PDA

View Full Version : Silence is no longer an option

Sooner_Bob
1/28/2007, 05:41 PM
Fonda leads anti-Iraq War rally (http://www.thestar.com/News/article/175684)

I guess it was only a matter of time.

Sooner98
1/28/2007, 06:32 PM
When has silence ever been an option for any of these freaks?

SoonerGirl06
1/28/2007, 06:34 PM
Where were these anti-war protestors before the dems took office?

History is repeating itself... but this time around we have more at stake if we pull out now than we did with Vietnam.

SoonerInKCMO
1/28/2007, 06:53 PM

Well, I saw 'em all over the place. Parks, street corners, downtown plazas. Why didn't you see them? Just not paying attention?

SoonerGirl06
1/28/2007, 06:56 PM
Well, I saw 'em all over the place. Parks, street corners, downtown plazas. Why didn't you see them? Just not paying attention?

I don't call Cindy Sheehan and her friends "war protestors"... I call them nuts.

There just haven't been any protests this large prior to the Dems taking control of the congress. I just find that interesting.

Ike
1/28/2007, 07:02 PM
There just haven't been any protests this large prior to the Dems taking control of the congress. I just find that interesting.

I guess you weren't paying attention.

Up here we've had a good 2 or 3 protests a year since 2003. And they've been pretty large.

SoonerInKCMO
1/28/2007, 07:02 PM
I don't know how large the ones are now or how large they were before the recent elections; I do know, though, that there were plenty of protests going on all over the place since the war began. And, Sheehan wasn't at any of the ones I saw.

SoonerGirl06
1/28/2007, 07:17 PM
I guess you weren't paying attention.

Up here we've had a good 2 or 3 protests a year since 2003. And they've been pretty large.

Well down here we haven't had any. At least not against the war.

SoonerInKCMO
1/28/2007, 07:21 PM
So, where is it that you live, SG6? I find it interesting how much where someone lives affects their perspective of how the general public across the country views a controversial situation such as the war in Iraq. Many peeps in San Francisco or other very liberal areas probably can't imagine that there is anyone for the war... you've seen little to no anti-war activity.

SoonerGirl06
1/28/2007, 07:30 PM
So, where is it that you live, SG6? I find it interesting how much where someone lives affects their perspective of how the general public across the country views a controversial situation such as the war in Iraq. Many peeps in San Francisco or other very liberal areas probably can't imagine that there is anyone for the war... you've seen little to no anti-war activity.

I live in Dallas, KCMO and I consider myself rather informed on situations that go on across the country.

I do realize that there are people against the war... liberal and conservatives alike. However, I don't recall there being large marches against the war held in Washington DC up to this point.

People in San Francisco probably have the most distorted views of what the rest of America think and believe about any issue, let alone the war in Iraq.

Ike
1/28/2007, 07:35 PM
I do realize that there are people against the war... liberal and conservatives alike. However, I don't recall there being large marches against the war held in Washington DC up to this point.

like I said, not paying attention. Either that or a selective memory.

Here's just one, from 2003, which claims 200,000 participants in Washington DC:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/01/18/sproject.irq.us.protests/index.html

here is a rather lengthy (but probably not comprehensive) list of major protests since 2002:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protests_against_the_2003_Iraq_war

TUSooner
1/28/2007, 07:40 PM
When has silence ever been an option for any of these freaks?
Woid, bruh!

SoonerGirl06
1/28/2007, 07:47 PM
like I said, not paying attention. Either that or a selective memory.

Here's just one, from 2003, which claims 200,000 participants in Washington DC:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/01/18/sproject.irq.us.protests/index.html

here is a rather lengthy (but probably not comprehensive) list of major protests since 2002:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protests_against_the_2003_Iraq_war

Thanks for the links Ike, but I'm a little confused. Are those numbers based upon worldwide protests or just here in the US?

And as far as not being informed or having selective memory... Bite me! And I mean that in all due respect... Seriously, I do. :D

Ike
1/28/2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the links Ike, but I'm a little confused. Are those numbers based upon worldwide protests or just here in the US?

the numbers are a little confusing, because some report worldwide numbers, and some report city by city numbers and often these are not properly qualified. But the fact of the matter is that the appearance of anti-war protests are in no way correlated to the democrats winning control of congress.

And as far as not being informed or having selective memory... Bite me! And I mean that in all due respect... Seriously, I do. :D
Since I get this comment all the time, I'll just give my standard, canned, response. (with all due respect of course) ***** ****? ;)
<edit> nevermind...I'll leave out my standard canned response

SoonerGirl06
1/28/2007, 08:01 PM
[QUOTE=Ike]But the fact of the matter is that the appearance of anti-war protests are in no way correlated to the democrats winning control of congress. QUOTE]

I appreciate your opinion. Seriously... I do.

Sooner_Bob
1/28/2007, 10:39 PM
Please don't get my thread locked.

Play nice.

All you have to do if you want to see a protest is drive by any military installation or VA hospital on the weekends and you'll see a few folks with signs and stuff. I've stopped paying any real attention to the larger ones.

This one just caught my eye since it was on my Google home page. :D

VeeJay
1/28/2007, 11:39 PM
I haven't seen details of the demonstration, but I am guessing the Starbucks and Whole Foods crowds turned out, too, and maybe even the PETA folks and "The View"s studio audience, and possibly, some Clinton pardonees.

That in itself would have made for a raucous gathering.

landrun
1/29/2007, 09:54 AM
Silence might not be an option to them, but my listening to their immeasurable stupidity certainly is! :cool: :rolleyes:

tbl
1/29/2007, 10:00 AM
I was in NY in Feb 2003 when we kicked the whole Iraq thing off, and there was a HUGE protest. I was also in DC back in July and there were some mild protests going on (but there always are in DC).

Tear Down This Wall
1/29/2007, 10:39 AM

History is repeating itself... but this time around we have more at stake if we pull out now than we did with Vietnam.

Amen. Although, the millions who were murdered by the Communists in Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, and Vietnam after we weaseled out on the South Vietnamese might beg to differ about who had more at stake. Meanwhile, we lost only 50,000 in 10 years of fighting in Vietnam - an amazingly low number considering the ridiculous rules of engagement (not crossing the DMZ, not able to go into Cambodia, Laos, etc.) placed on our soldiers and Marines back then.

The problem is, as I've said before, is not the deaths, it's that we now see the deaths. Had D-Day been televised, America would have caved. For all of our military strength, we buckle with a few deaths; and now, more than ever, even when we've won the war on the ground in Iraq and now fight insurgents in just a few places across that country.

Don't try to make sense of it 06, just remember the clowns in the GOP who opposed Bush when the 2008 elections roll around. The reason Hillary Clinton or some other Democrat will will in 2008 is not because they are particularly loved by the country's voters, it's that those of us who understand what's at stake won't vote for undercutting cowards like McCain, Hagel, etc. We'll stay at home.

If Johnson, Nixon, Ford, and Carter couldn't take America down in an 18 year span, it's a safe bet it can't be taken down in four years by any joker the Dems throw up in 2008.

85Sooner
1/29/2007, 10:52 AM
Talk to any of the protesters on a one on one basis about just about any subject and it won't take five minutes to determine that they are pretty stupid about everything not just things they are protesting about.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/29/2007, 11:22 AM
If we are going to give in to the dims and their MSM, I sure hope it's because the congress gets trigger-happy and cuts funding. (SO FAR, Bush seems to have the stomach to battle them)

sitzpinkler
1/30/2007, 12:41 PM
I love how you conservatives always spout off about how much you love America and its freedoms, but when you see people exercising their freedoms you do nothing but bitch and moan.

You expect those of us who disagree with this war to shut our mouths and comply but that just isn't going to happen and we don't love this country any less than you do because of it.

SoonerGirl06
1/30/2007, 10:54 PM
The problem is, as I've said before, is not the deaths, it's that we now see the deaths.

Thanks in large part to the media, which is more liberal now than it was back then. Also, Patriotism was a part of life then as well...unlike now where you're not even allowed to say the Pledge of Allegiance or "God Bless America" in some places.

SoonerGirl06
1/30/2007, 11:01 PM
I love how you conservatives always spout off about how much you love America and its freedoms, but when you see people exercising their freedoms you do nothing but bitch and moan.

You expect those of us who disagree with this war to shut our mouths and comply but that just isn't going to happen and we don't love this country any less than you do because of it.

I didn't see any conservatives spitting on soldiers or vandalizing federal property as a show of their affection for their country in Washington, DC on Saturday, did you?

I have no problem with people voicing their opinion, even if it's against what I believe... it's their right. And thankfully we live in a country where we are able to do that. But what bothers me is the manner in which most liberals speak it. Which most of the time is through disrespectful means... (see above for an example).