PDA

View Full Version : i miss the days

PDXsooner
1/28/2007, 01:22 AM
when recruiting was nothing but a bunch of names announced and listed in the spring issue of sooner illustrated and you had no idea who any of these guys were until their second or third year in the program.

the attention given to recruiting nowadays is ridiculous, and i'll go into the grave (or oven) never getting too excited over how many stars, or asterisks, or gold bars, or stickers some kid has because it means nothing until they prove themselves.

goingoneight
1/28/2007, 05:03 AM
It will all hush up if USC goes on probation and Neuter Dame returns to their mediocre status among the elite names of college ball. Ala 2000-2001, great college FB was played, no one wanted to know what so-and-so's coach was last seen eating and stuff.

snp
1/28/2007, 05:40 PM
Then you can't come to O'Connell's signing day party.

LittleWingSooner
1/28/2007, 05:57 PM
It is silly. Most of the time recruiting is pretty much a crap shoot. It's hard to tell if you have a great class from what someone did in high school.

Jeopardude
1/28/2007, 07:02 PM
My fave is on sports radio when callers call in during heated discussions on Super Bowl or March Madness or anything happening now and ask "Hey, so-and-so made a visit to OU this weekend. How did that go?"

stoops the eternal pimp
1/28/2007, 07:25 PM
i still have those vhs videos they would send out in the 90's with all the recruits and highlights.. i went through and watched some of them last week.

okienole3
1/28/2007, 07:34 PM
i still have those vhs videos they would send out in the 90's with all the recruits and highlights.. i went through and watched some of them last week.

anyone stick out?

85sooners
1/28/2007, 07:37 PM
:rolleyes:

snp
1/28/2007, 09:12 PM
It is silly. Most of the time recruiting is pretty much a crap shoot. It's hard to tell if you have a great class from what someone did in high school.

Yea, real hard. I don't understand why teams like OU, UT, USC, Florida, Michigan, Ohio State, LSU, Auburn continue to get the best recruiting classes and the best rankings.

OSUAggie
1/28/2007, 09:54 PM
Yea, real hard. I don't understand why teams like OU, UT, USC, Florida, Michigan, Ohio State, LSU, Auburn continue to get the best recruiting classes and the best rankings.

Are you insinuating that recruiting is, in fact, important or something? I don't quite understand this post... ;)

snp
1/28/2007, 10:26 PM
Of course not. I feel like a Magic 8 Ball is the way to go when it comes down to who should OU go after or not.

PDXsooner
1/28/2007, 11:13 PM
it's not that recruiting isn't important, it's that giving a snot-nosed "5-star" all this attention when they've proved nothing on the field yet is a waste of time. not to mention that the number of stars isn't nearly as accurate a predictor as many would suggest.

LittleWingSooner
1/28/2007, 11:17 PM
Number of stars is usually based on what schools are recruiting a kid.

snp
1/28/2007, 11:46 PM
Listening to people who don't follow recruiting discuss how it works is always fun. I'm going to go ask a mime how to sing.

Ash
1/29/2007, 12:55 AM
Listening to people who don't follow recruiting discuss how it works is always fun. I'm going to go ask a mime how to sing.

Perhaps in addition to sniping, you could impart some of your wisdom on the ignorant masses.

snp
1/29/2007, 02:48 AM
Perhaps in addition to sniping, you could impart some of your wisdom on the ignorant masses.

Fine. Although this has been discussed ad nauseum.

it's not that recruiting isn't important, it's that giving a snot-nosed "5-star" all this attention when they've proved nothing on the field yet is a waste of time. not to mention that the number of stars isn't nearly as accurate a predictor as many would suggest.

It's a PROJECTION. It's not set in stone since recruiting is not an exact science. Everyone in the world knows that just because you're a 5* you will not become an All-American. However, as more money and time is being invested into recruiting, it's becoming more accurate.

Number of stars is usually based on what schools are recruiting a kid.

No, the better schools happen to snag the better kids and shockingly, they're rated higher on average than the lesser schools and the lesser kids. You think it's a coincidence when you look at all the leftovers other schools get and how poorly they play?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/29/2007, 08:46 AM
anyone stick out?

that jarrod reese is going to save this program

Hollieway 85
1/29/2007, 10:10 AM
Well first you have to be able to sell your program. And the the kids have to like it what you're selling. And then you have to win!! All of those schools that you have mentioned have great recruiters.

PDXsooner
1/29/2007, 02:24 PM
recruiting isn't overrated, recruited rankings are.

stoopified
1/29/2007, 02:27 PM
that jarrod reese is going to save this program
Word.