty damn good!

2. TRRW played LB the whole game. I had totally forgotten that. It just showed what special player he was. Man, guys like that only come along once in a long while.

3. J.T. Thatcher was a stud. What a great story. He started at RB against Nebraska during the Blake era, and never started another game until Stoops took over.

Widescreen
1/29/2007, 01:33 PM
Ontei Jones had an unbelievable game that night. I was a little surprised he wasn't the player of the game instead of Marshall (who also had a great game). The guy was on just about every kick/punt coverage tackle not to mention incredible nickel play. I just about came unglued when he knocked the stuffing out of that OL during Marshall's interception return.

King Crimson
1/29/2007, 01:53 PM
Thatcher scored 3-4 TD's that year.

85sooners
1/29/2007, 02:40 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOMEEEEEEEEEEEERR!!!!!!!!

GrapevineSooner
1/29/2007, 05:28 PM
Ontei played with a giantic chip on his shoulder that night.

And not to powerdown here, but what if that Florida State receiver doesn't allow the ball to fall through his arms in the end zone early in the 4th?

Would have given the Noles a lead in a defensive struggle.

Of course, if we don't drop that TD on 4th down against LSU in the Sugar Bowl...

Hella Sideburns
1/30/2007, 03:32 AM
i would kill a family member to watch this game again.

MiccoMacey
1/30/2007, 08:40 AM
Ontei Jones had an unbelievable game that night. I was a little surprised he wasn't the player of the game instead of Marshall (who also had a great game). The guy was on just about every kick/punt coverage tackle not to mention incredible nickel play. I just about came unglued when he knocked the stuffing out of that OL during Marshall's interception return.

Widescreen,

Are you actually in my head, reading my very thoughts, or are you just really good at guessing what I was thinking?

Oh, and the hit on that fat OL was one of my favorite memories of that year.

He ka-chunked him. Hard.

stonecoldsoonerfan
1/30/2007, 08:49 AM
He ka-chunked him. Hard.

is that an old wrestling move you used? ;)

MiccoMacey
1/30/2007, 09:57 AM
Sorry...too much Lightning McQueen.

But yes, "ka-chunked" is a wrestling move, formerly known as the "ka-pow" or "ka-ching", made famous by several OU wrestlers in the mid to late 1960's. :D

stonecoldsoonerfan
1/30/2007, 12:06 PM
sounds like a move that frank trigg would use in mixed martial arts. :D

TheUnnamedSooner
2/1/2007, 02:56 PM
Sorry...too much Lightning McQueen.

But yes, "ka-chunked" is a wrestling move, formerly known as the "ka-pow" or "ka-ching", made famous by several OU wrestlers in the mid to late 1960's. :D

I thought Batman mande those famous?

Soonerchaz
2/1/2007, 03:08 PM
And not to powerdown here, but what if that Florida State receiver doesn't allow the ball to fall through his arms in the end zone early in the 4th?

True....but how many Weinke passes did our D drop? About 17?

Still the best defensive performance I've seen from a Sooner team.

TheUnnamedSooner
2/1/2007, 03:17 PM
True....but how many Weinke passes did our D drop? About 17?

Still the best defensive performance I've seen from a Sooner team.

Yes, that one and the performance of the 2001 cottonbowl were excellent!

Pricetag
2/1/2007, 04:01 PM
Switching gears, my three-year-old son loves watching the 1986 Orange Bowl DVD. He calls it "his OU movie." Because he loves it, I've also been watching quite a bit of it lately.

The announcers seemed shocked when Penn State won the toss and Paterno elected to defer to the second half. The one dude is like, "Am I hearing this correctly, that Penn State has elected to defer to the second half and go on defense first?" I have to laugh because that's standard procedure nowadays.

85sooners
2/5/2007, 12:30 PM
:pop: