PDA

View Full Version : DVD RW camcorder peps

OUHOMER
1/28/2007, 07:09 PM
Ok got my new DVD RW installed and seems to be working. Now hers my question. i have a sony camcorder that i want to put our christmas, vacations videos on DVD.

problem 1. when i plug in the camcorder to the usb port, i get no video, which i assumed i would with windows media player. ( i did down load and install the disc that came with the camcorder.

problem 2. I have no idea what program to buy to get the camcorder to work on my puter

please help, and yes i know i stupid when it comes to this stuff:eek:

1stTimeCaller
1/28/2007, 07:25 PM
I tried that with a Mini DV camcorder. Didn't work. I'm 99% sure that the USB will not let you transfer video through it. You need a firewire or IE994(or something like that) port. The USB will only transfer still pictures, not video.

OUHOMER
1/28/2007, 07:45 PM
Well, now, i guess thats just par for me. Nothin simple.

soonerboomer93
1/28/2007, 08:21 PM
yup, normally it requires firewire

some brands only have usb though

tbl
1/28/2007, 08:59 PM
You need firewire. Plug the firewire in and then turn on the camcorder. The pc automatically detects it, then you have to choose the program to capture the video with. I still haven't found a suitable one. Any time I've tried it the files are HUGE.

booomer
1/28/2007, 09:00 PM
You can capture the video from the camcorder to your hard drive and then burn it to DVD via Sonic, Nero, Roxio, MyDVD, etc.

You can buy a capture device at Sam's......it will cost you about $50. It's an external device and I find mine to be very useful.

Mine is called DVDExpress and its made by ADS Tech.

OUHOMER
1/29/2007, 10:10 PM
Thanks I will check it out

soonerboomer93
1/29/2007, 10:47 PM
You can capture the video from the camcorder to your hard drive and then burn it to DVD via Sonic, Nero, Roxio, MyDVD, etc.

You can buy a capture device at Sam's......it will cost you about $50. It's an external device and I find mine to be very useful.

Mine is called DVDExpress and its made by ADS Tech.

Sonic/Roxio/MyDVD are all the same company and the product now is very sucktastic (to put it lightly)

Nero is ok, but I'm not sure what the best software is for editing it

GottaHavePride
1/29/2007, 11:41 PM
You can get a card with three firewire ports in it for $30.

And video files are going to be huge. That's how it is. A standard DVD holds 4.7 gigabytes. Dual-layer holds twice that (roughly). That's why you need firewire - it has a lot higher transfer rate than USB 2.0

booomer
1/30/2007, 12:34 AM
Sonic/Roxio/MyDVD are all the same company and the product now is very sucktastic (to put it lightly)

Nero is ok, but I'm not sure what the best software is for editing it

I love Nero. I use it all the time.

And, since the poster is asking questions and admitting that they are new to this, those applications are typically standard on most PCs.

GottaHavePride
1/30/2007, 12:50 AM
Nero came with my DVD drive. actually, half the reason I picked the Sony drive over some of the other brands was that Nero is better than most of the other programs that were included with the other drives. It's about as good a program as I've seen for free.

soonerboomer93
1/30/2007, 01:00 AM
oh, I own a full copy of nero, quite happily

I used to use MyDVD from sonic because it was suggested by tivo, but then they didn't update the program to keep up with the tivo changes, bought roxio and put out some craptacular piece of junk, was bad enough they had a completely new version out in around 6 months

soonerboomer93
1/30/2007, 01:10 AM
You can get a card with three firewire ports in it for $30.

And video files are going to be huge. That's how it is. A standard DVD holds 4.7 gigabytes. Dual-layer holds twice that (roughly). That's why you need firewire - it has a lot higher transfer rate than USB 2.0

depends on the version of Firewire

USB 2.0 (or HighSpeed USB) has a tranfer rate of 480 mbps
1394a 400 mbps
1394b runs at 400, 800 or 1600mbps depending on several different factors, but the 1600 mbps speed is faster then sata 150 drives can maintain