PDA

View Full Version : Not-so-dead duck has another close call

BajaOklahoma
1/28/2007, 12:40 PM
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Perky is one tough bird.

The ring-neck duck survived being shot and spending two days in a hunter's refrigerator -- and now she's had a close brush with death on a veterinarian's operating table.

The one-pound female duck stopped breathing Saturday during surgery to repair gunshot damage to one wing, said Noni Beck of the Goose Creek Wildlife Sanctuary.

Veterinarian David Hale revived the bird after several tense moments by performing CPR.

"I started crying, 'She's alive!"' Beck said.

Perky entered the headlines last week after a hunter's wife opened her refrigerator door and the should've-been-dead duck lifted its head and looked at her. The bird had been in the fridge for two days since being shot and presumed killed Jan. 15.

Perky is recovering with a pin installed in the fractured wing, and probably will not have more surgery because of her sensitivity to anesthesia, Hale said.

I probably would have had a heart attack if I opened the fridge and found a live duck.

Jerk
1/28/2007, 12:54 PM
What kind of dumbass puts a game animal in a fridge without cleaning it first?

Soonerus
1/28/2007, 12:59 PM
Funny, reminds me a little of the movie, "Tommy Boy"

SoonerGirl06
1/28/2007, 01:02 PM

The same kind of dumbass who doesn't make sure it's dead before he puts it in there.

olevetonahill
1/28/2007, 01:34 PM
That was kinda MY 1st thought .

proud gonzo
1/28/2007, 02:45 PM
ought to shoot the dumbass who shot the bird :mad: i don't mind hunting, but I mind retards

jacru
1/28/2007, 02:49 PM
Why the change of heart? Wring its neck, clean it, and cook it.

proud gonzo
1/28/2007, 02:53 PM
i think his wife rescued it

jacru
1/28/2007, 02:55 PM
not exactly a pioneer woman, eh?

SoonerGirl06
1/28/2007, 03:18 PM
i think his wife rescued it

I would have done the same thing. The dumbbutt husband lost his chance when he didn't kill it.

Sooner_Bob
1/28/2007, 03:43 PM
I don't think my wife would've touched it, much less rescue it.

Frozen Sooner
1/28/2007, 04:15 PM
Why the change of heart? Wring its neck, clean it, and cook it.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I mean, it's not like he shot the duck by accident-why bring the dang thing to the vet?

"Here little ducky, I'm going to go ahead and shell out some big money to repair your wing. Then I'm going to nurse you back to health and release you in the wild. Hopefully, next year, I can get a kill shot on you."

SoonerGirl06
1/28/2007, 04:21 PM
I'm not into hunting, but isn't there a way for the hunter to have known that the duck wasn't dead before he put it in the refrig? :confused:

proud gonzo
1/28/2007, 04:28 PM
I would have done the same thing. I mean, i don't have a problem with people going hunting, but the guy was an inept imbecile. Sure, most animals are meant to be food, but they shouldn't have to suffer in a fridge for two days. that's just cruel.

I'd say if the duck survived being shot and stuck in a fridge for two days, and the hunter was too stupid to be able to kill a duck, he doesn't deserve to eat it, and the duck doesn't deserve to die.

proud gonzo
1/28/2007, 04:29 PM
That's kind of what I'm thinking. I mean, it's not like he shot the duck by accident-why bring the dang thing to the vet?

"Here little ducky, I'm going to go ahead and shell out some big money to repair your wing. Then I'm going to nurse you back to health and release you in the wild. Hopefully, next year, I can get a kill shot on you."i'd keep it as a pet to remind the retarded husband just how bad a hunter he is.

KABOOKIE
1/28/2007, 09:16 PM
I'm not into hunting, but isn't there a way for the hunter to have known that the duck wasn't dead before he put it in the refrig? :confused:

Well, I shot a duck once and the thing dropped flat from about 50 feet in the air. No floppin'. No squakin'. Just dead duck. My dog hopped in the water and brought back this limp dead duck. I laid the duck down next to me and waited for the next shot. About 10 minutes later I look down and there's this dead duck now looking at me. Weird!

SoonerGirl06
1/28/2007, 09:49 PM
Well, I shot a duck once and the thing dropped flat from about 50 feet in the air. No floppin'. No squakin'. Just dead duck. My dog hopped in the water and brought back this limp dead duck. I laid the duck down next to me and waited for the next shot. About 10 minutes later I look down and there's this dead duck now looking at me. Weird!

Okay... stupid question here... but do you not check their pulse or something?

sanantoniosooner
1/28/2007, 09:57 PM
Okay... stupid question here... but do you not check their pulse or something?
Maybe the funniest thing I've read ever.

SoonerGirl06
1/28/2007, 10:06 PM
Maybe the funniest thing I've read ever.

:D

Jerk
1/28/2007, 10:38 PM

Yes, in fact there is.

Clean it.

jacru
1/28/2007, 10:54 PM
When you begin with incompetence, it opens up all sorts of possibilities. :D

soonerboomer93
1/28/2007, 10:55 PM
isn't 1 lb pretty small for a duck too?

I mean, that's not even big enough for a good snack, especially after you clean it

Viking Kitten
1/28/2007, 11:01 PM
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Perky is one tough bird.

The ring-neck duck survived being shot and spending two days in a hunter's refrigerator -- and now she's had a close brush with death on a veterinarian's operating table.

The one-pound female duck stopped breathing Saturday during surgery to repair gunshot damage to one wing, said Noni Beck of the Goose Creek Wildlife Sanctuary.

Veterinarian David Hale revived the bird after several tense moments by performing CPR.

"I started crying, 'She's alive!"' Beck said.

Perky entered the headlines last week after a hunter's wife opened her refrigerator door and the should've-been-dead duck lifted its head and looked at her. The bird had been in the fridge for two days since being shot and presumed killed Jan. 15.

Perky is recovering with a pin installed in the fractured wing, and probably will not have more surgery because of her sensitivity to anesthesia, Hale said.

I probably would have had a heart attack if I opened the fridge and found a live duck.

Thank you God that this is not a three-day weekend. Dean should be at work tomorrow and I cannot wait to hear him weigh in on this.

:pop:

BudSooner
1/29/2007, 12:03 AM
Thank you God that this is not a three-day weekend. Dean should be at work tomorrow and I cannot wait to hear him weigh in on this.

:pop:

Heh, that was my first thought also.
:D

setem
1/29/2007, 12:11 AM
I know he thought it was dead in all, but the hell did he not ring it's neck. I dont care if I think the bird is dead or not. I ring it's neck almost first thing! When I 1st started bird hunting, I can not tell you how many times I would have a bird start trying to escape from back pouch. Also ducks are pretty clean birds but almost all wild game have some kind of bug living on them. Why would anyone want to expose the food in the fridge to bugs?