PDA

View Full Version : Tony Casillas

southern sooner
1/29/2007, 12:16 AM
Did anyone see Tony on Fox 4 tonight (Sunday) sports show. I was very disappointed in his response to "why did you pick OU to attend college". He replied "well I considered Texas, however; Switzer got to me before I crossed the red river", so thats why you decided to go to OU, "that and some other things that we can discuss when the statue of limitations expire... He then put his fingers together and rubbed them - you know implying he was paid.....

A bit uncool, from one of my favorite sooners of the 1980's.....

setem
1/29/2007, 12:22 AM
That is pretty damn crazy that he would do that on TV!

Those guys were monsters on and off the field!

GottaHavePride
1/29/2007, 12:24 AM
I'd imagine there was a lot more of that going on back then than you'd like to believe. Computers/media/internet make tracking stuff like that now MUCH easier than it was 20 years ago.

OSUAggie
1/29/2007, 12:33 AM
Everybody cheated in the 80s. Not a big deal.

goingoneight
1/29/2007, 01:29 AM
Yeah, OSU and Arkansas were in the hotseat just as much as we were. I think Miami and Tejas had a few snoops into their program as well around OUr title year in 85.

The Walk-on
1/29/2007, 10:29 AM
Tony's been known to shoot from the lip.

85sooners
1/29/2007, 10:31 AM
:eek:

stoopified
1/29/2007, 02:21 PM
Even if he was just trying to be funny,it is a very low class thing to do.

BIG_IKE
1/29/2007, 02:59 PM
Especially considering all thats going on now...
But yeah, back in the day everyone did it. SMU was the "example" made by the NCAA. They never recovered from that Death Penalty.

Flagstaffsooner
1/29/2007, 03:05 PM
Tony has always had a thorn up his butt. Great player though.

TexasLidig8r
1/29/2007, 03:43 PM
Everybody cheated in the 80s. Not a big deal.

Why isn't it a "big deal?" Are illegal inducements and under the table payments more palatable because allegedly, "Everyone was doing it?" Surely, you aren't condoning cheating because "everyone else did?"

If that is the mindset, is it surprising that the NCAA comes knocking on school's doors when there appears to be an appearance of improprieties?

OSUAggie
1/29/2007, 03:56 PM
The "big deal" to which I was referring concerns his words/actions on television. Everyone cheated in the 1980s.. That is, everyone that matters to those who frequent this board, and most have the NCAA sanctions to prove it.

And for the record, I don't care about cheating. I've cheated many times. I don't regret any of those occasions. If you get away with it, good for you. If not, hope you didn't leave too much of a paper trail.

Octavian
1/29/2007, 04:01 PM
Why isn't it a "big deal?" Are illegal inducements and under the table payments more palatable because allegedly, "Everyone was doing it?" Surely, you aren't condoning cheating because "everyone else did?"

If that is the mindset, is it surprising that the NCAA comes knocking on school's doors when there appears to be an appearance of improprieties?

Here comes the "pure as the driven snow" horn stance about their program's history.

Nevermind they've been placed on probation multiple times....and their stance on integration was enough to make Bull Connor proud.

Pure as a Chernobyl snowfall.

fwsooner22
1/29/2007, 04:05 PM

Dude......Texas was perhaps the biggest cheater in the 1980's....I believe the NCAA found over 60 violations in an investigation during the late 1980's fortunately for you that was "after" SMU. They did next to nothing to you. You paid players just like everyone else did.

I don't like to hear about any of this crap but it goes on now and went on then. It will always be part of college athletics. Some UT and OU potential recruits are being paid right now. I would bet on it.

birddog
1/29/2007, 04:18 PM
it's statute of limitations, not statue. yeah, it's a sculpture of limitations.

TexasLidig8r
1/29/2007, 04:24 PM
Dude......Texas was perhaps the biggest cheater in the 1980's....I believe the NCAA found over 60 violations in an investigation during the late 1980's fortunately for you that was "after" SMU. They did next to nothing to you. You paid players just like everyone else did.

I don't like to hear about any of this crap but it goes on now and went on then. It will always be part of college athletics. Some UT and OU potential recruits are being paid right now. I would bet on it.

First, my posts were in no way meant as a "Texas is as pure as the driven snow," let's compare the histories of the program. And, I sure as hell am not about to come on here and spew forth tripe about one program being 100% pure and the other program being at the lowest level of Dante's Inferno evil.

As for allegedly "60 violations," go back and look at the NCAA reports. And how many bowl games and television appearances has Texas ever been denied because they were on probation? About the same number national championships Okie Lite has won.. that is.. ZERO.

The point, once again, is, as long as there is an attitude of "everyone does it so it's no big deal," there is a fundamental problem.

TexasLidig8r
1/29/2007, 04:25 PM
And for the record, I don't care about cheating. I've cheated many times. I don't regret any of those occasions. If you get away with it, good for you. If not, hope you didn't leave too much of a paper trail.

Tell me you're kidding. :confused:

OSUAggie
1/29/2007, 04:36 PM

I really do like cheaters. I don't see what the big deal is there. It's not like everyone in college athletics, or any form of athletics for that matter, has adopted the Far East mindset of having one's "honor" at stake with every aspect of their athletic endeavors, whether that be playing, coaching or supporting their respective team/school/program. People cheat. It's human nature. If they don't cheat, they go around the rules, which to me is no different than breaking the rules.

fwsooner22
1/29/2007, 04:39 PM
First, my posts were in no way meant as a "Texas is as pure as the driven snow," let's compare the histories of the program. And, I sure as hell am not about to come on here and spew forth tripe about one program being 100% pure and the other program being at the lowest level of Dante's Inferno evil.

As for allegedly "60 violations," go back and look at the NCAA reports. And how many bowl games and television appearances has Texas ever been denied because they were on probation? About the same number national championships Okie Lite has won.. that is.. ZERO.

The point, once again, is, as long as there is an attitude of "everyone does it so it's no big deal," there is a fundamental problem.
\

Who has cheated more than anyone in the country.....My guess is USC...they will never get more than a hand slap because they are a "cash cow" for the NCAA. Put your beloved Horns in that drawer as well (There are others). There are unnamed untouchables.

When was the last time anyone was put on TV or bowl probation? It doesn't happen anymore. Too much money involved. Heck, someone died at Baylor and they got next to nothing. No one ever died at OU. Almost maybe but.....

You can hide behind your supposed snowy record but there is no way you can say that your alums don't pay players. They did....They do.....and They will.

OSUAggie
1/29/2007, 04:41 PM
...Heck, someone died at Baylor and they got next to nothing....

Whoa... Try again.

TexasLidig8r
1/29/2007, 05:14 PM
I really do like cheaters. I don't see what the big deal is there. It's not like everyone in college athletics, or any form of athletics for that matter, has adopted the Far East mindset of having one's "honor" at stake with every aspect of their athletic endeavors, whether that be playing, coaching or supporting their respective team/school/program. People cheat. It's human nature. If they don't cheat, they go around the rules, which to me is no different than breaking the rules.

So, it's ok to cheat on school exams?
It's ok to cheat in the business world?
It's ok to cheat on your spouse?

Don't they offer/require any type of ethics classes at the two bit cow college of yours? Or, can you cheat your way out of that class too? :rolleyes:

OSUAggie
1/29/2007, 05:16 PM
This is athletics, not life.

fwsooner22
1/29/2007, 05:19 PM
Whoa... Try again.

They took their Non-con and no tournament....where were they going...They would not have even made it to the NIT....Big deal....Did anyone die at SMU. Which one was worse......I realize the argument is without much merit.... I am just saying the NCAA is not going to "blow someone up" ever again.

GrapevineSooner
1/29/2007, 05:21 PM
The 'everyone else cheated so it's OK if we cheat' argument gives me tired head everytime.

Look Tony, if you were paid, I don't want to hear you bragging about it. Go back to making radio ads for Dallas and Fort Worth Can Academies, OK?

OSUAggie
1/29/2007, 05:23 PM
k, I'll agree with that. However, taking away a basketball team's non-conference, post-season, a bunch of scholly's... that's kinda a big deal.

Jello Biafra
1/29/2007, 05:23 PM

nope. no more surprising than when known texas backers are running the NCAA.....now shadddupppp....it happens at your "school" as well. you guys have just had the hush money to get out of it.

Jello Biafra
1/29/2007, 05:25 PM

Don't they offer/require any type of ethics classes at the two bit cow college of yours? Or, can you cheat your way out of that class too? :rolleyes:

funny you should mention these......2 of the three is where your bread is probably buttered. you'd better say something like......"eh. it happens"

85Sooner
1/29/2007, 05:33 PM
Even if he was just trying to be funny,it is a very low class thing to do.

I agree, and I bet he hears about it.

elderlysooner
1/29/2007, 05:35 PM
Here comes the "pure as the driven snow" horn stance about their program's history.

Nevermind they've been placed on probation multiple times....and their stance on integration was enough to make Bull Connor proud.

Pure as a Chernobyl snowfall.
One must remember that the driven snow sometimes has cow sh#t on it.

fwsooner22
1/29/2007, 05:49 PM
One must remember that the driven snow sometimes has cow sh#t on it.

Now that is funny!!!!!:D :D :D

TXBOOMER
1/29/2007, 07:30 PM
I heard about that. Tony is not the brightest bulb on the tree. I'm sure he got paid. Those guys were taken care of back then. All of the big programs did it. I am very disappointed that he implied that even if it happened. These morons in texass all hear that and believe it is going on now. I'm sure there are still perks here and there but if Bob finds out about....well see the Bomar case history.

stonecoldsoonerfan
1/29/2007, 07:33 PM
tony needs to keep his big mouth shut before he becomes Sooner outcast version of oSu's hart lee dykes.

Clock Studies
1/30/2007, 12:39 AM
That's messed up right there.

I don't know what kind of crowd you hang out with, but no one I know (at least that I choose to be friends with) thinks like that.

Wow. I hope you are joking. If not, you have a lot of growing up to do.

Jdog
1/30/2007, 07:58 PM
That's messed up right there.

I don't know what kind of crowd you hang out with, but no one I know (at least that I choose to be friends with) thinks like that.

Wow. I hope you are joking. If not, you have a lot of growing up to do.

I agree. It's not alright to cheat. That attitude almost got OSU the death penalty.
and
Sure the T-sippers cheated in the 70s and 80s. Hell I remember when they had a COACH that bought a recruit (that wound up at OU) a pair of brand new Tony Lamas filled with money. The NCAA put em on probation, cut there scholarships and told em that they couldn’t go to a bowl for 2 years – they proceeded to have a couple of really bad (John Blake) like seasons in which they didn’t qualify for a bowl.

Boomer Mooner
1/30/2007, 09:12 PM
I worked at a "Rent to Own" store in Norman in '85. The owner also had a little side bidness renting xxx rated VHS tapes. When you rented a movie you signed your name and address in a book. Tony came in one day and rented some movies for a party and, naturally, signed Barry Switzers name in the book. He was a pretty funny and good natured guy at the time.

Too bad he's still making bad choices.

TexasLidig8r
1/31/2007, 10:59 AM
I agree. It's not alright to cheat. That attitude almost got OSU the death penalty.
and
Sure the T-sippers cheated in the 70s and 80s. Hell I remember when they had a COACH that bought a recruit (that wound up at OU) a pair of brand new Tony Lamas filled with money. The NCAA put em on probation, cut there scholarships and told em that they couldn’t go to a bowl for 2 years – they proceeded to have a couple of really bad (John Blake) like seasons in which they didn’t qualify for a bowl.

The Marcus Dupree incident was highly disputed.. the "alleged" boots were not filled with money and there was no statement from anyone, or even any insinuation that was the case and the NCAA has never placed a restriction on Texas from appearing in bowl games or on television.

At least try to pretend you can get the facts halfway accurate. :rolleyes:

FaninAma
1/31/2007, 11:44 AM
It sounds ike Casillas was tryng to be humerous or maybe he was playing up to an audience who he thought didn't like OU but it was a stupid thing to say. You just don't burn bridges like that. When you have a relationship with the fans and program of the University of Oklahoma I would think that it would be beneficial to keep the relationship in tip-top shape....especially if you are a businessman or ever want to get into media in the state or have any endorsement deals in the state.

Maybe Casillas is squared away for life financially but it still just does not make any sense that he would run the risk of ****ing OU and it's fans off. They've never treated him with anything but the utmost of respect and gratitude.

Hollieway 85
1/31/2007, 11:58 AM
Why would Tony go on TV and put the program out ther like that? That was dumb. And for him to consider going to Texas. That's crazy!! Loved him as a player but, if he'd wentto Texas. He would have gotten some of those but wuppin's form Boz and the boys!!

Flagstaffsooner
1/31/2007, 12:21 PM

Don't they offer/require any type of ethics classes at the two bit cow college of yours? Or, can you cheat your way out of that class too? :rolleyes:A texass lawyer talking about ethics. Now thats real funny.:rolleyes:

St. Louis Sooner
1/31/2007, 12:50 PM
Maybe Tony's still ticked at how the Huskies blocked him into oblivion in the '85 OB?!! Yes we turned around and won the NC the following year, but man ... his performance that night was the classic example of how opponents' coaching can neutralize the effectiveness of star players. Whew! I'll never forget all those clips of him getting blindsided by their pulling OLs ... the horror ... the horror!

Fraggle145
1/31/2007, 01:21 PM

Cheaters win in nature and Evolution everytime. I think you are mad cuz you got caught, or werent very good at it ;), of course by your occupation I could be mistaken.

Are you going to address the where your bread is buttered comment? I thought that was a good one. Everyone here has cheated at something & I dont feel too guilty about the things I have cheated at/on.

TexasLidig8r
1/31/2007, 04:29 PM
Cheaters win in nature and Evolution everytime. I think you are mad cuz you got caught, or werent very good at it ;), of course by your occupation I could be mistaken.

No reason to cheat. Hard work and intellect are tools of the trade. Do tell how cheaters in evolution "win" every time?

Are you going to address the where your bread is buttered comment? I thought that was a good one. Everyone here has cheated at something & I dont feel too guilty about the things I have cheated at/on.

My bread is buttered representing and consulting with small corporations and businesses... not divorces.. no personal injury cases.

As for you not feeling guilty about "cheating," that's your business.. and, your inadequacies.

As for the attorney bashing... it's all well and good... until you need one to save your nuts. :D

Fraggle145
1/31/2007, 06:55 PM
Although I like the fact that you and Jason Boland get along as per your sig,

Evolution occurs in large part due to cheating and adaptations that have arrived to combat cheating. I dont want this to devolve into a conversation about how evolution works etc, and i guess I should have qualified it before making such a sweeping statement and said most of the time but... For example Numerous birds especially females cheat on territorial males to get the benefit of an extra mating and perhaps better genes while making some poor sucker pay for it. I can go on and on... fish that look like cleaner fish and instead of cleaning they take chunks out of fish that come to be cleaned. There are two types of breeding rainbow trout: big males that dominate physically and sneaky little males that slip into where the big males spawn and fertilize a female's eggs before the big male. Hence cheating the big male out of what he fought so hard to get.

The point is that cheaters often win and by definition pass their genes to the next round, creating more cheaters, nice guys get taken advantage of, win less, and pass on less genes. So basically there are two strategies: (1)work hard/be more talented than cheaters or (2)cheat. And unless a strategy can be devised that has serious consequences for cheaters if they are discovered then they will continue to cheat and to win because their costs are going to be less, by definition of being a cheater.

Anyway, the deal is now in the NCAA there are more severe consequences, then their weren't. Hence, less OBVIOUS cheating...

As for you telling me I am inadequate, if you want to tell me that you feel guilty for cheating on a test in third grade then you would be a better man than I am.

Attorney bashing is fun, you bastards make way too much money just my opinion, in my field (science) we put in at least the same amount of time to get to the end and well, I guess you cant complain about what you love to do... but it would sure be nice to get some more $$$ for it.

Seamus
1/31/2007, 07:43 PM
As for the attorney bashing... it's all well and good... until you need one to save your nuts. :D

Well, he's right. Lawyers do savor nuts ... :texan:

Crimsontothecore
2/1/2007, 01:32 AM
I went to high school with Casillas and believe me, he's not going to win any battle of wits. The guy was dumb as a sack of rocks. Then again, he never seemed to actually attend any classes either. I remember one day when he cut in front of me in the lunch line and I had to smack him around a little bit. (Ok, that last sentence isn't true):D