PDA

View Full Version : Should presidential candidates

OUHOMER
1/28/2007, 11:09 AM
That are in the political office resign to run for president? I mean they are going to spend so much time, there is no way they can represent their constituents. Unless a person owns their own business how can they keep their job and run. I know I would be fired if I was not at work.

So I think they all should quit if they are running for president.

tbl
1/28/2007, 11:10 AM
Good point.

yermom
1/28/2007, 01:52 PM
that will go over like term limits and a pay cut ;)

Okla-homey
1/28/2007, 01:56 PM
Sorry. Good idea, but not practical.

While it seems like a perfectly rational notion, such a measure would not survive constitutional scrutiny by the courts. If such a law were passed, it would substantially narrow the field of available presidential candidates. It would also add a extra qualification to the Article II Presidential eligibility requirements laid down by the framers which are pretty simple; at least 35 y/o, native born, and at least 14 years residence in the US immediately prior to inauguration.

This is not to mention that the hue and cry would be long and loud from all the wannabe-presidents currently serving in Congress and in the various Governors Mansions, and thus, no such bill would have a chance in either house.

In short, it would take a Constitutional amendment. Good luck with that.;)

olevetonahill
1/28/2007, 02:03 PM
Plus what about an Incumbent pres. running for re-election ?
Should he have to resign the Office hes seeking a second term at ?
I to like the idea , but NOway jose will it ever work

jacru
1/28/2007, 02:33 PM
Elected officials don't work that much anyway. :D
They just do a lot of harm with little effort. :mad:

Okla-homey
1/28/2007, 02:38 PM
Elected officials don't work that much anyway. :D
They just do a lot of harm with little effort. :mad:

You got that right. The durn Housemembers are always running. That two-year term is a beyotch.;)

Honestly, it makes you wonder WTH motivates a guy to go do that. Some pundits have opined its like Hollywood for people too ugly to get famous in movies.:D

SicEmBaylor
1/28/2007, 02:58 PM
Honestly, it makes you wonder WTH motivates a guy to go do that. Some pundits have opined its like Hollywood for people too ugly to get famous in movies.:D

I think Henry Waxman would take issue with that assertion.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/28/2007, 03:02 PM
I think Henry Waxman would take issue with that assertion.One could wonder about the appearances of the majority in his district, if one was to ponder such things.