PDA

View Full Version : Capel's capabilities...

TJKDone
1/28/2007, 10:08 AM
Give me a sooner perspective on what you see to be Coach Capel's strengths and weaknesses thus far.

Hook'em

Okieflyer
1/28/2007, 10:14 AM
Too early to tell. But he's sure got more out of this team than I thought he could. They played your horns a lot better than I thought and the both aggies better. We'll see when he gets better talent.

By the way, what are all those little red dots under your avatar?;)

King Crimson
1/28/2007, 10:18 AM
i think Coach does a pretty good job getting effort and while i was a supporter of Coach Sampson......his teams did a very poor job of getting looks against a zone D. which is part of the reason lesser teams went zone against us in conference. after losing a 3 point designate like Timmy Heskett or Hollis....we tanked against a well-played zone.

i like Capel's motion O, and once we get some players who can shoot the ball i think we'll be pretty good. when was the last time one of Kelvin's teams scored on the backdoor cut?

badger
1/28/2007, 02:56 PM
they fought the aggies till the end!!!

TJKDone
1/28/2007, 06:24 PM
Without having any headcoaching experience to judge him by, I had a strong sense that he'd be a bit better X/O guy than Sampson. That seems to be the opinion you guys have expressed.

The questions that aren't answered thus far:

1) whether or not he can summon the messianic level of intensity that always characterized you guys under Sampson

2) whether he can recruit the elite athletes required to compete at the highest level year in and out.

I personally like Joe C's hiring practice thus far and believe that Capel will be a very good coach for you in the long run.

Hook'em

OSUAggie
1/28/2007, 10:15 PM
Without having any headcoaching experience to judge him by, I had a strong sense that he'd be a bit better X/O guy than Sampson. That seems to be the opinion you guys have expressed.

The questions that aren't answered thus far:

1) whether or not he can summon the messianic level of intensity that always characterized you guys under Sampson

2) whether he can recruit the elite athletes required to compete at the highest level year in and out.

I personally like Joe C's hiring practice thus far and believe that Capel will be a very good coach for you in the long run.

(He's not a first-year head coach)

I believe those questions were answered with, "too soon to tell."

However, thus far, the intensity on the defensive end doesn't seem to have fallen off a bit under the new regime. I wouldn't look for that to fall off anytime soon.

His recruiting thus far has been above-average to very good. Considering he hasn't been in Norman for a year yet, I would expect that to not be a problem.

He probably has this team playing above expectations, and they have really improved offensively throughout the year. They have played pretty well on the road of late (i.e @OSU and @aTm, and played decent at times @UT), but OU still lost. Time will tell whether or not those close losses will turn into victories, but I think they will. Thus far, it appears to be a pretty solid hire.

GottaHavePride
1/28/2007, 10:33 PM
I like that we actually seem to HAVE an offesive scheme other than "dribble the ball around 8 feet past the 3-point arc until there are 8 seconds left on the shot clock, then everyone clear out and give the ball to Nate Carter/Ebi Ere/Nolan Johnson and see what happens"

And once he gets a chance to recruit some depth I think we'll be ok - we're pretty thin at a few positions this year. Capel seemed to have a knack for getting the most out of his players at VCU, so I look forward to seeing what he can do with a program that actually does have a bit of basketball history. (OSU can feel free to laugh here, but we've made it to a few Final Fours, nearly won the '88 championship, and I think we have the longest active streak of postseason appearances in the country right now.)

OSUAggie
1/28/2007, 10:44 PM
HAHA! ;)

For the record, Sampson seems to be doing all right @ Indiana, and they even run an offense and score some points every now and then. However, Capel's style probably is more appropriate to the OU fanbase.

GottaHavePride
1/29/2007, 12:12 AM
HAHA! ;)

For the record, Sampson seems to be doing all right @ Indiana, and they even run an offense and score some points every now and then. However, Capel's style probably is more appropriate to the OU fanbase.

From what I can see so far, he's still beating all the teams he should be beating, losing to teams he should lose to, and occasionally getting caught off guard and punked by Butler. ;)

Ash
1/29/2007, 12:46 AM
HAHA! ;)

Didn't they go through something like a 10 minute offensive drought in one of their last games?:rolleyes:

illinisooner
1/29/2007, 01:46 AM
Didn't they go through something like a 10 minute offensive drought in one of their last games?:rolleyes:

Yeah, over ten minutes without a FG and IIRC close to 17 mins where they only made one. A few years ago when Illinois went 37-2, they held Indiana without a FG for the last ten mins of the game (in Bloomington) to hang on for the win. So I wouldn't put the blame on Kelvin for the crappy shooting.

stoopified
1/29/2007, 01:48 PM
who is this Kelvin guy anyway?:D

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/29/2007, 03:11 PM
The honest answer is that I don't have any big questions regarding Capel at this point other than maybe how well will he do when has a team that has more talent/experience than the teams he is playing against.

1. The question of experience was answered in my mind. I'm not saying that the team can't improve but by and large when you look at the things on a court that come down to coaching: spacing on offense, use of head fakes, good fundamental defense, rebounding,etc the team looks real good.

He also seems to be getting maximum effort out of the team.

2. All evidence so far shows that he can recruit. He left his previous team in much better shape than he inherited it and not only does this years class look good but he is already doing well for the next year.

3. He definitely can x and o.

I have little doubt OU will be a power again under his tenure. My main questions are how soon (late run this year?, next-year?) and how long he will be here. Joe C hit a home run with this hire.

Jeopardude
1/29/2007, 03:14 PM
Capel's capabilities? He's good at the three and solid on D.

birddog
1/29/2007, 08:49 PM
and he's improved his ability to throw down hoagies since he quit playing.

Van Wilder
1/30/2007, 10:20 AM
Capel's capabilities? He's good at the three and solid on D.

:D