PDA

View Full Version : Here is my new hobby!

Sooner in Tampa
1/29/2007, 08:54 AM
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/354/boatuk6.jpg

2007 NauticStar 210DC...runs like a champ!!!!
She only has 2 hrs on the motor...I am praying for good weather this weekend and bumping that up. :D

OU4LIFE
1/29/2007, 08:59 AM
that's not a hobby. that's an investment.

SoonerJack
1/29/2007, 09:09 AM
You know what BOAT stands for, right?

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

Have fun

Chuck Bao
1/29/2007, 09:31 AM
Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
A tale of a fateful trip,
That started from this tropic port,
Aboard this tiny ship.

The mate was a mighty sailing man,
The skipper brave and sure.
Five passengers set sail that day,
For a three hour tour, a three hour tour.

The weather started getting rough,
The tiny ship was tossed,
If not for the courage of the fearless crew,
The minnow would be lost, the minnow would be lost.

The ship set ground on the shore of this uncharted desert isle,
With Gilligan,
The Skipper too,
The millionaire and his wife,
The movie star,
The Professor and Mary Ann
Here on Gilligan's Isle.

That's a damn fine sea craft you have there, CarolinaSoonerinFla!

Stay safe and close to shore!

TheHumanAlphabet
1/29/2007, 09:32 AM
that's not a hobby. that's an depreciation.

Fixed it for you...;)

Carolina, have fun, don't mean to break your enthusiam.

I had a friend who bought a boat...

Here is a list of activity...

year purchased: Used every weekend
year +1: Used about 3/4 of available weekends
year +2: Used about 1/4 of the available weekends
year +3: Never put in water
year +4: Never put in water
year +5: Never put in water
year +6: Sold.

landrun
1/29/2007, 09:50 AM
I've wanted to buy a boat before. Going to the lake with the wife and kids is a lot of fun. We all love it.

But I decided against it when I realized that if I made an investment like that, I'd only be able to justify it if I went to the lake every weekend. And I knew I didn't want to go EVERY weekend.

But to each his own. I hope you enjoy it. It is a nice looking boat!

Sooner in Tampa
1/29/2007, 09:51 AM
Fixed it for you...;)

Carolina, have fun, don't mean to break your enthusiam.

I had a friend who bought a boat...

Here is a list of activity...

year purchased: Used every weekend
year +1: Used about 3/4 of available weekends
year +2: Used about 1/4 of the available weekends
year +3: Never put in water
year +4: Never put in water
year +5: Never put in water
year +6: Sold.Trust me, we have heard all of these stories. This purchase is after a couple of years of research on type of boat, cost, and what do we want to use it for. We know that we will probably use it more this year than in the future, but I think that it will get plenty of use with our four kids and our love of the water...and location.

tbl
1/29/2007, 09:56 AM
They say the two best days for a boat owner are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. The latter was so much better than the former, it's not even funny. The weekend after we bought the boat, my wife got pregnant with our first child, so the next summer, I went out probably 6-8 times (and the last time I tore my MCL). Suffice to say I sold it the following spring.

However, if you have kids that are old enough that will enjoy the experience, and have easy access to a lake/river, you should be okay. Otherwise, the downward spiral has begun.

SoonerTerry
1/29/2007, 11:39 AM
That is a beautifill boat!!

I'm saving for a pair of jet skiis when the kid gets around 11 or 12..

OU4LIFE
1/29/2007, 12:01 PM
That is a beautifill boat!!

I'm saving for a pair of jet skiis when the kid gets around 11 or 12..

[SoonerBoarder] DIE IN A FIRE!!!![/SB]

OUinFLA
1/29/2007, 12:23 PM
Being as how CSF lives right smack on Tampa Bay,
the nearest boat ramp is less than 10 minutes away,
He's got a wife who can already back the trailer,
He has 4 daughters,
The weather here is conducive to 310 enjoyable boating days a year,
There are several hundred miles of shorelines and beaches to enjoy within that boats range,
His patience in chosing this boat to own (we've been discussing boats for almost a year)

I suspect he will manage to be in that percentage who will never really want to be without a boat.

I do agree that most who rush into buying a boat without really determining if they have enough time to justify the price will find their boat somewhat unused after the new wears off. Sometimes life throws circumstances your way that keep you from using it. My new boat is now 2 years old and only has 30 hours on it, but, I wouldnt consider giving it up. Business does come first and some unexpected obligations have kept me off the water. But, I still tweak it with new goodies, keep it clean and polished, and love it more than any boat I have had. That makes it at the top of a list of about....11 boats. Only way I would sell it................is if I find something I like better. :D

Congrats CSF, that rig will last you quite a while. Nope, it's not an investment, the investment is in the time your family and you will enjoy it.

Sooner in Tampa
1/29/2007, 12:31 PM
I suspect he will manage to be in that percentage who will never really want to be without a boat.

Congrats CSF, that rig will last you quite a while. Nope, it's not an investment, the investment is in the time your family and you will enjoy it.Thanks again for all of your help OUinFLA...we are going to meet on the water and tell some lies :D

yermom
1/29/2007, 01:07 PM
yeah, i'm thinking having a boat in Florida is a little cooler than having one in Oklahoma

MamaMia
1/29/2007, 02:41 PM
I like your boat. I've spent alot of time in my fathers boats. Its a great family activity. :)

TheHumanAlphabet
1/29/2007, 03:15 PM
Perhaps it is my Scandinavian heritage and pastey white skin that helps me think that the boating/beach lifestyle just isn't for me...;)

At times I wish a was a bit more swarthy...